Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #51
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I nominate Eaglesfan to be commish.

I second that. He's on my friends list so I know he's on his 360 often enough to be a commish...if he wants to be.

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It seems fairly easy from a technical standpoint, so I'm willing to do it. I'd also be cool with anyone on the sign-up list doing it.

Edit: We'll need 2 people to commish if we continue to have over 12 people interested.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-25-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
About 15-20 seconds per play, rarely almost the full 25.

That's probably a lot of it. Rarely do I use more than about 10 seconds or so. And the CPU uses maybe 5-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #54
Terps
College Prospect

I'm interested.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #55
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Here's a little sneak at what it looks like when more than one user in the same dynasty are recruiting the same kid.

http://www.vetzballin.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=102

Kinda cool if ya ask me. Hopefuly this guy will include a bunch of updates w/ screenshots as this first online dynasty thing moves along.

This is the same guy who posted the full game that was posted in the other "hype" thread a few days ago.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 05-26-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: ice weasels
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nice. I like that they highlight the user schools. That online dynasty is going to be written up on quite a few sites, and I'm looking forward to reading the various writeups.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #57
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've updated the list in the first post. Let me know if something is wrong.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #58
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This article was posted by one of the guys in the EA online dynasty. Some things to think about definetely.

http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=492

Quote:
Random Online Dynasty Thoughts Part One
Submitted on: 05/27/2008 by Bryan Clark
There are as many different ways to play a dynasty as there are to skin a cat. Probably more. At MaddenMania, we have always tended to have a majority of forum members that are interested in realism on some level. Some more than others, but a common thread on the NCAA and dynasty boards has always been that the more realistic and believable the dynasty is, the more dedicated the readership.

My preference has always been to take a team and build it up gradually, but along the way implement rules or strategies that keep me from dominating too much. In short, if a player takes over a small team in a big conference, turns it into Penn State, and has a 60-year career similar to that of Joe Paterno (ups and downs), I think that’s awesome. An unbeaten season is something to celebrate and feel good about. The down seasons make winning all more desirable. On the other hand, if a player takes over a bad team and wins a national championship within three years and starts winning it every year on a consistent basis, then why even read? I like to see CPU teams winning the Heisman, winning the National Championship, and continuing to recruit well even if I’m recruiting in the same state.

For this reason, I have always preferred to play in a smaller conference if possible. That way, when (if) I pull a TCU and become dominant in a small conference, I’m still a small fish in a big pond on the national level, and I’m not greatly changing the natural outcome of things right off the bat. In the case of a bigger conference, I prefer to play in a 2-division conference such as the Big 12 or SEC, so that even if I succeed in wresting power within the division, there’s still a team with an equal chance of dominance from the other division.

The single-division conferences have always seemed to peter out the fastest once you throw a human-controlled team into the mix. Once you beat down USC, for instance, the Pac-10 quickly falls apart and the teams never seem to recruit worth a damn, even though the 10 teams basically have California to themselves (think about how many BCS teams are recruiting in Texas each year).

I bring this up not to blither on about my personal preferences, but because I think other people care about these things as well. People want to see the action take some form of realism. They want a long-term challenge on some level, not to beat the cpu into submission early on, cut off their recruiting pipelines and pillage the women and children… But I can foresee a scenario in which 12 people start up a dynasty and dominate the Top 10 both in the standings and recruiting each year. To me that seems a little rank. To each his own, but here are some thoughts about the various types of online dynasty setups we’ll see and how big of a footprint each is likely to leave in the online dynasty.

The worst-case scenario: One or two user teams per conference – I know that in “The Tradition” (an online dynasty being organized at MaddenMania) we are hoping that the cpu teams are very competitive and hand us (or preferably, the other players) some losses. It’s all well and good and admirable to want that, but for the most part, after the first couple seasons I think it’s guaranteed that the human teams in most leagues will eventually be winning a much greater percentage of games (against the cpu) than those same teams would have otherwise won.

Quite quickly, the human controlled teams will begin to horde the best players and knock any dominant cpu-controlled teams from the top tier. The Heisman will go to a user-controlled team just about every year, not to mention the national championship.

The least realistic scenario of all (though probably fun) would be one in which 12 players take horrible non BCS conference teams and work their way to dominance within a few seasons, supplant several teams in BCS conferences and in the Top 25, etc… A mockery of the real-life game would quickly be made. I still say it would be fun, but that’s a King-Kong sized footprint being implanted.

The best-case scenario: All teams in one conference with recruiting rules – Not hard to follow, confusing rules; easy ones. For instance, if 10 guys took over the Pac-10 conference and had a cap on the number of players that could be recruited east of Arizona, you’d see true competition and true realism. Without recruiting rules, the "have nots" of the Pac-10 might quickly start to recruit more than their share of recruits from Texas, Florida, and other states that aren't typically a hotbed of talent for the Pac-10.

USC might be knocked from the ranks of the elite in this scenario, but so might they be in real life. Another Pac-10 team would likely take their place, and it would probably be a team from California, or possibly Washington/Oregon, which have good prestige and recruiting possibilities.

Nine games against human teams would guarantee losses for most of the human teams, and as long as games against Top-25 teams weren’t overdone, it’s likely that one or two CPU teams per year would go unbeaten and challenge for National title contention. Meantime, anybody who managed to go unbeaten against that kind of a meat-grinder schedule will have truly accomplished something more meaningful than gamerpoints.

Somewhere in the middle: What most leagues should strive for – Most leagues won’t have people who can schedule 9 human games a year. Most will be looking for 4-5 games max, in order to keep the pace up. With that being said, efforts can still be made to minimize the footprint of the league and maximize the realism. My league has four players in the Pac-10, four in the Big 12, and three in the Big Ten with the 12th human team being Notre Dame, who will play two or three of the Big Ten human-controlled teams each season.

All four teams in the Big 12 will play in the same conference in our league, ensuring that only one of those four user-controlled teams will be able to play in the Big 12 championship game (and thus the National Championship) in any season. Similarly, the Pac-10 teams consist of the four best Pac-10 teams that will each have to play three other good teams controlled by human opponents each year.

All taken into account, in my league it is likely that only two to four of the human-controlled teams will be in contention from week 11 and on in a given year. Teams in the ACC and SEC will be largely unaffected by our league. In my opinion, it will be important for us to not only schedule a realistic (low) number of games against SEC and ACC teams, but for the most part stay out of their recruiting regions as well, possibly with some simple recruiting rules. This should be enough to keep things very realistic, which is the #1 priority of my league.

What are you doing to prepare for these situations in your leagues?

I dunno that implementing recruiting rules right off the bat would be the best way to go. If we find that user controlled teams are getting 75% of the top 100 then maybe we could put some rules into effect.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 05-27-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #59
Galaxy
Coordinator

Are you allowed to get offers and fired in the online dynasty?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #60
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Are you allowed to get offers and fired in the online dynasty?

Great question. It would kind of suck if you were permanently locked into a program.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #61
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure you have the option of turning that off even in single player dynasties...so I would imagine it wouldn't be any diff for online dynasties.

Although I could be completely wrong.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #62
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Great question. It would kind of suck if you were permanently locked into a program.

It would cool, I think, if everyone started in a low-rank conference (Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA, ect.) then you have to work your way up.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #63
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Do the bumpty bump

uh uh

Do the bumpty bump

Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

Apparently from reading the threads, you don't get offered jobs and you don't get fired. However, the commish can re-assign any person's team. So, if we wanted to simulate job movement, we'd have to come up with criteria for it and have the commish manually do it. I can see their point in that it may piss off a lot of people if they put a few years into an online league and they were suddenly fired.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #65
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I might be in to commish the second league still if we need someone.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #66
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I ended up trading in my 360, going with a PS3 now.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #67
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hopefully I'll have an internet connection by the time this game comes out. I believe I will, but since we're moving in on July 3rd and I don't know what high speed internet services are offered in Lawton, OK, I'm not entirely sure. I'll definitely need an internet connection for work though.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #68
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Can I ask a complete n00b question? I've never played against anyone online -- do you have to have a paid Xbox Live account to play in the online dynasty?

Regardless, I'd be interested in joining up and giving this a whirl. I'm on vacation the week it's coming out and I will play the heck out of it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #69
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Can I ask a complete n00b question? I've never played against anyone online -- do you have to have a paid Xbox Live account to play in the online dynasty?

Regardless, I'd be interested in joining up and giving this a whirl. I'm on vacation the week it's coming out and I will play the heck out of it.

Yeah you need the gold membership to play online. I'd suggest going to 7-11 and buying a month XBL card for like 8 bucks and give it a whirl. You don't need to give them your credit card, just use the code in the back and see how you feel.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #70
Kodos
Resident Alien

I believe GTA IV also has a free month's membership in the box if you get it.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #71
CraigSca
Pro Starter

any truth to the rumors that PS3 and 360s can play in the same dynasty?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um, no.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #73
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

K, so far we have enough interest for 2 leagues, damn near full.

It sounds like EaglesFan is going to be commish of one league, and Detox will commish the other.

Commishes, how would you like to split up your league owners? Should we start picking teams now? Over at OS there are damn near a half dozen leagues where everybody has teams and the whole nine. Some of them have even planned out their schedule for the first five years.

Also...

How often do we advance? Should we require 1 game played plus your weekly recruiting every 5 days? 4 days? What will be the quarter length? Do we want teams all spread out? Do we want teams between a certain "overall" rating to keep things fair? Perhaps we should split the leagues up into two seperate threads, give them a name, and then start voting on what the rules will be? That way we can get this thing off the ground relatively easy after the game is released.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-11-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: poo on your face
Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #74
cmp
Pro Rookie

I would definitely be interested in joining up.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #75
Kodos
Resident Alien

New name?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #76
msuballa
n00b

I would like to join.
msuballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

34 posts in over 5 years? Not too shabby.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #78
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You have to make space for me.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #79
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sure we will have some folks drop out before we start. I will try to update the list in the first post later tonight.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm sure we will have some folks drop out before we start. I will try to update the list in the first post later tonight.

Yep, that is why I think it may be too early to start dividing up teams.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #81
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Very true.

I'm definitely in if there are no gamebreaking bugs (don't think the pass rush will be a gamebreaker for me). But if there are 9 TO's/game, 5 blocked kicks/game, etc. then this game is getting traded right back in.

I know the leagues can hold 12, but maybe it would work better to do (for example) 4 leagues of 6?

Also, do we want to do all one-conference (don't think that's a good idea) or do we want to do 2-3 players spread across 4-6 BCS conferences? That way we could have several users in each conference competing for the championship. We'd still have 8-10 games per year vs the AI and 2-4 games per year vs humans. Much easier to schedule. I think that might work pretty well. Especially if you set a ratings limit. I think like 81-89 or something would give us a solid pool to choose from in the BCS conferences.

We'll see. So much potential in this thing...please let the game be good...please please please please...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #82
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as schedule, I feel like every 5 days would be perfect to get a game and recruiting done but if people all get done in 3 days, I'd happily advance. Nothing less then 3 though, so we don't get mass burnout.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #83
RedKingGold
College Starter

Still in. Got my Xbox fixed up and everything.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #84
Ironhead
College Prospect

Go ahead and change me from a maybe to definite.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #85
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I want in.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #86
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Very true.

I'm definitely in if there are no gamebreaking bugs (don't think the pass rush will be a gamebreaker for me). But if there are 9 TO's/game, 5 blocked kicks/game, etc. then this game is getting traded right back in.

I know the leagues can hold 12, but maybe it would work better to do (for example) 4 leagues of 6?

Also, do we want to do all one-conference (don't think that's a good idea) or do we want to do 2-3 players spread across 4-6 BCS conferences? That way we could have several users in each conference competing for the championship. We'd still have 8-10 games per year vs the AI and 2-4 games per year vs humans. Much easier to schedule. I think that might work pretty well. Especially if you set a ratings limit. I think like 81-89 or something would give us a solid pool to choose from in the BCS conferences.

We'll see. So much potential in this thing...please let the game be good...please please please please...

Why 4 teams of 6? I think the idea of an online dynasty is to play more people. I say fill them up as much as you have.

I think the real challenge would be taking over crappy teams who need to be rebuilt.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #87
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm leaning more towards teams with a rating of 70-79. It's too easy to take an 89 team and go 36-0 in your first 3 years. As far as owners per league, I don't understand why we would do any less than the 12 alloted. With a 12 person league, If someone drops, then we still have 11. If there are only 6 per league and 1, or even 2 have to drop, then there is a much more likely chance the league will just fold. I'm subscribing to detox's advance schedule.

I'm definetely in. No questiosn asked. It doesn't sound like there are any gamebreaking bugs in this years version. Last years was a blast (I adjusted the sliders so there weren't so many easy picks) and quite frankly I don't think they made enough changes to the engine this year for there to be any game breakers. I know there are some people on here like me, who are 100% for sure in. I also know there are some people who would like to play the game for a bit and decide if they want to give this a try. Speaking for myself only, I would much rather be in a league with 11 other guys who are die hards too...as apposed to 6 die hards and 5 guys who are on the fence but are looking for reasons to trade the game in. So far, just from browsing through this thread, it looks like the following people are definetely in.

DeToxRox (est) - Commish volunteer
Ironhead (est)
EaglesFan (cst) - Commish nomination
Kodos (est)
Raiders Army
Galaxy
Cartman (cst)
RedKingGold
Mike1409 (est)
Hell Atlantic (est)
cmp (est)
Wade Moore (est)
Kingsnebwsu (est)
bhlloy (pst)
SirFozzie (est)
KWhit (est)
Logan (est)
Sun Tzu (pst)

Most of the other people have mentioned at some point that they are interested or want in, but haven't really responded since. I'm sure most will respond when the release gets closer. If I missed you...please let me know.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-12-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I edit my posts entirely too much...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #88
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I am definitely in. Somehow I overlooked this thread until a couple of days ago.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #89
Galaxy
Coordinator

Would we develop a criteria to allow for "promotions"?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #90
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
So far, just from browsing through this thread, it looks like the following people are definetely in.

DeToxRox - Commish volunteer
Ironhead
EaglesFan - Commish nomination
Kodos
Raiders Army
Galaxy
Cartman
Sun Tzu

Most of the other people have mentioned at some point that they are interested or want in, but haven't really responded since. I'm sure most will respond when the release gets closer. If I missed you...please let me know.

Um...hi! (see above)

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #91
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Would we develop a criteria to allow for "promotions"?

What?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

This isn't soccer, man!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #93
DeToxRox
Head Coach

One thought is we break this up by time zone so we can have somewhat sane hours to play. If its a majority east time zone guys maybe we see who can play late and put them with west coast guys, etc. Just a way to keep everyone on the same schedule.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #94
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Galaxy was referring to the developer's comments that you can't be fired, which has most people on OS assuming you can't get offered a better job either. The question of criteria for us "assigning" better jobs is going to be tricky. If we make it win based, which would make the most sense, are we going to be just making it much harder to beat the best players in the league as they will be the ones who move up the coaching ladder the quickest? Also, if we do assign better jobs, we have to determine how much better the new job should be? There are other issues, but those are the 2 that stick out the most.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
One thought is we break this up by time zone so we can have somewhat sane hours to play. If its a majority east time zone guys maybe we see who can play late and put them with west coast guys, etc. Just a way to keep everyone on the same schedule.

Agreed that this would make the most sense. Either that, or go by weekends/week day availability. I'm much more available on the weekend, but can get in a game one night a week during the week as well.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #96
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Agreed that this would make the most sense. Either that, or go by weekends/week day availability. I'm much more available on the weekend, but can get in a game one night a week during the week as well.

I want in! I agree if we can get a set time of availability for each person, it would make playing the games much easier.

I am usually avaiable in the evenings during the week. I can play on the weekends too but don't want to have to play football when there is football on TV!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #97
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

We could assign the leagues based on time zones.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-12-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #98
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Galaxy was referring to the developer's comments that you can't be fired, which has most people on OS assuming you can't get offered a better job either. The question of criteria for us "assigning" better jobs is going to be tricky. If we make it win based, which would make the most sense, are we going to be just making it much harder to beat the best players in the league as they will be the ones who move up the coaching ladder the quickest? Also, if we do assign better jobs, we have to determine how much better the new job should be? There are other issues, but those are the 2 that stick out the most.

Interesting points. I think part of it is where do we start (the teams).
Old 06-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #99
Anthony
Banned

in

i'm Eastern time zone but stay up late (12am-1am sometimes) so i can play with a wide range of fellas.

mmmmm.

Last edited by Anthony : 06-12-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #100
Galaxy
Coordinator

How long will games be?