Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #851
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not arguing that Jeff Fisher deserves an NFL coaching job. I'm just arguing that he's the most likely next coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. LOL
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #852
QuikSand
lolzcat

Right, apples and oranges. That would be awesome, though.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #853
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've been trying really hard to stay cool about Jimmy Garoppolo as a 49ers fan, but it keeps getting harder and harder.

Jimmy Garoppolo mic'ed up for the two-minute drill.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #854
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I've been trying really hard to stay cool about Jimmy Garoppolo as a 49ers fan, but it keeps getting harder and harder.

If you showed me that and only that, I would pay that man like a top 5 QB for as long as he could handle.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #855
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

He’s the real deal, you can just tell.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #856
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He's learned well, too bad the timing didn't work out, and hopefully our next young backup QB has the same intangibles & we don't get seduced by a big arm like Ryan Mallett again. PS I wonder if Sashi Brown thinks he's worth trading for yet.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-21-2017 at 07:51 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #857
cuervo72
Head Coach

So...why'd the Patriots trade him then?

(Listening to DC radio today someone mentioned that Cousins might not just go to a team which has cap and can pay him, that he might look for a better competitive situation. Would be something if he somehow landed in New England. I do wonder how long they really expect Brady to play.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-21-2017 at 08:18 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #858
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Jimmy Garoppolo Trade: Why Now, and Why the Niners?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #859
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

(Listening to DC radio today someone mentioned that Cousins might not just go to a team which has cap and can pay him, that he might look for a better competitive situation. Would be something if he somehow landed in New England. I do wonder how long they really expect Brady to play.)

This has been known and discussed for months. Cousins will be somewhere like Denver, Arizona, or Jacksonville.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #860
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Because he wanted to be paid like the real starting QB he is looking like, and we were unwilling to indefinitely tie up that much of our cap in a backup QB. He's also 26 and I think he wanted to actually be a starting QB before he turns 30. If Brady had shown any of the slippage a 38+ QB should be showing it would have been a very tough decision, if Brady had shown the dropoff Peyton Manning showed it would've been an easy transition, but as it is the timing and the NFL's salary structure just made it impossible to keep both.

I still wish we had gotten a little more (maybe an additional 3rd, or a 1st at last year's draft), but bad organizations like Cleveland are bad for a reason.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #861
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Brady has rubbed off on Jimmy G it would appear. And Id agree with many of the above comments. He does appear to be legit.

Plus, you gotta love the confidence of a player that would turn down starter money as a backup to get his chance to be the starting QB. The Aaron Rodgers kind of confidence.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #862
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Because he wanted to be paid like the real starting QB he is looking like, and we were unwilling to indefinitely tie up that much of our cap in a backup QB. He's also 26 and I think he wanted to actually be a starting QB before he turns 30. If Brady had shown any of the slippage a 38+ QB should be showing it would have been a very tough decision, if Brady had shown the dropoff Peyton Manning showed it would've been an easy transition, but as it is the timing and the NFL's salary structure just made it impossible to keep both.

I still wish we had gotten a little more (maybe an additional 3rd, or a 1st at last year's draft), but bad organizations like Cleveland are bad for a reason.

I agree with this logic, but still think there is another shoe to drop because of the timing. Everyone knew the foregoing last off-season but all reports suggest Garoppolo was off-limits then, and then they traded Brisett in September. I don’t think you trade Jacoby if you also knew you were going to move Jimmy at the deadline.

While I understand the theory that the Patriots wanted to make sure Brady had shown no slippage, that makes little sense because, if there were slippage, you would see it at the end of the season when muscles are tired and the weather is colder (a la Peyton Manning).

Ultimately, I sense BB wanted to move on from Brady but something stopped him and he decided to get something for Jimmy. It could have been Kraft, it could have been bad memories of releasing Kosar from Cleveland, who knows?

I do have a crazy, off-the-wall theory, especially if issues are developing with Kraft. What if the Giants GM opening interests B.B.? I think he has a fondness for that franchise, and that is probably one of the few places I could see him leaving the Patriots for. Stranger things have happened, but that would explain him not having as much of a long-term concern for the Pats after this season.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #863
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One theory I heard is that BB liked Garoppolo personally and was willing to take slightly less from the 49ers to send him out of conference to a team with a chance for him to thrive.

Basically, it was worth not maximizing his value to send him to play for Kyle Shanahan for a 2nd instead of to die in Cleveland for a 2nd and a 4th.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #864
molson
General Manager

It's disappointing there wasn't more of a bidding more for him considering the QB situation on many teams, but, good for the 49ers for getting it done. I wonder how many teams would give up a 1st-round pick for him now, just a few months later.

I also read the reports that the Patriots weren't going to trade him to the Browns, as a favor to him, but there's still a bunch of other teams that should have been interested.

Last edited by molson : 12-22-2017 at 10:25 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #865
Suicane75
Coordinator

LOL, that's great. We like you too much to send you to that shit show. I can't imagine being a Browns fan. It must be like being A Sixers fan for the past few years, but only 4 times as long.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #866
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's disappointing there wasn't more of a bidding more for him considering the QB situation on many teams, but, good for the 49ers for getting it done. I wonder how many teams would give up a 1st-round pick for him now, just a few months later.

My guess is they'd get a 1 and a 3 at minimum.

Big difference between 6 quarters of fill-in play and even only 3 games of full starter action.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #867
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My guess is they'd get a 1 and a 3 at minimum.

Big difference between 6 quarters of fill-in play and even only 3 games of full starter action.

If the 49ers now flipped him they'd get at least two 1st round picks. They wouldnt of course, which shows his increased value.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #868
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Read someone suggesting the 49ers do just that, flip him for 2 firsts and then sign Cousins.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #869
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It won't happen, but JG for both the Browns picks would give the Niners three top ten picks.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #870
Galaril
Pro Starter

I heard a few talking heads say they heard that BB did want to trade Brady (not sure when before 2016 season?) and Kraft told BB Brady is off the table from even being considered for trades . So BB is slowly trading these guys Jimmy G and Brisett for way less than they should be getting with his I d now set to leave the Patriots very soon. That is an interest rumor. I am not where he would go Giants is an option it sounds like.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #871
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Fisher says he left Los Angeles Rams 'in pretty good shape'

Jeff Fisher has the best PR. It would be like GWB saying he made Iraq a better place, something to that effect.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #872
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Got to an interesting argument with a friend of mine (which got waaaaay out of hand, due to my friend's overreaction) regarding the Falcons and Saints game on Sunday. He referred to it as the most bitter and hated rivalry in professional sports, which I pushed back on big time (not even the most bitter and hated in the NFL!). He started name calling and being bitterly sarcastic towards me (I am weighing him being an ex-friend).

So the result being I am totally ok with the Saints winning on Sunday .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #873
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Got to an interesting argument with a friend of mine (which got waaaaay out of hand, due to my friend's overreaction) regarding the Falcons and Saints game on Sunday. He referred to it as the most bitter and hated rivalry in professional sports, which I pushed back on big time (not even the most bitter and hated in the NFL!). He started name calling and being bitterly sarcastic towards me (I am weighing him being an ex-friend).

I will say it is an underrated rivalry.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #874
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's like not even a top 10 NFL rivalry
Old 12-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #875
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Underrated, definitely. But it isn't nearly as angry and bitter and mean than, say, Bears and Packers. I mean he compared it in hatred to Alabama and Auburn, to which I really thought was ridiculous. This is what happens when you stay in your Twitter bubble (he's aggressive to the Saints, so attracts Saints fans who are aggressive to the Falcons and he thinks that's the whole fanbase)

Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #876
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

The Raiders would have to have at least 4 of the top 10 right?
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #877
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The Raiders would have to have at least 4 of the top 10 right?
Probably several at least. Falcons Saints doesn't even move the needle in a generic sports bar and gets bumped off the screen for about 4-5 other games in any given week
Old 12-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #878
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Depends upon age & perspective.

The hatred between the fanbases is pretty intense, and it IS (logically due to the geography) more like a college rivalry in that sense.

They're also the only team I've ever seen Falcons fans genuinely hate as opposed to merely dislike. (San Fran had the milder version back in the days of the old alignment, Dallas got that too ... though they got it from everybody)
Old 12-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #879
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What I don't remember clearly, however, is whether the rivalry was as intense prior to the most memorable positive play in Falcons history: Big Ben Right

Falcons’ greatest moment, No. 3: ‘Big Ben Right’ | Atlanta Falcons blog: Atlanta football news
Old 12-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #880
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

On 980 in DC they were discussing the Cowboys/Redskins rivalry recently, and called it the same, at least for the 70s through 90s - the biggest rivalry in all of sports, and pointed to how it is still played in prime-time at least once a year.

Some Redskins rooters can be a little self-important.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #881
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I don’t know about the teams, but ever since Katrina, my friends who are Falcon fans absolutely detest Saints fans in a way that trumps any dislike i have ever had for Jets (early) and Patriots (more recent) fans.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #882
Atocep
Coordinator

Frank Gore is 5th all time in rushing yards, 8th in yards from scrimmage, and 26th all time in TDs while remaining fairly productive into his 30s. Has to be one of the most underrated RBs in NFL history.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #883
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Love that guy.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #884
molson
General Manager

Quote:
). He started name calling and being bitterly sarcastic towards me

That sounds pleasant....

I'm sure there's people regionally who are really into it, but I wasn't even aware it was a rivalry. I don't think it would crack the top 30 if we're counting all professional sports.

Last edited by molson : 12-23-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #885
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The NFC south has, what, 2 super bowls combined?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #886
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola realistically it's the most irrelevant division of any of the three major sports
Old 12-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #887
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The NFC south has, what, 2 super bowls combined?

NFC East has the most Super Bowl appearances by division; AFC East needs one more to tie. : nfl
Old 12-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #888
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola realistically it's the most irrelevant division of any of the three major sports

AFC South. Three of the four teams didn't even exist as currently named 25 years ago.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #889
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That sounds pleasant....

Yep. When someone who you thought was a really good friend starts calling you asshole and dumbass about not thinking a rivalry is more intense than it is... it was just completely out of left field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don’t know about the teams, but ever since Katrina, my friends who are Falcon fans absolutely detest Saints fans in a way that trumps any dislike i have ever had for Jets (early) and Patriots (more recent) fans.

Remember what has happened after Katrina. The Saints won the Super Bowl. The Falcons have yet to (last season didn't help this dynamic at all). I think a lot of this (and I say it as a Falcons fan) is Falcons fan jealousy & Saints fan boasting about that disparity.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-23-2017 at 11:48 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #890
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think a lot of this (and I say it as a Falcons fan) is Falcons fan jealousy & Saints fan boasting about that disparity.

The roots were the inferiority complex carried by New Orleans about being several tiers behind Atlanta as a city. It always meant more to them because it was one of the few ways they could compete from time to time.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:53 PM   #891
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps, but the Saints fans I know are generally far more chill about this rivalry than the Falcons fans I know (including the guy who flew off the handle at me which started this whole discussion).

Maybe the SB win chilled those folks out, I dunno.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-23-2017 at 11:54 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #892
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Old 12-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #893
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Considering how much the Packers fans were whining about the Martellus Bennett situation this is amusing Teams complain to NFL that Green Bay Packers violated IR rule, think Aaron Rodgers should be released

Saints/Falcons as the top rivalry in all of sports is a laughably absurd statement. I do agree it's underrated, and should crack the top 10 in the NFL. (Even as a Patriots fan, since Sexy Rexy left the Jets our biggest rivalries would be some order of Ravens, Steelers & Broncos, but it's hard to sustain momentum year in and year out if you don't play in the same division. The Colts were a huge one when Manning was there, but nobody would even look twice at that game if scanning the schedule.) I think Steelers/Ravens takes the crown right now for pure animosity, with Bengals/Steelers in that mix too. The NFC East teams and rivalries have always felt more hyped to me than they deserved, but there's no denying those fanbases loathe each other as well. The Oakland/Denver/KC trio also seem to have some real hate there. Packers/Bears obviously has the geography and history in its favor, but the Bears have been so bad for so long I don't think of it that way - Packers/Vikings actually struck me as a bigger rivalry until I thought about it. But I also don't know if I'd put any NFL rivalry in the top 10 for pro sports - it's just hard when you play at most 3x in a year & team strength fluctuates so frequently for most teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I agree with this logic, but still think there is another shoe to drop because of the timing. Everyone knew the foregoing last off-season but all reports suggest Garoppolo was off-limits then, and then they traded Brisett in September. I don’t think you trade Jacoby if you also knew you were going to move Jimmy at the deadline.

While I understand the theory that the Patriots wanted to make sure Brady had shown no slippage, that makes little sense because, if there were slippage, you would see it at the end of the season when muscles are tired and the weather is colder (a la Peyton Manning).
It also protected against a season-ending injury (or I guess suspension) to Brady in those first 6 weeks.
Quote:
Ultimately, I sense BB wanted to move on from Brady but something stopped him and he decided to get something for Jimmy. It could have been Kraft, it could have been bad memories of releasing Kosar from Cleveland, who knows?

I do have a crazy, off-the-wall theory, especially if issues are developing with Kraft. What if the Giants GM opening interests B.B.? I think he has a fondness for that franchise, and that is probably one of the few places I could see him leaving the Patriots for. Stranger things have happened, but that would explain him not having as much of a long-term concern for the Pats after this season.
I don't buy it, but even if BB did want to trade Brady and Kraft stopped him it wasn't something that suddenly changed between the offseason and the trading deadline. GM Belichick is just subordinate to Coach Belichick, and Coach Belichick wanted to hang on to a good backup QB as long as he could.

The conspiracy theories that Belichick is planning to leave, or there's a huge rift between him & Kraft or Brady are laughable. First of all like any good football lifer he'd never think that far ahead in the middle of a season, but if he was planning this huge coup wouldn't he have held onto Garoppollo so he'd be available as a free agent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
One theory I heard is that BB liked Garoppolo personally and was willing to take slightly less from the 49ers to send him out of conference to a team with a chance for him to thrive.

Basically, it was worth not maximizing his value to send him to play for Kyle Shanahan for a 2nd instead of to die in Cleveland for a 2nd and a 4th.
Quote:

I also read the reports that the Patriots weren't going to trade him to the Browns, as a favor to him, but there's still a bunch of other teams that should have been interested.
Its also rumored that Belichick still holds a grudge vs Cleveland for firing him, though trading Jamie Collins to them last year amongst other deals undermines that theory. I do buy that once the Patriots decide to trade a player they basically take the first good deal and don't shop the player around, and the rumors that Sashi Brown and his staff were at home with their phones off when the Patriots were negotiating with the 49ers seem pretty well confirmed, and likely played a large part in the timing of his firing.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-24-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #894
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The Colts were a huge one when Manning was there, but nobody would even look twice at that game if scanning the schedule.

As a Colts fan, I could never figure out the intensity of the rivalry with the Patriots early in Manning's career. I mean, you can't really call it a rivalry when they come into your house and beat your ass 90% of the time. I need a good rivalry to be less lopsided.

(Yes, this changed as Manning matured, especially toward the end of his career, but the early parts of the rivalry were more like battered spouse syndrome than a true rivalry.)

ETA: Which isn't to say that we didn't hate the shit out of the Patriots, but I don't consider team hatred to be the same thing as a rivalry.

Last edited by Drake : 12-24-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #895
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I wish the 49ers hadn't fallen off a cliff in terms of talent for several reasons, but that Seahawks/49ers rivalry in the early part of the decade was pretty awesome and now it's pretty much invisible.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #896
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The only pro rivalry that might be in the top twenty is Yankees/Red Sox. Every other pro rivalry only matters when both teams are having good seasons. There are a ton of great collegiate rivalries that matter even if both teams stink.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #897
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm beginning to think that the Cleveland Browns are not a good team.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #898
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That was one hell of a catch by Gronk
Old 12-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #899
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The only pro rivalry that might be in the top twenty is Yankees/Red Sox. Every other pro rivalry only matters when both teams are having good seasons. There are a ton of great collegiate rivalries that matter even if both teams stink.

They might matter to the participants, but do they register outside of that? Like the traditional SEC rivalries. I couldn't even tell you what most of them are outside of Bama/Auburn or Bama/LSU -- and certainly the last one because of the stretch where they were both in the top 5/10.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #900
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I mean, you can't really call it a rivalry when they come into your house and beat your ass 90% of the time.

People said about Yankees/Red Sox too but I think that kind of thing can actually make a rivalry more compelling. Because the fans on the losing side can want to get over that hump SO badly compared to it was just a back and forth thing.