Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #851
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
For the Mizzou fans. Pretty funny video of the Mizzou staff when the DGB announcement was made. They felt good about it, but you never know until the announcement. Reaction at 1:00 mark.

University of Missouri Official Athletic Site

The young woman doing that interview is extremely HOT.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #852
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
OSU is not taking Davonte Neal. On the ESNPU NSD show Urban said Neal was part of the class and then totally went white as a ghost knowing he fucked up since Neal didn't have an LOI in. I wouldn't be shocked if OSU compliance said no deal to the potential of tampering with them on probation.

This appears to be part of the issue with Josh Clemons. Richt talked about him without having the LOI and now faces a secondary violation. I guess that's in addition to grandpa not signing off on the LOI.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #853
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Eh, they're comfortably the hardest program to get into (at least, top 100 program I guess - Harvard may be comparable?). From the kids I know who go there (to Stanford, not the team), they are treated like regular admissions kids. I'm sure football helps, but its not an SEC football factory or something where the education is a side note.
They are using tougher standards than most schools (and probably all FBS schools, but it's more debatable than it used to be), but they are not as tough as they used to be - they're taking kids they wouldn't have 5+ years ago.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #854
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Poor Brandon Beaver. He has his press conference on Fox Sports sometime between 3-5 pm but Sark tweets that he has the LOI. What a guy
Poor Brandon Beaver who gave Sark the OK to do so. But hey - don't let me stop you from your UCLA obligation to hate anything that's ever been associated with Pete Carroll.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #855
bhlloy
Coordinator

Also SC had Agholor's LOI when Kiffin mentioned his name in the interview with Shelly Smith, so no violation there. You are slipping Bug.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #856
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Poor Brandon Beaver who gave Sark the OK to do so. But hey - don't let me stop you from your UCLA obligation to hate anything that's ever been associated with Pete Carroll.

haha...wtf? I'm a Brandon Beaver fan more than I'm a Sark "hater", afterall he was a UCLA silent back in the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Also SC had Agholor's LOI when Kiffin mentioned his name in the interview with Shelly Smith, so no violation there. You are slipping Bug.

According to the USC site, Nelson sent his fax in at 9am. Kiffin sent the text at 530am to Shelley Smith so what am I missing?

Quote:
Speaking on ESPNU on Wednesday morning, Smith (below) told viewers about a text message that she received from USC’s coach more than three hours earlier.

“I got a text from Lane Kiffin at 5:15 this morning telling me to wake up, it was a big day and then I got a second text saying, ‘We need to get Nelson,’” Smith said live on ESPNU.

“Now, I’m not sure what last name because he didn’t tell me that, there are a lot of Nelson’s out there, but I’m going to guess that it’s Nelson Agholor, a very highly talented athlete out of Tampa, Florida. He is expected to sign either with Florida or with USC in the next 45 minutes.”

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-02-2012 at 12:56 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #857
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
haha...wtf? I'm a Brandon Beaver fan more than I'm a Sark "hater", afterall he was a UCLA silent back in the summer
Just wanted to correct any misconception that Sark did Beaver wrong by announcing his LOI before Beaver's "official" TV announcement.

Beaver has been a silent commit to the UW since this summer by the way...
Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #858
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV's class is whatever by the rankings. Hauck's concentrating on building local ties and keeping kids in Las Vegas. Of course, I don't know if this city has the football talent for that to even be worthwhile.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #859
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Not a good day for LSU since they ended up missing out on the top 3 instate prospects. I know Wisconsin is about getting home grown talent from where ever and coaching them up, but they aren't listed in the top 50 for Rivals. Looks like they got 12 scholarships and 7 walk ons. Did Wisconsin really have that few of seniors last year? State added three from last I knew to move up to 18 commitments and still around #40 in the nation. I know they are young, but that comes across a little underwhelming as well.

Wisconsin got hurt badly by Chryst leaving for Pitt. Denman and Dodson were two of their top verbals at the time he left.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #860
Ksyrup

FauxPelini is awesome.

Fake Bo Pelini @FauxPelini
Remind me not to jog against traffic. RT @SharpeGreg: Coach Bo involved in car accident on way to omaha. Coach is fine, car is not.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #861
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wisconsin got hurt badly by Chryst leaving for Pitt. Denman and Dodson were two of their top verbals at the time he left.

I don't think I would have committed to Wisconsin based on a QB who it's still unknown just how good he is and would only be there for part of the time I would be at Wisconsin. USC with heavy sanctions got 15. Two other teams in the top 50 got 16. To be the 2 time conference champ from one of the major conferences and pull in 12 is a huge misstep on the coaching staff. Even if you factor in the changing of some Wisconsin's coaching staff, PSU with it's epic free fall still pulled in a better class.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #862
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just happy that IU's class isn't the worst-rated one in the Big Ten.

Baby steps...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #863
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The young woman doing that interview is extremely HOT.

She is Katt Lucchesi. Have met her on a couple of occasions while in Columbia. She runs Missouri Tigers Football - Mizzou.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #864
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
She is Katt Lucchesi. Have met her on a couple of occasions while in Columbia. She runs Missouri Tigers Football - Mizzou.

That is, without question, the most obnoxious website in history
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #865
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
That is, without question, the most obnoxious website in history

There is a saying that goes something like "Birds of a feather".......................
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #866
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers may have some issues for the 2013 class and beyond. Schiano is taking pretty much every assistant of consequence with him to Tampa, including top Northeast recruiter Jeff Hafley.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #867
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
UNLV's class is whatever by the rankings. Hauck's concentrating on building local ties and keeping kids in Las Vegas. Of course, I don't know if this city has the football talent for that to even be worthwhile.

Hell, if he can just get the top Bishop Gorman kids every year he will be doing well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #868
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Losing 6 coaches probably hurt with late additions, they were at least able to hold onto Bart Houston who could end up starting for them at QB next year.

Looking at the numbers for their instate talent though, last year Wisconsin offered 10 kids from Wisconsin and signed 9 of them, this year they offered 4 and signed 3. Based on rivals rankings last year the state of Wisconsin had 2 rated 4* and 10 3*, this year is was 2 4* and one 3*.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #869
Ksyrup

Jesus, WTF has gotten into Les Miles? First he fucks up the NCG, then he publicly rips Gunner Kiel? There is some bad mojo forming around that program, it feels like.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #870
Tigercat
College Starter

All Les said is "there was a gentleman from Indiana, he didn't have the "chest*" or ability to lead a program..."

It was part of the post recruiting speech at the recruiting booster get together that many major programs do. Coaches do Ra-Ra speeches at them, and there is a history of coaches being honestly negative about a recruit when they do something last second that hurts the overall direction of the program.

LSU was set to take Kiel in early at the expense of another LSU commitment that was going to enroll at LSU early, and instead had to go with another SEC school. And then, the night before classes at LSU, Kiel changes his mind, impacting two positions. Without the courtesy to not wait until the last minute, which cost two positions for LSU. It would be like a college coach yanking a scholarship the day before the first day of class. Just as coaches deserve public flak from athletes if/when they withdraw a scholarship, so do young men deserve some when they change decisions at the very, very last minute. Especially an early enrollee after schools have made the decision on how many early enrollees they can accept.

*The "chest?!" Ha, Les if you are going to be disappointed enough in a recruit to talk about him at the Bash, you might as well go all the way and say balls.

Last edited by Tigercat : 02-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #871
Ksyrup

That was a classless thing to say. More importantly, given the way things travel these days, it was a stupid thing to publicly say.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #872
Ksyrup

Let's just put it this way - Jimbo Fisher handled the Dante Fowler flip 180 degrees differently. And that was a guy who had been a firm commitment for 14 months who flipped the morning of signing day to our biggest rival.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #873
Tigercat
College Starter

You should hear what Saban said at LSU when a guy made a signing day swap to A&M back in the day. Miles lost a signing day guy yesterday as well, a guy who's family and coaching staff apparently lied up until yesterday saying they were LSU, up until the moment his school set it up as a choosing ceremony and not a signing ceremony, and the moment he picked up a Texas hat. And yet, pretty sure Miles didn't mention him. Why? I would guess because it just immediately impacted that player alone.

But when Kiel said he would enroll at classes at LSU early, another guy had to change his enrollment plans to go to the school he wanted to go to or change his school plans entirely. He changed schools, a change he could have easily reversed if Kiel didn't wait until the night before school started to change his mind.

Not saying Miles shouldn't have kept his mouth shut, he should have, any coach should in that situation. My point is 1) some coaches do it every year 2) this was an unusual circumstance.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #874
Ksyrup

There's always dominoes to fall in those circumstances, though. Fowler's "firm commitment" kept FSU from going hard after Leonard Williams.

This is pretty funny.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #875
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There's always dominoes to fall in those circumstances, though.

Again, not the same. Deciding the day before classes for early enrollment is like deciding the day before classes for fall enrollment that you will sit out a year so you can play for another school. It would be his decision and a coach shouldn't talk too much about it, but by Jan whatever, Kiel was counted on as a LSU football player, not as a recruit. Thus, Miles being unusually chipper about it, moreso than a signing day recruit he lost.

And this isn't a one case phenomenon. This will happen again as class signing limits mean greater limits on early enrollees. Football needs an early signing period, badly. Even if they just limit it to those enrolling for the spring.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #876
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #877
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

To be honest, a top 10 class with 3 5* players is a pretty sweet haul for USC all things considered.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #878
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
To be honest, a top 10 class with 3 5* players is a pretty sweet haul for USC all things considered.

For sure. Considering they should be a favorite to win it all next year, kids have a chance to win a title as freshman on the arm of Barkley

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #879
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU picked up its first for '13. Safety Jayme Thompson who is a likely 4* looking at his early offers and interest. Notre Dame and Nebraska had offered. Michigan and Ohio State had shown interest.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #880
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I bought one.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #881
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Funny that Wisconsin and Michigan State are upset with Urban Meyer's recruiting tactics. Guess they experienced what it's like to bring SEC-like money into the recruiting process of the Big10.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #882
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Funny that Wisconsin and Michigan State are upset with Urban Meyer's recruiting tactics. Guess they experienced what it's like to bring SEC-like money into the recruiting process of the Big10.

Hoke isn't helping MSU either. Michigan loaded up on DL while MSU only got one and it's a 2*. Granted, it looks like MSU willingly passed on higher rated guys to get him so they likely see something in him. DL also wasn't a need area, but MSU got one and Michigan got 6.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #883
tarcone
Coordinator

Any word on Kazon?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #884
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Any word on Kazon?

He called UM coaches at some point today to discuss the situation but I assume he's done that with Iowa and Auburn too.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #885
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I like Dantonio but feel like he is being a little bitch. Pittman was a Buckeye fan and had said long before he wanted to be a Buckeye then after Tressel got fired Dantonio got his verbal. I'm not sure why it is so far fetched to believe that after a coaching change Pittman would have a change of heart.

Urban Meyer was pretty clear in his presser that they called a few kids and asked them if they were interested. Some said yes, some said no. The ones that said no they never contact again. From what I understand Dantonio isn't happy about Dodson switching from Wisconsin to OSU but from what I have heard MSU was going after him too...even though he was verbally committed.

Meyer also had to fight hard to keep Brionte Dunn a Buckeye - everyone was after him hard and he has been a verbal for some time.

I just don't get why these guys are raising a stink - anytime there is a coaching change recruits are going to reconsider. Whether the change is Meyer coming in, Paterno out, Chryst out, etc. with change players are going to reconsider.

Just seems like sour grapes to me and I also think Detroit media is trying to make Meyer out to be the devil with references like SEC-like aggressiveness...but it's cool for Hoke to come after OSU verbals.

Then again the same guy said Tom Brady was overrated...
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #886
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I like Dantonio but feel like he is being a little bitch. Pittman was a Buckeye fan and had said long before he wanted to be a Buckeye then after Tressel got fired Dantonio got his verbal. I'm not sure why it is so far fetched to believe that after a coaching change Pittman would have a change of heart.

Urban Meyer was pretty clear in his presser that they called a few kids and asked them if they were interested. Some said yes, some said no. The ones that said no they never contact again. From what I understand Dantonio isn't happy about Dodson switching from Wisconsin to OSU but from what I have heard MSU was going after him too...even though he was verbally committed.

Meyer also had to fight hard to keep Brionte Dunn a Buckeye - everyone was after him hard and he has been a verbal for some time.

I just don't get why these guys are raising a stink - anytime there is a coaching change recruits are going to reconsider. Whether the change is Meyer coming in, Paterno out, Chryst out, etc. with change players are going to reconsider.

Just seems like sour grapes to me and I also think Detroit media is trying to make Meyer out to be the devil with references like SEC-like aggressiveness...but it's cool for Hoke to come after OSU verbals.

Then again the same guy said Tom Brady was overrated...

Dantonio has always had thin skin. Hoke even said today kids verbaled elsewhere are fair game. Bielema is in a league of his own when it comes to thin skin though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #887
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wisconsin by no means had a poor class - If they happen to land Diamond tomorrow I'll go out and say this is probably their best class ever. It's a very small class but we're reloading on offensive linemen and other needed positions (QB, Safety). Off the top of my head, I believe this will be the highest average stars class we've had.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #888
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dantonio has always had thin skin. Hoke even said today kids verbaled elsewhere are fair game. Bielema is in a league of his own when it comes to thin skin though.

Until it's known what Urban did, I'll back up BB. What I've heard that's been said so far is that Bret called Urban out on something and Urban said he wouldn't do it again and hasn't. Who knows what it is.. we probably never will. Bret is basically coming out and telling Urban that the Big 10 isn't going to put up with the same tactics that the SEC does.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #889
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
All Les said is "there was a gentleman from Indiana, he didn't have the "chest*" or ability to lead a program..."

It was part of the post recruiting speech at the recruiting booster get together that many major programs do. Coaches do Ra-Ra speeches at them, and there is a history of coaches being honestly negative about a recruit when they do something last second that hurts the overall direction of the program.

LSU was set to take Kiel in early at the expense of another LSU commitment that was going to enroll at LSU early, and instead had to go with another SEC school. And then, the night before classes at LSU, Kiel changes his mind, impacting two positions. Without the courtesy to not wait until the last minute, which cost two positions for LSU. It would be like a college coach yanking a scholarship the day before the first day of class. Just as coaches deserve public flak from athletes if/when they withdraw a scholarship, so do young men deserve some when they change decisions at the very, very last minute. Especially an early enrollee after schools have made the decision on how many early enrollees they can accept.

*The "chest?!" Ha, Les if you are going to be disappointed enough in a recruit to talk about him at the Bash, you might as well go all the way and say balls.
'
Dude, a coach making $6M a year complaining that an 18 year old changed his mind (instead of helping him get richer) is absurd, and kinda classless. Defending that doesn't make it any better.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #890
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Wisconsin by no means had a poor class - If they happen to land Diamond tomorrow I'll go out and say this is probably their best class ever. It's a very small class but we're reloading on offensive linemen and other needed positions (QB, Safety). Off the top of my head, I believe this will be the highest average stars class we've had.

If you sign nobody, you are at the highest rating per recruit since at least 2002. Adding a four star merely pads that.

I have little love Dantonio so it will bring me great joy to see Michigan beating State again when it happens. Kind of frustrating to see Michigan beating MSU for recruiting since at least 2002 and yet MSU has won four in a row. At least we know where the blame goes for that.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #891
Ksyrup

Sheesh. Now I see yet another reason why the Big Ten has fallen so far back in football. Coaches publicly whining about other coaches "stealing" verbal commits? I thought that was the role of us fans? No wonder Jim Tressel was able to build a powerhouse at OSU - once you get the ball rolling and everyone wants to commit to you, none of the teams within 500 miles of you is going to challenge you for any of those recruits! What a sweet gig that was. And free tattoos, to boot!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #892
Ksyrup

Meyer: "You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got 9 guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time."
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #893
Ksyrup

Jameis Winston officially signs with FSU.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #894
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Until it's known what Urban did, I'll back up BB. What I've heard that's been said so far is that Bret called Urban out on something and Urban said he wouldn't do it again and hasn't. Who knows what it is.. we probably never will. Bret is basically coming out and telling Urban that the Big 10 isn't going to put up with the same tactics that the SEC does.

"Regardless of what was reported in the media, we all agree that there was no basis for accusing any coaches of illegal or unethical recruiting," Pat Fitzgerald added. "We're all on the same page. Sometimes things get a little misrepresented or misunderstood or taken the wrong way. I think that's what happened here."
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #895
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Bielema complaining about going after commits to other Big Ten schools when he's done the same thing in the past? Sounds like something he'd do.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #896
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Bielema complaining about going after commits to other Big Ten schools when he's done the same thing in the past? Sounds like something he'd do.

Which is exactly why it isn't as simple as people are making it out to be. It's been heard that Urban was in contact with Dodson's brother during the quiet period towards the end of the recruiting season.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #897
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's been heard that Urban was in contact with Dodson's brother during the quiet period towards the end of the recruiting season.
And this is a problem because...?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #898
Balldog
Pro Rookie

This just in, not everything read on internet message boards is true.

If Pat Fitzgerald is saying the coaches met and all agreed there was nothing illegal then I think that has quite a bit of merit.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #899
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
And this is a problem because...?

Nothing, I know, but I've heard five hundred different scenarios and until we know anything more, I'm not going to believe that Beliema is saying this stuff because a commit flipped after a verbal. It happens, deal with it. But for Beliema to come out and say this like he did, he's either stupid as hell or there is something there. Alvarez already put a statement out that Meyer didn't do anything illegal that he knows of...so perhaps there was clarification that Beliema needed. Who the heck knows.

I know he isn't whining about a flipped player. That's just dumb. Especially after he got Meador to sign after Dodson's committment was basically gone weeks ago.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #900
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

No, seriously - what exactly would the issue have been if Meyer had called the kid's brother during a quiet period? You know that in quiet periods a coach can still call prospects and their families, right?