Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #601
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

These refs are making it tough, but on both ends of the court at least. I think this plays for North Carolina.

As much as I wish that wasn't the case.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #602
tarcone
Coordinator

Bad call.

Should been on the Zags

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #603
tarcone
Coordinator

21 fouls this half.

Still 8 minutes left. Ouch

Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #604
bhlloy
Coordinator

These refs are awful but at least as you say, they are consistently awful for both teams.

How on earth are these the best guys they could get for the biggest game of the year? 21 fouls in 12 minutes in the second.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #605
kingfc22
Head Coach

This game is turning into a joke.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #606
tarcone
Coordinator

A Flagrant 1 on that?

That is BS

Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #607
RedKingGold
College Starter

Flagrant 1? Seriously!?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #608
tarcone
Coordinator

The refs want to be the show

Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #609
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

And this went from an exciting game to dreck. Great job zebras.

Kudos to Adam Morrison for being on TV again.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-03-2017 at 10:13 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #610
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
A Flagrant 1 on that?
That is BS

Should have been a play-on both ways frankly, but after the phantom foul was called on UNC there, the choke slam (inadvertant as it was) had to be called too.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #611
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So now that they got the championship, could the NCAA maybe finally finish their investigation into the academic grading scandal at UNC? Thanks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #612
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Tar!
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #613
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Some news in the Pac-12. Arizona has just hired Lorenzo Romar to be an assistant coach. Getting Romar's recruiting without actually having to deal with his ingame coaching is an interesting premise.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #614
MrBug708
Head Coach

Cant wait for Sean Miller to underachieve with five 5 stars now!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #615
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Romar hiring at Arizona is about to pay off already as former UW signee Jaylen Nowell is announcing his decision on Friday, with the UW, Cal and Arizona listed as his choices. If he was sticking with his LOI to Washington it seems unlikely he'd make a big production out of it, and I can't imagine he'd opt for Cal over going to Arizona with the relationship he has with Romar.

Has to feel like a bit of a backstab to Cameron Dollar (UW Assistant) - he had Jaylen's dad on his coaching staff at Seattle U before the elder Nowell died.

Edit: Nevermind - he just announced he's sticking with his UW commitment/LOI.

Last edited by dawgfan : 04-18-2017 at 02:10 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #616
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, Arizona already landed Brandon Randolph and Alex Barcello at the guard spots. With Trier coming back, Nowell would have been more of a luxury. Arizona is still in on a few other wing/PF prospects and some transfers. I thought they'd be done now, but with Simmons and Comanche testing the NBA waters, there is still room for another guy.

Last edited by Arles : 04-18-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #617
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Up until this morning - when it was announced that Nowell would be making a decision on Friday - I had assumed he was sticking around, and was more worried about Romar's influence in getting Kevin Porter Jr. and P.J. Fuller for the 2018 and 2019 classes.

Glad to see Nowell stick, but I expect Hopkins has his work cut out for him on the upcoming local guys if Romar is still at 'Zona.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #618
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC's Metu has announced he is returning and it is looking likely that all of USC's players including Boatwright will return. If that happens, along with the incoming players, USC has the makings for their best year ever next year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #619
Atocep
Coordinator

Grayson Allen returning to destroy what's left of his draft stock.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #620
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bennie Boatwright just announced that he is returning to USC. USC is returning all of their players and bringing in a few very talented players to join them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #621
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Mark Smith committed to the Illini, that was quite the surprise.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #622
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow, Shaka Smart convinced Mohamed Bamba to come to Texas. That's a nice get to pry him away from Calipari.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #623
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Wow, Shaka Smart convinced Mohamed Bamba to come to Texas. That's a nice get to pry him away from Calipari.

Legit surprised. Combined with that blue chip PG they're getting, they'll at least be worth watching next year.

Great get.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #624
Butter
Coordinator

No real thread for this, but Thad Matta is reportedly "retiring" effective immediately.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #625
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The OSU program is all kinds of fucked up.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #626
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The OSU program is all kinds of fucked up.

Had been rumored to be imminent since the end of last season, if not longer. The timing seems odd. I first assumed it was to make sure recruits were enrolled before he bailed, but his class is only 2 players and 1 four star.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #627
hollmt
High School Varsity

i was avoiding this thread (not for any particular reason) but then decided to check it and this shit is what i see!

i just let out a very loud couple of curse words at work. why he couldnt have done this a couple months ago so that archie would have came to osu is beyond me.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #628
Kodos
Resident Alien

Tom Crean is available.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #629
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Tom Crean is available.

INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #630
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Seems like it was less "retirement" than it was a decision by Gene Smith that a change was needed. He has missed on several grad transfers over the last month or so. I think Smith was trying to give him some more rope to save the sinking ship.

It was a great run for Matta but time for a change. I'll be happy if that go back to Xavier again and pluck Chris Mack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #631
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

There is no doubt Ohio State has the resources to throw a lot of money at somebody but I was shocked when I looked up their basketball history outside of Matta. Their fans live in the MBBF world of perception vs reality.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #632
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
There is no doubt Ohio State has the resources to throw a lot of money at somebody but I was shocked when I looked up their basketball history outside of Matta. Their fans live in the MBBF world of perception vs reality.

Ohio State is pretty consistently considered a top 15 level program. Unfortunately, there have been peaks and valleys instead of sustained success.

I hate to see Matta go but the health issues have obviously impacted his ability to recruit and coach. He's a class act all the way.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...ams-based-poll
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #633
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Really? 1 National Championship and 11 Final Fours vs. zero of each = delusional?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #634
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Really? 1 National Championship and 11 Final Fours vs. zero of each = delusional?

At what point did I compare it to Mizzou? I was comparing MBBF's opinion of the Mizzou program with Ohio State's fans opinion of theirs. I completely disagree with it being a top 15 program and also am not much into counting all these stats from the 1960's. I mean is San Francisco a top program? Is Houston? Take out Motta and what do you have in the last 30 years? One final four. Which was kind of my point.

Last edited by panerd : 06-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #635
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

You totally missed the point of his comment
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #636
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

In my time in Columbus Ohio State basketball was always rarely talked about. I've always felt there were a lot of "fans" of OSU Basketball when it was convenient to be. Their prestige is definitely overvalued in basketball terms, but I think with the size of their program they could easily tempt a very good coach to come there.

I mean, sure take out his stats and what do you have? Not much, but why take his stats away? How many 17 year old kids care about what happened in the early 90s and before that? Maybe a few schools can recruit based on history (UCLA? Indiana?), but Matta's numbers are very very impressive, although they are definitely very congested in the middle of his time there with not much in the beginning and the ends.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 06-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #637
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
At what point did I compare it to Mizzou? I was comparing MBBF's opinion of the Mizzou program with Ohio State's fans opinion of theirs. I completely disagree with it being a top 15 program and also am not much into counting all these stats from the 1960's. I mean is San Francisco a top program? Is Houston? Take out Motta and what do you have in the last 30 years? One final four. Which was kind of my point.

Most Ohio State fans don't pay attention to basketball until the end of football season so I'm not sure what you're seeing to suggest otherwise.

If you look at only the 15 or so years that you randomly consider relevant for this conversation, you have the Jimmy Jackson era, a few lean years, the Jim O'Brien Final Four run, probation, then the Matta years. Ups and downs like I mentioned before.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #638
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
In my time in Columbus Ohio State basketball was always rarely talked about. I've always felt there were a lot of "fans" of OSU Basketball when it was convenient to be. Their prestige is definitely overvalued in basketball terms, but I think with the size of their program they could easily tempt a very good coach to come there.

I mean, sure take out his stats and what do you have? Not much, but why take his stats away? How many 17 year old kids care about what happened in the early 90s and before that? Maybe a few schools can recruit based on history (UCLA? Indiana?), but Matta's numbers are very very impressive, although they are definitely very congested in the middle of his time there with not much in the beginning and the ends.

To completely date myself, it was the opposite for me. I was there during the early 90's. The epic games against Indiana were great memories for me... at least I'm guessing they would be if I could remember them at all. This was the early years of the Cooper football teams so the basketball team was the one with all the focus on campus. Once football took off a year or two later, that changed immediately.

Last edited by HerRealName : 06-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #639
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I went to Ohio State for two years and those were the years of Greg Oden and Mike Conley so there was definite hype for the program then as well. But it's the type of hype that builds really fast and lets out just as fast as the program goes back to just being decent. The minute there was no great contention for national titles the basketball program just takes an absolute backseat and I never really heard it discussed. It was football football football.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 06-06-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #640
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

So, take out a coach that has taken a program in the past decade to five Sweet 16s, three Elite Eights, two Final Fours and a title game and you've got a program that doesn't look as good?

Thank you Captain Obvious.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #641
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I live in the surrounding area and no one gives two craps about OSU basketball currently. With that said the school has the potential to be a top tier job just based off the money and facilities involved. I think one of the biggest things to overcome is how to create a college basketball environment inside their pro style arena.

I think Chris Mack would be a homerun hire for them. I follow recruiting fairly closely and he is always after B1G caliber players and wins the battles more often than you would think.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #642
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I went to Ohio State for two years and those were the years of Greg Oden and Mike Conley so there was definite hype for the program then as well. But it's the type of hype that builds really fast and lets out just as fast as the program goes back to just being decent. The minute there was no great contention for national titles the basketball program just takes an absolute backseat and I never really heard it discussed. It was football football football.

Yeah, looking through I was trying to remember if there were even any OSU alums between Conley and D'Angelo Russell in age currently playing in the NBA. Given that two of the three are Jared Sullinger and Evan Turner, that's probably good damage control on OSU's part that I've managed to forget they went there.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #643
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So, take out a coach that has taken a program in the past decade to five Sweet 16s, three Elite Eights, two Final Fours and a title game and you've got a program that doesn't look as good?

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Again kind of my point. Saw the same thing with Fulmer at Tennessee. Fire the only coach with a lot of success, dream about these homerun hires on the horizon. Sink to mediocrity always wondering where it went wrong.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #644
Butter
Coordinator

Well, your point is stupid.

So there.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #645
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again kind of my point. Saw the same thing with Fulmer at Tennessee. Fire the only coach with a lot of success, dream about these homerun hires on the horizon. Sink to mediocrity always wondering where it went wrong.

That's not at all what is happening at OSU. Matta can't get any players. He hasn't hit a big recruit in a while, but worse, he's lost a number of transfers and he wasn't able to land any graduate transfers to fill the gaps. Much of this may be due to Matta's bad back, but whatever the reason, he the program is in disarray right now.

He certainly wasn't fired because he was good, but didn't fulfill the championship dreams of supporters.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #646
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, it's not as if Ohio State has these grand basketball national championship dreams that the fans are delusional for dreaming about. The level of recruiting and on-court play has devolved from "perenially nationally ranked program" to "Big Ten also-ran" in pretty quick fashion. If you don't believe that, then look at the roster. They have 9 scholarship players for next season right now. And most of them are about a 3-star level of recruit. Just a couple of years ago, Matta was getting top-100 type and one-and-done type players.

If you ride it out much longer, you will turn a two year rebuild into a four year or longer. Or worse yet, Randy Ayers. *shudder*

Last edited by Butter : 06-07-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #647
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well, your point is stupid.

So there.

this made me laugh out load. nice job.

on a side not...IF osu does in fact hire crean (which i do not think they will do but they already shit the bed with the firing/forced retiring of matta so late in the season, so why not continue to shit the bed) i will have to stop watching osu bball.
i wouldnt mind osu going after mack either. archie miller was of course my choice at the end of the season had osu not shit themselves and waited 2 months too long, but mack can recruit and we need an ohio coach that can steal BIG players. i know osu is rumored to be interested in the butler coach as well. im not that knowledgeable about him and his skillset.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #648
HerRealName
College Prospect

My brother and I were talking about this yesterday and he made a good point. You have to wonder if being so immobile impacted his ability to scout HS recruits as well. Missing out on Nigel Hayes for Marc Loving was likely a career killing scouting mistake.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #649
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Yeah, looking through I was trying to remember if there were even any OSU alums between Conley and D'Angelo Russell in age currently playing in the NBA. Given that two of the three are Jared Sullinger and Evan Turner, that's probably good damage control on OSU's part that I've managed to forget they went there.
Those were two pretty awesome college players I'd be proud to call alums. Sullinger's been a disappointment with his weight, but has probably still outproduced the average #21 pick, and Turner in particular has always seemed like a great guy who maximized his talent, and it's not his fault (or the university's) he was massively overpaid.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fulmer should have been ousted sooner, not later.

The program was - internally - a fucking dumpster fire. It's called the f'n Fulmer Cup for good reason.