Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #801
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Illini played some really good basketball this evening to win at Gonzaga. I know they hit 11 three pointers, but this wasn't a team solely living by the three like in some of their previous efforts. The Illini guards, especially Brandon Paul, really outclassed the Gonzaga guards - which was necessary since the Bulldogs' bigs were a ton better than what Illinois had to offer.

Bragging Rights game coming up soon, but first we get to take our shot at the team that bumped them from the NCAA tournament last season. Norfolk State, here we come!

Illinois looks damn good.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #802
Izulde
Head Coach

Well fuck. We squeak out the 76-75 road win over Cal, but Mike Moser dislocated his elbow 5 minutes in. Shit. That's *not* what we needed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #803
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Illini played some really good basketball this evening to win at Gonzaga. I know they hit 11 three pointers, but this wasn't a team solely living by the three like in some of their previous efforts. The Illini guards, especially Brandon Paul, really outclassed the Gonzaga guards - which was necessary since the Bulldogs' bigs were a ton better than what Illinois had to offer.

Bragging Rights game coming up soon, but first we get to take our shot at the team that bumped them from the NCAA tournament last season. Norfolk State, here we come!

Lots of excitement for the Braggin' Rights game this year. It's been sold out for a few weeks now. It's going to be all about the outside shooting of Illinois. They've got to hit a lot of shots because they're going to get killed on the boards on both ends. Mizzou gets Jabari Brown back next game as well. Should be interesting to see how he handles his first big college game against the Illini.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but this series was renewed pretty quietly. Good to see this series continue to get bigger. It's great for both schools.

FIGHTINGILLINI.COM - Bud Light Braggin' Rights Game Extended Through 2017
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #804
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
We somehow beat Texas, giving Howland a win that he doesn't need

Very surprised about the attendance too. 2,797 in a football stadium. Ouch.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #805
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Very surprised about the attendance too. 2,797 in a football stadium. Ouch.

Saw a long shot from behind the basket that showed much of the stands on the other side of the court. The whole upper level was empty and half of the lower level. Wow.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #806
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Why was it at Relient Stadium? Did they think it would sell more tickets then just having it where the Mav's play?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #807
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Why was it at Relient Stadium? Did they think it would sell more tickets then just having it where the Mav's play?

It's a good question. It wasn't smart either to have it on a Sunday while the NFL is still playing, especially since college football isn't playing right now. Stick it on a Saturday.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #808
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

(Rockets, but same difference)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #809
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a good question. It wasn't smart either to have it on a Sunday while the NFL is still playing, especially since college football isn't playing right now. Stick it on a Saturday.

It was on Saturday.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #810
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It was on Saturday.

God, even worse. No excuse then.

Edit: Some pics from the game within this link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...65--ncaab.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #811
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rumored that Mizzou is going to sign home and home series with Arizona and Syracuse for the next two seasons.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #812
tarcone
Coordinator

Hey, Kodos. I put feelers out to my family for Iowa/Indiana tickets. My nephew is dating a girl whose parents have season tickets. Knowing the family, they are probably great seats. My nephew told me that those were tickets that him and his GF were in line to get but they will be in Chicago.

WOOT. I may be in Iowa City New Years eve for Iowa/Indiana.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #813
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds cool. Would love to catch a game myself.

Just don't be mad if we beat you handily.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #814
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers coach Mike Rice was suspended 3 games and fined $50K by the school for violations of athletic department policy, surrounding inappropriate language and behavior. Basically, he's a nutjob. Tight leash on him at this point.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #815
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rutgers coach Mike Rice...fined $50K by the school

Rutgers is just trying to come up with their exit fee.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #816
hoopsguy
General Manager

Big time shot by Yogi F. to force OT in the Indiana/Butler game. Just got on to watch the last two minutes of this one, looks like I should have made a priority to get home earlier.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #817
britrock88
Pro Starter

I wish Butler had wrapped this up in regulation before the zebras got Indiana back in it. A great overtime thus far.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #818
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

CBS Update: "Last Shot: Unknown player made a Layup OT | Time: 2.0"

SI

Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #819
britrock88
Pro Starter

The guard who's shot 1/2 on the day goes iso with Butler's last possession... ballsy.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #820
hoopsguy
General Manager

Me too, especially with foul situation for Butler. But they are 2.5 seconds from pulling out a huge win.

Think it was about a year ago that Indiana was sinking #1 Kentucky on a Watford (?) three at the buzzer. Hopefully their turn to go down as the heavyweight, rather than win as plucky upstart.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #821
britrock88
Pro Starter

Sweet! Score one for the little guy.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #822
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Flipping back and forth between this and the Arizona-Nevada bowl game has been a pretty fun last few minutes

SI

Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #823
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Sweet! Score one for the little guy.

Do we really consider Butler a 'little guy'? They've been to two Final Fours in recent years and nearly won a national championship. Pretty sure they're past little guy status.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #824
britrock88
Pro Starter

Little in a relative way, anyway.

Consider this -- they were the listed home team for this game in Indianapolis, yet Indiana wore their home whites. That nefarious correlation between foul calls and favored teams shows that Indiana drew 27 fouls and shot 38 free throws against Butler's 18 fouls drawn and 16 free throws shot. Butler also just joined a conference wherein teams make about 1/3rd of a million dollars from putting their basketball on TV, whereas Indiana reels in 30? 40? million every year from the BTN and all the other entities that show their conference's games. Sure, Butler is prestigious, has success, and invests heavily in basketball, but they are still decidedly the little guy in a game like this.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #825
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Little in a relative way, anyway.

Consider this -- they were the listed home team for this game in Indianapolis, yet Indiana wore their home whites. That nefarious correlation between foul calls and favored teams shows that Indiana drew 27 fouls and shot 38 free throws against Butler's 18 fouls drawn and 16 free throws shot. Butler also just joined a conference wherein teams make about 1/3rd of a million dollars from putting their basketball on TV, whereas Indiana reels in 30? 40? million every year from the BTN and all the other entities that show their conference's games. Sure, Butler is prestigious, has success, and invests heavily in basketball, but they are still decidedly the little guy in a game like this.

I guess. There's plenty of teams that are proving the the competitive level in basketball is much better than football and that you don't have to be 'big' to be good. You really only need to find 2-3 really good players to get your program in position to do some damage. It's much different when you're trying to find 40-60 good scholarship players.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #826
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

It was a great game to watch from start to finish. It looked like Indiana was going to pull away in ot but then two killer threes in a row and rest is history.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #827
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa beats UNI today. Another good win. I didnt get to see it, as I was reffing basketball. I did see the end and Iowa made their FTs. Thats a good thing.
I think Butlers coach is the best coach in the nation.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #828
Kodos
Resident Alien

Crap. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday (Christmas shopping, date night), and then just had it spoiled on Yahoo. I wasn't expecting a score at the top of the page. Will still watch it, but suspense gone.

Brad Stevens is a heckuva coach.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #829
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Florida up by 6 with a minute to go and loses at Arizona. Ouch.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #830
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Yes he is. Butler is lucky to have a guy with his loyalty and skill. I'm not really surprised to see them beat Indiana, because with him coaching they always have a shot.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #831
cadmus2166
Mascot

Michigan poised to jump up to #2 after beating WVU. That WVU team may be the worst team I've ever seen coached by Bob Huggins, but still to go to WVU and win pretty convincingly must make Michigan feel ready to take on the Big Ten heavyweights when conference play starts in a couple weeks.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #832
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Crap. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday (Christmas shopping, date night), and then just had it spoiled on Yahoo. I wasn't expecting a score at the top of the page. Will still watch it, but suspense gone.

You'll find some things to like about how Indiana played. Butler just stepped up to the occasion, as they tend to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
Michigan poised to jump up to #2 after beating WVU. That WVU team may be the worst team I've ever seen coached by Bob Huggins, but still to go to WVU and win pretty convincingly must make Michigan feel ready to take on the Big Ten heavyweights when conference play starts in a couple weeks.

It was in Brooklyn, but the point stands.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #833
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Florida up by 6 with a minute to go and loses at Arizona. Ouch.
Well, U Arizona couldn't let the football team get all the glory.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #834
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
It was in Brooklyn, but the point stands.

Yes it was, brain fart.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #835
spleen1015
Coordinator

Saw this tweeted today.

Duke has spent more time as #1 than they have outside of the top 25 while being coached by Coach K.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #836
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does that include the "Back Injury"?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #837
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Does that include the "Back Injury"?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #838
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post

Yeah, Kilicli has regressed to the point where he's pretty much single handedly killing the offense and he's never been a good defender so I don't expect to see him playing much from here on out.

I expected a rough 1st month considering 3 transfers were in line to start or receive starters minutes and 2 freshman were expected to get heavy playing time. I didn't expect Kilicli to be so bad he doesn't deserve any minutes and Jabarie Hinds decide to take the Truck Bryant route to offensive inefficiency by jacking up several long 2s a game.

I didn't help that our best player stayed home for discipline reasons.

This team could be very dangerous in conference play if things start to gel and Huggins settles on a rotation. If not, next year is looking really good with a good recruiting class coming in and the key players from this team all coming back.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #839
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yeah, Kilicli has regressed to the point where he's pretty much single handedly killing the offense and he's never been a good defender so I don't expect to see him playing much from here on out.

I expected a rough 1st month considering 3 transfers were in line to start or receive starters minutes and 2 freshman were expected to get heavy playing time. I didn't expect Kilicli to be so bad he doesn't deserve any minutes and Jabarie Hinds decide to take the Truck Bryant route to offensive inefficiency by jacking up several long 2s a game.

I didn't help that our best player stayed home for discipline reasons.

This team could be very dangerous in conference play if things start to gel and Huggins settles on a rotation. If not, next year is looking really good with a good recruiting class coming in and the key players from this team all coming back.

Yeah, I would never completely count out a Bob Huggins team, but things are definitely gonna have to improve to have any sort of decent season.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #840
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fun to finally see Jabari Brown on the court. Despite missing a few shots outside, he looked good and integrated well into the offense. Certainly was nice to have another good ballhandler next to Pressey in the backcourt. Rebounded well too and the rest of the team seemed to play better with him on the floor.

Saturday matchup is set for the Braggin' Rights game. The matchup has reversed roles from last year. Last year, Mizzou had the gunners and the Illini had the rebounders. This year, it's just the opposite. It's going to be a fantastic game and I'm sure the Illini are wanting to end their losing streak in the series.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #841
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fun to finally see Jabari Brown on the court. Despite missing a few shots outside, he looked good and integrated well into the offense. Certainly was nice to have another good ballhandler next to Pressey in the backcourt. Rebounded well too and the rest of the team seemed to play better with him on the floor.

Saturday matchup is set for the Braggin' Rights game. The matchup has reversed roles from last year. Last year, Mizzou had the gunners and the Illini had the rebounders. This year, it's just the opposite. It's going to be a fantastic game and I'm sure the Illini are wanting to end their losing streak in the series.

I was just going to post... so, Illinois or Mizzou?

Should be a fantastic game!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #842
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
I'm sure the Illini are wanting to end their losing streak in the series.

Three games is a long losing streak for the Illini. Not quite the nine game streak where Illinois had the Tiggers under their thumb from 2000-2008, but long enough that I would very much like to see it end here.

Out of curiosity, what conference win means more to Missouri than beating Illinois? Probably Kentucky as national champs, but I'm guessing the move to the SEC makes this a little harder to answer than it would have been three years ago.

For me, I would take a Mizzou loss if it meant we beat Indiana. Probably a push on Ohio State and Michigan State, maybe Michigan this year because they are as good as they are. But year in and year out, Indiana would be the only in-conference team where I would go into the year and say "yep, OK to lose to Mizzou if we won @ Bloomington"
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #843
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Three games is a long losing streak for the Illini. Not quite the nine game streak where Illinois had the Tiggers under their thumb from 2000-2008, but long enough that I would very much like to see it end here.

Out of curiosity, what conference win means more to Missouri than beating Illinois? Probably Kentucky as national champs, but I'm guessing the move to the SEC makes this a little harder to answer than it would have been three years ago.

I'm not sure it was as much having the 'tiggers under their thumb' as it was the fact that our program sucked for most of those years.

Not much difference from three years ago. Just switch out Kansas as the top option for Kentucky. Either way, Braggin' Rights game would be the second most important game of the season IMO. Not much has changed at all.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #844
hoopsguy
General Manager

Interesting - the Indiana thing on our end isn't because they are always so good (just this year) but that I find them to be a particularly easy team to root against. Iowa and Northwestern just don't seem to be worth the animus, to give other B10 examples.

In terms of swapping out Kentucky for Kansas, I guess I find it hard to believe that the juices would run quite as hot for that game. Obviously a huge game against them in basketball, but there was a lot of history between the Missouri/Kansas rivalry that don't seem like it should be quite so portable.

Dare I ask - Texas didn't register in terms of equivalent (to Illini) rivalry in the B12?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #845
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

This State team is so wonderful, yet so frustrating to watch--all usually within a couple of minutes of game time. They won relatively handily against Stanford tonight and could have just blown the Cardinal off the floor if they really wanted to in the second half. They got up by about 20, let off the throttle, committed some stupid mistakes on several consecutive possessions, and allow Stanford to get it down to seven at one point before finally salting it away. I don't know what it's going to take to convince them that they can't just flip a switch on and off and expect to win against tougher opponents, but when it's on, it's just breathtaking to watch at times. Easily the best team State has fielded since at least 1985 or 1986, IMO.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #846
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh, I think Illinois fans suck donkey balls too. So the feeling is mutual. I just wish you still had THE CRIER coaching your team.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #847
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting - the Indiana thing on our end isn't because they are always so good (just this year) but that I find them to be a particularly easy team to root against. Iowa and Northwestern just don't seem to be worth the animus, to give other B10 examples.

In terms of swapping out Kentucky for Kansas, I guess I find it hard to believe that the juices would run quite as hot for that game. Obviously a huge game against them in basketball, but there was a lot of history between the Missouri/Kansas rivalry that don't seem like it should be quite so portable.

Dare I ask - Texas didn't register in terms of equivalent (to Illini) rivalry in the B12?

Kentucky is a national power much like Kansas and we figure to compete with them for the SEC championship along with Florida on a regular basis. Plus, I fully expect to see Mizzou playing Kansas in KC in the next five years.

Texas isn't even close to Illinois in regards to a heated matchup. Texas is annoying, but not a rival.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #848
MrBug708
Head Coach

Went to the UCLA game last night and we actually played pretty well. Of course it was just LBSU
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #849
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think it differs for Mizzou alumni on the two sides of the state. Kansas was obviously the #1 rival for everyone but I think the Illinois game menas a lot more to people on the St. Louis side than the KC side. Part of it could be that a lot of our offices have people who went to both schools, plus the game is in town. I would definitely rank this game above any SEC game. (At least right now) I think Mike Anderson makes the Arkansas game quite interesting and the Arkansas game was kind of fun back in the 90's though we seemed to lose that one quite often. Kentucky and Florida are obviously looked at as big games but I won't go as far as MBBF to say those games means anything to me right now as far as heated rivalries.

As far as Texas goes I would agree with MBBF but for different reasons. He likes to annoy Cartman for some reason and act like there is some sort of animosity between the two schools but I just look at it as a created opponent from the Big 12 that didn't have enough time to become a rivalry. (Same with Baylor, Tech, and A&M) I would rank KU first followed by OU, ISU, KSU and then the other Big 8 schools and then the Big 12 schools. Texas was always good and it was fun to beat them but it was more for beating a great program than beating a rival.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #850
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm just hoping the Longhorns can keep it within 20 tonight against North Carolina. The whole Kabongo situation being unresolved is killing this season.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote