Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #5451
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I haven't lived in Texas in 13 years but that looks like the high turnout areas are San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. All of which will vote dem by large margins.

OH WOW! YOU LIVE IN pyu-WA-lup!
Old 11-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #5452
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I haven't lived in Texas in 13 years but that looks like the high turnout areas are San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. All of which will vote dem by large margins.

Fort worth and El Paso I believe as well.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #5453
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Dallas is democrat??? I thought everything up north was heavy rep

Dallas is dem while Fort Worth is republican. Had to confer with my wife who is from Dallas.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #5454
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But also the suburbs around them so who knows what that means. The crazy thing is that almost all of the most populous counties in Texas are over 100% voting of 2016 and Election Day hasn't even happened yet.

Now, Texas has pretty robust early voting so in my county, like 80% of people did early voting in 2016. So don't expect to see like another 50% of votes cast on Election Day. But that a number of these counties are running over well over 100% of 2016 already probably is good news for the Dems.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 11-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #5455
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
OH WOW! YOU LIVE IN pyu-WA-lup!

Yeah we moved here about 4 months ago. I think we found the most populous Trump city in Western Washington after living in a very liberal suburb of Tacoma for the past several years.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #5456
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 11-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #5457
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah we moved here about 4 months ago. I think we found the most populous Trump city in Western Washington after living in a very liberal suburb of Tacoma for the past several years.

well all that live there are cows and sheep so yeah
Old 11-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #5458
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's a really confusing graphic since O'Rourke and Obama are both Democrats.

SI

Old 11-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #5459
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 11-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #5460
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's a really confusing graphic since O'Rourke and Obama are both Democrats.

SI

yes but it was the only one that i could find that fit on this fucking board
Old 11-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #5461
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
well all that live there are cows and sheep so yeah

I wish. Puyallup has exploded over the past decade. I think total population is up over 50k and traffic is absolutely awful because the roads here are still built to support traffic for when it was mostly cows and sheep.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #5462
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Great question, Fox News!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #5463
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I wish. Puyallup has exploded over the past decade. I think total population is up over 50k and traffic is absolutely awful because the roads here are still built to support traffic for when it was mostly cows and sheep.

you should try going to a concert at white river amphitheater in auburn.
holy shit.

getting off 405 or 5 takes forever....and then it's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ride on fricking 1 lane joe's road through auburn to the amphitheater. Because they won't let them widen it because....yokels....

made me missed the first 4 songs of Rush in 2007
Old 11-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #5464
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm okay with Hillary staying quiet.
everybody is mental about hating her
Old 11-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #5465
Ksyrup

Anyone know where John Kerry is?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #5466
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hamilton COunty ohio (cincy)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #5467
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Underground Punk Band and part time sex machine
Old 11-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #5468
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Where is Joe Lieberman?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #5469
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
you should try going to a concert at white river amphitheater in auburn.
holy shit.

getting off 405 or 5 takes forever....and then it's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ride on fricking 1 lane joe's road through auburn to the amphitheater. Because they won't let them widen it because....yokels....

made me missed the first 4 songs of Rush in 2007

I saw Paramore/No Doubt there. It literally took us 3 hours to get out of the parking lot. Worst set up I even saw. Getting in wasn't much better but we got there early and got lucky.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #5470
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
Old 11-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #5471
Ironhead
College Prospect

Seriously though, all of the "Where is ....." jokes made me wonder if John McCain would have had any impact on the election if he were still alive. For Trump's base I would say no. Maybe for some independents if McCain was being a very vocal reminder of how badly Trump has spoken about veterans?
Old 11-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #5472
Ksyrup

It's unfortunate Dubya has stayed silent.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #5473
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Seriously though, all of the "Where is ....." jokes made me wonder if John McCain would have had any impact on the election if he were still alive. For Trump's base I would say no. Maybe for some independents if McCain was being a very vocal reminder of how badly Trump has spoken about veterans?

I read that McCain polls real high with folks in the suburbs. It was a reason Biden played up the family endorsement so much.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #5474
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Martha's Vineyard.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #5475
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Where's Waldo?
Old 11-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #5476
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Martha's Vineyard.

actually Nantucket. I go by his house every summer and wave hello.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #5477
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
actually Nantucket. I go by his house every summer and wave hello.

There once was a Kerry from Nantucket
Who took off his pants and said...
Old 11-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #5478
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

What about Walter Mondale damn it?!
Old 11-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #5479
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ok, so I did a back of the napkin (Excel spreadsheet) run of the early voting data in Texas. Really simple variables here and linear equations - nothing fancy.

Steps:
  • I took all the counties in Texas and their D% and R% in 2016 (President) and 2018 (Senate: Cruz vs O'Rourke)
  • Then I multiplied them by the number of early votes already cast by those % and saw what it got us
This way, if, say, hugely Democratic (or Republican) counties were voting a lot more, we'd see a shift that direction.

And... nothing. The numbers are very similar to the 2016 (52-43-5) and 2018 (51-48-1) race. The Dems have grabbed about a half percentage point from the GOP. So while a number of the most Democratic urban counties are showing really strong numbers, so are some suburban ones that typically lean more Republican.

That said, I can't take into account a couple of things and that's what you would need a political consultant and access into a party voter database:
  • Have voters' preference changed? How many voted from Trump in 2016 and will vote Biden in 2020 (or Clinton/Trump - though I have to think the former outnumber the latter).
  • Have the counties shifted demographically since 2016/2018? Older voters die out, younger voters get registered, people move, etc. I mean, there is a little bit of change from the Trump/Clinton race to Cruz/O'Rourke - is that from demographics or voter preference?
  • Who has early voted? Does it skew more Democrat or Republican? You can see who has voted - my county puts out spreadsheets each day of which voters voted. If you can combine that with the aforementioned database access, you'll get a pretty good idea of where the race is right now. That's beyond my abilities or access.
  • And what's Election Day going to look like? Is that going to skew more red or blue? That fits in more with the above bullet.
So, if you were expecting that the urban core was hugely energized and the rural areas weren't - that's not really the case. Actually, it is a bit - the rural areas have voted less but they're still early voting in high numbers. That said, there are only a handful of rural counties at under 70% turnout of 2016 and they have a combined 70K votes between them so it's not like they're going to suddenly change everything either.

I have no idea what this means for Election Day turnout. I don't know how many more votes are out there. Of the 40 most populous counties in Texas, only 4(!) are under 100% of turnout in 2016. So where is the enthusiasm and where are the votes left for Election Day?

Also, it feels like this just comes down to the suburbs - are they more blue this time around or do they stay just red enough for Trump and Cornyn. Using the 2018 numbers, the GOP only has a 50.5-48.7 advantage with the early voting turnout (Cruz beat Beto 50.9-48.3).

Lastly, a huge deal here is that the Texas House could be flipped, which means redistricting would have to be a lot more bipartisan for the next decade.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-01-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:29 AM   #5480
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I did your same experiment with the GA numbers and found much more encouraging info. It came out with Biden ahead 52-48 (using the Trump/Clinton totals from 2016).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 11-02-2020, 06:36 AM   #5481
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Again!
Old 11-02-2020, 06:47 AM   #5482
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Looking at the info on when the vote counts will be in, it seems pretty unlikely that we'll have the election called on Tuesday night unless Biden wins Florida, or it's an absolute blowout for him. There are other scenarios that could lead to it getting called for him, but they all call for him to win multiple close states on Tuesday--mainly taking 2 out of three in OH-NC-GA. I don't see any realistic way that Trump gets to 270 on Tuesday. He'd have to win all three mentioned, plus have something like PA-OH-MI all called, or two of those three plus AZ.

If it hasn't been posted here, yet, here's a good breakdown of when states count votes: When To Expect Election Results In Every State | FiveThirtyEight
Old 11-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #5483
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Again!

It's what cult leaders do, test the resolve of their followers.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #5484
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Looking at the info on when the vote counts will be in, it seems pretty unlikely that we'll have the election called on Tuesday night unless Biden wins Florida, or it's an absolute blowout for him. There are other scenarios that could lead to it getting called for him, but they all call for him to win multiple close states on Tuesday--mainly taking 2 out of three in OH-NC-GA. I don't see any realistic way that Trump gets to 270 on Tuesday. He'd have to win all three mentioned, plus have something like PA-OH-MI all called, or two of those three plus AZ.

If it hasn't been posted here, yet, here's a good breakdown of when states count votes: When To Expect Election Results In Every State | FiveThirtyEight

2020 called and said we aren't getting our election results on Tuesday night.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #5485
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
2020 called and said we aren't getting our election results on Tuesday night.
Yup. Totally on brand.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #5486
wustin
College Prospect

please just let it be a blowout tuesday so we don't have to go through trump's bullcrap that entire week.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #5487
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Biden losing NC certainly doesn't mean Trump will win, but Biden winning NC makes it almost impossible that Trump could win.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #5488
Ben E Lou

Back to 90/10.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #5489
Kodos
Resident Alien

Let's get this thing done. Take him down.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #5490
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Ok, so I did a back of the napkin (Excel spreadsheet) run of the early voting data in Texas. Really simple variables here and linear equations - nothing fancy.

Steps:
  • I took all the counties in Texas and their D% and R% in 2016 (President) and 2018 (Senate: Cruz vs O'Rourke)
  • Then I multiplied them by the number of early votes already cast by those % and saw what it got us
This way, if, say, hugely Democratic (or Republican) counties were voting a lot more, we'd see a shift that direction.

And... nothing. The numbers are very similar to the 2016 (52-43-5) and 2018 (51-48-1) race. The Dems have grabbed about a half percentage point from the GOP. So while a number of the most Democratic urban counties are showing really strong numbers, so are some suburban ones that typically lean more Republican.

That said, I can't take into account a couple of things and that's what you would need a political consultant and access into a party voter database:
  • Have voters' preference changed? How many voted from Trump in 2016 and will vote Biden in 2020 (or Clinton/Trump - though I have to think the former outnumber the latter).
  • Have the counties shifted demographically since 2016/2018? Older voters die out, younger voters get registered, people move, etc. I mean, there is a little bit of change from the Trump/Clinton race to Cruz/O'Rourke - is that from demographics or voter preference?
  • Who has early voted? Does it skew more Democrat or Republican? You can see who has voted - my county puts out spreadsheets each day of which voters voted. If you can combine that with the aforementioned database access, you'll get a pretty good idea of where the race is right now. That's beyond my abilities or access.
  • And what's Election Day going to look like? Is that going to skew more red or blue? That fits in more with the above bullet.
So, if you were expecting that the urban core was hugely energized and the rural areas weren't - that's not really the case. Actually, it is a bit - the rural areas have voted less but they're still early voting in high numbers. That said, there are only a handful of rural counties at under 70% turnout of 2016 and they have a combined 70K votes between them so it's not like they're going to suddenly change everything either.

I have no idea what this means for Election Day turnout. I don't know how many more votes are out there. Of the 40 most populous counties in Texas, only 4(!) are under 100% of turnout in 2016. So where is the enthusiasm and where are the votes left for Election Day?

Also, it feels like this just comes down to the suburbs - are they more blue this time around or do they stay just red enough for Trump and Cornyn. Using the 2018 numbers, the GOP only has a 50.5-48.7 advantage with the early voting turnout (Cruz beat Beto 50.9-48.3).

Lastly, a huge deal here is that the Texas House could be flipped, which means redistricting would have to be a lot more bipartisan for the next decade.

SI

Old 11-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #5491
spleen1015
Coordinator

On a scale of 1 to 10, what is everyone's anxiety level for this election?

I would put myself at a 7 today. I think I am being too dramatic, but sometimes you can't control anxiety.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #5492
Kodos
Resident Alien

Probably a 7 today. Higher tomorrow. I'm confident Biden wins, we flip the Senate. I worry about Republican shenanigans tomorrow. I will feel better when the networks call it for Biden.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #5493
wustin
College Prospect

i made a bet with a coworker...
Old 11-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #5494
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2 or 3. I'm still generally of the opinion that the world will keep turning regardless of who wins, and I don't think either of the candidates have any intention of taking the most important necessary actions for the betterment of the future of the planet and its inhabitants, so it's more or less an acceptance that not all that much will change regardless in the grand scheme.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #5495
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, what is everyone's anxiety level for this election?

I would put myself at a 7 today. I think I am being too dramatic, but sometimes you can't control anxiety.

About a 7.5
Old 11-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #5496
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
2 or 3. I'm still generally of the opinion that the world will keep turning regardless of who wins, and I don't think either of the candidates have any intention of taking the most important necessary actions for the betterment of the future of the planet and its inhabitants, so it's more or less an acceptance that not all that much will change regardless in the grand scheme.

This has been my general position since I was a teen - until the past 4 years, and now this election. I don't know how anyone could look at what Trump has done and think "not all that much will change." He's already done so many things to change the way our government is supposed to work (for the worse) and polarizing the electorate on misinformation and outright lies that another 4 years of it is going to be a disaster for the long-term survival of our country. And spare me the "every politician lies" crap. this goes well beyond the levels we've ever seen before.

I will admit that I am not personally feeling any of it as an effect on my family, finances, general living of life (outside of Covid, of course) - but that's the exact point of why he's doing it and how he's getting away with it. The only tangible result of the last 4 years on me is the lack of civility, polarization from people I used to associate with, and fraying of nerves as I am forced to consider the wiping away of things I thought were a given about our country that are under attack. So yeah, the world will keep turning, but I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the ride from this particular seat.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-02-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #5497
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Usually i agree with this, but an unchecked Trump with a second term, a raging pandemic, and ghouls like Stephen Miller running things and we could drastically see out nation weakened.

Hell, the brain drain alone from immigration policies is going to set us back generations.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #5498
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would say I am a 7. As an upper middle class white male rationally I know a lot won't change for us. Hell, the Biden tax plan would hurt us as we would be in the bracket where we get taxed more. I just can't stomach that monster running unchecked for 4 years while his supporters scream how they owned the libatards again. It just depresses me where we have gotten to.

My concern is how much he is going to try and ratfuck the whole process and really fracture us as a nation. I have always had the faith that the system will work, and he has deteriorated that faith to the point of I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #5499
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

no ElPaso? Get a rope!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #5500
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Usually i agree with this, but an unchecked Trump with a second term, a raging pandemic, and ghouls like Stephen Miller running things and we could drastically see out nation weakened.

Hell, the brain drain alone from immigration policies is going to set us back generations.

I have always been low anxiety as well, but I am much more in line with this and have been much more anxious than normal for the last 2-3 weeks.
Closed Thread