Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #9651
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that monoclonal antibodies are reimbursed by the feds so none of that money comes out of his pockets. Also, his top donor makes money off it (tho there's some context there).
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...255556531.html
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...424e19b3ed994f
Ron DeSantis and Regeneron connection on monoclonal antibody treatments, explained

SI

It also doesn't work against Omicron which is probably why he likes it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...icron.amp.html
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #9652
whomario
Pro Starter

That's for 2 Tests to a pack, right ? (only did a quick google search for a Walmart sales page)

Just for reference: Over here it is 20ish € (22,5 USD) for a 5-pack from a good test (per our ministry doing a study) i and my family use, over the counter. Gets considereably cheaper from dedicated sellers on these when scaling these orders up to bigger volumes (10 pack of the same for 30, 5x5 for 60).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-05-2022 at 09:24 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:48 AM   #9653
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The nurses I saw on Monday when I went to get tested with no symptoms told me that rapid tests are useless because I will come back negative either way given the new strain. So I don't know what good an at-home test would be for those with no symptoms. It does make me curious, though - does the level of symptom equate to the transmissibility? Because if it doesn't, and asymptomatic people can transmit it about as easily as someone who knows they are sick, then asymptomatic spread is a real issue if most quick tests are going to tell you you're negative.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #9654
miked
College Starter

You are most contagious 1-2 days before symptoms come on and the first few days of symptoms.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #9655
whomario
Pro Starter

Edit: Simply to add to what miked said, which i scrolled past before typing my novel and is essentially what one needs to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The nurses I saw on Monday when I went to get tested with no symptoms told me that rapid tests are useless because I will come back negative either way given the new strain. So I don't know what good an at-home test would be for those with no symptoms. It does make me curious, though - does the level of symptom equate to the transmissibility? Because if it doesn't, and asymptomatic people can transmit it about as easily as someone who knows they are sick, then asymptomatic spread is a real issue if most quick tests are going to tell you you're negative.

It's a misconception that's still hanging around from early days and poor messaging in the time since ... The tests improved leaps and bounds.

True: They detect only highish viral load where anything lower you are unlikely to be able to spread it (not impossible and of course this is at time of test, 12/24 hours later is a different story again)

True: Viral load is highest early when symptoms start, then goes down in the following days

True: Most people develop some sort of symptoms (but often ignore them, brush them off)

True: Thus it's most likely to show positive and most likely a negative is a definitive negative when having symptoms.

Not true: It only works when you have symptoms

Why ? Because all the true things aren't 1/0 binaries. Viral load can already be pretty high before symptoms and in asymptomatic (this is a big part of why it spreads so well !). So if you know you had contact with someone with Covid it makes a lot of sense to get a rapid test before meeting others.

If negative, there is a very high chance you are not currently infectious to others at that exact moment/next couple hours (if test is done well, meaning thoroughly and not barely brushing the nose hairs !). It however is not as reliable to show you are not infected as a PCR is. You might simply not yet (or not anymore) have highish viral load. If positive there is a very high chance you are and either asymptomatic or simply not yet having any symptoms.

A PCR shows lower amounts of virus, thus is more accurate of a diagnostic tool over a larger swaths of time, both earlier and later (it is a diagnotic test showing you are infected). So if you want to know if you have Covid early after exposure or your recent symptoms were Covid (or say you know of a gathering with lots of positives) a PCR is really important.

But if one wants to know if one is infectious right now, that's what rapid tests were designed for. It's the "take before going to meet people (especially vulnerable) test" and also the "find out if you are still infectious/need to isolate test", not so much the "find out if you are definitely infected or not test".

It's also why it makes little sense to take once and be done unless you have symptoms. And the Timing matters. Remember that incubation is 4-5 days on average (btw asymptomatic have this as well. While a rarer, they can also have high viral load. Their immune system simply combats it very well) but can of course range from 2-14 with both extremes being unlikely. So if you get a rapid test 7 or 8 days after exposure it's more likely a negative is an all clear than on day 3.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelmi...51234263597067

(He's a tad obnoxious but one of the authorities on this stuff i'd say)

Edit 2: It turns out more and more that with Omicron especially Saliva (throat) works better/earlier and symptom onset is earlier as well. So this might skew things towards what the nurses seem to be experiencing !

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelmi...98030618906632
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-05-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #9656
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The CDC answers to these questions are here: COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation | CDC

If you successfully decipher what it is you should do, you should have no problems with the GRE. Plus, I think they've hidden the recipe for that mall-brand chocolate-chip cookie in there.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #9657
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The CDC answers to these questions are here: COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation | CDC

If you successfully decipher what it is you should do, you should have no problems with the GRE. Plus, I think they've hidden the recipe for that mall-brand chocolate-chip cookie in there.

Yeah, their communication on this has been botched and all the corrections don't help

Old 01-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #9658
RainMaker
General Manager

Remember when the CDC was revered around the world many years ago?
Old 01-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #9659
whomario
Pro Starter

Another thing: If you are wondering why FOX and Repubs are trying to pronounce "Novak Djokovic" while screaming:

Novak Djokovic Australian Open: Visa bungle and exemption paperwork delay world No.1’s entry into Australia

Australia has done some weird shit this pandemic with regard to their borders (and i don't mean closing them as an island nation but how they dealt with exceptions throughout, taking a year to come up with any improvements, going with Plan "let's hope it'll all go away by itself" ) and would have also very much benefitted from PR advice as well. Then again Djokovic is perfectly easy to dislike even ignoring his Covid commentary (and his father is batshit crazy).

EDIT: Now the serbian President (yes, of the country, not the tennis federation) is involved fighting for his rights and freedom.

I also want to mention that Serbia is 48% vaccinated and has 75% + more people dying than usual for weeks now. I want to wager that Djokovic could have swayed some of those into protecting themselves.

Last edited by whomario : 01-05-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #9660
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59889522
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #9661
Ksyrup

The whole thing is weird. The Australian Open gave him the exemption, but no one thought to coordinate approval for entry into the country? This sounds more like a reactionary decision by the PM in response to criticism over favorable treatment for a big draw for the tournament. So, everyone comes out smelling like shit. Well done!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-05-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #9662
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You kindof wonder how these decisions get made - you think that in a vacuum, of course it looks awful. Then you remember that these same putzes get away with dozens of unethical decisions (I originally had it as "bad" decisions but that could just mean stupid as opposed to morally wrong) that don't make a ripple for every one that does so I think they're surprised whenever one doesn't quite work out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #9663
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
The whole thing is weird. The Australian Open gave him the exemption, but no one thought to coordinate approval for entry into the country? This sounds more like a reactionary decision by the PM in response to criticism over favorable treatment for a big draw for the tournament. So, everyone comes out smelling like shit. Well done!

The negative reaction was 100% certain to occur, there is no way anybody in charge was surprised into a reaction here.

Yes, these are new rules but the basic principle is the same as ever. I mean, i got granted a visa for NZ after sending a bunch of copies and filled out forms but stil l had to provide a bunch of original documentation upon arrival. And if i had applied for one visa but provided documentation needed for another ... He was granted an exemption based on the provided information but this was anonymous by design. So i certainly wouldn't know how much was actually there. It may well be that there were no actual original documents (or how redacted they were) given they'd likely give the medical Reviewers clues on identity. Maybe it was just a collection of 'data' on a form. So the exemption was granted with the provision of documentation upon entry.

Now i have no idea why this wasn't pre-sent to be audited but the fact the exception was granted was known the same day he boarded a flight (again, the process was anonymous so who knows when anybody even knew who got one ?). Remember the tight time frame, up until yesterday nobody knew if Djokovic even applied for an exemption, was sitting this one out or heck, maybe got vaccinated. He literally announced him getting an exemption from the departure airport. Before that, nobody knew, at least in the public (and i kinda doubt any border officials either).

Last edited by whomario : 01-05-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #9664
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Presumably, he has someone who handles travel arrangements. When you travel as much as a professional tennis player and there are dozens of countries with different rule sets and different official languages, it's a lot to do it all yourself. Add to that the changing nature of COVID and travel exceptions, I'd hesitate to make any judgment.

Different subject... Hub Arkush violates the forum rule to take a shot at Aaron Rodgers. Unlike Rodgers, I'm quite familiar with Arkush - his family founded Pro Football Weekly, which was essentially Twitter for the NFL before there was Twitter. Arkush got dozens of NFL execs to talk honestly about the game by being pretty good about promising anonymity. I don't know which says more - that Arkush went on a negative rant about a star player (PFW was usually quite positive, which was nice - I enjoyed reading it) or that Rodgers has no knowledge of who he is. I wonder if there's some mutual grudge there dating back to Rodgers' inexplicable drop in the draft.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #9665
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
The negative reaction was 100% certain to occur, there is no way anybody in charge was surprised into a reaction here.

Yes, these are new rules but the basic principle is the same as ever. I mean, i got granted a visa for NZ after sending a bunch of copies and filled out forms but stil l had to provide a bunch of original documentation upon arrival. And if i had applied for one visa but provided documentation needed for another ... He was granted an exemption based on the provided information but this was anonymous by design. So i certainly wouldn't know how much was actually there. It may well be that there were no actual original documents (or how redacted they were) given they'd likely give the medical Reviewers clues on identity. Maybe it was just a collection of 'data' on a form. So the exemption was granted with the provision of documentation upon entry.

Now i have no idea why this wasn't pre-sent to be audited but the fact the exception was granted was known the same day he boarded a flight (again, the process was anonymous so who knows when anybody even knew who got one ?). Remember the tight time frame, up until yesterday nobody knew if Djokovic even applied for an exemption, was sitting this one out or heck, maybe got vaccinated. He literally announced him getting an exemption from the departure airport. Before that, nobody knew, at least in the public (and i kinda doubt any border officials either).

That's what I'm saying, the whole thing is weird. Did he and the AO think they could do this at the last-minute and he would essentially bully his way into the country? That's the way it looks, and it backfired when the PM got pissed about it (probably a combination of the last-minute plan and the controversy from tennis players' reactions).
Old 01-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #9666
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Presumably, he has someone who handles travel arrangements. When you travel as much as a professional tennis player and there are dozens of countries with different rule sets and different official languages, it's a lot to do it all yourself. Add to that the changing nature of COVID and travel exceptions, I'd hesitate to make any judgment.

Deleted that part as info was confusing ... And sure, i don't expect him to have done any of the paperwork himself (with the possible exception of the documentation re: Covid, what with Dr/Patient confidentiality).

Official statement is that he "failed to provide appropriate evidence". Seeing the saga played out over hours and it's Djokovic, one can bet that there was back and forth for missing information with his doctors etc.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:12 PM   #9667
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm fairly certain I have a mild case of covid right now, but there is literally no testing sites within reach that have openings before next Wednesday. I live alone & work from home, so I'm not particularly risking much by staying untested as long as I isolate anyway, but I sure wish I could get tested.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:10 PM   #9668
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm fairly certain I have a mild case of covid right now, but there is literally no testing sites within reach that have openings before next Wednesday. I live alone & work from home, so I'm not particularly risking much by staying untested as long as I isolate anyway, but I sure wish I could get tested.

That's where I'm at right now. It's real mild, scratchy throat, little tired, some coughing that cough drops have helped with. Wouldn't have thought twice about it before Covid. And it still could be just a mild cold or allergies for all I know. But it would be nice to get tested so I don't sit at home for the next week out of fear I'll infect someone.

Although the good news is that Biden said we just need to Google or "ask around" about where to get all these tests he claims are out there.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:17 PM   #9669
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It's not really weird. The Australian Open doesn't have a say in immigration rules and regulations. They just gave him exemption to appear in the tournament.

His visa was cancelled and the rules are pretty straightforward for entering the country and what documents you need to provide. He either thought the rules didn't apply to him or did this as some dumb publicity stunt.

And I'm not buying the argument that someone else handles it for him and messed up. He's the top tennis player in the world and extremely wealthy. Travels to dozens of countries a year which all have special requirements to enter. This is not some first time traveler.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:22 AM   #9670
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

My piece of shit republican sister and her piece of shit husband decided to come to family Christmas festivities ....while sick....and unmasked...and didn't tell anyone...and then they spread covid to most of my family...

I so hate rpublicans
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:27 AM   #9671
Edward64
Head Coach

I'd like to know on what basis Djokovic was granted that medical exemption. I can guess it was just his celebrity status but would like to know for sure.

I can also believe his "travel team" screwed up due to their incomplete/incompetent checking process.

Unless the medical exemption is real-real, the Australian government is right to deny his entry. A teachable moment for the others next time.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:15 AM   #9672
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'd like to know on what basis Djokovic was granted that medical exemption. I can guess it was just his celebrity status but would like to know for sure.

Both links above go into that The problem, if (!) exemption was for past infection, is simply that the australian government literally does not accept that as an exemption. Meaning the organisers, who were reportedly told so in November, created an exemption for playing that the federal government does not recognize for entering. Of course a whole bunch of other info is incomplete, including others getting an exemption (again, the process was anonymous, Djokovic chose to make him getting one public)
Old 01-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #9673
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's not really weird. The Australian Open doesn't have a say in immigration rules and regulations. They just gave him exemption to appear in the tournament.

His visa was cancelled and the rules are pretty straightforward for entering the country and what documents you need to provide. He either thought the rules didn't apply to him or did this as some dumb publicity stunt.

And I'm not buying the argument that someone else handles it for him and messed up. He's the top tennis player in the world and extremely wealthy. Travels to dozens of countries a year which all have special requirements to enter. This is not some first time traveler.

I understand the two are separate, but that's what makes this debacle weird. Someone on his team had to know that getting the AO exemption didn't guarantee entry into the country. I can only guess that they just thought he'd be allowed in because of who he is and having gone public about getting the AO exemption. Which is, of course, really stupid.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #9674
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
My piece of shit republican sister and her piece of shit husband decided to come to family Christmas festivities ....while sick....and unmasked...and didn't tell anyone...and then they spread covid to most of my family...

I so hate rpublicans

That sucks. Sorry CF.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #9675
cuervo72
Head Coach

In the words of DJ Khaled...

Anti-Vax Podcaster Who Got COVID at a Conspiracy Conference Has Died
Old 01-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #9676
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man I really wish I could see these guys faces when they get to wherever they are going and see how wrong they were. Is there a Purgatory for COVID?
Old 01-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #9677
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I took my boys to see their grandparents in Maine for the Christmas holiday. Since my FIL died just before Christmas, I flew back by myself to keep my wife company who a) is Jewish so typically doesn't come on this trip (plus, peace & quiet at home! ) and b) didn't really want to see anyone for obvious reasons.

Anyway, while I was back in Chicago I knew my sister was going to come up with her family to visit my folks while my boys were there. I knew as of this summer that she was unvaccinated (which is, IMO, irresponsible, as she has two young kids, her husband has MS, and she's obese). So, I asked if she was still unvaccinated. She said yes. I asked if she'd wear a mask around my kids. She said no. I asked her not to come. She agreed.

Bullet. Dodged. Because her husband tested positive a few days later, and then her son, and now I hear she's not feeling well.

I should note that she's anti-vax and anti-mask because of the evangelical church she attends, where the pastor (or whatever) preaches all that. My wife noted a post on FB from just before Christmas of my sister singing in the church choir with everyone unmasked.

Anyway, I'm hoping her husband (who I like), her kids, and my parents (she came up a couple of days after I left with my boys, so she probably exposed them) are all OK. I hope she gets intubated as a lesson in the idiocy of relying on religious leaders for medical advice.

The whole thing is stupid and I want it all to end.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #9678
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still don't understand the anti-vax as religion angle. I have attended a few churches, and never has vaccination doctrine ever come up.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #9679
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I still don't understand the anti-vax as religion angle. I have attended a few churches, and never has vaccination doctrine ever come up.

Just people using religion as a cover for their political beliefs.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #9680
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Just people using religion as a cover for their political beliefs.

I mean, I get it. Really it's just another thing that seems to chip away at the legitimacy of religion. Especially the more it is accepted.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #9681
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think religious people claim vaccines are created from aborted fetuses, you know, sanctity of life and all that...
Old 01-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #9682
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Both links above go into that The problem, if (!) exemption was for past infection, is simply that the australian government literally does not accept that as an exemption. Meaning the organisers, who were reportedly told so in November, created an exemption for playing that the federal government does not recognize for entering. Of course a whole bunch of other info is incomplete, including others getting an exemption (again, the process was anonymous, Djokovic chose to make him getting one public)

It’s crazy the Serbian government response to this - the PM and President are both doing news conferences on Djokovic.

I just want someone to ask them if something like the Serbian swimming federation gave an exemption to someone who didn’t qualify for the governmental requirements to enter Serbia, would they be Ok with that?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:08 PM   #9683
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
It’s crazy the Serbian government response to this - the PM and President are both doing news conferences on Djokovic.

I just want someone to ask them if something like the Serbian swimming federation gave an exemption to someone who didn’t qualify for the governmental requirements to enter Serbia, would they be Ok with that?

It really feels like a publicity stunt by them. I mean, Serbia doesn't exactly have a stellar track record in regards to people entering their country.

All Australia has to do is point to the scoreboard in regards to their COVID policy. They've embarrassed most of the world which is maybe where the vitriol comes from.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #9684
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It really feels like a publicity stunt by them. I mean, Serbia doesn't exactly have a stellar track record in regards to people entering their country.

However from what I hear the Serbs are fanatical about their showers.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #9685
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Besides the overlap of political beliefs and religious beliefs, my impression from Christian anti-vaxxers seems to be a rejection of the idea of "living in fear". I hear them talk about the idea that the Bible tells them explicitly to live in trust of Jesus and so they feel that it opposes their beliefs to "give in" to fear.

I think there's a personality component that underwrites both the political position and the religious one too: being opposed to doing new things, changing the status quo, and objecting to the way things are.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #9686
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

In the space of the last 24 hours I learned a couple of the folks I play D&D with have tested + for covid too, and like 3 others on my team at work were sick today (I haven't been in the same space with any of these folks for weeks FWIW) & the CEO sent out a company wide email about the number of reported sicknesses inside the company & within the carriers/companies that we work with over the next couple weeks. Overnight I went from no covid in my orbit to everything/everybody in my orbit covered with covid.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #9687
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I hear them talk about the idea that the Bible tells them explicitly to live in trust of Jesus and so they feel that it opposes their beliefs to "give in" to fear.

These the same people who buy gun upon gun?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #9688
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Besides the overlap of political beliefs and religious beliefs, my impression from Christian anti-vaxxers seems to be a rejection of the idea of "living in fear". I hear them talk about the idea that the Bible tells them explicitly to live in trust of Jesus and so they feel that it opposes their beliefs to "give in" to fear.

I think there's a personality component that underwrites both the political position and the religious one too: being opposed to doing new things, changing the status quo, and objecting to the way things are.

Same people who have meltdowns over teaching about slavery in schools and seeing a gay couple kiss on TV. Their whole life is living in fear.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:42 PM   #9689
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, the hypocrisy is real. But they somehow divide the two. Owning guns is being prepared! Now they don't have to be scared! Simply wearing a piece of cloth on your mask somehow is letting fear run your life. I don't know, I don't get it, but I think that's what they feel their reasoning is. The pastors tell them which things to be scared about I guess.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #9690
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Reminds me of a conversation in here where a former member insisted he refused to live his life in fear, because he had stowed a handgun every 5 feet in his house.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #9691
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Reminds me of a conversation in here where a former member insisted he refused to live his life in fear, because he had stowed a handgun every 5 feet in his house.

I remember that well.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:54 AM   #9692
Edward64
Head Coach

Israel started on 4th dose for some front liners. Fauci saying need to monitor how effective 3rd dose is first before talking about 4th dose.

I think western countries and a few others can keep up the pace with production/purchase & delivery but rest of world won't be able to.

Not going to complain about getting semi-annual booster shot. But I wish it was more convenient. I can get a flu-shot during flu season without making an appointment. It would be great if I could walk into CVS anytime and get a shot for Covid.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:56 AM   #9693
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

If you need to have a handgun every 5 feet in your house, it would seem to me like that's the exact definition of living in fear!

If someone breaks into my house, I watched all 4 seasons of Cobra Kai and I am sure I could unleash fury.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #9694
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, the hypocrisy is real. But they somehow divide the two. Owning guns is being prepared! Now they don't have to be scared! Simply wearing a piece of cloth on your mask somehow is letting fear run your life. I don't know, I don't get it, but I think that's what they feel their reasoning is. The pastors tell them which things to be scared about I guess.

It's simpler than that. It's just tribal/cultural. Guns are a symbol of the in-tribe, so they are OK. Masks are a symbol of the out-tribe, so they are bad. But you can't say that, so you come up with the "Live in fear" line. It has nothing to do with fear.

If you can remember way way back to the pre-Delta days, most of us were stopping wearing masks b/c you were either vaxxed and didn't need one or unvaxxed and hadn't ever been wearing one. Which meant that suddenly the MAGA crowd couldn't use being un-masked as their way of showing tribal affiliation. Because maybe being unmasked just meant that you were, gasp, vaccinated. The issue was going away, which was great news for the 80% of us who hated the whole thing and just wanted things to be normal again.

But for the 20%? That is when you started seeing the folks making the yellow Stars of David with "Unvaxxed" on them. They needed to keep the tribal wars going. That all ended up going away with Delta b/c it started making sense to mask again. So they could just unmask to show their tribe.

It's not about fear. It's not about masks. It's not even about the virus. It's about in-team and out-team.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #9695
QuikSand
lolzcat

From the least-surprising-news file:

All US Cruises Have Confirmed or Suspected COVID on Board: CDC
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #9696
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

You could pay me enough to take a cruise.

But it would be around $100,000.

That people pay to go on them in 2022 is jaw dropping.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #9697
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I got my boostershot today. Yay, I guess?

Over here, the semi-lockdown since mid December after not quite yet a lockdown in late November, it was either insufficient or came too late to avoid the mass spread of the omicron variant. Today, we had a nationwide positive test record was reported. It spiked up to 35K, roughly 10K more than the previous record. As if the end isn't in sight yet. But at the same time the hospitalization and fatality numbers are decreasing, almost suggesting that part of this wave is on the decline. It feels tricky to think, let alone say or write it, but could this new variant be the start of the fade out of COVID-19?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 01-07-2022 at 01:21 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #9698
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
You could pay me enough to take a cruise.

But it would be around $100,000.

That people pay to go on them in 2022 is jaw dropping.

I suspect you're just old enough to remember such a thing as a "chicken pox party" for kids? I think the denier group has adopted that approach. We're all gonna get it, most people seem fine, surf's up dude.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #9699
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not a denier, but I'm not all *that* far from that approach. I.e., I expect to get omicron multiple times. Not because I want to, but it's contagious enough that it can't reasonably be avoided IMO. 'Cost of living', as it were.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #9700
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

You could say the same thing about every school and office building at this point.