Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #5351
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well The Economist is far more Classic Liberal Conservative. So they hate everything Trump stands for aside from tax cuts .

Heh, True
Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #5352
Edward64
Head Coach

Good job Texas.

I've not heard of any other states already surpassing 2016 totals but let's hope more states follow. It would be fantastic if we can go from 2016 58% to the 70s (but I read a while ago the projection was in high 60's only).

Quote:
More than 9 million people have voted in the key state of Texas, surpassing the state’s total turnout from the 2016 general election, with one more day of in-person early voting and Election Day voting to go.

The high turnout so far accounts for about 53% of registered voters in the state. Total registered voters has grown 12% since 2016, or almost 1.9 million people.

On Thursday, 432,634 people voted in person, bringing the total in-person votes to 8,062,615, according to the Texas Secretary of State’s website. Ballots-by-mail, which will continue to come in, account for 947,235 votes so far.

Texas had 8.96 million ballots cast in the 2016 election.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-30-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #5353
Atocep
Coordinator

Can Trump win again despite the polls? FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver on 2016’s lessons - Vox

Great interview with Nate Silver at Vox concerning the election, comparisons to 2016,and the likelihood of an electoral crisis. Transcript of the interview is at the bottom.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #5354
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

According to Liberal Twitter, we should freak out because Biden is campaigning in the Blue Wall states, meaning that his internal polling is showing that those states aren't in the bag.

AND we should freak out b/c Biden is campaigning outside of the Blue Wall states, meaning that he is making Hillary's mistake of taking the Blue Wall for granted.

Sigh.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #5355
Kodos
Resident Alien

Freaked out people view more articles.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-30-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #5356
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
According to Liberal Twitter, we should freak out because Biden is campaigning in the Blue Wall states, meaning that his internal polling is showing that those states aren't in the bag.

AND we should freak out b/c Biden is campaigning outside of the Blue Wall states, meaning that he is making Hillary's mistake of taking the Blue Wall for granted.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #5357
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There are occasions on which liberal twitter doesn't hit the nail squarely on the head.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #5358
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

FWIW, I tend to agree with Nate Silver that, in races with lots of public polling (like this one), it is easy to over-read what the campaigns are doing.

They are not likely to have much more accurate internal numbers than the public information.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #5359
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Trump's said he intends to hold 15 rallies in 3 days, which seems excessive.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #5360
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So my dream scenario for Tuesday is that Trump is clearly behind by Tuesday night and the only way he can win is to argue that we have to wait and count all of the absentee ballots. That way, he and the GOP will have hung themselves by both pushing people to vote early thanks to the USPS and other transparent voter suppression tactics AND limited most of the effect absentee ballots could have in his favor by some of the court challenges they have won.

Man would that scenario be SWEET!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-30-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #5361
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So my dream scenario for Tuesday is that Trump is clearly behind by Tuesday night and the only way he can win is to argue that we have to wait and count all of the absentee ballots. That way, he and the GOP will have hung themselves by both pushing people to vote early thanks to the USPS and other transparent voter suppression tactics AND limited most of the effect absentee ballots could have in his favor by some of the court challenges they have won.

I think that's entirely possible. Some of those suppression tactics have likely worked just as well against their own (relatively old) base as anybody else, right?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #5362
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What would make that especially sweet is it would likely cost them some close Senate/House races that could be decided by late absentees. Also,it would just make the margin he lost by much bigger, providing further embarrasment.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 10-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #5363
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I think that's entirely possible. Some of those suppression tactics have likely worked just as well against their own (relatively old) base as anybody else, right?

As far as registration goes, Dems hold a 30 point lead with ballots already cast. They hold a 12 point lead with outstanding ballots. In this environment I'd rather already have my votes cast than rely on people to get out with limited polling stations and Covid.

The fact that the GOP telegraphed their voter suppression so blatantly this time plus lessons learned from Georgia in 2016 may hurt their own voters more than Dems.

Last edited by Atocep : 10-30-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #5364
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The fact that the GOP telegraphed their voter suppression so blatantly this time plus lessons learned from Georgia in 2016 may hurt their own voters more than Dems.

Yep. We were more than ready this time. Every Democrat out there told people to make a Plan: vote early or drop ballots off. Don't depend on the mail unless you send it in like a month before hand.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #5365
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm paying attention to the mail now and it's getting attention nationally, but not nearly enough. I'm not sure Dems can do anything until/unless Biden wins but my son is finally receiving a letter from the VA regarding his GI bill claim (he's been in school for a month and a half) postmarked the 21st from Kansas.

Last edited by Atocep : 10-30-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #5366
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Good job Texas.

I've not heard of any other states already surpassing 2016 totals but let's hope more states follow. It would be fantastic if we can go from 2016 58% to the 70s (but I read a while ago the projection was in high 60's only).

If Texas, California, New York fo blue, does BiDen even need anything else?

man the electoral numbers REALLY make ZERO sense
Old 10-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #5367
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dropped our ballots off Monday night, and it still took Tuesday and Wednesday for them to make it a grand total of 15 miles to the office so they could be received on Thursday. Of course, they can't start counting these ballots til Tuesday at 9am, because PA is a stupid state.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #5368
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

The most perfect scenario would be for this to happen yet Biden have such a lead that the ballots not counted won't change the outcome.

It is not likely but this is what I am hoping for.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #5369
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The interactive map, when blank, is showing 63% Biden.
That was 2 days ago. NC now showing 66-34.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #5370
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Trump's said he intends to hold 15 rallies in 3 days, which seems excessive.

I would think this has a negative effect. He already has the maniacs who go to these things in the bag. Everyone else sees how irresponsible he is being with them and it reeks of desperation.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #5371
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He won't rest, until everyone has Covid!
Old 10-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #5372
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trump loves the rallies.

I think that he's doing them just b/c he likes doing them.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #5373
BYU 14
Coordinator

There is no better way for a narcissist to feed his ego than having 5-10K sycophants cheering every meandering, disjointed thing that comes out of his mouth.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #5374
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would think this has a negative effect. He already has the maniacs who go to these things in the bag. Everyone else sees how irresponsible he is being with them and it reeks of desperation.

He's already into desperation. I mean, the only way he can lose is if the 4+1 court justices let him!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 10-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #5375
spleen1015
Coordinator

Just in case folks want this info.

When Do Polls Close? When Should We Expect Election Results? | FiveThirtyEight
Old 10-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #5376
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just attended another honk n' wave (tm) in Mason and met Kate Schrader who is running for our House seat that was fricking gerimandered within an inch of its life.
Got a picture with her.

Last time I was at this spot a week ago honks were sparse. This time every stoplight the honks were off the charts!

This is much more rural than the Sharonville one I was at...altho the Sharonville one is still burbland usually red. But lotsa blue

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-30-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #5377
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
There is no better way for a narcissist to feed his ego than having 5-10K sycophants cheering every meandering, disjointed thing that comes out of his mouth.

that's called phlegm
Old 10-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #5378
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

When Will Mail-In Ballots Be Counted And Processed? : NPR
Old 10-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #5379
molson
General Manager

Why does it take SO much longer to count mailed/drop-off ballots v. in-person? Isn't it just opening the envelope and verifying the signature? In-person, they still have to do some kind verification, hand someone a ballot, direct him to the booth, get the ballot back, put in the machine, etc.

Plus the in-person voting comes in throughout the day, all the way to the time the polls close, where the received mailed ballots are all ready to go in the morning (for states that wait to count until then).
Old 10-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #5380
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Wow that's pretty crazy coming from a conservative magazine.

Speaking of The Economist

The Economist Endorses Joe Biden, Says Donald Trump 'Must Be Soundly Rejected'
Old 10-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #5381
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Why does it take SO much longer to count mailed/drop-off ballots v. in-person? Isn't it just opening the envelope and verifying the signature? In-person, they still have to do some kind verification, hand someone a ballot, direct him to the booth, get the ballot back, put in the machine, etc.

Plus the in-person voting comes in throughout the day, all the way to the time the polls close, where the received mailed ballots are all ready to go in the morning (for states that wait to count until then).

I think in most places the day of votes are counted systemically. At least where I vote, I select in the computer and I assume those then counted automatically as I'm validated when I check-in at the polling place.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #5382
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

They have to take each mail in ballot and verify it (usually by comparing signatures to those on file), and then log the person on to file to make sure they only voted once. That slows the process down a bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #5383
Ben E Lou

Just did some digging. Couldn’t find this for sure, but it seems pretty certain: if Harrison defeats Graham (and the polls are showing it as a close one,) South Freaking Carolina becomes the first state with an all-black Senate delegation.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #5384
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I've seen that, too.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #5385
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

90/10
Old 10-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #5386
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Just did some digging. Couldn’t find this for sure, but it seems pretty certain: if Harrison defeats Graham (and the polls are showing it as a close one,) South Freaking Carolina becomes the first state with an all-black Senate delegation.

Yeah it would be great, even if one of them is Tim Scott
Old 10-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #5387
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Good job Texas.

FYI: We have fairly robust early voting in the state so it's not all that surprising to see high voter turnout. I can't speak to numbers across the state but, in 2016, our county cast about 80% of ballots early (99K/121K). That said, we are already up to 139K (115%) with Election Day still to come.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-2020-election
Harris County (Houston) is already about 100K over their previous high at 1.44M. They deserve a huge amount of credit with polling places like the Toyota Center, NRG Arena (the convention center attached to NRG stadium), and a sites in the Texas Med Center, a couple of which were open 24 hours for a couple of days.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-31-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #5388
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

90 million votes or so before election day. Hard to know, though, what election day turnout will look like.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #5389
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
FYI: We have fairly robust early voting in the state so it's not all that surprising to see high voter turnout. I can't speak to numbers across the state but, in 2016, our county cast about 80% of ballots early (99K/121K). That said, we are already up to 139K (115%) with Election Day still to come.
SI

I guess there was a bunch of illegals, dead people etc. voting

So your county population increased by (at least) 18K or approx +15% in 4 years? That's pretty good growth.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-31-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #5390
Thomkal
Head Coach

The President of "Law and Order" strikes again as Trump fanatics, some carrying weapons driving trucks and blocking the Biden bus from making an appearance today.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #5391
Ksyrup

First let's stop them from being able to vote on time. If they get through, next step is to get the early votes thrown out.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #5392
HerRealName
College Prospect

Trump supporters ram into Biden campaign staff in an act of domestic terror. : PublicFreakout

This is totally normal. The white car getting forced out of the right lane was a staffer with the bus tour.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #5393
Ksyrup

Low Energy. Sad!

Seriously though, this almost comes off as a pre-concession soundbite. He looks/sounds tired and defeated in this clip.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #5394
QuikSand
lolzcat

Trump has been using this as a foil for a while, when he's seeing that he is inspiring monstrous anti-Trump fundraising amounts, his argument has been that the all-time fundraising champ is still Trump, but since he's such a swell guy he didn't even ask for any help because it would make him beholden to special interests. It's just a spin on the traditional "why a millionaire is better for the common man" trope, but splicing it like above in a way to make it sound like he's talking about a "what could have been" second term (instead of a fundraising total) is deliberately disingenuous.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #5395
Ksyrup

If he had fundraised more, that would have meant a second term in his mind. It sounds like he's referring to both to me. One would have lead to the other.

In any event, his body language/speech tone is terrible.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #5396
QuikSand
lolzcat

...and yes, once he loses the actual election, this will morph into the "rigged" conversation, about how all the hollywood liberal antifa wallstreet communist greennewdeal leftist agenda people illegally funded the sleepy joe campaign and Trump could have won easily and he really did anyway but definitely would have even more if he had just asked his friends for money but he just had to save america because he needs to be on mount rushmore and three nominations for the nobel he was being treated very unfairly nobodys ever seen anything like it over there in sweden they did the herd mentality and they don't even let you see your doctor okay its very unfair and they gace it to obama but that was before they even saw what we were able to do in such a short time it was really like that
Old 10-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #5397
cuervo72
Head Coach

Boomhauer?
Old 10-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #5398
wustin
College Prospect

imagine whining about cheating elections when your party has time and time again tried to throw out as many votes as possible
Old 10-31-2020, 02:36 PM   #5399
QuikSand
lolzcat

it's got to be very freeing, being so fully untethered from truth

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-31-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #5400
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Any NC folks have a clear idea of what happened in Alamance County? The video shows the sheriff's department spraying people, ut I'm unclear what led to that.