Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #651
Kodos
Resident Alien

We're fighting with the Gods of War, but what the hell we fightin' for?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #652
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Firmware 3.0 for the PS3 was released today. Prepare for an upload when you log in the next time.

Found this article very interesting. Noted that EA's marketing budget is 3 times as big as their game development budget. I'm sure there's not too many people shocked by that.

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story...s-By-2to1.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-01-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #653
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

List of upgrades in PS3 3.0 firmware.

Firmware 3.0 Now Live & Change List [Update] « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net
Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #654
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Downloaded it last night.

Am a fan: of how quickly it downloaded

Not a fan: of most everything else. They really didn't need three separate links to the PlayStation Store, and I do not like that scrolling ticker. Supposedly you can turn off "What's New," but turning it off didn't seem to actually CHANGE anything.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #655
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Downloaded it last night.

Am a fan: of how quickly it downloaded

Not a fan: of most everything else. They really didn't need three separate links to the PlayStation Store, and I do not like that scrolling ticker. Supposedly you can turn off "What's New," but turning it off didn't seem to actually CHANGE anything.

I'm not a big fan of the multiple links, but I do see a couple of things I like a lot. The dynamic themes look really nice. Granted, they're little more than eye candy, but my 2 year old daughter could watch the zebras walk across my XMB all day long.

Also, I like the new status bar in the upper right hand corner. There were a lot of times where I didn't even notice I had a message. This should make it a lot easier to see that right away. Invites are nice too.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #656
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nice little surprise here. A full upgrade of God of War I and II for the PS3 on one BR disc. MSRP of $39.99.

God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation Available This Holiday Season! – PlayStation.Blog

Who needs Hardware Backward Compatibility.. when we can make them PAY for the games they already own!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just for clarification- there are no PS3's currently being made that have any sort of backwards compatibility, correct?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #658
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Just for clarification- there are no PS3's currently being made that have any sort of backwards compatibility, correct?

SI

Correct. So much for the big PS3 selling point.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #659
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Who needs Hardware Backward Compatibility.. when we can make them PAY for the games they already own!
If you already own those games, isn't it pretty likely you've played them through already? And that you probably have a PS2?

This bundle is a good idea for people like me that never owned a PS2 and never played those games. I'd also love to see a bundle of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #660
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #661
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

In 720p, to be fair. If they want to spiff up the visuals and re-release them...eh. I know people who have BC PS3's, have those games, and would still pay for the bundles.

Market'll tell 'em if that's a good approach or not.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #662
spleen1015
Coordinator

That looks pretty cool.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #663
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This just in. Kurt Cobain is spinning in his grave like a Tasmanian Devil.

YouTube - Someone gives Love a bad name (Hint: Courtney)
Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #664
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
In 720p, to be fair. If they want to spiff up the visuals and re-release them...eh.

FWIW, Microsoft added HD to a lot of titles when they did the software BC for them. For free.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #665
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait for this one:

12 things you need to know about Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption Xbox 360 Previews | GamesRadar
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #666
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Thought I was the only one who was waiting on this. This is going to be such an amazing game, I just can't wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #667
Calis
College Starter

Definitely my most anticipated console game. Sucks that it has been delayed until Spring/Summer 2010, but with as few Western themed games as we get I won't complain much.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #668
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

This game looks interesting I hope it is not like GTA in the sense it's a bunch of almost impossible missions. If it is anything like Fall Out 3 I will being buying it the day it comes out.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #669
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Red Dead Redemption looks FABULOUS. I enjoyed the original - although not as much a GUN - and I can't wait for this one.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #670
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
This game looks interesting I hope it is not like GTA in the sense it's a bunch of almost impossible missions. If it is anything like Fall Out 3 I will being buying it the day it comes out.

I thought it was out this winter but now I believe it's not out until next summer. Very disappointing there.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #671
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Correct. So much for the big PS3 selling point.

So, to clarify, the big selling point according to you of a HD console with free Wifi, free online gaming, and a Blu-ray drive was the ability to play games from last generation on that console?

Backwards compatibility was a fine option, but most PS3 owners never used it which is why they took it out.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #672
Flasch186
Coordinator

I did. Buzz the game.

you said 'biggest' which it wasnt but it was used. The fact it was a Blu-Ray player was the biggest selling point to me.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #673
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I did. Buzz the game.

you said 'biggest' which it wasnt but it was used. The fact it was a Blu-Ray player was the biggest selling point to me.

Man, I play the PS3 version of Buzz all the time with my wife. Great game. I've downloaded several of the question packs from the PSN.

I noticed there's a new version coming out this fall. The kids version in the PSN is also a lot of fun if you have any kids. I honestly had never played Buzz on the PS2, so it was a wonderful surprise when I tried it on the PS3.

I'd agree that the BR player is the biggest selling point for most people. Hell, it's the reason I bought a second one for my bedroom.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-02-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #674
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like we have some further fuel for the fire regarding a fall release for Gran Turismo 5. PS3Blog (a Euro website) has a new post listing several limited edition bundles. GT5 is a big deal, especially in Europe and Japan.

PS3 Slim Bundle Extravaganza « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net

Quote:
PAL ps3 slim pack for this year

* Pack PS3 Slim + Need for speed Shift : 339€ – Date de Sortie : 01 Octobre 2009 – 25.000 unités

* Pack PS3 Slim + 2 Blu-Ray : 339€ – Date de Sortie : Octobre 2009

* Pack PS3 Slim + Uncharted 2 : 339€ – Date de Sortie : 14 Octobre 2009 – 50.000 unités

* Pack PS3 Slim + PES 2010 : 339€ – Date de Sortie : 24 Octobre 2009 – 50.000 unités

* Pack PS3 Slim + Tekken 6 : 339€ – Date de Sortie : 04 Novembre 2009 – 25.000 unités

* Pack PS3 Slim + Assassin’s Creed 2 : 339€ – Date de Sortie : 19 Novembre 2009 – 25.000 unités

* Pack PS3 Slim + Gran Turismo 5 : 339€ – Date de Sortie : 04 Décembre 2009 – 75.000 unités

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-02-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #675
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, to clarify, the big selling point according to you of a HD console with free Wifi, free online gaming, and a Blu-ray drive was the ability to play games from last generation on that console?

Backwards compatibility was a fine option, but most PS3 owners never used it which is why they took it out.

Should we go back and pull all the quotes at the 360 launch with Microsoft being bashed for not having a hardware BC option? Can you admit here that Microsoft took the correct path now?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #676
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, I've spent more time playing PS2 games than PS3 games on mine.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #677
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Should we go back and pull all the quotes at the 360 launch with Microsoft being bashed for not having a hardware BC option? Can you admit here that Microsoft took the correct path now?

What do you mean 'now'? I don't think there's any question that MS made some good decisions early on and that Sony made some horrible decisions during that same period. That hasn't been in question going back some time. I'd also note that backward compatibility hasn't had any noticable effect overall. Sony had far bigger screw ups regarding marketing and price point that put the real dents in their sales. People weren't avoiding the PS3 because not all units could play PS2 games. They were avoiding it because it was too damn expensive.

But if we're dealing with the present, I don't think there's any question that the roles have been reversed in that regard. For the first time in this generation, Sony is the one making the best moves amongst the three major console makers.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-02-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #678
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

there's 2 things with the BC:
1) BC is a lot more important at launch than at any other time. The library of games obviously isn't as big and it's a good way to convince people to upgrade their system if they can still play their favorites even if they don't like many of the launch games of the new console.

2) The customer Sony is trying to sell to now probably doesn't care about BC due to #1 and the fact that most of those that do case (like me) have already purchased a BC version.

So no, I think Microsoft was still wrong in not offering BC
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #679
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
So no, I think Microsoft was still wrong in not offering full BC
Corrected that for you...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #680
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Thought I was the only one who was waiting on this. This is going to be such an amazing game, I just can't wait.

After reading that link, I'm now ready to go out and get it day 1.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-02-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #681
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI, I've heard some very good impressions about 'Cursed Mountain' for the Wii. Sounds like another one of those games for the Wii that probably isn't for the casual market (i.e. it won't sell terribly well), but it's a very good game with some interesting gameplay concepts.

Also, some new gameplay footage from Uncharted 2. Looks great......

Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #682
MJ4H
Coordinator

A friend and I blew through Contra Rebirth on Wiiware last night. $10 only about 5 or so levels so we were done in under an hour, but if you like Contra, it is great.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #683
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Dreamcast lives.

Rush Rush Valley Racing coming out on Dreamcast in October

Unfortunately my Dreamcast stopped working years ago and this game doesn't interest me much anyway.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-08-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #684
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have a Dreamcast. o_O
Old 09-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #685
SackAttack
Head Coach

Happy 10th birthday, Dreamcast!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #686
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

10 years since the best console launch I can remember, I still don't think I've ever been wowed by a game as much as I was when I stepped into a Lenox Mall EB Games and saw NFL2k in its glory for the first time. It was the best looking game I'd seen and blew the PS1 and the N64 out of the water. My brother and I wound up buying the console and that game (plus Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, and Sonic Adventure which we enjoyed to varying degrees, Soul Calibur especially was awesome), went back to the hotel, and proceeded to play those for the majority of the time we were in Atlanta. It was the best hurricane evacuation of all time and the pain of what is normally a five hour drive taking twelve hours was almost forgotten. That's the only time an in-store display had ever impressed me so much, of the dozens of games I've bought before and since >90% were planned purchases and the others were heavily discounted.

It was sad that the PS2's hype and DVD player killed it off so quickly, the PS2 was a great console eventually but it sucked for the first year yet people didn't care and snapped them up even though the Dreamcast had a far better library at that point in time. I wonder what might have been if Sega hadn't screwed themselves with the successive failures of the 32X and Saturn which led big publishers like EA to not support the Dreamcast.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-09-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #687
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:

BC is the only reason right now that I'm interested in buying a PS3. Heck I'm trying to find someone that is willing to trade theirs for a new PS3 slim that I would buy to trade for it. Problem is, its hard to find and/or I'll get reamed at Gamestop b/c they've jacked up the prices of the older console that has BC.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #688
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Dreamcast is possibly the worst purchase I ever made. Bought it for NFL2K, decided I didn't like the gameplay of it, then made a bunch of purchases trying to find a game to justify buying the Dreamcast. Hated the controller and never found a game I really liked. Eventually admitted defeat and sold it to Gamestop.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #689
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
BC is the only reason right now that I'm interested in buying a PS3. Heck I'm trying to find someone that is willing to trade theirs for a new PS3 slim that I would buy to trade for it. Problem is, its hard to find and/or I'll get reamed at Gamestop b/c they've jacked up the prices of the older console that has BC.

So why not just buy a new PS2 if that's the only reason you want to buy it?

I can certainly understand the cost issue. I have a 60 GB. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade it straight up for a Slim. People are willing to pay $375-$400 for the unit.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #690
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If BC is such a non-issue these days, why is there such a price premium on the ones that support it?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #691
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If BC is such a non-issue these days, why is there such a price premium on the ones that support it?

It hasn't really stirred up until recently (i.e. premium pricing on old models). There's a niche market of die-hard video game players who are suffering from buyers remorse that their $299 PS3 doesn't have BC and Sony has officially said it's not coming in future versions. But those same people weren't willing to pay $499-599 for that system. There's only going to be a small window to cash in on the feeding frenzy over the next couple of months, but there's definitely demand there right now to suck some cash out of those people.

But at the mass market level, there's very little reason to put BC in the new machines. Sony was smart to cut costs and make a redesigned PS3 at a $299 price point. It's a much better option.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #692
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
So why not just buy a new PS2 if that's the only reason you want to buy it?

I can certainly understand the cost issue. I have a 60 GB. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade it straight up for a Slim. People are willing to pay $375-$400 for the unit.

Obviously, I'd want the opportunity to play new PS3 games while having the ability to play PS2 within one unit. I don't want two units, who would want two units?

I'm looking for a person who doesn't care about the PS2 playability, there are people out there that could careless (I'm sure) while would be interested in a slimmer sleeker unit. That would be my basis of my trade offer.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #693
spleen1015
Coordinator

The only reason I got a PS3 when I did was because I was able to get the MGS4 bundle with BC and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get BC after that.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #694
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The only reason I got a PS3 when I did was because I was able to get the MGS4 bundle with BC and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get BC after that.

FWIW.....there are still 80 GB machines available online that play a vast majority of the PS2 games. That's selling for $299 right now while supplies last.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #695
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

PAX 2009: Red Dead Redemption lets you kill ... everything

Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #696
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Yeah. That game can't come quick enough.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #697
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crackdown 2 coming in late 2010.......

E3: Crackdown 2 trailer - Gamersyde

New trailer for Demon Souls for PS3 (October U.S. release)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOcm...layer_embedded

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-10-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #698
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

So that´s what´s the selling point nowadays ?

Quote:
What kind of lives? See a bunny bouncing by? Kablam. Attacked by a wild bear? Kapow. Angry at your horse and want to put him down? Kablang.

The demo lasted about 15 minutes, so we didn't see nearly as much as we would have liked, including the promised animal killing ...

sounds reall intriguing though, i´ve been long thinking about picking up a RPG type action game for the 360 but haven´t really found anything to my liking, this Wild West setting sounds intriguing for a change.

Has anyone got a recomendation for a similar game, maybe with a little less "kablam", "kapow" and "kablang" involved yet not actionless ?
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #699
MJ4H
Coordinator

Some reviews of Scribblenauts are starting to show up and wow are people blown away by this game. Here's a sample:

Scribblenauts | WiiNintendo
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #700
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know I can't wait

Tho I don't really want to read too many reviews. I'd rather use my own imagination when playing the game

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-10-2009 at 12:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote