Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #451
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
This site has been updating signings: 2011 NFL Undrafted Free Agents | NEPatriotsDraft.com - Patriots NFL Draft Site

As for UNLV players:
Falcons - Matt Murphy (OL, UNLV)

Yeah, this is the site I usually use. Seems to be the most comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #452
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Ike Taylor resigns for 4-years with the Steelers.

You needed to slightly alter your screen name to post this
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #453
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, sounds like we'll see Hasselbeck in Tennessee, McNabb in Minnesota, and Kolb in Arizona. Leaving Cinti and possibly Miami as the remaining obvious place without a guy for right now. Not sure what the market is for Orton, exactly... I guess Miami might think seriously about taking a look there, assuming they see what I see in Henne.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #454
Kodos
Resident Alien

Orton in Miami... Ouch.

It's been tough sledding at QB for the Dolphins since Marino retired. Maybe they shouldn't have run him off.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #455
QuikSand
lolzcat

I root for the Dolphins helmet, too... I don't know what I want there. I really don't believe that Orton is anything special, but they seem to be developing enough of a core there that maybe a caretaker don't-lose-the-game guy makes sense. With a decent veteran QB (you know the type, nothing that special but maybe a 2:1 TD:Int ratio and a credible threat to throw all around the field) is this maybe a 10-11 win team?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #456
Thomkal
Head Coach

And in the most important news of free agency: Coastal Carolina's Tyler Thigpen signs with Buffalo. Seriously though this was the best move Thigpen could make-knows the system and had some success with Chan Gailey in KC, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is not exactly Peyton Manning.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #457
spleen1015
Coordinator

Am I crazy?

If Asomugha signs with the Jets, I think that makes them the favorites in the AFC. 2 shutdown CB? Fuck me.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #458
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
You needed to slightly alter your screen name to post this

I almost did, but it was late after watching the Pirates' travesty.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #459
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Am I crazy?

If Asomugha signs with the Jets, I think that makes them the favorites in the AFC. 2 shutdown CB? Fuck me.

But not much offense? (Edwards & Holmes both FAs)
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #460
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I root for the Dolphins helmet, too... I don't know what I want there. I really don't believe that Orton is anything special, but they seem to be developing enough of a core there that maybe a caretaker don't-lose-the-game guy makes sense. With a decent veteran QB (you know the type, nothing that special but maybe a 2:1 TD:Int ratio and a credible threat to throw all around the field) is this maybe a 10-11 win team?

I think that Orton is underrated. He has improved every year in the league. And there is still, in my mind, a small chance that he could take a leap to Very Good. At a minimum, he seems able to give you the 2:1 TD-Int ratio with ~60% completion. How is that not a huge leap over Chad Henne?

And, I think that the fact that Orton looks like a huge goober actually makes us all underrate him a bit. Kind of a reverse Leinart effect.

Basically, unless the Broncos are asking for something stupid for him, I think that the Dolphins should jump at him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #461
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
But not much offense? (Edwards & Holmes both FAs)

They are very close to a SB. I think they'll go for it and keep them both. If they can't do that, they'll at least keep Holmes, IMO.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #462
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I crazy?

*Glass half-full*

I dunno that this worries me as much as maybe it should...it means you'll have to throw at one of them, and although they're both very good, QBs have been avoiding them both for a couple years now - they're in essence intimidating offenses into throwing away from them by reputation - didn't we see with Champ Bailey that it's not the end of the world to have to throw at a "shutdown corner" or am I remembering that all wrong?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #463
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Interesting rooting dynamic for WVU fans following the Eagles. Two of the more recent favorites are on the roster in Owen Schmitt and now Devine, but they are backfield mates with major rivals from the past with VPI's Vick and Pitt's LeSean McCoy.

Plus, they drafted Dion Lewis this year. It seems as if they just get all of their RB scouting out of the way at the Brawl
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #464
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If only the Bengals had a GM they might have a very good offseason. They have to spend somewhere around 36 million to get to the floor. They could easily keep Joseph and fill some holes on both lines and get a veteran QB to mentor Dalton.

But in the real world they'll probably lose Joseph and overpay for a few more Odom like guys.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #465
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
They are very close to a SB. I think they'll go for it and keep them both. If they can't do that, they'll at least keep Holmes, IMO.

No way they'll afford Nnamdi, Edwards and Holmes. Would be surprised if they could do Nnamdi and one of the two, though I guess it would depend in how much Asomugha is willing to give up to go to them.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #466
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Dola - Well, we'll see. Holmes locked up to 5 year deal. They may just say fuck depth and have 20 guys making the league minimum.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 07-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #467
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Sanchez does rework his deal, along with the retirement of Jenkins and probable retirement of Woody, I think they have more space than people are giving them credit for.

That being said, I don't think Nnamdi is a good way to spend your remaining cap space if you are the Jets. I think he's going to get hugely overpaid for his talent level and like DT said, part of paying for a "shutdown corner" is paying the myth that teams have to throw away from him on every play. If you put him opposite Revis he's going to get thrown on a lot, and I don't think he's THAT good.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #468
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

From GangGreen.com:

Quote:
Current cap: $102 m
Harris Tag: $11m
Rookie deals: $4 m
Total cap: $117 m
NFL Cap: $120 m

We have the following notable FAs:
Shaun Ellis
Steve Weatherford
Brodney Pool
Tony Richardson
Braylon Edwards
Wayne Hunter
Antonio Cromartie
Santonio Holmes
Eric Smith
Brad Smith
Drew Coleman
Kellen Clemens
Nick Folk
James Ihedigbo
Robert Turner

Obviously prior to the Holmes signing and other reworkings, etc. But a lot of holes to fill without a lot of money with which to do it. Asomugha is a luxury for them, if they nab him they'll have to get pretty creative to fill out the team.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #469
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that Orton is underrated. He has improved every year in the league. And there is still, in my mind, a small chance that he could take a leap to Very Good. At a minimum, he seems able to give you the 2:1 TD-Int ratio with ~60% completion. How is that not a huge leap over Chad Henne?

And, I think that the fact that Orton looks like a huge goober actually makes us all underrate him a bit. Kind of a reverse Leinart effect.

Basically, unless the Broncos are asking for something stupid for him, I think that the Dolphins should jump at him.

I'm a Dolphins fan and I could support a move to get Orton as long as they don't give up something stupid since Orton is only signed through this year.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #470
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I get the feeling that Seattle is going to be a train wreck this year...
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #471
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If Sanchez does rework his deal, along with the retirement of Jenkins and probable retirement of Woody, I think they have more space than people are giving them credit for.

That being said, I don't think Nnamdi is a good way to spend your remaining cap space if you are the Jets. I think he's going to get hugely overpaid for his talent level and like DT said, part of paying for a "shutdown corner" is paying the myth that teams have to throw away from him on every play. If you put him opposite Revis he's going to get thrown on a lot, and I don't think he's THAT good.

I'm with you. Their pass defense two years ago was #1 in the league and they still had problems because they didn't have a pass rush, and which remains the case now.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #472
JediKooter
Coordinator

I heard the Chargers signed Takeo Spikes...9-7 here we come!!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #473
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Holmes agrees to a five year deal with the Jets.

New York Jets agree to deal with Santonio Holmes, sources say - ESPN New York
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #474
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I heard the Chargers signed Takeo Spikes...9-7 here we come!!!!

But think of all the great stories you'll get to hear about how he has to order special shirts because his neck is so big!

Yeah... that got old after we heard about it the first dozen times during his rookie season here in Cincinnati.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #475
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm a Dolphins fan and I could support a move to get Orton as long as they don't give up something stupid since Orton is only signed through this year.

Which they will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #476
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
But think of all the great stories you'll get to hear about how he has to order special shirts because his neck is so big!

Yeah... that got old after we heard about it the first dozen times during his rookie season here in Cincinnati.

I can't wait. I hope he does most of his talking on the field, but, I'm not holding my breath. Both the Chargers and the Padres have this unique ability to sign star players...well past their prime.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #477
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Anybody else find it strange that, after months and months of screaming poverty and wanting to reign in player costs, within days of the lockout ending, owners continue to give enormous guarantees to non-elite players

Santonio Holmes gets 24 million guaranteed from the Jets
Charles Johnson gets 30 million guaranteed from the Panthers
Doug Free gets 17 million guaranteed from the Cowboys
Marshall Yanda gets 5 yrs/32 million (guarantee unknown) from the Ravens
Paul Posluszny gets 6 yrs from the Jaguars
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #478
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003 View Post
Anybody else find it strange that, after months and months of screaming poverty and wanting to reign in player costs, within days of the lockout ending, owners continue to give enormous guarantees to non-elite players

This. You know Dan Snyder is furious he hasn't given a 36 year old 50 million guaranteed yet.

That being said I don't know why any league mandates spending up to a certain floor or % of the cap, because it inevitably leads to some of these terrible deals. It does very little to improve the product on the field, mostly it just leads to mediocre players getting ridiculous deals that will hurt those teams down the line. Just look at some of the deals that the NHL gave out this offseason.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #479
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Not sure if those are great examples. Johnson was considered by those that know more than me to be the best pass rusher in FA with three straight years of 10+ sacks. Add in that I'm sure Carolina needs to spend a lot to get to the floor.

Think of it another way...after the lockout, Johnson got $30 million guaranteed based on that past performance. Before the lockout, Gerald McCoy, the #3 pick in the draft last year, got $35 million guaranteed.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #480
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Teams have to spend to the floor.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #481
Logan
Head Coach

I'm mildly excited that the Niners seem to lead for Asomuga.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #482
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That being said I don't know why any league mandates spending up to a certain floor or % of the cap, because it inevitably leads to some of these terrible deals. It does very little to improve the product on the field, mostly it just leads to mediocre players getting ridiculous deals that will hurt those teams down the line. Just look at some of the deals that the NHL gave out this offseason.

Leagues don't want a floor, the players want a floor. It's a concession to the players, not something the owners want.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #483
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I get the feeling that Seattle is going to be a train wreck this year...
Yep...7-9 at best. Wait...
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #484
spleen1015
Coordinator

I really hope the Redskins don't go after Edwards before Rice.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #485
spleen1015
Coordinator

Jabar Gaffney traded to the 'Skins! He just became one of my keepers!!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #486
Radii
Head Coach

Carolina Panthers, DeAngelo Williams agree to $43M deal, sources say - ESPN

I'm fine with giving Charles Johnson lots of money. But with Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson and the fact that Williams missed 10 games last year, I dunno about this one.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #487
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Ugh was hoping Leinart wouldn't go to Seattle. Makes sense given the connection to the head coach. The boneheaded moves my beloved Cards made at QB last season could really come back to haunt them if Leinart gets the starting job and then beats the Cards, especially if they don't go after Kolb.

Interesting Leinart has twittered that he has not signed with Seattle yet.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #488
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Interesting Leinart has twittered that he has not signed with Seattle yet.

He resigned with the Texans.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #489
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
He resigned with the Texans.

Really? That's a bizarre move if true.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #490
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

No. If I'm an team/owner, I'd rather be paying $105 million to players than $125 million, but once the level is set, I'm going to try to do the best I can within whatever everyone's limits are. Sure, some teams are dumb about it and spend poorly within their limitations -- but that would be the case at any set of limits.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #491
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
No. If I'm an team/owner, I'd rather be paying $105 million to players than $125 million, but once the level is set, I'm going to try to do the best I can within whatever everyone's limits are. Sure, some teams are dumb about it and spend poorly within their limitations -- but that would be the case at any set of limits.

I agree with you. My line of thinking was more that all of these big money contracts to good players - but not All-Pro caliber players - just further proves that the owners claims of poverty throughout the negotiations was a complete line of bullshit. If it truly was killing their business and was causing a majority of owners to run at a loss, they wouldn't have made a deal until they got more salary givebacks, or also been more willing to open up their books.

At this first glance of how the "new" NFL player market operates, it doesn't seem very different than the previous one. I guess we won't really see the first signs of change until the top rookies from the 2011 draft sign their contracts, Cam Newton in particular.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #492
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Sources: Plaxico Burress likely to New York Giants or Pittsburgh Steelers - ESPN
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #493
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can't see him back in Pittsburgh unless his price is in the veteran/journeyman range (which it probably won't be). With our cap situation, adding another established receiver seems like a luxury and we have actual needs to address.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #494
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree with you. My line of thinking was more that all of these big money contracts to good players - but not All-Pro caliber players - just further proves that the owners claims of poverty throughout the negotiations was a complete line of bullshit. If it truly was killing their business and was causing a majority of owners to run at a loss, they wouldn't have made a deal until they got more salary givebacks, or also been more willing to open up their books.

At this first glance of how the "new" NFL player market operates, it doesn't seem very different than the previous one. I guess we won't really see the first signs of change until the top rookies from the 2011 draft sign their contracts, Cam Newton in particular.

There is a CAP FLOOR, DEMANDED by the players. Some teams HAVE to throw money around to meet that floor. The total cap is below 2009 levels, so in the end they will in fact be spending less.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #495
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Instead of giving 75 million to Can't Newton, the Panthers will instead give him 22 million, and give Deangelo 40. I think the market finally functions as it should.

Last edited by stevew : 07-27-2011 at 04:01 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #496
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

At this first glance of how the "new" NFL player market operates, it doesn't seem very different than the previous one.

All of that stuff was just in the context of fighting over how to split the giant pie of profits for the new labor agreement, that's all. The second its all agreed to we're back to business as usual, which IMO is generally a great thing for a league as successful and making as much money as the NFL does. Your comments seem more relevant to the NBA's situation I would imagine.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #497
BillJasper
Pro Starter

This one is a real head scratcher. Twenty-one million guaranteed to a guy who can't stay healthy and is less than two years away from the dreaded 30.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #498
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
There is a CAP FLOOR, DEMANDED by the players. Some teams HAVE to throw money around to meet that floor. The total cap is below 2009 levels, so in the end they will in fact be spending less.

Are they still able to give a player an attainable performance bonus that the player will never reach?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #499
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Are they still able to give a player an attainable performance bonus that the player will never reach?

Yes, but the floor is based on actual cash spent.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #500
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This one is a real head scratcher. Twenty-one million guaranteed to a guy who can't stay healthy and is less than two years away from the dreaded 30.

Without seeing a breakdown, it could easily be a 3 yr deal that has cap hits in the 6M range for the first 3 years. I'm sure the out years are at like 10m/year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote