Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #8751
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
It's like in football if you're down 17 and get a touchdown and two point conversion. You're still trailing by two scores even if you recover the onside.

Closer? Yes. Does it matter? No.

I said the 'tightening' race. I feel that was accurate.

I have no doubt that Obama supporters will be chewing their nails on election night despite their assuring posts that it's all over.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #8752
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So we're going to let the Iran thing drop?

I think you did a fine job of summarizing some of the information, some of which I wasn't aware of. Well done.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #8753
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I have no doubt that Obama supporters will be chewing their nails on election night despite their assuring posts that it's all over.

Just like Missouri fans were chewing their nails when Colorado came to town. Sure, you were a double-digit favorite, but you never know until the teams get out there and PLAY.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #8754
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Anyone want to guess what Obama's 30-minute commercial tonight will be?

I'm thinking Obama comes on and says:

"So, I bought this airtime tonight to save you from another 30 minutes of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. No, no need to thank me. Just remember to go out and vote next Tuesday. And instead of Buck & McCarver, we'll just run YouTube videos of McCain saying stupid things for 30 minutes."
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #8755
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I guess it's easier to make a one liner than discuss the actual topic. Fair enough. You should have just told me you weren't interested in actual discussion.

I told you, I don't know a damn thing about polling weights and all that. I guess you must, but I don't claim I do.

I guess I don't see the plausibility of a massive case of error on the part of all pollsters. It's not so much that they all have Obama leading, but it's by how much they have him leading electoral vote wise. I guess national trackers may indicate trends some states may follow but like somebody said earlier, I don't see enough state races improving for McCain for him to pull it off.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #8756
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I told you, I don't know a damn thing about polling weights and all that. I guess you must, but I don't claim I do.

No, I just have a problem with people that would rather lump people into one party or another without any middle ground. I have said that I'm voting McCain, but that doesn't mean I agree with much of the religions right or the gun toters. I'm not sure why you chose to go there. There are other alternatives.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #8757
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Anyone want to guess what Obama's 30-minute commercial tonight will be?

I'm thinking Obama comes on and says:

"So, I bought this airtime tonight to save you from another 30 minutes of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. No, no need to thank me. Just remember to go out and vote next Tuesday. And instead of Buck & McCarver, we'll just run YouTube videos of McCain saying stupid things for 30 minutes."

I'm guessing you haven't seen McCain's comment on that situation. He's evidently appealing to the baseball hardcores who don't want their World Series delayed. Someone should tell him that no one watches baseball anymore.

Quote:
"He's planned his first address to the nation -- an infomercial. By the way, I will never delay the start of the World Series for an infomercial."

Breitbart.tv » McCain Mocks Obama for Delaying World Series Game for ‘Infomercial’
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #8758
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
So a degree and/or job listing is now required to discuss polls in a FOFC political thread? That's rich.

FWIW, if you'd like a statistician/political outlook on it, there's yet another article about the possibility of the polls not being terribly accurate.

Accuracy Of Polls a Question In Itself

That is a good article, but it suggests that the inaccuracy of the polling may not be in McCain's favor.

The polls in which McCain is close presuppose 1 of 2 things:

1. Solid republican voters will turn out in high numbers
2. Survey weighting is set to 2004 election demographics

Both suppositions are certainly possible, but there are strong arguments against both from happening (mentioned earlier in the thread, possibly by me).

I'm not presumptuous enough to dismiss the possibilities 1 and/or 2 of happening. It is possible that the Obama youth vote may be over-estimated and/or the republican base is being under-estimated. But, in any case, it is very reasonable to say that the demographics in 2008 won't look like 2004 since the basic dynamics of the race (e.g, race with incumbency vs race with open seat, candidates on both sides that appeal to different demographics relative to the candidates in 2004, etc) are different.

To your point about "right" weighting vs "wrong" weighting of the polls. Sure, some will be right some will be wrong. But we won't know that until after the election (ironically, with the use of another poll). We can't make that judgment now.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #8759
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

I'm not an Obama supporter, but a bettor.

If you'd like to wager with me (for any stakes, friendly or financial) on the closeness of this election I would be happy to do so.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #8760
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
No, I just have a problem with people that would rather lump people into one party or another without any middle ground. I have said that I'm voting McCain, but that doesn't mean I agree with much of the religions right or the gun toters. I'm not sure why you chose to go there. There are other alternatives.

Don't take things so god damned personal. Like you said, it was a one liner. I guess I'm used to debating with my dad (a McCain supporter). We make the most ridiculous assertions about each other's views that we know aren't true. It's all light hearted. Sometimes a lot of you all in here could stand to lighten up a bit when talking politics.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #8761
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
That is a good article, but it suggests that the inaccuracy of the polling may not be in McCain's favor.

To your point about "right" weighting vs "wrong" weighting of the polls. Sure, some will be right some will be wrong. But we won't know that until after the election (ironically, with the use of another poll). We can't make that judgment now.

And I agree (though I didn't realize that I was required to post only articles that favor McCain ). It's something to discuss and I think there's merit to both arguments.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #8762
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I'm not an Obama supporter, but a bettor.

If you'd like to wager with me (for any stakes, friendly or financial) on the closeness of this election I would be happy to do so.

I'd have to get odds on that bet. As I've stated repeatedly over the last week, I do still believe that Obama holds a slim lead.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #8763
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
No, I asked "which states are now in play that make the electoral college look like a winner for McCain."

In 2004, Bush beat Kerry by 34 electoral votes.

Bush states that are with Obama now (all using RCP averages):
Florida, 27 votes, Obama +3.4
Nevada, 5 votes, Obama +7.5
Colorado, 9 votes, Obama +8.3
Ohio, 20 votes, Obama +5.8
Virginina, 13 votes, Obama +7.4
Iowa, 7 votes, Obama +11.4

Out of thsoe states, I'd toss Iowa, Nevada, and Colorado in Obama's bin at this point. All of the rest are still in play. I'd also add that even the Obama campaign privately believes Pennsylvania to be a 2-3 point race, so I'd include that in the list of states still in play.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #8764
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I'm guessing you haven't seen McCain's comment on that situation. He's evidently appealing to the baseball hardcores who don't want their World Series delayed. Someone should tell him that no one watches baseball anymore.

Breitbart.tv » McCain Mocks Obama for Delaying World Series Game for ‘Infomercial’

And McCain missed the memo from Fox that the game wasn't delayed, they just sold the airtime instead of showing a pregame show:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi..._baseball.html

Quote:
"Our first pitch for the world series is usually around 8:30 anyway – so we didn’t push back the game, it was really just about suspending the pre-game -- you know, Joe Buck," said the account executive, Joe Coppola. "That’s all we did."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #8765
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

I'd have to get odds on that bet. As I've stated repeatedly over the last week, I do still believe that Obama holds a slim lead.

Name your odds and terms sir.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #8766
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And McCain missed the memo from Fox that the game wasn't delayed, they just sold the airtime instead of showing a pregame show:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi..._baseball.html

Choose your poison: 30 minutes of Joe Buck or 30 minutes of Barack Obama

I honestly think I'd choose Obama. Buck is TERRIBLE.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #8767
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
1. They do not run the government. They exert a high amount of influence, but one could argue that the religious right or certain branches of the media do the same thing in America. That doesn't mean that foreign leaders talk to those people.

2. Iran is not 'growing worse' as a country. Their leader is making some stupid decisions that are pissing off the rest of the world and disenfranchising the poor people in Southern Iran for failing to deliver on campaign promises. As a result, his approval rating is brutal and he doesn't have much support in his own country. He won't win re-election.

Our best move is to stay out of the way in regards to leadership and let the Iranian people do the dirty work for us. Our only concern is the nuclear ambitions of their leader. To keep that in check, we have to speak directly to the Iranian president that is behind the nuclear initiative.

Let me back up a couple of steps here. Where is the assertion that Obama wants to talk to the Supreme Council? Here is what I can verify for certain:

Quote:
Iran
* The Problem: Iran has sought nuclear weapons, supports militias inside Iraq and terror across the region, and its leaders threaten Israel and deny the Holocaust. But Obama and Biden believe that we have not exhausted our non-military options in confronting this threat; in many ways, we have yet to try them. That's why Obama stood up to the Bush administration's warnings of war, just like he stood up to the war in Iraq.

* Opposed Bush-Cheney Saber Rattling: Obama and Biden opposed the Kyl-Lieberman amendment, which says we should use our military presence in Iraq to counter the threat from Iran. Obama and Biden believe that it was reckless for Congress to give George Bush any justification to extend the Iraq War or to attack Iran. Obama also introduced a resolution in the Senate declaring that no act of Congress – including Kyl-Lieberman – gives the Bush administration authorization to attack Iran.

* Diplomacy: Obama supports tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions. Now is the time to pressure Iran directly to change their troubling behavior. Obama and Biden would offer the Iranian regime a choice. If Iran abandons its nuclear program and support for terrorism, we will offer incentives like membership in the World Trade Organization, economic investments, and a move toward normal diplomatic relations. If Iran continues its troubling behavior, we will step up our economic pressure and political isolation. Seeking this kind of comprehensive settlement with Iran is our best way to make progress.

from: http://origin.barackobama.com/issues...n_policy/#iran

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

Last edited by lordscarlet : 10-29-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added source
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #8768
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
* Opposed Bush-Cheney Saber Rattling: Obama and Biden opposed the Kyl-Lieberman amendment, which says we should use our military presence in Iraq to counter the threat from Iran. Obama and Biden believe that it was reckless for Congress to give George Bush any justification to extend the Iraq War or to attack Iran. Obama also introduced a resolution in the Senate declaring that no act of Congress – including Kyl-Lieberman – gives the Bush administration authorization to attack Iran.

* Diplomacy: Obama supports tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions. Now is the time to pressure Iran directly to change their troubling behavior. Obama and Biden would offer the Iranian regime a choice. If Iran abandons its nuclear program and support for terrorism, we will offer incentives like membership in the World Trade Organization, economic investments, and a move toward normal diplomatic relations. If Iran continues its troubling behavior, we will step up our economic pressure and political isolation. Seeking this kind of comprehensive settlement with Iran is our best way to make progress.

I totally agree with the first bullet point. As for your question about the supreme council, the above doesn't even addres WHO they will talk with. Your point is valid that he is very general in this information. With that said, Obama's results won't be any different than Bush in the above scenario. I suppose he can argue that it's different in approach, but he's fooling himself if he thinks that will end in anything different (Iran is continuing its troubling behavior and the UN and Bush continue to isolate Iran along with sanctions). There won't be any progress.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-29-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #8769
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Out of thsoe states, I'd toss Iowa, Nevada, and Colorado in Obama's bin at this point. All of the rest are still in play. I'd also add that even the Obama campaign privately believes Pennsylvania to be a 2-3 point race, so I'd include that in the list of states still in play.

Iowa + Nevada + Colorado = 21 EVs, for a swing of 42 EVs, giving Obama the election unless McCain picks off a Kerry state.

Given the way election results are going to be reported, the first two litmus tests will probably be Virginia & Florida. If Obama takes Virginia, it'll look very dire for McCain. If Obama takes Florida, it's all over and we can all go to be early. If, in the midst of those two, Obama manages to take North Carolina, it's probably a safe assumption that he's got the race.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #8770
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
So, after 8,800 posts did anyone cause anyone to change their vote yet?

Yes. I have gone from "Bipartisanship has no chance of working in our political system" to "Bipartisanship has no fucking chance of working because both sides will fight each other over the color of the sky even though the true differences between them is the true difference between baby blue and sky blue"

As long as the losers in this election don't give me some crap about "looking forward to working with" the winners, I will be happy. In fact, the first Dem who says "I intend to stick it to Republicans" or the first Republican who says "Fuck the Dems. agenda" will have the lead for my vote in the next election.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #8771
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Iowa + Nevada + Colorado = 21 EVs, for a swing of 42 EVs, giving Obama the election unless McCain picks off a Kerry state.

Given the way election results are going to be reported, the first two litmus tests will probably be Virginia & Florida. If Obama takes Virginia, it'll look very dire for McCain. If Obama takes Florida, it's all over and we can all go to be early. If, in the midst of those two, Obama manages to take North Carolina, it's probably a safe assumption that he's got the race.

I really hope that the drama drags on a bit through Nevada. I've somewhat enjoyed the late night watching of the last two elections. It's like a Super Bowl. I'm guessing the major news channels are hoping for the same as they'll lose viewers pretty quickly if it is over early.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #8772
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I really hope that the drama drags on a bit through Nevada. I've somewhat enjoyed the late night watching of the last two elections. It's like a Super Bowl. I'm guessing the major news channels are hoping for the same as they'll lose viewers pretty quickly if it is over early.

"Will the Democrats get 60 Senate seats?" might be what the networks have to turn to. I wonder what time polls close in Alaska, though that race might not be close now that Stevens has been found guilty.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #8773
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I totally agree with the first bullet point. As for your question about the supreme council, the above doesn't even addres WHO they will talk with. Your point is valid that he is very general in this information. With that said, Obama's results won't be any different than Bush in the above scenario. I suppose he can argue that it's different in approach, but he's fooling himself if he thinks that will end in anything different (Iran is continuing its troubling behavior and the UN and Bush continue to isolate Iran along with sanctions). There won't be any progress.

And I'm not the one claiming he's going to talk to the Supreme Council, that was you. I was hoping you would back it up with some sort of reference.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #8774
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Given the demographics it's very unlikely that NV will be a difference maker. If Obama wins there he's likely won in NM and CO which likely gives him the election. Personally I think it'll be a early night. If PA goes to Obama it's very difficult to craft a scenario where McCain wins.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #8775
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If PA goes to Obama it's very difficult to craft a scenario where McCain wins.

I'd agree with that. As the Obama campaign has said, it's a close race in PA right now and it's very important that they win it. The avenues for a possible win open up for McCain if he can win there.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #8776
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bill O'Reilly has a map MBBF might approve of:

Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #8777
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
And I'm not the one claiming he's going to talk to the Supreme Council, that was you. I was hoping you would back it up with some sort of reference.

I made that assumption based on the fact that he said he wanted to go directly to the top. After your post from Obama's website, it's quite clear that even he hasn't laid out exactly who he'll be talking to, which is concerning in its own right.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #8778
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Bill O'Reilly has a map MBBF might approve of:

And as I stated yesterday, I'm not sure why I'd approve of a map that's not based in reality. I believe that map is just as unreliable as some of the polls giving Obama a 7+ point lead in the national election numbers. But I guess it's easier to paint me as being an extremist than to actually discuss the topic at hand.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #8779
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You keep hanging your hat on this "internal memo" from a relatively low-level Obama staffer from over a week ago.

I would argue its just as likely an idea that this was meant to motivate the staffers and ensure they don't get complacent than it revealed that the Obama camp secretly believes PA is 10 pts closer than most of the polling.

The polling numbers would show it to be a bad move. His numbers have steadily declined since that information was released. Confidence is always a better motivator than fear in an election. It was a misstep if they thought otherwise.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #8780
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
The polling numbers would show it to be a bad move. His numbers have steadily declined since that information was released. Confidence is always a better motivator than fear in an election. It was a misstep if they thought otherwise.

Show me the Pennsylvania polling showing his numbers declining since that leak came out 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #8781
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com commented today (or yesterday) that the stats show that the "tightening" of the race is mostly the result of previously uncommitted Republicans finally committing to McCain.

He also notes that while this trend is showing up in overall national polling, it hasn't cut into Obama's lead in the battleground states, and thus hasn't changed the overall EV picture.

maybe this has been discussed to death while i was at lunch, but to me, the national tracking polls are largely worthless. it's the state-polling that matters, and McCain hasn't meaningfully closed the gap (in anything more than a "statistical noise" sense) in multiple battleground states.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #8782
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Show me the Pennsylvania polling showing his numbers declining since that leak came out 2 weeks ago.

I was speaking of the national polling, which has trended to McCain as is evident by the RCP numbers.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #8783
Butter
Coordinator

Anybody like to discuss Palin as the face of the GOP going forward (if McCain loses)? Is this even viable, or is it a pipe dream perpetuated by Palin's people?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #8784
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I made that assumption based on the fact that he said he wanted to go directly to the top. After your post from Obama's website, it's quite clear that even he hasn't laid out exactly who he'll be talking to, which is concerning in its own right.

Wow. So, on one hand you claim the Supreme Council does not run the country, but on the other you interpret "straight to the top" to mean the Supreme Council. You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #8785
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

linky?

2-3pts? Really? Even though all the state polls have it at high single-digits? (down from low double-digits admittedly)

i'd like to see where you got that info
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #8786
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I was speaking of the national polling, which has trended to McCain as is evident by the RCP numbers.

I would argue that, again, the national polling is irrelevant at this point and tightening of it to be expected during the final week of any election. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with any perceived tightening of the race in PA, because according to all released state polls up to now, that race has been static and for Obama for weeks. You would think that the PA poll would have some kind of effect in, of all places, PA, and not nationwide.

Last edited by Butter : 10-29-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #8787
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Anybody like to discuss Palin as the face of the GOP going forward (if McCain loses)? Is this even viable, or is it a pipe dream perpetuated by Palin's people?

Add Biden to that mix. The choice is largely Dumb and Dumber if you're choosing between Palin and Biden.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #8788
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But the two most respectable national trackers aren't really showing a tightening either. Rasmussen and Gallup have shown both guys very stable for nearly a month.

Rasmussen in October
McCain 44-47
Obama 50-52

Gallup Traditional since October 8
McCain 44-47
Obama 49-51

Gallup Expanded since October 8
McCain 43-45
Obama 50-53

All of the variance has been within the margin of error.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #8789
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

pipe dream. they've been smoking too much ganja.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #8790
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Add Biden to that mix. The choice is largely Dumb and Dumber if you're choosing between Palin and Biden.

I don't think there have been any national news articles arguing that if Obama loses, Joe Biden will become the face of the Democratic party. So I don't think that's pertinent.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #8791
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They'll be too busy fending off attacks from the McCain people and Republican columnists for a bit before thinking about being the face of the party. We'll see what happens when the Civil War is concluded and which side wins.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #8792
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

a) i don't think anybody's talking about Biden as the future of the democratic party

b) for you to even insinuate that Biden is as intellectually-stunted and ill-informed as Palin is just sheer lunacy. Really I could pull out numerous examples to counter this, but it's a waste of time, because if you honestly believe that then no amount of examples will convince you, your head is buried in the sand. The guy has been a senior Senator for years, has authored landmark legislation and bills, and has been a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Comparing his intellect to Palin's intellect is like saying a tricycle could beat a Ferrari in a drag-race.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #8793
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was very interested to read on RedState the following quote after a Palin article.

RedState: "Sarah Palin's a Brainiac"

This, along with a couple of other small stories and quotes I have read here and there seem to portend a coming battle for the soul of the Republican Party. And if Palin's side wins out, that means it's time to switch my party affiliation for the forseeable future.

Wow - I hope not. Talk about giving yourself over to the lunatic-fringe.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #8794
Kodos
Resident Alien

Palin becoming the face of the Republicans would be awesome. There is no way in hell she could ever win the Presidency.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #8795
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

One other thing regarding the weights being used in the Pennsylvania polls. Arguably, the Democrats had their best turnouts in recent memory in 2006 when they did extremely well. In that election, 43% of the voters were Democrats and 38% were Republicans, giving them a 5% advantage. In the 2004 election, the Democrats held a 2 point advantage. The current polls showing 11-13 point leads for Obama are giving the Democrats anywhere from a 12-19 point advantage in voting turnout. Is it any wonder why the polls show one thing while the Obama camp quitely says it's a close race? There's some serious issues with the polling in that state. Those weights wouldn't even pass a 'six sigma' test given past voter turnout results in Pennsylvania.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #8796
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
One other thing regarding the weights being used in the Pennsylvania polls. Arguably, the Democrats had their best turnouts in recent memory in 2006 when they did extremely well. In that election, 43% of the voters were Democrats and 38% were Republicans, giving them a 5% advantage. In the 2004 election, the Democrats held a 2 point advantage. The current polls showing 11-13 point leads for Obama are giving the Democrats anywhere from a 12-19 point advantage in voting turnout. Is it any wonder why the polls show one thing while the Obama camp quitely says it's a close race? There's some serious issues with the polling in that state. Those weights wouldn't even pass a 'six sigma' test given past voter turnout results in Pennsylvania.

We cant help that we are rednecks who don't know how and where to vote properly!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #8797
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
We cant help that we are rednecks who don't know how and where to vote properly!

Racists. You forgot racists.

Doc, will you be on the ground at your local PA polling site giving live reports to FOFC?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #8798
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Palin becoming the face of the Republicans would be awesome. There is no way in hell she could ever win the Presidency.

Being the "face of your party" doesn't mean she's going to be the Presidential nominee. I mean Ted Kennedy was the face of the Democratic Party for a long while, but aside from 1980 never got close to the Democratic nomination.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #8799
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Being the "face of your party" doesn't mean she's going to be the Presidential nominee. I mean Ted Kennedy was the face of the Democratic Party for a long while, but aside from 1980 never got close to the Democratic nomination.

Agreed. I see her playing a role in future elections regardless of this election's results much the same as Rudy Giuliani. She'll be more of a rah-rah type to keep the religious right fired up when elections come around. She obviously has the charisma and appeal to pull votes. McCain would be getting hammered right now without her.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #8800
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The more interesting fight IMO is between her and Huckabee given that they have the same power base.