Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #551
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Big Game late tonight out west as "arguably" (that's for you Pac-10 & UCLA Homers) the two best teams on the left coast tip off at 11:00pm Eastern... St. Mary's and Gonzaga.

Ha! I like both of those teams.

Your statement is wrong, of course, but they're still two very good basketball teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #552
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
UCLA waxing Cal at Pauley. Not too surprising. Cal hasn't won @Ucla in a while.

You sure about that? I haven't looked it up or seen mention of it recently, but I think UCLA just went through a weird stretch for five years where Cal kept beating them at Pauley. Two of those years they were really bad (Lavin's last year and Howland's first), but otherwise they were usually pretty good, and yet they always managed to give away the home game against Cal. And then oddly enough, they usually beat Cal on the road.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #553
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You sure about that? I haven't looked it up or seen mention of it recently, but I think UCLA just went through a weird stretch for five years where Cal kept beating them at Pauley. Two of those years they were really bad (Lavin's last year and Howland's first), but otherwise they were usually pretty good, and yet they always managed to give away the home game against Cal. And then oddly enough, they usually beat Cal on the road.

I'm absolutely not sure about that at all....I suppose I could look it up......

....nah
Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #554
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm absolutely not sure about that at all....I suppose I could look it up......

....nah

Ha, me neither.

Seriously, it only comes from my memory of continually being frustrated by losing at home to Cal repeatedly.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #555
Butter
Coordinator

Hell of a comeback by Clemson last night. KC Rivers went out of his mind for most of the 2nd half. Great great road win. Very happy to see the usually road-phobic Tigers pull one out like that.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #556
clemsonfan
High School JV

Let me just say, I love Oliver Purnell. If only he could get our boys to hit free throws, he would be awesome.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #557
Radii
Head Coach

I haven't watched much of the game, but Wake Forest looks to have struggled with Georgia Tech all day, leading by 4 with 2:30 to go.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #558
hoopsguy
General Manager

Pitt just punished the Irish in the second half of their game. ND hit 11 threes in the first half, had a 6 point lead, and ended up with 12 threes and a 13 point loss.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #559
Radii
Head Coach

Major screwup by Wake. They had the ball up 2 with 1:10 left or so after Tech missed a chance to tie the game. Wake held the ball, after a screen Wake's center ended up with the ball at the top of the key with about 2 seconds left on the shot clock. He didn't take the shot, passed to the wing and the shot clock expired. Georgia Tech got a basket and its tied. Wake ball with 7.3 left.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #560
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Pitt just punished the Irish in the second half of their game. ND hit 11 threes in the first half, had a 6 point lead, and ended up with 12 threes and a 13 point loss.

Up to 5 losses in a row now, that pretty much nullifies any earlier conversation about Notre Dame's status. They're fucked.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #561
Radii
Head Coach

Wake Forest throws away the inbounds pass, poor bounce pass that just went straight out of bounds... Ga Tech ball with 7.3 left.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #562
Radii
Head Coach

Georgia Tech jumper is GOOD with 1.0 left. Wake timeout, down 2 with just a desparation look left.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #563
Radii
Head Coach

So now in between really really good wins vs Duke, North Carolina, and Clemson, Wake Forest has had complete breakdowns in the final minutes of losses to Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech. Craziness...
Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #564
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wake's game management down the stretch against Duke did not leave much to be desired either. I guess it is not a shock with a young club, but you do not necessarily expect that out of a team with the collection of wins that Wake has collected this year.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #565
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Odd note about GT-Wake, as the Aminu's are only the second brother pair to face each other in an ACC game, joining the Montgomery's of Wake & Maryland in 1969.

Just kind of surprised me that it had only happened twice.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #566
Radii
Head Coach

Mike Copeland is an idiot. I'll let Wolfpack expound on classless behavior by the UNC reserves at the end of the game. At least Roy appeared to be appropriately pissed off at his own guys.

NC State kept making runs in the second half to keep it interesting but Carolina gets the win in Raleigh.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #567
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Stanford got destroyed at Pauley Pavilion today. They looked like a high school team on both ends of the court. For Chief and Bug:

-J'Mison Morgan is gonna be real good once he gets in shape.

-Alfred Aboya is the most improved player in the conference. EDIT: Besides Jordan Hill

-Josh Shipp...meh

-Darren Collison is super annoying if you're a fan of the team UCLA is playing.

-Jrue Holiday is awesome. Enjoy this year, because he's one and done.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 01-31-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #568
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If you can get the game, the Texas-Kansas State game is going into OT. K-State lead by 17 at one point in the 2nd half, and the Horns battled back to tie the game with their final possession in regulation. Great game so far. Denis Clemente has been unconscious for the Wildcats, scoring 40 so far.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-31-2009 at 05:27 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #569
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
K-State gets the win in OT. Clemente ended up with 44 points.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #570
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Mike Copeland is an idiot. I'll let Wolfpack expound on classless behavior by the UNC reserves at the end of the game. At least Roy appeared to be appropriately pissed off at his own guys.

NC State kept making runs in the second half to keep it interesting but Carolina gets the win in Raleigh.

I don't know if I can blame Copeland. I am pretty sure he just expected McCauley to give him the dunk.

Honestly, I was shocked that the NC State player actually put Copeland on his ass. No need to run to the refs, no need to cry to the media afterwards. Take care of it on the court and move on.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #571
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Nice win on the road in Tempe for the Huskies, beating the Sun Devils 84-71 to remain tied for first in the Pac-10. The UW appears to be a tournament team again after treading water the last two years...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #572
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Meh, didn't get to see the game, but did listen to it on the radio, so I can't vouch for the classless behavior other than the dunk punking.

But, if you like: "OMG!!!1! What a classlus Hole jrk! he f'ing deserved it!1! lol!!111!""

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #573
mckerney
Coordinator

Nice win for Northwestern. Great to see the Badgers drop 6 straight, while Wisconsin's team gets 11 Ws in a row as Marquette takes down Georgetown.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-31-2009 at 09:26 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #574
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stanford got destroyed at Pauley Pavilion today. They looked like a high school team on both ends of the court. For Chief and Bug:

-J'Mison Morgan is gonna be real good once he gets in shape.

-Alfred Aboya is the most improved player in the conference. EDIT: Besides Jordan Hill

-Josh Shipp...meh

-Darren Collison is super annoying if you're a fan of the team UCLA is playing.

-Jrue Holiday is awesome. Enjoy this year, because he's one and done.

--The question is whether he ends up doing that for UCLA. He's not entirely happy with his PT, and he might leave before he figures out he's in the best place for him.

--Yeah, Aboya has really surprised me, particularly with former trouble areas, like his range, foul trouble and free throw shooting. All of those areas have improved tremendously. Oh, yeah, on Hill's tremendous.

--Shipp has really always been a meh. He has been talked up a lot, but he really is one of the more overrated players around. That said, he's been playing better of late, shooting the three better by a good stretch, and he has been more agressive in most games this year than he has been since his frosh year.

--Glad he came back.

--Holiday says he's staying for two at least. Not sure I buy that either, especially if his game continues to improve. But a guy can dream, right?

I like Dawkins. I think he'll get Furd going back in the right direction again. Just bad timing with Trent Johnson leaving the same year the Lopez twins book.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #575
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Whoo boy. The loss by Texas to KSU and the win by Mizzou over Baylor this weekend sets up a HUGE game in Austin on Wednesday. It's a must win for Texas if they want to remain in reach of OU and stay even with MU. A win on the road by the Tigers would put them solidly in 3rd position with OU still having to play at Mizzou Arena.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #576
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pat Knight: Frustration or fighting for his players?

YouTube - Pat Knight Ejected
Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #577
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone has the Big Ten Network, there is a good game between Penn State and Michigan State going on now. Talor Battle for Penn State is on fire!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #578
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow, who would have believed at the start of the season that MSU would take home losses to Northwestern and Penn State?

I know, lot of time left to play.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #579
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, PSU is trying really, really hard not to close. Have missed front end of one-and-one twice, now blew a two foot shot. MSU on the line with a chance to cut it to three and Pringle is fouled out.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #580
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Penn State is horrible from the line.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #581
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

5 of 13 from the line isn't going to win you many games.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #582
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nice win for the Nittany Lions! I still think they need 23 wins to get in the tourney.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #583
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bobby Knight in the SEC?

Report: Bob Knight interested in vacant Georgia Bulldogs job - ESPN

Quote:
Georgia may be on Bob Knight's mind.

A source close to the legendary coach told the Atlanta Journal Constitution on Sunday that if Knight were offered the Bulldogs job, he would take it.

"He doesn't want it to look as if he's pursuing the job. He'd like to be offered it, and if offered, he'd take it," the source said.

"He doesn't want it to look as if he's looking for work, but I can assure you that he'd like to have the job. It's the idea of coaching a team in the Southeastern Conference that appeals to him. There are just so many things he could do for Georgia basketball. This would be his last stop, and he likes that."

Georgia fired Dennis Felton last Thursday after the Bulldogs got off to a 9-11 start and were 0-5 in the SEC. Associate coach Pete Herrmann was named interim coach for the remainder of the season.

Knight, 68, left Texas Tech in the middle of the 2008 season. The winningest coach in college history with 902 victories coached the Raiders from 2001-08 after a 29-year run at Indiana that ended in controversy. After leaving Texas Tech, Knight has served as an analyst for ESPN.

"I have never said that I wouldn't coach again," Knight said in a statement. "I've simply said in the past, if the right situation came along, I would be interested."

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #584
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pat Knight: Frustration or fighting for his players?

YouTube - Pat Knight Ejected

Irresponsible. Twelve point game with 9 plus minutes and you get yourself tossed over that? It is not like his player was injured or anything.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #585
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If true, there would be a HEAVY backlash at Texas Tech. It would make his departure look more like a move to get his kid a coaching spot and take himself out of a job that he didn't want at that point.

With that said, no one who associates with Knight should be shocked by his motives.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #586
Kodos
Resident Alien

Knight just wants to be able to wear a red sweater.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #587
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Baylor/Kansas is fun to watch for the pace. But, man, Kansas is young and it shows. Maddeningly inconsistent- flashes of really nice play but a lot of dumb rookie mistakes.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #588
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It would make his departure look more like a move to get his kid a coaching spot and take himself out of a job that he didn't want at that point.

Funny, I wasn't aware there was really any question about either of those points.

As for the Knight to UGA news, all I can say is that as much as I'd enjoy watching coverage of him on a local daily basis, I hope he doesn't take the job since I realized when the story broke that it could probably be the one thing that would at least move me toward neutral on those damned Dawgs. And I don't think my nervous system could survive that sort of shock.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-02-2009 at 08:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #589
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Baylor/Kansas is fun to watch for the pace. But, man, Kansas is young and it shows. Maddeningly inconsistent- flashes of really nice play but a lot of dumb rookie mistakes.

SI
I felt the same way watching them play Nebraska last week. Definite talent, but totally inconsistent. They should more consistent by March and should be a tough out.

Last edited by rjolley : 02-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #590
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As for the Knight to UGA news, all I can say is that as much as I'd enjoy watching coverage of him on a local daily basis, I hope he doesn't take the job since I realized when the story broke that it could probably be the one thing that would at least move me toward neutral on those damned Dawgs. And I don't think my nervous system could survive that sort of shock.

Hah, I'm rather liking the prospect. The coach I dislike more than any other coaching one of the two schools I've learned to hate with a passion. Would be awesome.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #591
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I felt the same way watching them play Nebraska last week. Definite talent, but totally inconsistent. They should more consistent by March and should be a tough out.

I'm a little torn on that matter- they have put up 6 wins in a row, 3 on the road, but pretty much all have been against the dregs of the Big XII. The schedule gets a lot more interesting with @Baylor (Big Monday), @Mizzou (rivalry game, Big Monday), @KState (rivalry game), and @Oklahoma (Big Monday) in the next 3 weeks.

I have no illusions that we're making a Final Four run. But, I could see this team out in the first round as easy as making the Sweet 16. This team is just way too young and just too inconsistent. The parts are nice but they definitely need a year or two of seasoning.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #592
Groundhog
Coordinator

Heard a funny story about Knight yesterday.

A little over 10 years ago he was conducting a basketball camp over here for some of our elite youngsters, and my mate was invited. Just before the camp he injured his knee pretty badly, so he couldn't participate in any of the drills, and was just sitting down and watching the camp.

Halfway through the first session Knight walks up to him and asks him what he's doing just sitting there. My mate says he's injured and can't play, so Knight then tells him that no one gets a free ticket to watch his training camps, and that there were chairs that needed stacking. Quite a few chairs in fact. As soon as Knight walked off my mate looked at his coach, who just sort of whispered to him "I think you'd better stack those chairs", so he had to hobble around and stack chairs for half an hour on a very painful knee.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #593
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like it's questionable whether James will play for Texas on Wednesday against Mizzou. He had a MRI on his knee yesterday. Mobility is reportedly limited, though I'm sure he'll play if it's at all possible.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-03-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #594
Radii
Head Coach

No defense allowed in Chapel Hill tonight. Maryland shoots 55% in the first half and scores 44 points. Unfortunately for them, North Carolina is shooting 50% overall and a ridiculous 73% from 3 point range(11-15).

Its 60-44 Tar Heels at the half. 4 tar Heels in double figures already, Ellington has 21.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #595
Radii
Head Coach

Apparently there is a video of Mississippi's coach Andy Kennedy being arrested in December.

Video shows Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy pleading with Cincinnati police - ESPN

Quote:
A newly released police video shows Mississippi basketball coach Andy Kennedy pleading with an officer before his arrest on an assault charge.

"I'm begging you ... this is a major deal, man," Kennedy told police.

He added: "This is going to be a national incident, sir."

Kennedy was arrested in downtown Cincinnati on Dec. 18 after a taxi driver said Kennedy hit him and used racial slurs.

On the video broadcast by WLWT-TV in Cincinnati, an officer warned Kennedy to do what police say.

"You turn on me one more time, I'm going to start making some more charges. Do you understand me?" an unidentified police officer told Kennedy.

Kennedy told an officer that he was formerly the University of Cincinnati head coach and was in town to play "Louisville and Rick Pitino" on national television.

Kennedy also told police on the video that he had a verbal altercation about how many people could ride in the cab, and that it "makes no sense" to arrest him.

In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

Well played by the officer on the Bengals quote. Well played.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #596
Radii
Head Coach

Miami is playing really well tonight and beating Wake Forest 45-34 with 13 minutes left in the game.

I'm looking forward to both of ESPN's late games as well. Duke/Clemson at 9pm on ESPN and Missouri/Texas at 9:30 on ESPN2, hopefully a good night of basketball ahead.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #597
Groundhog
Coordinator

Patty Mills out for 4 weeks with a broken hand. St. Mary's go and lose to Portland by 20 without him. Yikes.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #598
Radii
Head Coach

Miami 79
Wake Forest 52

Damn. Beatdown.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #599
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And its on in Littlejohn Coliseum as well as Clemson leads Duke by 20+....

Clemson isn't that good, but aparently and obviously neither is Duke...
Its actually funny lstening to Jay Bilas repeatedly slam Duke, I didnt know he was capable
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #600
Radii
Head Coach

With their last road win at Va Tech and now this, Clemson has really impressed me. Their next two games are important as well, against two of the middling/dangerous teams in the conference in FSU and Boston College. They've got a favorable schedule as well in that they only play Duke once and UNC once, so their only game against the other top 10 teams is a final game at Wake. I would not be surprised at all if they finish #1 or #2 in the ACC.