Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2024, 03:08 PM   #9251
Thomkal
Head Coach

interesting study I ran across about how when Democrats are in office-Obama and Biden here- Republican voters/poll takers believe the economy is bad no matter what the actual numbers/economists are saying and the reverse for when Trump was in office. I mean i can believe Republican congressmen/woman feeling that way, but Republican voters feeling that way when trump did almost nothing to improve infrastructure, But Biden got an infrastructure package that no republicans voted for but continue to this day promote when infrastructure project in their state/district are being improved, bring jobs and money to the area.

The public isn't 'skeptical' of Biden's strong economic performance — just Republicans

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-27-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 05:03 PM   #9252
RainMaker
General Manager

That seems like a universal thing with politics today. Democrats ended up being very anti-war at the end of the Bush term to now where they are essentially neocons today. Remember how all the talk about immigrant kids in cages under Trump just magically ended when Biden was sworn in?

Republicans become fiscally conservative when they are out of office. Democrats become anti-war when they're out of office. The parties are eerily simlar to one another when they are in actual office which is likely the goal of their donors.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:31 AM   #9253
Edward64
Head Coach

Uh oh.

Joe just isn't in a good position, don't think he has any good options.

First on CNN: Three US troops killed in drone attack in Jordan, at least two dozen injured | CNN Politics
Quote:
Three US Army troops were killed and at least two dozen service members were injured in a drone attack overnight on a small US outpost in Jordan, US officials told CNN, marking the first time US troops have been killed by enemy fire in the Middle East since the beginning of the Gaza war.

The killing of three Americans at Tower 22 in Jordan near the border with Syria is a significant escalation of an already-precarious situation in the Middle East.

US Central Command confirmed in a statement on Sunday that three service members were killed and 25 injured in a one-way drone attack that “impacted at a base in northeast Jordan.”
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:50 PM   #9254
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Democrats ended up being very anti-war at the end of the Bush term to now where they are essentially neocons today.\

Neocons like Rumsfeld, et. al.? If so, are you suggesting there's a saying there's a thought-out plan and approach being guided by key Democrats in and out of office, backed by aligned think tanks, to implement a heavily interventionist strategy globally?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #9255
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The OK GOP passed a resolution saying they won't support Sen. Lankford until he stops negotiating with Dems on an immigration bill.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:23 PM   #9256
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

So frustrating that Dems aren't even trying to make a story out of the Trump WH pharmacy being a pill mill for fentanyl and ketamine. Fox News would suspend regular programming for a month if this was a Biden scandal.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:47 PM   #9257
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

So frustrating that Dems aren't even trying to make a story out of the Trump WH pharmacy being a pill mill for fentanyl and ketamine. Fox News would suspend regular programming for a month if this was a Biden scandal.
Almost nothing tied to Trump is shocking anymore. There is a total burn-out on scandal when it comes to him. I mean, he took top secrets documents to his home to show off to his friends. Nothing seems to matter.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:51 PM   #9258
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In part because Dems wait for the media to do the work, but the story will never be bigger than Dems make it in such a partisan environment.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:58 PM   #9259
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess it could work.

But I'm guessing it'll be more effective if Taylor Swift and like helped out (is she a Dem?).

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/28/firs...and-biden.html
Quote:
President Joe Biden’s campaign is trying to organize a first-of-its-kind fundraiser that officials hope would be lucrative and headline-grabbing, but also energizing for Democratic voters who so far have not shown enthusiasm for the party’s 2024 ticket, according to four people familiar with the planning.

The idea is for three Democratic presidents — Biden, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama — to appear together at a fundraiser this spring, the four people familiar with the discussions said.

Discussions are underway to coordinate the presidents’ schedules, these people said, though no date has been set. The fundraiser would likely take place in March or April, two of the sources familiar with the discussions said.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:59 PM   #9260
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Almost nothing tied to Trump is shocking anymore. There is a total burn-out on scandal when it comes to him. I mean, he took top secrets documents to his home to show off to his friends. Nothing seems to matter.

What's insane is his GOP opponents didn't realize that until they started doing opposition research. One of the candidates, either Haley or DeSantis, were doing focus groups with Trump supporters to find out which issues made them swayable. They found nothing moved them.

One person said the border was their top concern and when they were shown that Trump didn't really do anything for the border wall and large gaps remain the person responded that Trump did that purposely to know where migrants are crossing and make it easier for Border control to capture them. Everything they threw at them they either responded they don't care or they explained it away.

The best way to attack Trump, IMO, is to needle him. He makes mistakes and becomes unhinged when you question his intelligence and things like that. I'd love to see someone start calling Stephen Miller the real President to see how Trump would react. You're not going to sway his base, but the more unhinged he is the more he alienates actual swayable voters. Haley seems to finally realize this, but it's far too late for her.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:58 PM   #9261
Thomkal
Head Coach

perhaps something interesting going on in Congress right now-one of the House clerks just read a statement that the justice department has subpoenaed the master of arms for congress for documents. Too soon to know what this about but bears watching.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:44 PM   #9262
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
perhaps something interesting going on in Congress right now-one of the House clerks just read a statement that the justice department has subpoenaed the master of arms for congress for documents. Too soon to know what this about but bears watching.

Some early speculation-Special Counsel smith and Rep Perry have been fighting a long privilege battle over his Jan 6 documents/phones which he (Perry) recently lost and this may be over what was in these documents.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:06 PM   #9263
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Some early speculation-Special Counsel smith and Rep Perry have been fighting a long privilege battle over his Jan 6 documents/phones which he (Perry) recently lost and this may be over what was in these documents.

new information:

this appears to be about a house Democrat allegedly misusing govt money meant for personal security, so alas not that interesting but curious which Democrat this was
Old 01-29-2024, 06:05 PM   #9264
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
I live in the district she is moving to, she won't get through the primary. Far too many other Republicans have been waiting for that seat. And, other than being heavily Republican, it's about as different from her district as there is in Colorado.

Doesn't look good for Boebert.

Quote:
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) came in fifth place in a straw poll of voters in the district where the controversial congresswoman recently relocated and is trying to win reelection to the House.

Now if we can only get rid of Gaetz and MTG.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:06 PM   #9265
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm guessing with the way things are going, she'll make an excuse to drop out and just take a gig at Newsmax or whatever.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:05 PM   #9266
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Doesn't look good for Boebert.

Now if we can only get rid of Gaetz and MTG.

Maybe the next district over will like her more
Old 01-29-2024, 07:11 PM   #9267
GrantDawg

Some conservative nut job label Beobert as the Right's Taylor Swift. Twitter has quickly dubbed her "Trailer Swift."

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2024, 08:13 PM   #9268
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Some conservative nut job label Beobert as the Right's Taylor Swift. Twitter has quickly dubbed her "Trailer Swift."

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Dads everywhere want their daughters to grow up to marry a sex offender and to give a bar owner a handy in a theater.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:20 PM   #9269
cuervo72
Head Coach

I thought Jewel was already dubbed "Trailer Swift."
Old 01-30-2024, 06:43 AM   #9270
Edward64
Head Coach

No election thread yet, just nomination so I'll put it here.

We know there'll be claims of irregularities the months leading up to Nov 5. If I was an advisor to the Election Commission, I'd tell them to start spending money now ... essentially do an analysis & create a public campaign running from now to the end.
1) Here's the list of 2020 (major) claims
2) Here's why they were wrong
3) Here's the steps, measures, transparency etc. we'll put in place for 2024 to reassure you the #1 won't happen
4) Here's any additional steps, measures we are implementing
5) etc.
The campaign needs to be continuous, widespread reach etc. It needs to also collect feedback and publicly address them. It won't solve everything but increased public awareness of what's being done will help alleviate some concerns.

I suspect early balloting & drop box is going to be one of those issues. Regardless of veracity, it's not a big deal to have secured drop boxes with cctv's everywhere etc. Whatever the process. I'm sure there'll be bipartisan agreement to spend a couple billion to reduce the confusion & BS from 2020.

The concerns, regardless of how valid or not they are, should be addressed publicly. It's better than staying quiet and not messaging. We know some of this will be going to courts from both sides, so confront them now and give courts time for a ruling.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-30-2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:54 AM   #9271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

None of that will matter. The GOP has become a cult and if dear leader loses it will only be because it was stolen. There is no other reality these people will accept.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:11 AM   #9272
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Whatever the process. I'm sure there'll be bipartisan agreement to spend a couple billion to reduce the confusion & BS from 2020.

I wish I had your optimism.

GOP-led states have dropped out of ERIC, which was actually a really good anti-fraud system.

A lot of the GOP leaders want fraud and confusion so they can try to successfully J6 the next election.

They aren't against fraud. They are against losing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:22 AM   #9273
Edward64
Head Coach

I've mentioned earlier that as Project Manager implementing systems, it's normal to create a "risk log" where it describes the risk, then probability of risk (VH-H-M-L), then severity/impact of risk (VH-H-M-L). I'd then review with client (public) and create a mitigation or contingency strategy for the more significant risks.

Generalizing ...

8) Extensive claims of fraud; Very-High Probability; Very-High Impact

Bottom-line to me. It can't be ignored, something needs to be done. It's like you see a train headed towards you, you need to take some action.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-30-2024 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:29 AM   #9274
Flasch186
Coordinator

Albion said it perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:21 AM   #9275
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So far this week I've seen conservatives argue that the NFL, the Department of Defense, and youth sports are all liberal conspiracies.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:18 AM   #9276
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
Bottom-line to me. It can't be ignored, something needs to be done. It's like you see a train headed towards you, you need to take some action.

To me this is similar to the Q people or flat-earthers. When someone is set in their beliefs, you can't argue them out of it. It's a character issue at that point, not a logical one, when someone simply is not willing to accept the facts or even consider the possibility that they could be wrong. Almost everyone has elements of this in themselves, but those who have really gone into it head-first are beyond reaching via a PR campaign.

We already have overwhelming evidence that election fraud is simply not a remotely significant factor in national or even state-wide elections, and that the best thing we can do is making voting access easier (more polling locations in urban areas, universal early voting, etc). A lot of the objections boiled down to things like 'there's no way that many people voted for Biden', just like we've even seen people on this forum say the Covid numbers are false. When you're not willing to face clear and substantiated evidence, nothing can be done to make you accept it.

And now we've reached the point where it's infecting both parties. I can't find the source of exact numbers, but I've seen polls where something like a third of Democrats wouldn't accept the result of the election if Trump won. I'm sure a lot of that is understandable Trump hate/fear, but I think you can only rip the country apart so far before people simply refuse to accept what is happening, even if the alternative is worse.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-30-2024 at 10:23 AM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:13 AM   #9277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Am I crazy for thinking Russia is behind these attacks in the middle east? They have all their eggs in the basket of Trump getting reelected and what looks worse for Biden than unrest in the Middle East?

They already put him in a no win situation. If he does nothing he is weak, if he strikes he is escalating.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:19 AM   #9278
GrantDawg

Quote:
new information:

this appears to be about a house Democrat allegedly misusing govt money meant for personal security, so alas not that interesting but curious which Democrat this was
Looks like it Cori Bush.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:46 AM   #9279
Thomkal
Head Coach

man i'm sure MTG will be happy about this news. DOJ doing there jobs, regardless of political party involved. And if they find something in the subpoena materials to charge her with it, so be it.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:32 PM   #9280
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Am I crazy for thinking Russia is behind these attacks in the middle east? They have all their eggs in the basket of Trump getting reelected and what looks worse for Biden than unrest in the Middle East?

They already put him in a no win situation. If he does nothing he is weak, if he strikes he is escalating.

Yes, that is crazy. Dems can't blame Russia every time they fuck up.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:38 PM   #9281
GrantDawg

This is the story. She has been paying her husband out of campaign finds as a part of her security. Not a great look, but I don't know the legalities.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-30-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:25 PM   #9282
Thomkal
Head Coach

i think i read she was investigated by the House ethics committee on this and cleared, so remains to be seen what the DOJ thinks.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:47 PM   #9283
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm pretty much always for more scrutiny on campaign spending for all politicians. So many of them abuse the laws for personal gain.

With that said, I don't get this case at all unless they're leaving something out. Her husband is being paid market rate for security. He's also qualified for the job. And considering how many threats she receives and how little the DOJ does with those threats, I feel like security is pretty warranted.

I'd be fine with a rule that you can't have family on the payroll, but like half the major politicians out there do it. Unless there is something more to this case, it feels really weird.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:17 PM   #9284
molson
General Manager

So Trumpers v. Swifties is the big political rivalry now whose outcome will shape our nation? That's where we are?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:11 AM   #9285
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So Trumpers v. Swifties is the big political rivalry now whose outcome will shape our nation? That's where we are?

Sadly, what a country we live in.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:13 AM   #9286
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm actually okay with that.

I really, really hope the Trumpers attack the Swift(ies). It can only help Joe.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:58 AM   #9287
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
i think i read she was investigated by the House ethics committee on this and cleared

Foxes decide other fox in henhouse wasn't there to cause trouble.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:09 AM   #9288
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Sadly, what a country we live in.

So now we’ve got bad blood.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:12 AM   #9289
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
So now we’ve got bad blood.

I don't think we ever had mad love.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:05 PM   #9290
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Grassley is now worried that passing a tax cut bill will help Biden.

It's amazing how publicly the GOP is making clear they won't solve any problems if it might benefit a Democrat.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:30 AM   #9291
Edward64
Head Coach

Personally, I don't care if it's one Ukraine-Israel-Taiwan-Border bill or 3+ separate bills. Let's just get to the voting for Ukraine at least who has the most immediate need.

Access to this page has been denied
Quote:
House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) told the three leaders of the Baltic parliaments that President Biden’s national security supplemental that includes aid for Ukraine is “likely” to be split up over concerns about border policy reforms, according to a source familiar with the conversation.
Quote:
While House Republicans are increasingly opposed to more aid for Ukraine, allies in Europe have expressed confidence that Johnson, and a majority in Congress, support continued U.S. assistance for Ukraine.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), one of the negotiators of the border policy reform, said there’s still consensus on keeping border policy reforms as part of the larger national security supplemental, which includes aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan.

“We have a deal. I think the bigger problem we’re trying to solve is whether there are the votes in the Republican conference to pass this,” he said.

“I think demands to have border and Ukraine together have been pretty consistent not just in the Senate but in the House as well.”

EDIT:

Welp, some good news for Ukraine at least.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68165971
Quote:
All 27 EU leaders have agreed a €50bn aid package for Ukraine after Hungary had previously blocked the deal.
Quote:
The package will help to pay pensions and salaries and other costs over the next four years. It comes as US military aid for Ukraine is being held up by Congress.
I wonder what Orban got?

Quote:
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, who had been highly critical of what he called Mr Orban's "strange and egotistic game," posted on X: "Viktor Orban could be 'persuaded'... Let's move on."

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-01-2024 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:51 PM   #9292
Atocep
Coordinator

The child labor bill florida passed today allows 16 year olds to work 30 hours per week and up to 6 days in a row during the school year. Oh, and the employer isn't mandated to give them any breaks.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:46 PM   #9293
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It’s floridas goal to have as many low income uneducated citizens as possible.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:34 PM   #9294
Edward64
Head Coach

Going to be interesting next week.

GOP House on their standalone bill and Senate coming out with their Ukraine-Israel-Taiwan-Border bill. Either way, glad it's on the next step to some sort of conclusion (I hope).

Access to this page has been denied
Quote:
The House will vote on a “clean, standalone” Israel aid bill next week, Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) announced Saturday, a reversal for the GOP conference after it approved a package for Tel Aviv last year that also included cuts to IRS funding.

The $17.6 billion Israel bill is poised to set up a showdown between the House and Senate: lawmakers in the upper chamber are preparing to vote on a national security supplemental next week that includes Israel aid and border security policy, which House GOP lawmakers have railed against.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-03-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:38 PM   #9295
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It’s floridas goal to have as many low income uneducated citizens as possible.

It's wild how he turned them into Alabama with some better weather this quick.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:31 PM   #9296
Edward64
Head Coach

Basically, a whole lotta pain for Joe but not all is bad.

Access Denied
Quote:
“What is most concerning is the erosion of Biden’s standing against Trump compared to four years ago,” Horwitt said. “On every measure compared to 2020, Biden has declined. Most damning, the belief that Biden is more likely to be up to the job — the chief tenet of the Biden candidacy — has evaporated.”

McInturff, the GOP pollster, adds: “It is hard to imagine a more difficult set of numbers before a re-election.”
:
“Biden can take solace that we are in January and not October 2024. At this stage in prior cycles, attitudes can change,” he said.
Quote:
In the new NBC News poll, Biden holds the advantage over Trump among Black voters (75% to 16%), women (50% to 40%) and white people with college degrees (50% to 42%).

Trump, meanwhile, has leads among white people without college degrees (62% to 29%), men (56% to 34%) and independents (48% to 29%).

The two men are essentially tied among Latinos (Trump 42%, Biden 41%) and voters ages 18-34 (at 42% each). Among the youngest slice of voters measured, those ages 18-29, Biden has a narrow advantage (Biden 46%, Trump 38%).

The independents surprised me.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-04-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:35 PM   #9297
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The independents surprised me.

Wasn't there a thing a while back where Trumper's were intentionally screwing with polls by saying they were something they weren't politically? I remember that from somewhere. It surprises you because it's almost certainly bullshit. Trump's path isn't convincing people to vote for him it's convincing them not to vote at all. At this point you are either voting for Trump or you aren't. He needs those that aren't to not vote at all.

Last edited by dubb93 : 02-04-2024 at 07:36 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:40 PM   #9298
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW I don't think the MAGA's are that coordinated or disciplined to fake out the "independents" vote.

But yeah, I'd like to see some additional polling to confirm/deny this.

Additionally, I know some here disparage the Trump voters as not being "educated". If this poll is accurate, the 42% college educated backing Trump is impressive.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-04-2024 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:33 PM   #9299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: that independent stat -- I've identified as an independent for my entire modern political lifetime, I've never been a GOP member in reality nor in any survey.

I know a handful of others who fit the same description so that factors into that somewhere.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:34 AM   #9300
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
re: that independent stat -- I've identified as an independent for my entire modern political lifetime, I've never been a GOP member in reality nor in any survey.

TBH this surprises me.

I consider myself independent, leaning GOP on some areas, leaning Dems on other areas. I've voted for GOP & Dem Presidents in the past.

Don't take this in anyway other than idle curiosity, have you voted for GOP & Dem Presidents in the past?