Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #701
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So when does MSU get good again?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #702
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

WI gets the 2 seed in the B1G tourney. Woot. Much rather face a Minnesota team over Iowa in the Quarters.

This Nebraska game is gonna have a rowdy crowd.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 06:37 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #703
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
WI gets the 2 seed in the B1G tourney. Woot. Much rather face a Minnesota team over Iowa in the Quarters.

This Nebraska game is gonna have a rowdy crowd.

Playing Iowa is an offensive scrimmage right now though. Six out of the past seven games giving up over 70 and twice over 90. And this is the slow it down big ten we are talking about Minnesota will need that game as well.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-09-2014 at 06:44 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #704
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better crowd in the B1G than what the Huskers fans are doing right now. The atmosphere is insane. Glad the Badgers battled through the initial adrenaline shot Nebby had going. Up 1 and Petteway with two fouls. Just keep attacking him.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #705
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a better crowd in the B1G than what the Huskers fans are doing right now. The atmosphere is insane. Glad the Badgers battled through the initial adrenaline shot Nebby had going. Up 1 and Petteway with two fouls. Just keep attacking him.

They heard there was a football game tonight.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #706
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
St Louis @ UMass a good finish..

Wow, St Louis pulls it off to end their skid! Jett with a nice drive to the hoop and surprisingly UMass doesn't call a timeout to draw something up but you can argue that you might not get as good a look as they got.
Ugh. Great atmosphere, just let them hang around wayyy too long (Carter or Putney needed to knock down just one of those multiple open 3's they each got in the 2nd half), and Jett made them pay. Don't have a problem with no timeout called then - 3.8 seconds left I'd much rather have Chaz getting the ball with a head of steam against an unorganized D than having to draw up a full court play vs. a set D.

Trey Davis having the flu really hurt us. His season stats aren't great because he started the season as just a backup PG, but we've basically become a 3 guard lineup down the stretch of every game with Putney as a 4 and either Lalanne or Carter as the only real big. He has 13+ points in 8 of the last 11, coming off a game where he put up 20 and 8 and was the best player on the court, and he had 0 points and his lowest minute total of the season today. Wish he had been the one getting those open 3-pt looks down the stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me why it takes a black coach (or one with a high-profile) to get solid 3* recruits to an Ivy. Yes the pool is limited even with the slight lowering of standards for recruits, but you should clean up with kids that clear the threshold.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #707
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I guess none of the one seed hopefuls want the one seed.. Wisconsin going down.

Now we need to do well in the B1G to get a 2 seed but we're solid 3 maybe 2 now.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #708
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

TJ Warren scores 42 against BC, following up his 41 from the last game against Pittsburgh. He has piled up points by the bushel and leads the ACC in scoring and in field goal percentage, which is a tough thing to do when you're a wing forward and not some leviathan camped in the lane. Who knows? He might even win ACC Player of the Week for the first time this year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #709
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me why it takes a black coach (or one with a high-profile) to get solid 3* recruits to an Ivy. Yes the pool is limited even with the slight lowering of standards for recruits, but you should clean up with kids that clear the threshold.

Don't underestimate how little the average Ivy League student cares about sports and how important making a recruit feel wanted or like they're the big man on campus is to the entire process. For anyone good enough to play Division I, basketball's obviously been a huge part of their life, and it's hard to transition to an environment where the crowds for your games are smaller than they were in high school.

It kind of parallels all the talk about increasing the age limit for the NBA. I can just about assure you that a player would improve more following a year in the D League than a year in college, but an Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker is not gonna turn down a year of being royalty to thousands of their peers and all the increased exposure/branding that comes with it for a year of riding the bus from Reno to Sioux Falls for $20,000 or whatever.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #710
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Shirt that Wichita State players received after winning their tournament.......

Old 03-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #711
britrock88
Pro Starter

The NIT field is fast filling up with regular season champions booted from their conference tourneys. We already have Vermont, Florida Gulf Coast, High Point, Green Bay, Belmont, Davidson, and could add Delaware tonight if W&M breaks its eternal NCAA jinx (and Iona if Manhattan wins the MAAC).
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #712
PilotMan
Head Coach

North Dakota State dominated tonight over Denver. The beat this team at home by 10 points 10 days ago. Tonight on a neutral site they won by 35. It was 42-15 at the half. We play tomorrow night for a chance at The Dance. It would be the second time in school history that we've made the tournament.

Go Bison!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #713
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Don't underestimate how little the average Ivy League student cares about sports and how important making a recruit feel wanted or like they're the big man on campus is to the entire process. For anyone good enough to play Division I, basketball's obviously been a huge part of their life, and it's hard to transition to an environment where the crowds for your games are smaller than they were in high school.
Boo hoo. It's a (mostly) free Ivy League Education. If you can't sell that to a kid with like a 3.7 and a 1900 on his SAT's you're not doing your job. But most Ivy League coaches buy into that mindset. It shouldn't take a black coach to recruit black basketball players.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #714
nol
Banned

Quote:
Boo hoo. It's a (mostly) free Ivy League Education. If you can't sell that to a kid with like a 3.7 and a 1900 on his SAT's you're not doing your job. But most Ivy League coaches buy into that mindset. It shouldn't take a black coach to recruit black basketball players.

The education part's a bit overrated when anyone that smart who played Division I basketball anywhere is going to have no problems with whichever job or graduate school they're looking at down the road.

Plus, the fact that Amaker's black is secondary to the fact that he had credibility from being Coach K's top assistant and coaching in power conferences. Other Ivy league schools have hired African American head coaches, but none were as big a name as Amaker.

Last edited by nol : 03-11-2014 at 09:22 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #715
PilotMan
Head Coach

NDSU will be on ESPN2 tonight for their shot at the Tournament if you are looking for something to watch.

Like Steam?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #716
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

It doesn't. It does take a commitment to basketball, though, and that's really what Amaker represented more than anything else. What he has done within the black community at Harvard is, while likely helpful to recruiting, separate from that.

Maybe ironically, to your point, the tipping point for an influential alum to really start making noise about making a change 7 years ago was the absolute flubbing of a hand delivered two star (if that) recruit. The player ended up going to Penn, but underscored your point--if Harvard couldn't close on guys who approached them with interest, how could they get recruits who you would think should be attainable and who would make a difference in the program.

The rest, as they say, is history.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #717
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've never been more embarrassed as a Longhorns fan.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #718
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

That's terrible..
Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #719
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I've never been more embarrassed as a Longhorns fan.

Proof that the Longhorns sold their soul and Beiber is the Imp sent to impose punishment upon the faithful....
Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #720
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
About the only silver lining I can see from the situation is that apparently Rick Barnes had never heard of Bieber, and when the team saw the pic, the biggest question was 'Where's Selena?'

http://www.mystatesman.com/weblogs/b...s-justin-bieb/

Last edited by cartman : 03-11-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #721
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sick and one at the end of the ndsu game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #722
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
NDSU will be on ESPN2 tonight for their shot at the Tournament if you are looking for something to watch.

Congrats to your alma mater. That was a great game.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #723
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah man that was tense all the way to the end. Heck of a move by Braun at the end to get the bucket and the foul. Thanks.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #724
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to see some big conference basketball finally starting today! Should make the day pass quicker.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #725
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #726
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Excited to see some big conference basketball finally starting today! Should make the day pass quicker.

Auburn vs. South Carolina
Wake Forest vs. Notre Dame
Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech vs. Boston College

WHERE DO I SIGN UP???111???!!!

Give me Manhattan vs. Iona, North Dakota State vs. IPFU, and W&M vs. Delaware any day over those games.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Auburn vs. South Carolina
Wake Forest vs. Notre Dame
Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech vs. Boston College

WHERE DO I SIGN UP???111???!!!

Give me Manhattan vs. Iona, North Dakota State vs. IPFU, and W&M vs. Delaware any day over those games.

I guess I meant that there's something to watch at work today as opposed to the last couple of days.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #728
digamma
Torchbearer

To my point, six minutes into the GT-BC game, it is 4-2 BC, and the highlight package at the first television timeout included the coaches' handshake, the tip-off and a pass.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #729
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
To my point, six minutes into the GT-BC game, it is 4-2 BC, and the highlight package at the first television timeout included the coaches' handshake, the tip-off and a pass.

Sounds like someone just doesn't appreciate good, hard-nosed, defensive big conference basketball. Or really sloppy play. Whichever fits.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #730
digamma
Torchbearer

You're probably right. And one thing's true...I sure as hell appreciate a good firm coach-shake.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #731
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
You're probably right. And one thing's true...I sure as hell appreciate a good firm coach-shake.

That can really set the tone for a game. The handshake must have been very reasoned and methodical. The teams are on pace for a 44-32 final score at the 10 minute mark.

Last edited by cartman : 03-12-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #732
cartman
Death Herald

BC is shooting 23%, GT 21.4%
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #733
BishopMVP
Coordinator

And BC's best player is considering applying early for the NBA draft

Plus their next 2 best players might transfer - Sources: Olivier Hanlan could leave Boston College mens’ basketball team after ACC tourney - Sports - The Boston Globe
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #734
digamma
Torchbearer

Power outage!

And that's not just a reference to the poor offense.

The lights are out in Greensboro.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #735
cartman
Death Herald

They've started hitting baskets since the 10 minute mark. At time out with 5 minutes to go in the half, BC is at 35%, GT 40%
Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #736
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Blind Resume time!

Team A: RPI 31 SOS 28 TOP 50: 3-6 Top 100: 8-7 (3 150+ losses)

Team B: RPI: 45 SOS 73 TOP 50: 1-6 Top 100: 6-8 OOC SOS: 221

Team C: RPI 54 SOS 31 TOP 50: 4-9 Top 100: 8-11 (6-8 road/neutral record)

Team D: RPI 60 SOS 85 Top 50: 3-3 Top 100: 8-8 OOC SOS: 199

Bonus point if you can guess which one both ESPN and CBS have highest on their bracketology.
Spoiler
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #737
cartman
Death Herald

GT-BC ended up turning into an interesting game after all. Boston College battled back from 13 down to tie it up late, and send the game to OT

Last edited by cartman : 03-12-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #738
cartman
Death Herald

BC had a chance to tie it up late in OT, but didn't. Georgia Tech moves on.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #739
cartman
Death Herald

Over in the Mountain West, Air Force lost a 12 point lead and Fresno State won 61-59 when Air Force missed their last shot.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #740
cartman
Death Herald

If I'm looking at the DirecTV guide correctly, it appears there are 7 games on right now.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #741
BillyNYC
High School JV

Have a few days off from work, so doing something that was on the bucket list for a long time: attending Big East Tourney at MSG. Alas, no cuse or Louisville or uconn anymore but should still be fun. 4 basketball games in one day (have tickets for both sessions) might be a tad much, but should be fun.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #742
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Have a few days off from work, so doing something that was on the bucket list for a long time: attending Big East Tourney at MSG. Alas, no cuse or Louisville or uconn anymore but should still be fun. 4 basketball games in one day (have tickets for both sessions) might be a tad much, but should be fun.

They are about due for another 7 overtime game!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #743
cartman
Death Herald

DePaul upsets Georgetown 60-56. That likely bursts the Hoyas bubble.

Last edited by cartman : 03-12-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #744
Izulde
Head Coach

I saw a ton of Arizona Wildcats fans when I was wandering the Strip today.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #745
Izulde
Head Coach

dola,

I've gone to both Wyoming and UNLV in my lengthy academic tenure... and they play each other tomorrow afternoon. I'll try and find a place near where I'm teaching now to catch the game before class.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 03-13-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #746
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post

It seems like it would be a tad much... but I've been to the A10 tournament when it was in Dayton, and it's not too much. Not at all.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #747
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope we can beat Illinois today. That'd be nice. Pretty much need to win the Big Ten tourney to get in to the big dance.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #748
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Note to self: get work done today before 2pm Kansas-Okie State game

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #749
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I hope we can beat Illinois today. That'd be nice. Pretty much need to win the Big Ten tourney to get in to the big dance.

Not a great start
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #750
Logan
Head Coach

Seton Hall is blitzing Villanova early, up 32-19 with ~4 mins left.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote