Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #751
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Hell of a series, I have to say it.

Some of it was. For two teams that seemed evenly matched, 4 of the games were absolute dogs.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #752
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That sucks, we may have watched the extinguishing of the last bit of team basketball in the NBA as the all-me all the time highlight junkies have taken over.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #753
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
That's really gotta suck for Tim Duncan. Not only do you miss the game tying bunny, but you get a piece of confetti stuck to your head going into the locker room.

I think he's done ok for himself

SI

Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #754
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Danny Green, just 8 points in the final two games.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #755
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Hell of a series, I have to say it.

Not really, just a good games 1, 6 and 7. The others weren't close.

Even at that, much of game 7 was very sloppy so while it was close it wasn't great play.

Now the Stanley Cup finals, even though I don't care for either team, that has been one hell of a series so far with 3 of 4 games going to OT.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #756
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That sucks, we may have watched the extinguishing of the last bit of team basketball in the NBA as the all-me all the time highlight junkies have taken over.

It'll be anarchy! Dogs and cats living together!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #757
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Not really, just a good games 1, 6 and 7. The others weren't close.

Even at that, much of game 7 was very sloppy so while it was close it wasn't great play.

Now the Stanley Cup finals, even though I don't care for either team, that has been one hell of a series so far with 3 of 4 games going to OT.

I always prefer hockey over basketball. And shrug. It was a battle between two evenly matched clubs and no, not perfectly executed ball but enough highlight moments to make it worthwhile.

Stanley Cup Finals this year, I don't care for either team either but it's a great series. But still, I liked the ending to this one. I only tuned in for the ends of 6 and most of 7, but it was generally worth it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #758
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think he's done ok for himself

SI

Sarcasm meter broken?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #759
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And the other was a 2-0 game so it wasn't exactly a blowout, tho I don't know if Chicago would have scored a goal if that game had gone 120 minutes.

SI

Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #760
Groundhog
Coordinator

I even enjoyed the blowouts of this series. Both teams did a good job of adjusting from games 1 through 6, where as tonight it was just a slugfest. As good as Lebron was in the 4th, it was really the shooting of Battier and the late game TOs of Manu that decided the game in the end.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #761
Suicane75
Coordinator

Now that that's over, and I don't feel like I'm needlessly shitting on anyones parade, I have to get this off my chest. The two games I watched, games 6 and 7, was some of the shittiest basketball I could have imagined seeing in an NBA finals. I have zero doubt in my mind that the 90's Bulls would have wiped the floor with either of these teams and the Suns, Jazz, Pacers, Knicks of that era would have probably won 75% the series they played against them.

Might as well just go 2 on 2 if that's what the game has become.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #762
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Danny Green, just 8 points in the final two games.

...and they never saw him again.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #763
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Get off my TV David Stern for the last time.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #764
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Sarcasm meter broken?

Probably. A bit tired so it's probably bedtime

SI

Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #765
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Now that that's over, and I don't feel like I'm needlessly shitting on anyones parade, I have to get this off my chest. The two games I watched, games 6 and 7, was some of the shittiest basketball I could have imagined seeing in an NBA finals. I have zero doubt in my mind that the 90's Bulls would have wiped the floor with either of these teams and the Suns, Jazz, Pacers, Knicks of that era would have probably won 75% the series they played against them.

You're just an old fart. Back in my day, Jordan pulled a horse and buggy up the court with one leg, and still played solid defense.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #766
yeah826
High School JV

Quote:

Keep telling yourself that Lebron just went ham on the Spurs and Im sure he can compete with those other teams you mentioned.
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #767
Groundhog
Coordinator

Green got about 3 open looks in the last 2 games. Great work by the Heat to shut him out... and with the way he put the ball on the floor tonight, he's clearly a spot-up shooter and little else.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #768
Groundhog
Coordinator

A few brain-farts aside, Danny Green also played some good D.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #769
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I was more impressed with Duncan in the series than anybody else really. Too bad Manu made a case for him betting on the Heat, and Green was one step above a corpse during the last two games. This felt maybe more like the Spurs lost it versus the Heat winning it. The boring part for me is that we all can vastly assume the Heat will do the seemingly mandatory three peat before things get interesting again. Outside of the occasional team to mix things up, the champs just seem like the champs on repeat. This is where the NFL gets it right.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #770
Galaril
Pro Starter

This fucking team is hard to like unless your are Miami fan. And sorry Lebron can keep telling himself whatever but he ain't no MJ.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-20-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #771
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
Keep telling yourself that Lebron just went ham on the Spurs and Im sure he can compete with those other teams you mentioned.

I think the Heat would do fine against a number of those teams. The difference with Chicago is the Heat would actually have to show up every game.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #772
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Quote:

I feel the opposite way, the NBA and NFL have both evolved dramatically since the late 90's. I don't feel like Jordan's Bulls would be a threat to the Heat or Spurs of this year. Of course, there's no real way of proving that one way or the other.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #773
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Legend. Best player in this era and definite top 3 of all time.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #774
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
I feel the opposite way, the NBA and NFL have both evolved dramatically since the late 90's. I don't feel like Jordan's Bulls would be a threat to the Heat or Spurs of this year. Of course, there's no real way of proving that one way or the other.

I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson could coach in this league right now. I can't imagine a team with Jordan not being up to the task. The dude never needed a Game 7.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #775
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I Feel bad for TD. No title and now a divorce to look forward to
Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #776
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson could coach in this league right now. I can't imagine a team with Jordan not being up to the task. The dude never needed a Game 7.

So by beating a dynasty in 7 diminishes what the Heat have done?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #777
miami_fan
Coordinator

Time to update the signature
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #778
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

He is legend and I feel bad for how this game ended for him. He appeared to be crushed.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #779
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Respectfully, this sounds like the typical back in my day, when men were men, and everyone walked 6 miles uphill type of speech. Lebron is one of the greatest of all time - the level of competition only gets better, not worse.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #780
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Here's my problem - this is nothing but conjecture, with a premise that is entirely made up. Jordan is the greatest player of all time and won every title when paired with another guy who was one of the 50 greatest of all time- your threshold for Lebron is that he should be better than that already? Seriously?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #781
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Nah, I respect the Spurs. I just feel that there's so much over-the-top criticism of the Heat (and specifically Lebron) that it gets a little silly. If Miami loses tonight, everyone in the national media is going to say that Miami "has to" break up the big 3 and do something different. Yet, this team has made it to 3 straight finals, one title and a game 7 at home.

No one says that Indiana needs to "blow it up" after getting beat two straight playoffs by the Heat or that Memphis needs to make massive changes after losing to the Spurs or even that the Thunder need to redo their roster after falling short in two straight playoffs. I also doubt that if SA loses tonight that the media will be like "well, they need to trade Manu and Duncan to get more help for Parker - he can't do it all himself".

Yet, with the Heat, people can't wait to try to break them up and have that team make massive changes - even though they've been by far the most successful NBA team the past 3 seasons (and it's not even close).

Sensible.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #782
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh yeah and the Heat finally won two games in a row.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #783
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Here's my problem - this is nothing but conjecture, with a premise that is entirely made up. Jordan is the greatest player of all time and won every title when paired with another guy who was one of the 50 greatest of all time- your threshold for Lebron is that he should be better than that already? Seriously?

Lebron did lose a title with a couple stars, including a player better than Pippen just a couple years ago.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #784
Danny
Head Coach

Lebrun is best player in the league but he still has a long way to go to come close to Jordan
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #785
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Legend. Best player in this era and definite top 3 of all time.

Maybe give him a few more years and a couple more titles for this? If his career ended today, Jordan, Russell and Kobe are my top three in that order. Again if his career ended today, then I'll create a second group with two players that were out there tonight, Lebron and Tim Duncan, add in Magic and Bird, and possibly Oscar Robertson and Kareem and have a fun debate about 4-9 between them.

I'm not knocking Lebron here, just saw "top 3 all time" mentioned and thought "oooo, lets make lists"
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #786
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You do realize LeBron took a pay cut to join the Heat, right? You may just be very bitter and very out of touch with reality.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #787
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Miami Heat's championship appeal - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #788
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
You do realize LeBron took a pay cut to join the Heat, right? You may just be very bitter and very out of touch with reality.

I think he's more referring to the AAU mentality. Players as mercenaries who care only about themselves. Team accomplishments are only important if they boost someone's personal marketing appeal. This isn't a Heat championship, it's a Lebron championship. I don't think some of those players give two shits about the city or team.

That's not a knock on them, this is a business after all and there is a lot of money at stake. There is a reason why Tim Duncan and Tony Parker aren't in 20 commercials apiece and selling millions of shoes. They don't play that game. But I see the appeal as fans who want to root for players who talk about how "we" won a title instead of how "I" won a title.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-21-2013 at 05:34 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #789
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like a great game. Too bad it started so late that I fell asleep early in the 3rd quarter.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #790
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Duncan makes a shot... he turns and runs back on defense like a professional.

LePunk makes a shot, he has to stand and pose... look at me.... look at me.... douchebag.

you couldn't sound anymore like an out of touch middle aged white guy
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #791
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Lebron did lose a title with a couple stars, including a player better than Pippen just a couple years ago.

This. I don't expect LeBron to outdo Jordan. I don't think he's the equivalent either. The Heat treated the playoffs like they could simply show up when they needed to. The Bulls were actively trying to beat you every time.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #792
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Maybe give him a few more years and a couple more titles for this? If his career ended today, Jordan, Russell and Kobe are my top three in that order. Again if his career ended today, then I'll create a second group with two players that were out there tonight, Lebron and Tim Duncan, add in Magic and Bird, and possibly Oscar Robertson and Kareem and have a fun debate about 4-9 between them.

I'm not knocking Lebron here, just saw "top 3 all time" mentioned and thought "oooo, lets make lists"

The fact that you would put Kobe in the top 3 makes me not want to argue with you. Kobe won 3 championships with one of the most dominant centers ever.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #793
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
The fact that you would put Kobe in the top 3 makes me not want to argue with you. Kobe won 3 championships with one of the most dominant centers ever.

It is an argument people can have until they are blue in the face. The thing that cracks me up about Kobe, is while he is amazing, he never won shit without all stars around him either, yet people kill LeBron for the same thing.

I think I would put Duncan ahead of Kobe TBH, he was the best player on his team for every title and at 37 still plays at an amazing level.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #794
heybrad
Norm!!!

I think Chris Bosh should go down as the most unselfish player in NBA history since he realized he should allow Lebron and Wade to do all the scoring and not score a single point himself. Well done Chris Bosh!!!
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #795
Logan
Head Coach

LOL at Kobe over LeBron.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #796
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think he's more referring to the AAU mentality. Players as mercenaries who care only about themselves. Team accomplishments are only important if they boost someone's personal marketing appeal. This isn't a Heat championship, it's a Lebron championship. I don't think some of those players give two shits about the city or team.

That's not a knock on them, this is a business after all and there is a lot of money at stake. There is a reason why Tim Duncan and Tony Parker aren't in 20 commercials apiece and selling millions of shoes. They don't play that game. But I see the appeal as fans who want to root for players who talk about how "we" won a title instead of how "I" won a title.

Yeah, cheating on your movie star wife with your teammates wife totally makes you a better person and teammate than a guy who does commercials.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #797
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It is an argument people can have until they are blue in the face. The thing that cracks me up about Kobe, is while he is amazing, he never won shit without all stars around him either, yet people kill LeBron for the same thing.

I think I would put Duncan ahead of Kobe TBH, he was the best player on his team for every title and at 37 still plays at an amazing level.

Correct observation.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #798
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Way too many things to quote in here but quick answers...

Jordan did play when it was 5 games in the first round... which he had to play in twice.

Jordan didn't win without Pippen, Jackson didn't win without Jordan, Pippen, Shaq or Kobe... Magic had Kareem, Worthy. Heck even Duncan had Parker or Robinson. But James is an ass for having Wade?

James has played in 4 of the last 7 NBA finals at the age of 28 in a league with more talent in the league than Jordan ever saw. That's the ocmparsion you should make to Jordan. James has plenty of years to add to his totals. Jordan said two years ago it's all about rings (which must mean that Russell is twice the player he was).

James now has more NBA finals triple doubles than Jordan for those keeping count. Only trails Magic now.

Team basketball died last night? Who made this horrible statement? You do realize that the Heat had more assists 6 out of 7 games in this series? Is there another measurement for team basketball than pure hatred for James?

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 06-21-2013 at 09:14 AM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #799
Kodos
Resident Alien

Very disappointed for Duncan. He is a class act. Would have loved to see him get another title.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #800
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Very disappointed for Duncan. He is a class act, on the court. Would have loved to see him get another title.

fixed