Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #452
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure this news will make JIMGa really upset:

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #453
MrBug708
Head Coach

@KimGrinolds: Mora playing with fire Flirting with the big boys and when it gets down to it says no It's going to bite him in the butt one of these day
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #454
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My gut feeling is that on Tuesday morning they are going to announce Charlie Strong at Texas.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #455
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
@KimGrinolds: Mora playing with fire Flirting with the big boys and when it gets down to it says no It's going to bite him in the butt one of these day
Is that one of his players? Someone connected to the AD? A journalist?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #456
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

There's maybe a kernal of truth to this. Johnson has been frustrated at times with the administration at Ga Tech. He had been promised some changes in expanded majors and things like that, but Feldman is overblowing things. One of Johnson's other gripes was answered last year when he got an expanded budget to hire a recruiting staff (yes, Ga Tech never had one previously--they now have a staff of four). But it is overblown to say he is hoping he gets bought out.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #457
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Abe’s Expectations!

1). Punctual – It is very important to be on time for stuff.

2). Communication – Vitally important in this position. Don’t give me an opportunity to ask, “Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier?” Especially with residents. I prefer e-mail always, because then it’s written and I can respond, forward it on, and keep a record, and so forth.

3). Feedback - I love getting feedback and am happy to receive it. I am not a perfect AC (not yet, anyway!) and I still am learning and getting better. Let me know if there is something I can do better. I expect you to be similarly open to feedback.

4). It’s all new! This is like Fall Training almost – brand new AC, brand new staff, brand new students coming in, and so forth. It’s a learning opportunity for everyone. I will still be asking questions about the Village and Fairfield and such. We are all still getting to know each other, so give it time, and enjoy the new!

5). I expect you to “Work your Floors” at least three times a week. Working your floors is my terminology for walking, knocking on doors, and engaging with your residents. Ask them how classes are going, work, internships, concerns they have etc. Talk with them and build relationships.

6). Relationships are the Primary Key. On a similar note, our complex is all upper-class men of various sorts. No freshmen. Programs are important, but not as vital as they are in first-year areas. My primary focus is on the relationships you are building with your residents. Get to know them and their lives. Be a part of the living community. That is where we will have our primary success.

Abe’s Expectations!

2). Communication – Vitally important in this position. Don’t give me an opportunity to ask, “Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier?” Especially with residents. I prefer e-mail always, because then it’s written and I can respond, forward it on, and keep a record, and so forth.

3). Feedback - I love getting feedback and am happy to receive it. I am not a perfect AC (not yet, anyway!) and I still am learning and getting better. Let me know if there is something I can do better. I expect you to be similarly open to feedback.

4). It’s all new! This is like Fall Training almost – brand new AC, brand new staff, brand new students coming in, and so forth. It’s a learning opportunity for everyone. I will still be asking questions about the Village and Fairfield and such. We are all still getting to know each other, so give it time, and enjoy the new!

5). I expect you to “Work your Floors” at least three times a week. Working your floors is my terminology for walking, knocking on doors, and engaging with your residents. Ask them how classes are going, work, internships, concerns they have etc. Talk with them and build relationships.

6). Relationships are the Primary Key. On a similar note, our complex is all upper-class men of various sorts. No freshmen. Programs are important, but not as vital as they are in first-year areas. My primary focus is on the relationships you are building with your residents. Get to know them and their lives. Be a part of the living community. That is where we will have our primary success.

7). Support IRHA and the Village Hall Government. I expect you to attend one meeting or program a month by the Village folks. For example, most of the staff was at the Lighting of the Lounges event in December. That would count as your requirement for the month. You could attend the weekly meeting. If you cannot make the Village one, then you may attend an IRHA meeting instead. Just e-mail me what activity that you attended for that month. This is our students in action; the very students that we serve. We should be there a ttheir events and meetings to demonstrate our support.

8).

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #458
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Is Abe nominating his dorm RA for the Texas job?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #459
Logan
Head Coach

Possibly the most random "Ctrl+V" ever?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #460
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd be ... well maybe "emotional" is a good word to use here
Old 01-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #461
Butter
Coordinator

I want to know what #8 is. Don't leave me hanging!!!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #462
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Is that one of his players? Someone connected to the AD? A journalist?
He's one of the owners of the Scout.com Washington site. He enjoys stirring the pot.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #463
Logan
Head Coach

Golden to PSU seems to be picking up more steam.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #464
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, sorry about that..

But um...here rare my full list, finally edited and such:

Abe’s Expectations!

6). Relationships are the Primary Key. On a similar note, our complex is all upper-classmen of various sorts. No freshmen. Programs are important, but not as vital as they are in first-year areas. My primary focus is on the relationships you are building with your residents. Get to know them and their lives. Be a part of the living community. That is where we will have our primary success.

7). Support IRHA and the Village Hall Government. I expect you to attend one meeting or program a month by the Village folks. For example, most of the staff was at the Lighting of the Lounges event in December. That would count as your requirement for the month. You could attend the weekly meeting. If you cannot make the Village one, then you may attend an IRHA meeting instead. Just e-mail me what activity that you attended for that month. This is our students in action; the very students that we serve. We should be at their events and meetings to demonstrate our support.

8). Bulletin Boards - I mentioned this in an e-mail, but they need to provide information to students, in addition to looking good. Refresh all of the signage we have and put up new stuff. A board can't just say "Welcome to Claver Hall!" It needs to help our students in some way too. Everything we do should be harnessed to help students. Also, take down signs and posters as events end. Students will tune out flyers for new programs if old ones are still up.

9). Never make assumptions when working with students. Ask questions, engage, them, but don't assume.

10). Respect privacy a lot. Keep it. Don't talk about students' private information ever, and don't share stories with other staff in public places, like dining areas or lounges. Do it in rooms or don;t do it at all.

11). Keep your room door open. When you are in your room and you aren't sleeping, studyign or causing noise (such as video games), keep your door open. It helps to build relationships with residents and to allay the "My RA is never here," syndrome.

12). Watch your language. Try to keep from calling adults residents children, kids, boys or girls. Don't say that you will, "write them up," or that a floor meeting is, "mandatory." Stay clear of, "You need to do this," and insert "I need you to do this." Be adults with them; they are adults. They have adult consequences to their actions. Just because they are newly minted-adults doesn't mean they shouldn't be getting that respect.

13). What about you? Is there anything I should add?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #465
Kodos
Resident Alien

Is it okay to verbally demean a student if I am having a bad day?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #466
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I like giving my staff opportunities for input.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #467
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Is it okay to verbally demean a student if I am having a bad day?

Depends on your record the last 3 seasons

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #468
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I like giving my staff opportunities for input.

We all have new jobs now? Sweet!

Wait, I never wanted to be an RA. That job looked like a lot more of a headache than it was worth

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #469
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Golden to PSU seems to be picking up more steam.

Doesn't seem like that great of a hire. I know Miami has their issues, but 9-4 with four of those loses being by 18+.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #470
Kodos
Resident Alien

And one of them being to Indiana!

Edit: Whoops. Thought you were referring to PSU's record...

Last edited by Kodos : 01-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #471
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
He's one of the owners of the Scout.com Washington site. He enjoys stirring the pot.

He thinks he is more important than he is
Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #472
Atocep
Coordinator

Sounding like Charlie Strong to Texas.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #473
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Charlie Strong to Texas for $5M per according to reports...
Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #474
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, looks like the Texas hire is panning out exactly as I had predicted. Just a disaster to go from Mack Brown to Charlie Strong. Not even close to the home run hire they would have liked.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #475
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Boy, looks like the Texas hire is panning out exactly as I had predicted. Just a disaster to go from Mack Brown to Charlie Strong. Not even close to the home run hire they would have liked.

Humor me. What was the realistic home run hire you think they wanted? Saban sure as hell wasn't going.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-03-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #476
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Humor me. What was the realistic home run hire you think they wanted? Saban sure as hell wasn't going.

We heard it all. Who wouldn't want to coach at Texas? No way anyone turns them down if they have the opportunity.

Simple fact is that they had to go past their top 5 to find a coach and had to pay $5M to get a coach from Louisville to come to the school. That is not what most people expected and anyone who says otherwise is putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #477
MrBug708
Head Coach

I like this madeup narrative of MBBF. It adds spice to things.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #478
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

The only thing funnier than the coaching hire at Texas is that they took the time to announce it literally moments after a Mizzou win in Dallas. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.........
Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #479
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I like this madeup narrative of MBBF. It adds spice to things.

Humor me. Which part is made up?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #480
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
We heard it all. Who wouldn't want to coach at Texas? No way anyone turns them down if they have the opportunity.

Simple fact is that they had to go past their top 5 to find a coach and had to pay $5M to get a coach from Louisville to come to the school. That is not what most people expected and anyone who says otherwise is putting lipstick on a pig.

Who exactly was their top 5? Saban signed an extension before Brown ever resigned, so he obviously wasn't an option. Art Briles? There was never any evidence Texas wanted him.

I think they got a great coach in Charlie Strong.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #481
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
dola

The only thing funnier than the coaching hire at Texas is that they took the time to announce it literally moments after a Mizzou win in Dallas. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.........

Where is that tinfoil hat at anyways?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #482
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Who exactly was their top 5? Saban signed an extension before Brown ever resigned, so he obviously wasn't an option. Art Briles? There was never any evidence Texas wanted him.

I think they got a great coach in Charlie Strong.

He may be a great coach. That's obviously to be seen. But he wasn't on the home run hire list that most circulated. He's a double if you're being kind.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #483
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Where is that tinfoil hat at anyways?

You'll have to ask the program who's leaders are obsessed with Mizzou.

And I'll assume your lack of a response to my previous question means you were just blowing smoke.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-03-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #484
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
dola

I read about it before the game ended...
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #485
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #486
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
I read about it before the game ended...

Oh, thank God. That should clear it up. They announced it as Mizzou was slam dunking a B12 team in the waning moments of the game.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #487
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
He may be a great coach. That's obviously to be seen. But he wasn't on the home run hire list that most circulated. He's a double if you're being kind.

Who was on this supposed list that were all ahead of Charlie Strong?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #488
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The difference between the fans top 5 and the actual top 5 is massive at every school that has an opening.

The "list" I've seen has been Fisher, Strong, Franklin, and Briles for some time. Fisher signed an extension and Strong definitely ranked above Briles and likely ranked ahead of Franklin as well.

The fact that this is somehow spun as Texas slumming for a coach and trying to upstage Mizzou shouldn't come as a surprise at this point.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #489
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Humor me. Which part is made up?

Disaster
Mack Brown to Strong
Not a homerun hire
Waiting for Missouri to finish their game
Missed out their top 5

Not sure if you want me to keep kicking you while your on the ground.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #490
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The difference between the fans top 5 and the actual top 5 is massive at every school that has an opening.

The "list" I've seen has been Fisher, Strong, Franklin, and Briles for some time. Fisher signed an extension and Strong definitely ranked above Briles and likely ranked ahead of Franklin as well.

The fact that this is somehow spun as Texas slumming for a coach and trying to upstage Mizzou shouldn't come as a surprise at this point.

Original list at Orangebloods.com was as follows (interest listed in parenthesis):

Nick Saban (Medium)
Urban Meyer (Medium)
Jimbo Fisher (Medium)
Gus Malzahn (Medium)
Les Miles (Medium)
Jim Harbaugh (Medium)
David Shaw (Medium)
Art Briles (Medium)
Jim Mora (Low)
James Franklin (Low)
Charles Strong (Low)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #491
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Original list at Orangebloods.com was as follows (interest listed in parenthesis):

Nick Saban (Medium)
Urban Meyer (Medium)
Jimbo Fisher (Medium)
Gus Malzahn (Medium)
Les Miles (Medium)
Jim Harbaugh (Medium)
David Shaw (Medium)
Art Briles (Medium)
Jim Mora (Low)
James Franklin (Low)
Charles Strong (Low)

Is this you admitting Orangebloods is now legit?

You're like a muppet on this board.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #492
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Nick Saban (Medium)
Urban Meyer (Medium)
Jimbo Fisher (Medium)
Gus Malzahn (Medium)
Les Miles (Medium)
Jim Harbaugh (Medium)
David Shaw (Medium)
Art Briles (Medium)
Jim Mora (Low)
James Franklin (Low)
Charles Strong (Low)

Based on your previous opinions I don't think you'd disagree that this is nothing more than a fan list.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #493
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Nick Saban (Medium)
Urban Meyer (Medium)
Jimbo Fisher (Medium)
Gus Malzahn (Medium)
Les Miles (Medium)
Jim Harbaugh (Medium)
David Shaw (Medium)
Art Briles (Medium)
Jim Mora (Low)
James Franklin (Low)
Charles Strong (Low)

There are only two names on that "list" that were remotely likely to move and that was Franklin and Strong. It looks more like a fans/boosters wish list than something that came from the Texas athletic department.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #494
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Is this you admitting Orangebloods is now legit?

You're like a muppet on this board.

I just have to go with the list that the AD, errrrrr, Orangebloods.com is reporting. I also said the following after seeing the list

Quote:
We'll see who's right on the coach in due time. I do find it hilarious that the hot list I linked out repeatedly says on most of the candidates that 'Texas won't have to go that low on the list'. They better edit those comments while they still have a chance to do so because they're not getting anyone on the top part of that list.

Guess what? If you view the exact same link at the hot list, Charles Strong is now listed as 'medium' interest and the second best candidate.

Like shooting tin cans off a fence.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #495
MrBug708
Head Coach

This is FHM's list of the top 10 hottest girls

10. Georgia Salpa

9. Cheryl Cole

8. Kate Upton

7. Pixie Lott

6. Kaley Cuoco

5. Kelly Brook

4. Michelle Keegan

3. Helen Flanagan

2. Rihanna

1. Mila Kunis

So if you land Salpa, you had to settle and banged a pretty ugly girl...lol
Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #496
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
There are only two names on that "list" that were remotely likely to move and that was Franklin and Strong. It looks more like a fans/boosters wish list than something that came from the Texas athletic department.

So you think that none of those other coaches were contacted by UT? I obviously don't know, but I'd find that very hard to believe. Strong was probably their 5th or 6th option at best. Anyone who thinks that they didn't think they could land some of those other coaches doesn't know the Texas program and leadership very well. We know that Saban, Briles and Mora were all contacted at a minimum. I'm sure there were others that didn't go public.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-04-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #497
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My gut feeling is that on Tuesday morning they are going to announce Charlie Strong at Texas.

I was a couple of days off on the announcement.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #498
cartman
Death Herald

You have zero clue what was going on behind the closed doors in Austin, MBBF. It is ludicrous to even suggest that you did. You base your entire view of how the Texas athletic department operates off of a throwaway quote from a couple of years ago by the now former AD.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #499
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
So you think that none of those other coaches were contacted by UT? I obviously don't know, but I'd find that very hard to believe. Strong was probably their 5th or 6th option at best. Anyone who thinks that they didn't think they could land some of those other coaches doesn't know the Texas program and leadership very well. We know that Saban, Briles and Mora were all contacted at a minimum. I'm sure there were others that didn't go public.

We simply don't know who all was actually on the list and who Texas actually vetted and decided against on their own? The rumor was that Briles was ready to accept the Texas job if offered. Briles is higher on your "list" than Strong. So what happened? Why isn't he going to Texas?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #500
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You have zero clue what was going on behind the closed doors in Austin, MBBF. It is ludicrous to even suggest that you did. You base your entire view of how the Texas athletic department operates off of a throwaway quote from a couple of years ago by the now former AD.

Of course, of course. This is obviously a new and improved Texas.