Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #451
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
It was meant (from the NFL's disorted sense) to prevent a dominant team from loading up for another run; a big part of what the NFL sells (I don't agree that's it true, but they sell) is that "everyone has a shot at success."

No, the whole point of these rules was to make it unpalatable for both the owners and the players to head into this uncapped year so they'd get another collective bargaining agreement in place in time. 5th and 6th year players remain restricted, and 8 teams can't do much. Yes, they picked this particular one so that the top teams couldn't spend all their playoff money on new players and load up, but it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a "good thing", it was supposed to be something those owners would want to avoid and push for a new agreements.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #452
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The Saints are kind of just stuck sitting on their hands now... but Sharper is out there, I think we will let him test the market- see his value isn't that great and give him an offer comparable to what he could get somewhere else...and if someone like Snyder or Jones wants to throw crazy money, we let him walk.

Scott Fujita is visiting Cleveland, I imagine if they make him an offer he'll give us a chance to match he seems to love living in NOLA... So he is getting up there in age, and one of the players we could use an upgrade at- but I hope he's back for at least one more year.

As far as FAs go- the DT that Carolina cut might be a good fit, and if Delhomme doesn't get any offers we could go after him to come in and be the backup instead of ole man Brunell. Just depends on what is out there for him, if a team can offer him a chance then he should take that but if he is going to be a backup it'd be nice for him to come back to Louisiana.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #453
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dammit, I like Boldin's toughness... but he's on the Ravens now? Dammit!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #454
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So A.J. Feely gets a 2 year, $6 million deal from the Rams?

Am I missing something, like where he hasn't sucked?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #455
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
So A.J. Feely gets a 2 year, $6 million deal from the Rams?

Am I missing something, like where he hasn't sucked?

Well if you add in the suckiness of the Rams front office this deal makes sense.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #456
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Scott Fujita signed with the Browns... damn

I was really hoping we'd keep him- but he's one of the easier ones to replace on defense. Oh well, now we can sign 1 FA. On the field we will be fine, just sucks because off the field he was a great guy, he gave about 20k to coastal restoration to help New Orleans just the other day.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #457
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lions get Chris Houston for a 6th and switching 5th's.

He's had his issues in Atlanta on the field but at 25 years old coming to a more pressing style of coverage, this is a no lose deal for Detroit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #458
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

He's had his issues in Atlanta on the field but at 25 years old coming to a more pressing style of coverage, this is a no lose deal for Detroit.

I don't know much about Chris Houston, but since the Lions have all of one CB on the roster, I am fine with trading a 6th round pick for him.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #459
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, Kampman goes to the Jaguars for pretty much exactly the same deal that the Lions gave Vanden Bosch. I'd much rather have Kampman.

Oh well... I hope KVB works out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #460
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Be prepared to be constantly frustrated when Houston never turns his head in coverage and just flails his arms at the receiver.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #461
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards get Kerry Rhodes from the Jets for a fourth round pick-probably the one they just got from Baltimore in the Boldin trade, and gave up a 7th rounder in the next draft. So basically the Cards got a 3rd rounder for Boldin. I know Rhodes was on the outs with the Jets coaching, but he ended the season well after being taken out as the starter, but the Cardinals secondary is pretty much a big gaping hole right now, so he should help to plug it a bit.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #462
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Be prepared to be constantly frustrated when Houston never turns his head in coverage and just flails his arms at the receiver.

That's a step up from the constant break on a ball they have no business going for coverage we've seen the past 8 years sadly.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #463
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well Julius, you couldn't have wanted to stay THAT bad:

Peppers wanted to stay in Carolina
Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #464
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I was kind of hoping the Bears would go for Marshall as well, since they're breaking the bank anyways. After all, with Cutler having about 0.6 seconds each snap before being sacked, there are going to be a lot of jump balls in Chi-town next year.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #465
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I admire the Bears going balls out and what not, but don't they desperately need an offensive line?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #466
remper
Mascot

yeah they do... but they also need to get some pressure on the QB or their secondary will continue to be exposed. Last year the offense didn't help things at all with turnovers, obviously, but the defense was brutally bad. If anyone else saw the Bengals game... good lord were they bad....
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #467
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
yeah they do... but they also need to get some pressure on the QB or their secondary will continue to be exposed. Last year the offense didn't help things at all with turnovers, obviously, but the defense was brutally bad. If anyone else saw the Bengals game... good lord were they bad....

Whenver I hear someone talk about how bad their team is/was or how bad their team's defense was, I always feel the urge to get all Buffalo Bill from "Silence Of The Lambs" on them and scream, "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT BAD IS!"
Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #468
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's how I feel when speaking to my Florida State fan parents when they say how "bad" their team is these days. I tell them as an Indiana football fan that they have no idea what bad is.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #469
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Will Allen? Isn't he pretty good at chasing down a receiver that got past him for a tackle? Ryan Clark is very good, but I hope we're drafting a safety/corner instead of just going with Allen.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #470
remper
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Whenver I hear someone talk about how bad their team is/was or how bad their team's defense was, I always feel the urge to get all Buffalo Bill from "Silence Of The Lambs" on them and scream, "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT BAD IS!"

OK, let me qualify that statement. They weren't "Detroit Bad." But I've got to ask if you saw the Bengals-Bears game. That WAS "Detroit Bad" And there were a few other blow outs because the Bears couldn't stop a damn thing.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #471
Raiders Army
Coordinator

What, nothing about the $500K the Jets gave Cromartie so he could go to court?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #472
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not sure how reliable this is, but Profootballtalk.com is reporting that the Steelers have resigned Ryan Clark and are bringing back Antwaan Randle El.

Interesting, if true. Clark seemed to be as good as gone yesterday. I've never been overly impressed with him, but he seems well regarded around the league. Randle El is even more interesting, as I'm not sure if he has much left in the tank and, honestly, if there is even much of a role for him on the team. I always liked him and thought he was a good slot guy, but unless we are going 5-wide, you would think the Steelers would rather have Ward, Holmes, Wallace, and Miller on the field as often as possible.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #473
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers have also signed Tackle Jonathan Scott (who I have never heard of) from Buffalo and Arnaz Battle from San Franciso.

Oddly, Allen, Clark, Randle El, and Battle were all signed to 3-year (or longer) deals. That sounds a bit strange for all but Clark. I haven't heard the details for Scott.

With Randle El and Battle being signed, I'm guessing Limas Sweed's days are numbered. Kind of a shame, as he seems really talented and capable of getting open, but the staff has probably (and understandably) lost faith in him after some very costly drops over the past two seasons. I wonder if he is worth a late round pick to someone.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #474
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sadness swept across the steeler nation today as it is looking more like Lord Tyrone has played his last game for us.

I like the moves. We still need another back. I heard we might go after Foote again too.
They basically need to extend Santonio and woodley.

Hopefully Dixon puts the time in this offseason.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #475
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder where the Steelers go in the first round now? It seemed like Earl Thomas was a likely target, but I can't see going for a first round safety now that Clark is back and Allen has been added. It doesn't look like there are any cornerbacks worthy of that pick, so I'm guessing best available OL or nose tackle?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #476
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Steelers have also signed Tackle Jonathan Scott (who I have never heard of) from Buffalo and Arnaz Battle from San Franciso.

Oddly, Allen, Clark, Randle El, and Battle were all signed to 3-year (or longer) deals. That sounds a bit strange for all but Clark. I haven't heard the details for Scott.

With Randle El and Battle being signed, I'm guessing Limas Sweed's days are numbered. Kind of a shame, as he seems really talented and capable of getting open, but the staff has probably (and understandably) lost faith in him after some very costly drops over the past two seasons. I wonder if he is worth a late round pick to someone.

Per NFL.com

Allen $4.5M over 3, which is worth it if he makes 2 special teams tackles, and maybe plays a little dime D.

Clark got $16M over 4...seems like 1 year too long probably. But escalating salaries over the course of the deal and like $6M bonus, he never sees that last year.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #477
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wonder where the Steelers go in the first round now? It seemed like Earl Thomas was a likely target, but I can't see going for a first round safety now that Clark is back and Allen has been added. It doesn't look like there are any cornerbacks worthy of that pick, so I'm guessing best available OL or nose tackle?

OL (Iaputi or if Trent Williams is there at 18) makes sense. If they absolutely love Dan Williams, then like you say NT.

Or would they go 3-4 DE in back to back years and take Jared Odrick?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #478
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it is just a year to go best player available.

I'd draft anything but a WR. I'd even draft a QB if Claussen or Bradford see on ghe board(they won't be).

There's a certain point when I can't tolerate frat boy behavior out of the "team leader". I'm getting to my limit with Ben.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #479
MrDNA
High School Varsity

QB Seneca Wallace from Seahawks to Browns for a coniditional 2011 pick. Have to wonder if they're planning anything else regarding QB or if Holmgren is just really high on Wallace.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #480
Logan
Head Coach

Mike Teel!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #481
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Well they are working out Tebow this week...(god please no)
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #482
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Steelers have a history of going after the best football players, not reaching for need, and drafting guys even at positions where they have clear starters. They draft before they have a gaping hole. See last year, when they took Ziggy Hood while have their entire starting DL filled.

If they draft for need, it will be an OL.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #483
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Eagles found someone to give them something back for Reggie Brown. Tampa sends Philly a 6th rounder.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #484
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not bad Steelers moves. I hope Randle El is just there as a #4 or 5 WR, and for trick plays. Not sure what Battle is for then, #5 WR? But nice to see Clark back.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #485
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Some reports that the Pats and Leigh Bodden have agreed to a new contract. He was one of the few bright spots on D last year, so I'm happy to have him back if true.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #486
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
The Eagles found someone to give them something back for Reggie Brown. Tampa sends Philly a 6th rounder.

I think Tampa Bay got its colors confused. Maybe they thought they were getting Reggie White?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #487
Swaggs
Coordinator

It sounds like Battle is a pretty accomplished special teams guy and I think I read that he was SF's special teams' captain. If he is a solid ST guy that can be the 5th or 6th receiver, I'm on board. Special teams probably cost us 2-3 wins last season with all of the TD returns.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #488
DataKing
Pro Rookie

So I just noticed Jim Sorgi was released by the Colts and signed by the Giants. Does this make him an honorary Manning or something? Hopefully the guy at least gets Christmas cards.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #489
Swaggs
Coordinator

Does anyone else find Adam Schefter to be overly smug?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #490
Galaril
Pro Starter

Titans sign LB free agent Will Weatherspoon for a 3 yr. $11 mill deal. I don't know much about this guy but it sounds like he will fill in nicely for Keith Bulluck who is gone and was losing a step or two.................
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #491
Galaril
Pro Starter

Broncos sign big boy Jamal Williams to anchor McDaniels 3-4 and should help school up some of the younger NTs on the roster ala NE. And speaking of New england Denver signed Jarvis Green so along with Bannam from Baltimore they may not have a Pro Bowl front 3 but it sure is an improvement and they also have last years starters to back these guys. Now they just need to draft an ILB to go with DJ Williams and the defense is more or less set.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #492
Travis
Pro Rookie

Johnny just sent me this

Donavon Mcnabb Traded to San Fransisco- ESPN

Which is funny because earlier in the day I asked him what his reaction would be if Philly traded Vick to the Rams, Kolb to the Seahawks and McNabb to the Cards.

Serves me right for leaving the 49ers out of the discussion.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #493
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Johnny just sent me this

Donavon Mcnabb Traded to San Fransisco- ESPN

Which is funny because earlier in the day I asked him what his reaction would be if Philly traded Vick to the Rams, Kolb to the Seahawks and McNabb to the Cards.

Serves me right for leaving the 49ers out of the discussion.

Wow... Hard for me to believe that the Eagles actually did it.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #494
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Donavon is going to has his work cut out for him. And a 1rst round pick???
Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #495
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wowsers. Highway robbery by the Iggles.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-10-2010 at 03:40 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #496
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

"Donavon"

"San Fransisco"

Nice spelling, dickbag.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #497
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

That isn't real, people.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #498
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Right, a team of all pros or a team of scrubs, either way Mcnabb will never get a ring. Well, if he's on the bench maybe.

I am very surprised to see they got a 1st for him, seems like a no brainer to me.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #499
Swaggs
Coordinator

Doh!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #500
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow... Hard for me to believe that the Eagles actually did it.

No, they didn't. Site linked isn't ESPN, story can't be found on ESPN.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote