Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #51
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

in the end, the next 3 weeks the bengals have the 49s, and the ravens both who are worse teams with worse QB options than the bengals, with the Broncos in the middle, who are a slightly less good (but still very good) team with a slightly better QB (albeit shitty)...so its hope dalton can be back in time for the playoffs....and a bye is not too far to pray about.

GIT R DUN!!!

claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #52
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

ESPN is reporting that the teams thinks Andy is done for the year.

It sucks to be a Bengals fan.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #53
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just seeing McCarron today, it looks like he throws a really good ball. Not that it's much consolation right now, but I think he'll be better than say Landry Jones.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #54
Thomkal
Head Coach

Seattle also reporting Rawls is done for the year with a broken ankle.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #55
Thomkal
Head Coach

Brian Hartline broke his collarbone and out for the rest of the year in Cleveland
Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jonathan Stewart and Greg Olsen were hurt in the Carolina game. No ACL damage with Olsen, don't know with Stewart yet. If both of those guys are hurt, have to think CAR starts to lose games, regardless of their defense.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #57
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Jonathan Stewart and Greg Olsen were hurt in the Carolina game. No ACL damage with Olsen, don't know with Stewart yet. If both of those guys are hurt, have to think CAR starts to lose games, regardless of their defense.

Carolina lost a starting CB not named Josh Norman for the rest of the year. After seeing everything that happened to other contenders today, Carolina should probably feel pretty lucky.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #58
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Carolina lost a starting CB not named Josh Norman for the rest of the year. After seeing everything that happened to other contenders today, Carolina should probably feel pretty lucky.

whew glad its not Norman
Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #59
Butter
Coordinator

McCarron has the chance to be an Osweiler-level replacement. He may win a game or two, but he may also be terrible occasionally.

McCarron threw a couple of really awful picks, but also made some really good throws. That may be enough to beat the Niners and Ravens, if the Bengals can get their running game going.

Really, if Dalton can be back for the playoffs this is like any other year. Just get to the playoffs and see what happens. All the Bengals need is one loss from the Chiefs, Jets, and Steelers to clinch a berth. And really just one loss from the Steelers to win the division and get a home game.

Last edited by Butter : 12-14-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #60
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ouch. Sorry, Bengals fans.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So... About Osweiler getting than contract in the 15-18 million range...
As the most anti-Brock Osweiler poster here and someone who's argued vociferously when people thought he'd be good or hyping him after those first few games, I have to stick up for him now. He played the same exact game yesterday he did the first 3.5 weeks, but his team had multiple fumbles, the kicker missed a FG, Khalil Mack is a beast, and they lost a close game instead of winning a close, low-scoring game. Nothing should have changed in your assessment of him.

Andrew Luck now uncertain to return at all this season? That's a weird scroll across the bottom line. And fwiw, as long as we're taking QB's I think the Bengals will be fine with McCarron the next couple weeks. Tons of weapons, poor opponents. The idea they could miss the playoffs now is ludicrous - the Jets/Chiefs/Steelers aren't all going 3-0 while they go 0-3. And a win over Baltimore or a Steelers loss at either the Ravens or Browns gives them the division. Bengals need Dalton back to have a chance in the playoffs, but I don't even think any doctor in the world could tell you today if he'll be ready in a month.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-14-2015 at 02:13 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #62
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good news Bengals fans:

Dalton won't have surgery; return for playoffs hopeful - NFL.com
Old 12-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #63
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Well we just blew up teh Colts!

Bortles? 250 yards and 3:0. 114.6 rating
Hurns? 3 for 105 and 1 score
TE Thomas? 5 for 51 and 1 score
Robinson? Stymied, Colts tried to take him away, still got a score

Rushing, score, special teams score, defense score. They were just dominated by us. Yay Jags!!!

9 seasons ago:
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0612100jax.htm

Yesterday:
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1512130jax.htm

Coincidence?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #64
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Yes?

Although it is fun to imagine this is you and we're JUST. NOT. SEEING. THE CONNECTIONS.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-14-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to give you guys a name from the Jags. Only we know who he is right now, but damn is he good. In a few years, I would not be surprised if everyone will know him. LB Telvin Smith. Watch out league.

Telvin Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #67
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What makes those gloves the receivers use any more legal than stickum? Kind of shines a different light on some of those "miracle" receptions that have been happening the past few seasons.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm going to give you guys a name from the Jags. Only we know who he is right now, but damn is he good. In a few years, I would not be surprised if everyone will know him. LB Telvin Smith. Watch out league.

Please...he was an elite player in mobile Madden last season.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Okay. I don't play Madden though.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #70
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What makes those gloves the receivers use any more legal than stickum?
They're standardized so any player could have the same advantage.
Quote:
Kind of shines a different light on some of those "miracle" receptions that have been happening the past few seasons.
Yes and no. No way ODB makes that catch vs Dallas without the gloves, but no way that catch isn't extremely impressive and unique regardless.
Quote:

Not gonna claim I thought he was gonna be close to this good, but I really liked him at FSU. I'm guessing if he was 10-15 pounds heavier he would have been drafted a lot higher.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #71
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about the Miami all-time team and thought that would be very for my team:

Coach - Tom Coughlin
GM - David Caldwell

QB Mark Brunell
RB Fred Taylor
WR Jimmy Smith
WR Keenan McCardell
TE Mardedes Lewis
OT Tony Boselli
OT Leon Searcy
OG Chris Naeole
OG Vince Manuwai
C Brad Meester

K Josh Scobee
P Chris Hanson

DT Marcus Stroud
DT John Henderson
DE Tony Brackens
DE Gary Walker

LB Paul Poz OR Mike Peterson
LB Daryl Smith
LB Telvin Smith OR Kevin Hardy

CB Rashean Mathis
CB Aaron Beasley
FS Carnell Lake??
SS Donovan Darius

Returner - Montell Owens

The only real questions are whether or not Sen'Derrick Marks earns a DT Spot (not enough consistency yet, and no pro bowls), whether its Taylor or Jones-Drew at RB, and at the lesser spots you could make lots of arguments. Like OG, where we've not had great players. We've had a lot of solid but not amazing LB play. Since K Mike Hollis had a Pro Bowl, you might give him the nod, but I wouldn't. But certainly the new guard of Bortles/Robinson/Hurns/Linder/ and signee TE J., Thomas aren;t good enough yet.

EDITED to add GM Caldwell, because he has been downright amazing thus far. Caldwell is golden. DT Marks was a relative no name, and he came in and had one of the best seasons for a DT last year. CB Davon House, a dimeback for the Packers who was signed as a starter, has had 3 picks, 1 FF and recovery, and 19 pasdef this year thus far. After the franchise''s serious problems with WR Talent since Smith retired, he just went out and in one draft picked up Lee, Robinson, and from UFA Hurns and set things up wonderfully. Brandon Linder is the best O Line guy on the roster right now, and 5th round LB Telvin Smith looks like a great pickup. Aaron Colvin is a good nickel, he brought in lesser name folks to play and do well, he likes to try and identify players on the rise in FA, instead of the big names, and that's worked very well every time (other than RB Toby Gerhart, but we were under the cap, and in a post-Jones Drew malaise, and there's weren;t other options and the draft was weak on RB. And he chased RB Murray this past year.) Great stuff from the guy!

Coughlin was a solid drafter too, better than people think. he had a system, stuck to it, and drafted a bunch of Pro Bowlers - Taylor, Boselli, Brackens, Brady, Stroud, Henderson, etc. He had some solid mind and late round pickups too like 4th rounder DT Seth Payne and like 7th rounder FS Marlon McCree, traded for Brunell to get the team started, and signed FAs Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardeel who were no names. Smith was cut by the Cowboys after doing nothing, signed and released from camp by the Eagles, and then signed by the Jaguars after being out of football for a year. McCardell was a 12th round pick by the Redskins, cut after a year, signed by the Browns, was there for three years, and left very quietly as their 3rd/4th option with just a little over a 1000 yards in 3 seasons. Coughlin brought him in. So Coughlin signed and found on the FA Scrap heap Smith and McCardell, traded for Brunell, traded away Rob Johnson whom he drafted and developed for the 1st round pick that was Fred Taylor, and had success finding and identifying talent at multiple levels of the draft, with only one 1st round bust, and that was one late in teh 1st round, which he left his system to get (he always wanted high character, high motivation, high motor folks, and he felt he team was strong enough with them to make an exception) with R Jay Soward. He publicly admitted his mistake, and went back to doing what he did and grabbed Stroud and Henderson the next two drafts.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-15-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:35 AM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least MJD could be included as the returner. Owens has almost 0 returns of any kind. Although I'm thinking you meant Owens as a gunner maybe? Or as the fullback?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
At least MJD could be included as the returner. Owens has almost 0 returns of any kind. Although I'm thinking you meant Owens as a gunner maybe? Or as the fullback?

Sure. MJD as a returner works, he played that role early.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #74
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I am missing something and have been discussing this with someone at work; we can't figure it out. How on earth does Miami losing to the Giants last night clinch the division title for the Patriots? Miami isn't catching New England win or lose.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #75
molson
General Manager

If, after Sunday, the Patriots lost out and the Jets won out, the Jets could win on the 5th or 6th tiebreaker based on strength of victory or strength of schedule. Saw this somewhere else:

"In the scenario where the Pats lost out and the Jets won out, the Pats would have lost to the Dolphins once but the Jets would have beaten them twice. A Giants win contributes (# of Giants wins) to both team's SoV (since both beat the Giants) but a Dolphins win would have contributed (# of Dolphins wins) to the Pats but 2*(# of Dolphins wins) to the Jets. That difference-- between 1x the Giants win total and 2x the Dolphins win total, could have made a difference if a lot of other things played out right for the Jets. If all those things still happen, we'll move on to tie-breaker 6."

Last edited by molson : 12-15-2015 at 02:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #76
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I am missing something and have been discussing this with someone at work; we can't figure it out. How on earth does Miami losing to the Giants last night clinch the division title for the Patriots? Miami isn't catching New England win or lose.

Because for the Jets to catch the Patriots, they would have had to win three and the Patriots would have had to lose three. That would have set up a tie in head-to-head, division, and common games. Which leaves strength of victory.

Since to get to that point, New England would have to lose to Miami in week 17, and the Jets would have two wins over Miami, every Dolphins win helps their strength of victory. Turns out the Dolphins loss made it impossible for the Jets to beat the Patriots in SoV, clinching the division, as the Patriots hold an edge in the next tie-breaker, which is strength of schedule.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #77
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Found that after posting. Thank you. Seemed to be the first time I remember a team clinching something after a game due to strength of schedule tie breaker like that. (that kind of scenario)
Old 12-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #78
Thomkal
Head Coach

Injuries keep piling up for the Pats: Lost a DT (Easley) and of bigger news RB LaGarrette Blount both done for the season now.