Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #701
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
No surprise for Wright. I heard he has to do some work in the classroom though, any truth to that?

Well, he didn't pick Stanford or UCLA. How much work will he need to do?

(And, yes, I know USC has been an ever improving academic institution; that said, they still accept all recruits at NCAA minimums, I believe...)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #702
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mathis to Oregon
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #703
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, he didn't pick Stanford or UCLA. How much work will he need to do?

(And, yes, I know USC has been an ever improving academic institution; that said, they still accept all recruits at NCAA minimums, I believe...)

Not only is at improving academic institution, but it has passed UCLA in most academic measures and will only widen that lead with the cuts UCLA is experiencing.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #704
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Not only is at improving academic institution, but it has passed UCLA in most academic measures and will only widen that lead with the cuts UCLA is experiencing.

I don't pay that close attention, but I do knew every university "list" I have seen still lists UCLA above USC in overall academic excellence, and usually by a sizeable amount in whatever ranking system it uses. But USC has been improving (as I noted) in recent years.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #705
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Most academic measures? Do you have a link? I know they will pass UCLA eventually because they don't have to disclose everything.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #706
MrBug708
Head Coach

lol@Bob Johnson.

He really hates everything UCLA. He's using Jones as a FB to block, except as a single back to run up the middle
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #707
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Most academic measures? Do you have a link? I know they will pass UCLA eventually because they don't have to disclose everything.

Should have said most ranking lists. U.S. News new rankings has USC's graduate programs ahead of UCLA's by 7 or 8 spots in most areas and as an overall body. They are behind UCLA for the undergraduate rankings by 2 slots, but that is expected to change with the cuts that will keep coming to UCLA with the California budget crisis. Other lists are similar but are pay sites.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #708
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Should have said most ranking lists. U.S. News new rankings has USC's graduate programs ahead of UCLA's by 7 or 8 spots in most areas and as an overall body. They are behind UCLA for the undergraduate rankings by 2 slots, but that is expected to change with the cuts that will keep coming to UCLA with the California budget crisis. Other lists are similar but are pay sites.

Fair enough. Being a private school, USC can choose to report things however they want. I was talking to a USC admissions counselor a while back and she told me that 25% of USC's admissions were "special admits" IE athletics or kids of alums and thus do not have to report it. I also know that USC picks the highest SAT score in each category and presents that as the incoming SAT score rather then the scores taken on each test

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-09-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #709
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Woods is telling the USC reporter at the game today that while he was shocked by this, that he is committing to the university and not a coach and will remain a Trojan. Any of these kids that stick through this chaos are going to be some of my favorites ever.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #710
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Brandon Willis to Tennessee.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #711
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Nice to see the $$$ is still flowing.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #712
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Fair enough. Being a private school, USC can choose to report things however they want. I was talking to a USC admissions counselor a while back and she told me that 25% of USC's admissions were "special admits" IE athletics or kids of alums and thus do not have to report it. I also know that USC picks the highest SAT score in each category and presents that as the incoming SAT score rather then the scores taken on each test

Who really cares, USC trumps UCLA anyday.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #713
MacroGuru
Coordinator

It was nice to see Jake Heaps out there today. I was quite impressed with him and his poise in the pocket.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #714
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I thought Heaps looked good, but that Morceaux (sp) really impressed me. Somehow, I doubt he'll end up at Dartmouth.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #715
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Who really cares, USC trumps UCLA anyday.

Certainly in the chance to be admitted into the school
Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #716
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Brandon Willis to Tennessee.

At least today
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #717
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ed Yandell committed to UCLA today. He's a local 3 star offensive lineman.

Riley's facebook has UCLA plastered all over it according to a poster on the UCLA rivals site, so I would imagine that's a good thing
Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #718
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ed Yandell committed to UCLA today. He's a local 3 star offensive lineman.
You mean Wade Yandall, right?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #719
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not exactly recruiting news, but somewhat related -- Noel Devine returned back to Morgantown/WVU today, attended tonight's team meeting, and reportedly plans to return for his senior season. A very nice surprise for Mountaineer fans, as we had lost our long-time verbal RB verbal commit, Braylon Heard, to Nebraska a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty surprised that he returned, as I think his NFL shortcomings (height, weight, etc) are all things that will be issues whether he comes out now or later. I guess he could improve his receiving and return stock if he is used a little differently next season. Anyway, with all of the tough things he has endured in his life, it will be a nice story if he can put together a strong and healthy senior season, earn his degree, and go on to the NFL.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-10-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #720
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Not exactly recruiting news, but somewhat related -- Noel Devine returned back to Morgantown/WVU today, attended tonight's team meeting, and reportedly plans to return for his senior season. A very nice surprise for Mountaineer fans, as we had lost our long-time verbal RB verbal commit, Braylon Heard, to Nebraska a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty surprised that he returned, as I think his NFL shortcomings (height, weight, etc) are all things that will be issues whether he comes out now or later. I guess he could improve his receiving and return stock if he is used a little differently next season. Anyway, with all of the tough things he has endured in his life, it will be a nice story if he can put together a strong and healthy senior season, earn his degree, and go on to the NFL.

Considering no one seemed to think he'd make it more than a year or two at Morgantown this is good to see. He'll be the first in his family to earn a degree and it's something he's mentioned more than once as motivation.

There were a lot of opinions formed of him as a person before he even stepped foot on the field at WVU and I'll say he's been a great person to have represent the school. He's not perfect, but he really is a hard working kid that has surpassed people's expectations and then some.

He still has until Friday to change his mind, but this has to make WVU the favorite in the Big East next year. Devine and Jock back, improved talent and depth on both lines, and the most returning starters in the league. The biggest help, though, is probably a QB that is more of a pocket guy and isn't mistake prone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #721
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

Yup, brainfart by Bug. It's Wade Yandall. Looks like a tough kid. I like tough kids on the OL.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #722
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Considering no one seemed to think he'd make it more than a year or two at Morgantown this is good to see. He'll be the first in his family to earn a degree and it's something he's mentioned more than once as motivation.

There were a lot of opinions formed of him as a person before he even stepped foot on the field at WVU and I'll say he's been a great person to have represent the school. He's not perfect, but he really is a hard working kid that has surpassed people's expectations and then some.

He still has until Friday to change his mind, but this has to make WVU the favorite in the Big East next year. Devine and Jock back, improved talent and depth on both lines, and the most returning starters in the league. The biggest help, though, is probably a QB that is more of a pocket guy and isn't mistake prone.

Agreed on almost everything. I think having Devine back will make Geno Smith's life a whole lot easier next season. It sounds like the coaches want to increase Clarke's role in the offense next season, as they have apparently been studying Jerome Bettis' tapes form the Steelers. If we can pound it out with Clarke and Devine next season, breaking in a relatively inexperienced QB will be much, much easier. I'm not sure we'll be the favorites because of the x-factor at QB, but I think we should be in the conversation, as most of the other schools will be breaking in new QBs and there has been a ton of coaching turnover (both head coaches and assistants).
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #723
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola to add: If Clarke's role does increase to the point where he is getting 15-20 carries a game next season, I hope that WVU's coaches watch a lot of C.J. Spiller tape during the offseason and find different ways to get Devine the ball. I think 12-15 carries, 3-5 receptions, and 3-5 returns would be manageable for him and would help establish his versatility to the NFL guys who might only see him as a situational back right now.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #724
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just got the best news of the weekend. The coaches have talked to Prater and he has decided to stick with USC! He'll be enrolling this week after all.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #725
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

Ya..totally spaced out
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #726
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Just got the best news of the weekend. The coaches have talked to Prater and he has decided to stick with USC! He'll be enrolling this week after all.

I'll believe it when I see it

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-10-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #727
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it

Me too. I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind. A lot of it is going to depend upon if we can really pull off all of the hires that are rumored. We need a strong coaching staff in place very quickly to keep this class together.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #728
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I also know that USC picks the highest SAT score in each category and presents that as the incoming SAT score rather then the scores taken on each test

No dog in this fight, but the SAT themselves now recognize this as a student's score. Universities are allowed to report the lower highst aitting score, but the official SAT recognized number is the highest aggragate.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #729
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Me too. I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind. A lot of it is going to depend upon if we can really pull off all of the hires that are rumored. We need a strong coaching staff in place very quickly to keep this class together.

Im not saying he's not going to end up at USC, I just find it odd that he would still enroll tomorrow
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #730
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im not saying he's not going to end up at USC, I just find it odd that he would still enroll tomorrow

Not tomorrow. Later this week if the staff comes together as expected. He can enroll a few days late as long as he is before the add/drop date and catches up on his work. If he comes (and any kid that sticks through this mess), that is a great sign that they truly love USC and this class is going to be one of my favorites ever.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-11-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #731
MrBug708
Head Coach

I didn't think the NCAA let allowed that? I thought you had to be enrolled on day 1 or wait til the next quarter/semester?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #732
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't think the NCAA let allowed that? I thought you had to be enrolled on day 1 or wait til the next quarter/semester?

I thought you were allowed to come a few days late.. that might be my point of confusion. Either way, I'm hearing more sources that Prater is likely to go ahead with his early enrollment at USC and that he really fell in love with the tradition, the weather, and some of his fellow recruits.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #733
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just checked and Prater can enroll anytime up to the add/drop day.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-11-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #734
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Cool Article on Uona

BYU welcomes USC transfer Kaveinga to football team | Universe.byu.edu

Quote:
The BYU football program welcomes a familiar face this semester; a face the program thought had gotten away two years ago.
Sophomore Uona Kaveinga, of Lawndale, Calif., arrived in Provo for Winter Semester. Kaveinga was admitted to BYU on Jan. 6.
There have been a lot of discussions about Kaveinga’s transfer because he was one player who had turned away from BYU.
“There had only been, I think, two players who have told me they would come to BYU then changed their mind,” Bronco Mendenhall, head football coach, told the Deseret News. “Uona was one of them. He at one point knew this is where he was supposed to be ... if I remember correctly, his parents showed up to signing day wearing BYU gear. It wasn’t until he put on the USC hat — I think that’s what I heard he did — that anyone knew that he had changed his mind. I’m not even sure he knew.”
Recruited by USC, Arizona, BYU, California, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, UCLA and Utah, Kaveinga had options coming out of high school. As part of the 2008 recruiting class, Kaveinga was a highly recruited linebacker out of Leuzinger High School. According to rivals.com, Kaveinga was ranked as the No. 5 linebacker in the U.S., and ranked No. 97 overall for his recruiting class.
Kaveinga spent the last two years playing for the USC football team.
“He loved the football at USC, but he couldn’t ignore what he once felt about wanting to be at BYU,” Mendenhall told the Deseret News. “He asked for his release with (USC) coach (Pete) Carroll. Once that happened, then he talked to me and asked if he could be considered for the team. I told him that I didn’t have a scholarship for him. He said, ‘It doesn’t matter.’ So he flew to Las Vegas the day after he got his release.”
As the Cougars prepared for the 2009 Maaco Bowl in Las Vegas, Kaveinga and Mendenhall discussed the possibility of a transfer. Mendenhall told the Deseret News Kaveinga’s situation would be different than his situation at USC.
“We walked around the track a few times during practice and the conversation was to reiterate what this program is, why he would want to come, reiterating that he would be paying for his own schooling, at least initially, and what he’s willing to do to contribute to our team,” Mendenhall said, according to the Deseret News. “Once he shared those things, I was convinced that he was sincere, that this is where he wanted to be and for the right reasons.”

Bronco thought he was a lock and his parents were dressed in BYU gear on signing day and then he throws a curveball and goes to USC which his parents did not know. Now to get PT and show that he can play LB he is willing to walk on at BYU and pay his way, and according to Bronco he wants to be at BYU for the right reasons...he will be solid for us.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #735
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just checked and Prater can enroll anytime up to the add/drop day.

The last day for all of the USC early enrollees to enroll is January 28th.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #736
MrBug708
Head Coach

Uko is going to have an in-home with UCLA
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #737
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im digging Grimble right now
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #738
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jon Gold, the Daily News writer, just said that Shirley is a silent to UCLA fwiw
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #739
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im digging Grimble right now

Dig him all you want, he is going to end up at USC
Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #740
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Cool Article on Uona

BYU welcomes USC transfer Kaveinga to football team | Universe.byu.edu

Bronco thought he was a lock and his parents were dressed in BYU gear on signing day and then he throws a curveball and goes to USC which his parents did not know. Now to get PT and show that he can play LB he is willing to walk on at BYU and pay his way, and according to Bronco he wants to be at BYU for the right reasons...he will be solid for us.

With him, Stout, Van Noy, Pendleton, Ho Ching and Fua we have some big time talent at LB for the next few seasons.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #741
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Dig him all you want, he is going to end up at USC

Possibly! Woods is gonna stick with USC, Uko is the most likely to turn
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #742
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of digging guys, I'm digging Randall Telfair. His rallying of this class is impressive.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #743
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Prater "loves" the hire and will be enrolling at USC as soon as he can put things in order.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #744
Swaggs
Coordinator

From a recruiting standpoint, I am really glad to see Kiffin move out West. Hopefully, WVU can poach some recruits from UT before they get a coach in place -- I know they have been working on Markeith Ambles and Nickell Robey lately. Adding those two would be incredible.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #745
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Xavier Grimble just re-committed to USC. I imagine a lot of the guys will be doing that over the next day.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #746
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Posted this in the hiring thread on accident:

ADMIN
Post #19997
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Interesting Rumblings Reply
We have heard from multiple sources, including defensive tackle Marlon Walls that Ed Orgeron was on the phone tonight with some of the early enrollees telling them not to go to class tomorrow and attempting to begin the process of recruiting them to USC.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #747
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Not necessarily a "recruit" but the word is Harvey Unga is staying at BYU for his senior season to finish the degree and just stack the rushing records he has broken to the point I don't think they ever will be broken.

So we now have a pretty solid backfield for next season, which we will need to help take the pressure off of Heaps or Nielsen, whoever is QB.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #748
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC has decided to stop pursuing RB Lache Seastrunk. I think this is a good choice by the university due to the rumors out there about him. My guess is that he'll end up at Oregon now.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #749
Tigercat
College Starter

What are the rumors? Everything I hear is he was a good kid from a good family before recruiting started... If anything, he is just an overrated football player. He was very unimpressive (for his skill set) as a senior. I like his potential, and would be happy if LSU lands him, but I look at him as one of those super fast unrefined 3 star RBs you see now and again.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #750
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Rumors that he has a handler who is questionable.