Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #901
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

It sounds like Mack to Wake is not Wake's first pick. But in case other possibilities fall through... Names I have been hearing ....Howland, Smart, among others...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #902
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Lots of transfers and players leaving Indiana. For Indiana to avoid anymore fallout Creans gotta go... I gotta think 10-15 wins next year is the best they will do next year then Crean is done. But he has a $12 mill buyout. Ouch.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #903
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Things are a mess. Outside of Vonleh, no important guys involved. Crean's seat is warming up.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #904
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

This Clemson/Belmont game in the NIT is pretty awesome. Clemson was stomping them in the first half, but Belmont has really fired up the transition game and with a flurry of threes has taken the lead midway through the second half.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #905
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yep Im watching...

Clemson is not used to getting calls go our way but tonight

And KJ is putting on a show jumping all over the place
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #906
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Belmont just can't miss from three this half. It's making for an awesome game, because Clemson is athletic as all hell, flying around and blocking shots. Unfortunately, they're allowing a bunch of offensive rebounds to Belmont, or they'd be comfortably ahead right now.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #907
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

UConn's women's team gets to the Sweet 16 by beating a team by 39.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #908
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oof, Belmont wilting under pressure. They seem to be picking up their dribble way too quickly. The great ball movement they were using earlier is gone.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
UConn's women's team gets to the Sweet 16 by beating a team by 39.

One of their smaller margins of victory this year, their first win by less than 20 in 12 games.

Their wins over ranked teams (going backwards to the start of the season) include:
#3 L'ville by 20
#24 Rutgers by 26
#3 L'ville by 20
#24 Rutgers by 27
#4 L'ville by 17
#24 Rutgers by 30
#7 Baylor by 11
#21 Cal by 33
#2 Duke by 22
#13 Penn State by 19
#8 Maryland by 17
#3 Stanford by 19

The smallest margin of victory over an unranked opponent was 25

edit to add: Similarly 34-0 Notre Dame is 11-0 vs ranked teams, their closest win over one was by 10, on the road at Penn State back in early December. The gap between those two & the rest of WCBB appears to be enormous.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-25-2014 at 08:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #910
Logan
Head Coach

Manhattan's Steve Masiello's deal with USF is off, after the school learned he did not graduate from Kentucky as he claimed on his resume.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #911
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That falls under the "who lies about that sort of stuff in this day and age?" They weren't hiring him because of his college degree so why lie about it?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #912
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That falls under the "who lies about that sort of stuff in this day and age?" They weren't hiring him because of his college degree so why lie about it?

SI
It's odd he thought he'd get away with that lie, but I also believe many schools have a requirement that coaches on their staffs have to have a degree.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #913
molson
General Manager

Stories like that fascinate me. He must have been close to graduating, he was there 4 years. Then he spent a year as an admin assistant at Tulane for some reason. Maybe he saw that as a huge opportunity, and felt he needed to lie to get it, rather than just take the year to graduate. I wonder if Manhattan will take him back.

Edit: The lie must have originated at almost exactly the same time the George O'Leary thing went down. Maybe he figured he'd never have a job as high-profile as Notre Dame head football coach, so it didn't matter.

Last edited by molson : 03-26-2014 at 11:47 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #914
Logan
Head Coach

Smart officially passed on Marquette, FYI.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #915
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

That was obvious since around 5:30pm Central on 3/24
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #916
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 03-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #917
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Would love to hear the back story on that. Meyer was convinced on his radio interview that Smart would be leaving. Wonder how much they offered.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #918
Izulde
Head Coach

Lot of chatter that Rice is considering a contract with USF.

Personally, I think he's just using this as a leverage move to negotiate more money out of UNLV.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #919
Izulde
Head Coach

Rice officially confirms he was offered the USF job, and he's meeting with AD Kunzer-Murphy right now. Word is it's not the money he wants, it's the job security and more resources for the basketball program, like an academic advisor who works just with the men's basketball players.

Last edited by Izulde : 03-28-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #920
Izulde
Head Coach

Latest reports: USF offer is reportedly 5 years at 1.4 million per (essentially double what UNLV is paying him right now)

If Rice gets an extension, he'll most likely stay, and any pay raise he gets, he'll put the money right back into the program. Also, reportedly people associated with 15 different coaches have contacted the AD about the job, with rumors of big names.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #921
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Rice officially confirms he was offered the USF job, and he's meeting with AD Kunzer-Murphy right now. Word is it's not the money he wants, it's the job security and more resources for the basketball program, like an academic advisor who works just with the men's basketball players.

Just off hand here, is there really an adequate amount of advisement to justify a full-time (hypothetically, since you didn't actually say that specifically) person for give or take 15 players? In theory I can see how it would be possible but I don't see enough players taking that much advantage of it to justify it.

More of an educational question than a basketball one really.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #922
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just off hand here, is there really an adequate amount of advisement to justify a full-time (hypothetically, since you didn't actually say that specifically) person for give or take 15 players? In theory I can see how it would be possible but I don't see enough players taking that much advantage of it to justify it.

I believe at one school I've been to, the academic advisors also ran the study halls for the players, in addition to helping them stay on track in their classes and contacting said players' instructors.

They were very much handlers for certain athletes rather than letting the athletes take initiative to do things on their own. I won't go into more detail here obviously, but I will say I'm never surprised when academic scandals break out at any Division I university.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #923
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #924
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

{scratches head}

I've seen this a couple of times today, I'm just still trying to figure out why. This is all rather old news best I can tell.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #925
nol
Banned

I think that's the first example anyone's seen of the actual "coursework" from the UNC scandal.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #926
Izulde
Head Coach

So it appears Rice is staying after all, and an extension and more money for the program is forthcoming. It's possible this may have all been a leverage play on his part like we've seen so many times before (and which I honestly thought of and mentioned to somebody while all of this was going down).

Was an interesting day yesterday though, and today there's some dispute over whether he was given a formal offer. USF says no, but people were reporting 5 or 6 years at 1.3 million per pretty consistently. So my guess is while they didn't make a formal offer, there was an informal one with a suggestion that this would be the type of contract they would offer him.

Gotta feel for South Florida fans though.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #927
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Despite how much he has denied it and shifts the blame to Michigan fans, I don't think the Izzo/Pistons rumors will go away until the Pistons have a new coach.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #928
nol
Banned

Speaking of NBA rumors, teams going after Fred Hoiberg is going to be an annual occurrence, but it's a welcome problem for Iowa State fans to have.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #929
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Jordan Clarkson declares for NBA Draft. Jabari Brown said he and Clarkson would likely do the same thing in regards to the NBA, so he's probably gone too. Both of their dads have recently been diagnosed with cancer, so it's a good reason for both of them to make the jump now if they feel it will work.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #930
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Spurned agent alleges he paid Tyler Honeycutt at UCLA - SBNation.com
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #931
MrBug708
Head Coach

This UCLA's statement:

"In June 2011, Noah Lookofsky contacted the UCLA athletic department asserting that he had provided extra benefits to former men's basketball student-athlete Tyler Honeycutt. The institution immediately reported this information to the then Pac-10 Conference as well as the NCAA.

"Over the next several months, UCLA worked jointly and cooperated fully with the Conference and the NCAA while the matter was reviewed. During the investigation of these claims, Lookofsky refused to provide additional information to verify his assertions and was unwilling to meet with investigators from the NCAA and UCLA to tell his story. Both UCLA and the NCAA took significant measures to ascertain the facts from the former student-athlete and his family, but they also declined to cooperate. In October 2011, after four months investigating the matter, and with nothing more than the assertions of Lookofsky, the NCAA informed UCLA that it considered the case closed with no finding against the institution or any individual.

"In accordance with NCAA by-laws and past recommended actions by the NCAA Committee on Infractions, because Honeycutt failed to cooperate in the matter, UCLA disassociated him from the institution. This disassociation, which remains in effect today, prohibits UCLA from providing any benefits to him, such as game tickets, and he cannot be granted access to any university facility that is unavailable to the general public. In addition, UCLA may not accept any benefit or donation from him.

"In February of 2014, a member of the UCLA staff was contacted by a reporter regarding the same assertions brought to light in 2011. The reporter indicated that he had documentation from Lookofsky. Once again, the University immediately contacted the Pac-12 Conference and the NCAA to communicate our willingness to cooperate fully to address this issue. The NCAA and UCLA then attempted to meet with Lookofsky, but he again declined to be interviewed.

"UCLA takes its obligations of membership in the Pac-12 Conference and the NCAA seriously and we appreciate the diligence the NCAA has continued to show in assessing the situation."

Last edited by MrBug708 : 04-02-2014 at 11:46 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #932
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was Honeycutt's bed that Reeves Nelson allegedly peed on. I am beginning to be more and more in support of this action than I was before.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #933
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting that Jabari Brown declared but did not sign an agent. Only has until April 15th to withdraw. I find it highly unlikely that he'll be back to Mizzou.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #934
Logan
Head Coach

Mizzou's Zach Price was arrested today.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #935
Logan
Head Coach

Mizzou's Zach Price was arrested today..
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #936
Buccaneer
Head Coach

One of the several things that have turned me off from watching college basketball is the amount of traveling and carrying. I was, however, curious as to the current rules and found this Video Rule Book - Home (applying to NBA). I guess one of the things I did not know was as long as you are dribbling, it doesn't matter the height of the dribble or how many steps between dribbles (as shown in the new Giannis Antetokounmpo video). However, looking at each of the Traveling & Dribbling Violations, I can understand how these are more obvious rule violations.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #937
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Mizzou's Zach Price was arrested today..

At first I thought you double posted and now I read this did happen. Impressive accomplishment.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #938
nol
Banned

While the first reaction is "really principled of him to speak out on all of this after he went bust as an agent," this is why we'll never see a minor league system for college football and basketball. Good luck to the NBA D League offering a max salary of $25,000 when twice that isn't enough to secure Tyler Honeycutt.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #939
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
While the first reaction is "really principled of him to speak out on all of this after he went bust as an agent," this is why we'll never see a minor league system for college football and basketball. Good luck to the NBA D League offering a max salary of $25,000 when twice that isn't enough to secure Tyler Honeycutt.

Principled isn't the term I would use when he then evades the NCAA and UCLA seeking more information and evidence.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #940
nol
Banned

Oops, thought I was being as sarcastic as possible there, but apparently not.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #941
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They can run study halls.
They can verify class attendance.
They can review coursework before its turned in.
They can strong arm professors into improving grades..ooops scratch that.

Now the next level is HS relations/academic advisor. In that role they spend considerable time reviewing recruits transcripts and making sure they are on track to graduate, enroll
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #942
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

He's likely gone. Two felonies and you haven't even played a minute for the team. That won't end well. We're on some pretty good recruits. Guess another one of them just got an offer after this incident.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #943
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

A Pitino leads a team to a championship for the 2nd year in a row.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #944
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #945
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Payne seems like the type of player the Spurs will get late in the 1st round and end up being an All-Star. Being projected late first seems too low for his skill set IMO.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #946
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Danny Manning to Wake Forest.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #947
Thomkal
Head Coach

So chances Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita State now that he's been named Coach of the Year and brought a Final Four appearance then a perfect regular season and then a #1 seed there? I know we talked about this last year, and there was so mention of his behavior and attitude holding him back, but he flat out wins. Can the big-name schools take a pass on him again?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #948
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So chances Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita State now that he's been named Coach of the Year and brought a Final Four appearance then a perfect regular season and then a #1 seed there? I know we talked about this last year, and there was so mention of his behavior and attitude holding him back, but he flat out wins. Can the big-name schools take a pass on him again?

I don't think it's a situation where schools have been ignoring him at all. He's been on the final list for several good BCS openings in the past. He's on the radio often here in KC and he's been very clear in the past that his family and kids like Wichita and they're not in any hurry to uproot from that area. He's always stated that he's able to live a very good life on his salary (which will likely go up after this year) and that he's not in any big hurry to start over at a program. I think they just like the pace of life in that area and aren't interested in moving to a more stressful and tougher environment. Reminds me a lot of the Gonzaga/Few situation.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #949
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I think if you're one of the hot new things, you have to find a job that fits you. Buzz Williams waited too long and never did so he has to start over again at Virginia Tech. Brad Stevens held out just long enough to get an NBA gig and a good one at that. Shaka Smart probably needs to find his right job before things go south at VCU because he seems like a guy who won't stay in one place for a long time. Meanwhile, Mark Few waited too long so he's had to "settle" for his mini-mid-major dynasty up in Spokane.

I think Marshall is one of those guys who eventually wants to leave. But if you're him, what program did you see open that you really want to go to? Marquette? Wake Forest? His stock will never be higher than this year but would you rather wait another year or two when some bigger dominoes start falling? Does Boeheim retire? Do Izzo or Self or Ollie or Pitino go to the NBA? Does Calipari get pinched by the feds? Did Barnes's good year in Texas only buy him one more year? If one or more of those jobs come open, do those or the domino effect of open jobs give him a good chance at a better gig?

He also carries some personality baggage as there are claims that he's a bit high maintenance, even by head coach standards, and not every program is going to put up with that. So, this may be the highest he's thought of, maybe waiting a year or two gets him in a better job than jumping this year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #950
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

8-Year-Old Princess Lacey Passes Away - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Quote:
LANSING, Mich. (WLNS)- Princess Lacey known for her life long battle with cancer and for winning the heart of star MSU basketball player Adreian Payne, has passed away.

8-Year-Old Lacey Holsworth befriended Payne after the Spartans basketball team made a trip to the hospital where Lacey was staying. The pair quickly formed a relationship and Payne refers to her as Princess Lacey and considers her his little sister.

Lacey's parents made a post on her Instagram Thursday night saying "Princess Lacey has achieved the ultimate victory. She now dances among angels...the world is a better place because you were in it".

Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with Lacey's family, friends, and the Spartans who knew and loved her.