Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will Carolina pick Luck at #1 ?
yes 66 73.33%
no 12 13.33%
pick another player 2 2.22%
trade down 10 11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #51
Subby
lolzcat

Brian Brohm just set his degree on fire.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #52
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Are you guys really serious?

Even if there IS a rookie cap, what is the BENEFIT to staying. Don't put that "if an NFL career" doesn't work out carrot out there.

Let's say by some chance Luck needs something to fallback on if he is 3 years and done and can't manage the millions he'll get in a bonus......

Do you really think that Andrew Luck's backup life is significantly different if he finishes his 4th year at Stanford or goes to the NFL and finishes his degree wherever in the offseason?!

You asked if there was a logical reason for him staying. There is, you just don't like it. When you're already financially secure, things like "I'd like to take another shot at winning a championship with my friends" start to make sense.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #53
spleen1015
Coordinator

Do we really understand the circumstances of his life?

The kids wants to stay. Good for him.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #54
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You asked if there was a logical reason for him staying. There is, you just don't like it. When you're already financially secure, things like "I'd like to take another shot at winning a championship with my friends" start to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

No. But from the perspective of an economist of you're the surefire #1 overall pick and lockout, rookie cap or not, you're guaranteed tens of millions of dollars for doing nothing save for existing (or you know, failing the Wonderlic or a bad workout or Len Bias or something unlikely) then you take the money on the table rather than gamble it away.

No one begrudges the kid his choices, but it's a conversation in the gee whiz public domain and we have an example of a guy who's already done that and it's unlikely to work out very well for him (read: Jake Locker) and while he might have few regrets, there aren't many lotto jackpot opportunities like that before you turn 25 and so, common sense says take it if you can.

Shrug.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #56
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Not every decision is fueled by economics.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #57
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Not every decision is fueled by economics.

True, but most smart decisions are.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #58
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

wow, im shocked... this guy should lose his #1 pick status just for being a frigging moron.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Like hitching your future to Chad Henne?

Last edited by Logan : 01-06-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #60
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I guess your definition of smart might not be the same as his, or mine, or others.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #61
spleen1015
Coordinator

There is the chance that there is no NFL season next year right? Maybe just a strike shortened season?

I doubt there will be, but would you rather play another year in college or go pro and not play at all which also means you don't get paid.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #62
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I love that he is staying.

Why come back? Maybe he wants to finish what he started. No matter who the coach is (unless it's RR) he'll be on a team that will be a contender to win a national championship next season. He'll also be the frontrunner for that trophy I see almost every day when I come to work. Maybe he truly wants to get a degree also. It's his life. He'll be extremely wealthy in a few years anyway.

I am sure he will be taking out one of those insurance policies against a career threatening injury.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I dunno, the decision to stay in school worked out pretty good for Sam Bradford.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #64
Logan
Head Coach

Peyton Manning.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #65
Subby
lolzcat

I like that he is staying - I always like to see guys come back. Not sure why.

That said (grrr) it's a huge risk. Circumstances are somewhat different in this particular situation, however.

$70k a year is all you need for happiness, baby!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #66
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Leinhart stayed, too. Of course, that's easily explained several years later...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #67
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I dunno, the decision to stay in school worked out pretty good for Sam Bradford.

Because he got injured in his first game and did not put out more tape for scouts to over-scrutinize (a la Leinert).

I'm not saying Luck is going to be Leinert, but even quarterbacks who still end up going #1 after coming back usually hurt themselves during their senior season.

For example, Peyton Manning would have been the no-brainer #1 pick by the Jets in 1997, but he was in a neck-and-neck tie with Ryan Leaf in 1998. Similarly, Bradford was not the consensus #1 pick this time last year as many thought Suh should go to the Lions as the best overall player.

Why open up Pandora's Box? Go now when you can only hurt yourself next season in college.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Even if the rookie cap goes into effect now, he should want to come out sooner to start working towards the 2nd contract where the big money is going to be.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #69
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Because he got injured in his first game and did not put out more tape for scouts to over-scrutinize (a la Leinert).

That's an enormous assumption you're making. Bradford was considered up in the air as a prospect because of his injury until he started having private workouts and everyone fell in love with him. You really think people would have reacted differently to those workouts just because they had more tape on him prior? And what would have been seen in those tapes that weren't seen in the NFL on his way to Rookie of the Year?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #70
bronconick
College Starter

The lockout makes the whole decision about coming out early difficult, especially knowing you'll be considered the "Savior" of a franchise hiring a new coach. The usual view is that rookies that hold out and don't get a lot of time in their opening training camp will struggle more than those who get in on or close to on time.

With the lockout, that might the scenario for *every* rookie coming out. Say a deal doesn't get done until September, with the idea of an abbreviated 12 game season starting in October. You've got three weeks to get deals signed, players into camp, new coaches to put their systems in.

If the rookie cap is already in place, he's not making any more or less in the first contract, and having a full camp and a "normal" NFL season may be better for you for getting a good second contract.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #71
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Thinking about the situation, I have to think that all the unknowns surrounding what happens if he came out had to factor in. True, at Stanford he's not sure who will be the coach next season, but the program seems like it will be solid no matter who is wearing the headset it is a lot more stable situation than he would likely face if he came out.

Will there be an NFL season? Who will be the coach? Coordinator? QB coach? WR's? (Even Steve Smith is questionable to return to Carolina.)

The only thing he's really missing out on by not coming out now is a really nice payday this year. Not everybody has Maurice Clarett Syndrome.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #72
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
That's an enormous assumption you're making. Bradford was considered up in the air as a prospect because of his injury until he started having private workouts and everyone fell in love with him. You really think people would have reacted differently to those workouts just because they had more tape on him prior? And what would have been seen in those tapes that weren't seen in the NFL on his way to Rookie of the Year?

I really don't think it's an enormous assumption. Every player, including Luck, has flaws. NFL scouts are more likely to pick up on those flaws watching tape than watching a controlled workout. The more tape they have, the more obvious those flaws become.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #73
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It may be that his people talked to the Panthers, found out that Carolina was almost certainly going to take him, and decided to roll the dice.

Carolina is a small market with a bad team and a new coach and an owner who wants to pinch pennies. Really one of the worst situations for a new QB to go into, IMO.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #74
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Thinking about the situation, I have to think that all the unknowns surrounding what happens if he came out had to factor in. True, at Stanford he's not sure who will be the coach next season, but the program seems like it will be solid no matter who is wearing the headset it is a lot more stable situation than he would likely face if he came out.

Will there be an NFL season? Who will be the coach? Coordinator? QB coach? WR's? (Even Steve Smith is questionable to return to Carolina.)

The only thing he's really missing out on by not coming out now is a really nice payday this year. Not everybody has Maurice Clarett Syndrome.

Stanford loses a lot more than just Harbaugh. They will lose 7 offensive starters and 7 defensive starters.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #75
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

As a college football fan, I can get behind his decision here.

As a UCLA fan...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #76
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays simply because he doesn't want to play in Carolina. In fact, if he does come out, I'd almost expect to see him pull a John Elway/Eli Manning bit and demand to play for a particular team. For instance, if the 49ers hire Harbaugh, I could very well see a trade in which the Panthers pick Luck, and then trade his rights to SF with the understanding that the 49ers would draft XYZ player and hand over some draft picks.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 01-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #77
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
if the 49ers hire Harbaugh

That ship is pulling out of the harbor.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is such a fucking stupid decision.

Go pro, and if the NFL really locks out next season, go finish your degree.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #79
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

It's official...he's staying at Stanford.

Andrew Luck skipping NFL draft, will return to Stanford Cardinal - ESPN
Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #80
molson
General Manager

Maybe he likes his life right now. Good for him.

I'm going to guess that he's not going to end up eating out of garbage cans either way.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #81
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Carolina is such a dumpster fire right now, I'm not sure I blame him. Would you want to be a rookie/savior QB in this situation?

Quote:
The Panthers have 28 players who are not under contract for next season, assuming there is a next season.

Richardson has presided over cost-cutting in the past year with the Panthers. He oversaw the purge of numerous veterans with few experienced players brought in to replace them. He acknowledged Tuesday he didn't let coach John Fox go after last season in part because he and his staff made a combined $11.4 million this season.

Richardson also said he wouldn't sign any player to a new contract until a new CBA is reached.

"The reason is we're going to follow the CBA," Richardson said. "The CBA is something we're going to negotiate very hard for."
Panthers owner not optimistic on labor peace - Yahoo! News

Yeah, I'd want to start my NFL career entering that disaster. Owner doesn't want to spend any money, lame duck coach, 28+ players unsigned, no 2nd round pick, only 5 total picks outside of Luck and the owner has said he's not planning on signing any big-name FAs.

Go to Carolina and get killed the first season with no OL, defense or receivers - sounds like a blast. Heck, if Luck came out he'd probably be hoping for a lockout to avoid the beating he figured to take. Staying at school makes sense and given the crazy grades he's been given, it's almost inconceivable to see him dropping out of the top 5.

Think of it this way - they were 2-14 this season, figure to have fewer quality players, 1 pick (outside of Luck) in the first 3 rounds, no plan on signing FAs and a coach who's completely lost the team. I think even Jon Kitna's beating in his first season in Seattle is tame compared to what would face Luck.

Last edited by Arles : 01-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #82
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with Luck here? He gets to go back to Stanford and avoids the mess of Carolina. Smart guy.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hilarious. Since I first started checking this thread out following Luck's announcement, someone has voted "Yes" in the poll.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #84
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Yeah, I'd want to start my NFL career entering that disaster. Owner doesn't want to spend any money, lame duck coach, 28+ players unsigned, no 2nd round pick, only 5 total picks outside of Luck and the owner has said he's not planning on signing any big-name FAs.

Think of it this way - they were 2-14 this season, figure to have fewer quality players, 1 pick (outside of Luck) in the first 3 rounds, no plan on signing FAs and a coach who's completely lost the team. I think even Jon Kitna's beating in his first season in Seattle is tame compared to what would face Luck.

So.. what you're saying is, they have no 2nd round pick...

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #85
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I am sure he will be taking out one of those insurance policies against a career threatening injury.
If anyone needs that policy going into next season, it would be Jimmy Clausen
Old 01-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #86
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
So.. what you're saying is, they have no 2nd round pick...
They could have had multiple 1sts or 3rds like other rebuilding programs have had in recent seasons.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #87
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Or the draft-pick hording Patriots
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #88
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Carolina is such a dumpster fire right now, I'm not sure I blame him. Would you want to be a rookie/savior QB in this situation?

Panthers owner not optimistic on labor peace - Yahoo! News

Go to Carolina and get killed the first season with no OL, defense or receivers - sounds like a blast. Heck, if Luck came out he'd probably be hoping for a lockout to avoid the beating he figured to take. Staying at school makes sense and given the crazy grades he's been given, it's almost inconceivable to see him dropping out of the top 5.

If Carolina is such a mess, they might be picking #1 again next year.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #89
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
If anyone needs that policy going into next season, it would be Jimmy Clausen

Looks pretty stupid on Carolina's part to have practically rolled out the welcome mat for Luck now. So, Jimmy... about that whole "We're taking Luck #1 overall" thing... Um... the new coach never said that!"

It's ok. Carolina can just take Luck 1st overall next year. Or if he returns next year in 2012.

edit: dammit, shoulda read all the way down the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
If Carolina is such a mess, they might be picking #1 again next year.

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 01-06-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #90
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the Mayans are right about the 2012 Apocolypse, then Luck is going to be really pissed about missing that one year in the NFL.

Not really, he'll have much more fun during his senior year as THE man on campus than he would as a rookie in the NFL.

I give him credit. There are things in life that are more important than money. This actually makes me want to see the Eagles go 0-16 next year. He seems to be level headed to go along with everything else that he brings to the table.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #91
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just because he'd get drafted by the Panthers doesn't mean he'd have to play for them.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #92
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe he likes his life right now. Good for him.

I'm going to guess that he's not going to end up eating out of garbage cans either way.

+1
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #93
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

On the plus side, he does get another year of hanging out with the college ladies as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #94
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not really, he'll have much more fun during his senior year as THE man on campus than he would as a rookie in the NFL.

Scary note, since it appears to me those of you not following the Pac 10 closely don't know: Luck is a RS sophomore! He could stay in college for two more seasons.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #95
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Luck made a great decision. If anyone here has been to the Stanford campus, you might understand his decision a little more.

Not everyone is obsessed with money and being a #1 pick. Just because it isn't the decision you'd make doesn't make it the wrong one for him.

Now keep shoveling the Doritos into your grills and tell Andrew Luck how stupid he is.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #96
Danny
Head Coach

It would be funny if Caroline picked #1 again next year and he decided to stay again.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

2 words come to mind right now: Jake. Locker.

FTR, I don't think this is a bad call by Luck, but only because of the lockout. You can't go higher than #1 overall.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #98
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
2 words come to mind right now: Jake. Locker.

Two more words: Completely. Different.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #99
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's his decision to make and while I wouldn't have made it, Luck took a pretty big gamble in Stanford when he committed out of HS and that has worked out well.

Comparing Luck to Locker is about as accurate as comparing Luck to Bradford
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Two more words: Completely. Different.

Not really. Anything can happen, from injury to, well, whatever.

Like I said, I don't think it's a horrible call on his part because of the labor situation, but given the uncertainty with the coaching situation at Stanford, I wouldn't put the odds of him being #1 overall a year from now at much better than 50-50.