Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #501
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

How can you tell the expectations are off the charts in Raleigh? When the season opener against a MAC team sells out. It was the first opening game sellout since the team's first game at the (now) PNC Arena in 1999.

State played like the #6 team in the country in plastering Miami of Ohio, 97-58 and the freshmen all played pretty well, including 16 points from Rodney Purvis, which tied the team high. What's more, when State broke it open, they kept it that way and didn't let Miami back into it. Too often under Sendek or Lowe, this would be a game that State would never quite seem to put away, usually surviving more than winning at times. It was rare that State would just kill mid- or low-major opponents. So, to start the season off like this was very much a reassurance that, yes, we are actually that good (sad to say that in some way, but given the utter hell of the past 20 years of NC State basketball, it should be understandable).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #502
Johnny93g
College Starter

Terrible news for most of the Big Ten..

2013 Rivals #6 Noah Vonleh committed to Indiana today.

Everything I've read about him is impressive.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #503
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awesome!

And Yogi looked awesome in game one of the season. Finally have a true point guard!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #504
Kodos
Resident Alien

That sig bet with Tarcone is looking like a very bad idea ... for him!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #505
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Terrible news for most of the Big Ten..

2013 Rivals #6 Noah Vonleh committed to Indiana today.

Everything I've read about him is impressive.

I wonder who they will crean out.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #506
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I wonder who they will crean out.

Going to especially enjoy crushing Plodball in Wisconsin twice a year.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #507
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Going to especially enjoy crushing Plodball in Wisconsin twice a year.
Thankfully our pace will be a little better this year with Jordan Taylor gone. I will miss the guy himself but not what he created on offense where he basically slowed things down on his own.

Indiana will NOT crush Wisconsin. Why? Because they play nearly no defense.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #508
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Six recruits on board for 2013 for Indiana.... 11 returning scholarship players returning next year. You're allowed 13. Something doesn't smell right. Like I said, who will be creaned? So let's say Zeller goes pro, that's 16. Who else is going pro? Oladipo? Does he release Maurice Creek?

I just don't see how this doesn't look crooked.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #509
Izulde
Head Coach

Scholarships are for one year only. So there will simply be three guys who don't have their scholarships renewed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #510
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I call it Creaned..
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #511
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Six recruits on board for 2013 for Indiana.... 11 returning scholarship players returning next year. You're allowed 13. Something doesn't smell right. Like I said, who will be creaned? So let's say Zeller goes pro, that's 16. Who else is going pro? Oladipo? Does he release Maurice Creek?

I just don't see how this doesn't look crooked.

Zeller likely gone, Hulls, Watford, Elston are seniors. Players transfer due to playing time. There are rumors that Davis is having academic problems, so he may not be eligible. Things happen. It'll work out.

Why don't you focus on your own coach? Jarrod Uthoff is not a big fan, I'm sure.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-11-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #512
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Four scholarships over. 4 players need to transfer, go pro or get cut from their scholarship.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-11-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #513
Kodos
Resident Alien

Or transfer. Which players do all the time from all sorts of teams for all sorts of reasons. Unless your coach doesn't let you because he's a whiny bitch.

A refresher on your classy coach:

Bo Ryan needs to loosen his grip on Jarrod Uthoff - Madison Badgers Men's Basketball | Examiner.com

Last edited by Kodos : 11-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #514
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Mmhmm. Bo Ryan didn't let Uthoff, that's right.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #515
Kodos
Resident Alien

Jarrod Uthoff is transferring from the Wisconsin Badgers to the Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

Quote:
Uthoff told "Outside The Lines" reporter Steve Delsohn on Wednesday night that he will be attending Iowa even though Badgers coach Bo Ryan put severe limitations on his request to transfer.

Uthoff said he'll have to pay his own way next year at Iowa and also will have to sit out the 2012-13 season per NCAA transfer rules. But that's not an issue for Uthoff, who hails from nearby Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

So the moral thing to do is make a kid pay his own way at the school he wants to play at because you are too butthurt to let him go? Gosh, I wish Crean were more like Ryan!

Last edited by Kodos : 11-11-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #516
wade moore
lolzcat

So happy the college bball season has started up.

Went to the W&M game on Friday. We have nowhere to go but up after a 6 win season last year, and we seem to be on the right pace.

Our young star sophomore guard, former MD Player of the year, Marcus Thornton picked up where he left off last year.

After several years of a plodding motion offense, we seem to be picking up the pace SOME. we had 7 or 8 fast-breaks on Friday, which seems like a ton to a W&M fan. The half-court offense is still motion, but seems like maybe there's an emphasis on shooting a bit earlier in the shot clock.

We'll see. The CAA is in a very odd spot this year. We've had 12 teams in the conference tourney for years now. But we have 3 teams that left or are leaving, so they're not allowed in the tourney. We have to other teams on APR restrictions. So there will be 7 teams in the tourney with seemingly only one legitimate team (Drexel) in the bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #517
Johnny93g
College Starter

Mauboy, you sure do throw alot of stones.

Funny, anything IU related, and it's "I wonder whose getting Creaned."

Bo Ryan does something documented as scummy, and you completely ignore it, only to ASSUME, and GUESS another will be just as bad.

Just say it, your afraid of what IU is building. You enjoyed yourself a few years ago when IU was down. It's over, your worried, I get it.

I know with IU doing so well, it will be hard for Wisconsin to continue it's tradition of National titles and final fours........oh wait, i guess things will pretty much be the same as always. You won't win anything, just like always.
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 11-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #518
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's not true. Wisconsin has won titles in Boxing, Field Hockey, Badminton... The list is impressive.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #519
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

He'd have paid this year no matter where he went. Those who actually understand what went down knows that bo did exactly what every coach would have done.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #520
Kodos
Resident Alien

You are the MBBF of the Big Ten.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #521
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Nah, it's the truth. Read any article well after the whole situation went down that wasn't written in the state of Iowa. The whole thing was so overblown it's ridiculous. I'm not going to talk about that situation anymore as it's been six months and I've talked about it enough on these forums. Bo runs a clean program, Crean cannot say that for Indiana or Marquette.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #522
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just say it, your afraid of what IU is building. You enjoyed yourself a few years ago when IU was down. It's over, your worried, I get it.

I know with IU doing so well, it will be hard for Wisconsin to continue it's tradition of National titles and final fours........oh wait, i guess things will pretty much be the same as always. You won't win anything, just like always.

As far as my worry goes for Indiana; I'm not quite there yet. They still have Crean as their head coach so they've got to get over that hurdle yet even with the talent they bring in. They're overrated to start this year. Top ten probably but not #1. Until they can prove they can play consistent defense they won't do anything in the Tourney.

Wisconsin will continue their tradition of winning, that's all that matters. The Final Four and championships are mostly won by powerhouse who have lots of NBA players on their teams. Until Wisconsin can recruit those players on campus we'll have to settle with getting to the sweet 16 every year and hope that one of those years we come up big.

This year could have been the year and it could still be depending on our guard situation but I do see us getting a top 4 finish in the Big 10 yet again...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #523
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Nah, it's the truth. Read any article well after the whole situation went down that wasn't written in the state of Iowa. The whole thing was so overblown it's ridiculous. I'm not going to talk about that situation anymore as it's been six months and I've talked about it enough on these forums. Bo runs a clean program, Crean cannot say that for Indiana or Marquette.

Oh, ok, I got you. The evidence YOU chose to believe is the stuff that's true with Bo. The stuff YOU don't agree with has no merit. Ok.

I can see how you applied that rule to Tom Crean. It all makes sense now.
TML
Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #524
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh, ok, I got you. The evidence YOU chose to believe is the stuff that's true with Bo. The stuff YOU don't agree with has no merit. Ok.

I can see how you applied that rule to Tom Crean. It all makes sense now.

No, Bo was wrong in the way he handled it all, so was Uthoff. The media and Uthoff villianized Ryan way too much.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #525
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not to mention that the B1G rule is that you can oversign by one... he's oversigned by 4.

I will drop it now and get back to our regular scheduled CBB talk rather than fighting over the little things.

Badgers look good today against SE La.. can't look to much into it though.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #526
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

cuse v sd st's on. don't ask me which channel. it's on msg here
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #527
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

not a fan of these outdoor games
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #528
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Not to mention that the B1G rule is that you can oversign by one... he's oversigned by 4.

I will drop it now and get back to our regular scheduled CBB talk rather than fighting over the little things.

Badgers look good today against SE La.. can't look to much into it though.

You started the comments, so I guess you can finish it.

Oversigned by 4? Hulls, Watford, Elston, Creek are all seniors. That's 2. I'm confident that Zeller goes pro. That's still oversigned by 2, as you can't predict the future, but you sure can prepare for it.
TML
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #529
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Crean learned the oversign and cut move from Calhoun, when Crean was in the Big East. Its OK to do, but if you make a habit out of it, you are a prick.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #530
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not as shiny of a signing as Vonleh but I believe to be just as big a get for Wisconsin... PF Nigel Hayes commits to Wisconsin, choosing the Badgers over Ohio St.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-11-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #531
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

For the record, he even attacked my sarcastic post saying that 30 wins is a down season at Mizzou. I think I'd hand him the crown for now until I say something stupid. No fan is safe with this guy on the prowl.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #532
Butter
Coordinator

So, no mention of the 2 outdoor games getting cancelled... one not started, one abandoned halfway through? What a waste of time for fans, players, and especially a waste of time for the military personnel involved.

You Indiana fans better watch out on the getting too cocky thing. That usually doesn't work out too well. Lot of bold pronouncements in this thread, when there are plenty of other quality teams in the conference that could easily take the crown as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #533
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

More like of Wisconsin.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #534
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, no mention of the 2 outdoor games getting cancelled... one not started, one abandoned halfway through? What a waste of time for fans, players, and especially a waste of time for the military personnel involved.

Yeah, those games are probably dead in the water (pun intended). It's a great idea in theory, but things like wind and humidity can really mess up those plans in a hurry.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #535
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
You Indiana fans better watch out on the getting too cocky thing. That usually doesn't work out too well. Lot of bold pronouncements in this thread, when there are plenty of other quality teams in the conference that could easily take the crown as well.

Absolutely. There are 4 real legit contenders in the Big Ten in Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St., and Ohio St. Also, if things break right, Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, and Minnesota could find themselves in the mix.

Last edited by cadmus2166 : 11-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #536
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think I'd hand him the crown for now until I say something stupid.

Must
resist
softball

Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #537
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass hosts Harvard at 10am tomorrow, before heading down to Puerto Rico for games with Providence Thursday and potentially NC State Friday.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #538
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Must
resist
softball

Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #539
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Oh, definitely. The Big Ten is stacked this year. IU is not a lock to win it by any means. Just enjoying having a team with great potential. It's been a while.

That being said, no way in hell slogball in Wisconsin wins the league. Especially since they are already building in the excuse with their injured guard.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-12-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #540
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Oh, definitely. The Big Ten is stacked this year. IU is not a lock to win it by any means. Just enjoying having a team with great potential. It's been a while.

That being said, no way in hell slogball in Wisconsin wins the league. Especially since they are already building in the excuse with their injured guard.

I also doubt Wisconsin's ability to actually win the league, but I'll never completely rule out a Bo Ryan team this early in the season.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #541
Kodos
Resident Alien

I will.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #542
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
For the record, he even attacked my sarcastic post saying that 30 wins is a down season at Mizzou. I think I'd hand him the crown for now until I say something stupid. No fan is safe with this guy on the prowl.

Except you were far from sarcastic.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #543
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I will.

Just like everyone else already has. Bo has never finished below 4th.

This year however is the best chance of it happening with all the talent in the Big 10. However, after watching yesterday's game along with their scrimmage last week, the Badgers will finish in the top 4 yet again, in my opinion.. with a good shot at winning the regular season B1G title this year.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #544
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Except you were far from sarcastic.

See, told you so. Deep end.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #545
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Just like everyone else already has. Bo has never finished below 4th.

But has he ever finished above 4th?

I think it is clear that Bo knows basketball. And how to be a really solid also-ran!

Last edited by Kodos : 11-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #546
Izulde
Head Coach

Picked up tickets for tonight's season opener vs. Northern Arizona and Saturday's game vs. Jacksonville State. Should be a couple cupcake wins, but damn it, I'm just excited the basketball season is officially underway and I can forget about the nightmare that is UNLV football.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #547
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa plays Central Michigan tonight on the BTN. 6:30 start.

Iowa will beat Indiana this season. And Iowa will smack the whiny little Ryan coached team northeast of Iowa around. I believe Iowa will finish ahead of Wisky in the standings.

I get my 1st look tonight. I am soooo excited. Ive been waiting to watch them play since April.

Next year Iowa has Uthoff and Peter Jok who was very highly rated until he suffered some knee problems.

Dont sleep on Iowa.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #548
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Wow Gonzaga blows out West Virginia. Ping: WVU fans - just an off shooting night, or is Gonzaga that good?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #549
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Wow Gonzaga blows out West Virginia. Ping: WVU fans - just an off shooting night, or is Gonzaga that good?

I went to bed at halftime (it tipped off at midnight on the east coast), but I think it is a mixture of Gonzaga bing really good (and polished), WVU being a bad shooting team, and WVU not being a very experienced team (at least playing together).

We have three guys that have transferred in and are starting, the Turk (Kililcli -- the only upperclassman that has really contributed prior to this season) and a whole lot of wild/inexperienced freshmen and sophomores.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #550
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love this 24 hour basketball marathon.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote