Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #51
molson
General Manager

HGH was banned then, but they didn't test for it until more recently. Rodney Harrison got suspended for HGH in 2007. He admitted using to the commissioner.

Last edited by molson : 12-26-2015 at 10:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #52
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
HGH was banned then, but they didn't test for it until more recently. Rodney Harrison got suspended for HGH in 2007. He admitted using to the commissioner.

Okay. Misunderstanding on my part then.

Be a shame for a Hall of Fame career to end this way.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #53
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
It wasn't banned by the NFL until 2011 according to the article, which is when it places Manning getting treatments.
Hahaha, CAN'T WAIT until people start trying to justify things like this (IF true/corroborated). Peyton Manning should 100% be doing "HGH", and if anything when I saw it was Peyton, Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman, Mike Tyson etc named I thought it might be a false flag operation...

It's just a very weird place because "steroids" like the East Germans gave their athletes were clearly terrible long term, but these drugs don't have those side effects as far as we know, and could potentially really benefit society as a whole. (Just like Tommy John and ACL injuries etc have shortened recovery times for the hoi polloi). And not only are these drugs potentially beneficial, but nobody knows how to test for them period. "Designer" drugs or whatever you want to call them don't put a marker in your system, they just raise certain testable things above measurable benchmarks, but there's never any proof, just confidence intervals and suspicion.

Where do people want to go with this? 99% of people have testosterone levels (or whatever) below a certain threshold, but 99% of people aren't in the NFL... You gonna tell a player he's doing "steroids" because his white blood cell count or his O2 level is out of the normal distribution?

tl;dr Fuck Peyton Manning, give me what Tom Brady is taking.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-27-2015 at 04:59 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #54
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, it is time to move past the chip Kelly experiment. I am so over this. He is so out of his depth.

Go Seahawks!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #55
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Okay, it is time to move past the chip Kelly experiment. I am so over this. He is so out of his depth.

Go Seahawks!

My football fan friends who are fans of non-Eagles teams have a general sense of "maybe the Kelly thing isn't working, but he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt."

All my friends who are huge Eagles fans and really follow the team all agree 100% that they hate Kelly and HE MUST GO.

No matter how good the media gets at getting us insider views of teams, there is still no substitute for being a fan and just watching the team week after week.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

Let's go beloved Cardinals! Have to see how badly the Matthieu injury hurts the defense, but hopefully they still have enough to win today and clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

I still am trying to understand what the hell happened at the end of the first half last night. Cousins was 100% trying to do the same thing on the earlier play before the Eagles took a timeout. There couldn't have been an actual play call sent in because that would mean Cousins overruled that. So the call was to spike it with 6 seconds left? They're that concerned about leaving 2 or 3 seconds left on the clock at the end of the half?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #58
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not a reliable source. Have already heard that the reporter was paid based on the "value" of the names in his report. May want to wait this one out for something credible before casting judgment.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #59
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I still am trying to understand what the hell happened at the end of the first half last night. Cousins was 100% trying to do the same thing on the earlier play before the Eagles took a timeout. There couldn't have been an actual play call sent in because that would mean Cousins overruled that. So the call was to spike it with 6 seconds left? They're that concerned about leaving 2 or 3 seconds left on the clock at the end of the half?

That was the strangest six seconds of football I have seen in a while.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #60
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
All my friends who are huge Eagles fans and really follow the team all agree 100% that they hate Kelly and HE MUST GO.

Most of mine are like that too. I'm more on the fence; the team scored 474 points last season. Somehow didn't make the playoffs, but that was their franchise high. This year hasn't been nearly as good, while the defense has been even worse. But I'd say give him another year.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quite the anti-climax in the NFC East. About a week ago we were still talking about a possible four-way tie and now the division champion is crowned before the week 16 Sunday games.

Edit: for non-Redskins fans that is.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 12-27-2015 at 11:33 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Most of mine are like that too. I'm more on the fence; the team scored 474 points last season. Somehow didn't make the playoffs, but that was their franchise high. This year hasn't been nearly as good, while the defense has been even worse. But I'd say give him another year.

I am with you. I think he deserves one more year, but he must bring in a mobile QB and get more offensive production next year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #63
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Seems like I broke this story seven weeks ago (post here) but I'll post it again for those too lazy to click the link.

Quote:
Peyton Manning over the past three seasons...

Prior to NFL HGH testing...
20 games, 555/817, 67.9%, 6770 yards, 12.2 ypc, 67 td, 13 int

Since HGH testing implemented...
20 games, 478/741, 64.5%' 5579 yards, 11.67 ypc, 36 td, 25 int

His career season at age 37 coming one year removed from neck surgery is starting to make a lot more sense. Especially knowing that Peyton had stem cell therapy and the recovery and healing process is more effective with HGH.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #64
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Which is a more relevant measure of an offense: points per offensive play or points per game? There are different ways to argue this.

The Eagles led the league in offensive plays run largely because of the pacing issue, and they also were close to the league lead in defensive plays. The same story this year (my numbers are only up to week 11). Play total ratios are not a reliable predictor of winning percentage (it's not terrible, but there are better ways).

However, as a strategy, hurry-up works nicely against some teams. I think they need a quarterback better suited to this offense (who knows, maybe even a run at RGIII) and a couple of players on defense.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #65
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

When Revis intercepts Brady, all is right with the world!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #66
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Nice to see Frank Gore revert to his 49ers form
Old 12-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Brady might kill my FF Championship!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #68
Radii
Head Coach

Good win for Atlanta, Julio Jones with a huge day and Carolina's offense was just out of sync. 14-1 but home field still isn't locked up quite yet.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #69
bhlloy
Coordinator

Um... Why would you ever kick to start OT?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #70
Radii
Head Coach

Watching the Pats screw up the coin toss and immediately lose in OT is beautiful.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #71
Thomkal
Head Coach

boy lots of choking by playoff teams-hope it doesn't spread to the Cards today.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #72
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have literally had a look of confusion on my face for the past 10 minutes about that Patriots coin toss debacle. There are at least three things about it that don't make any sense. I can't imagine how it happened, but it happened.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #73
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If my understanding is correct, the Colts need the Bengals to lose tomorrow in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #74
bhlloy
Coordinator

According to Slater that call came directly from Belichek and was double checked. So... he's either lying and calling out his coach who will cut his ass in a second, or Steelers fans are going to have an absolute meltdown
Old 12-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #75
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Love Zolak sucking off Belickick on what a great call kicking off was. He may be the worst color guy in the NFL.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #76
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
According to Slater that call came directly from Belichek and was double checked. So... he's either lying and calling out his coach who will cut his ass in a second, or Steelers fans are going to have an absolute meltdown
Belichick confirmed it. He said that he thought kicking was the "best thing to do." All right, then. So I saw Matthew Slater was confused after the ref said he elected to kick, but that's not where his confusion was. He was confused because he didn't realize that he couldn't choose to kick off AND choose which direction. The Patriots got what they intended to get. At least I'm not so confused anymore.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #77
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I don't understand why you would kickoff. What's the benefit, starting position if you stuff them?

Dumb.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-27-2015 at 03:49 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #78
bhlloy
Coordinator

I guess the logic is you stop them dead and then have a short field and have the FG to win it?
Old 12-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #79
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If my understanding is correct, the Colts need the Bengals to lose tomorrow in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.

The graph and at the end of this link makes my head hurt.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #80
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Good on Belichick for trusting his defense, I guess, but that smells like the ol' college football "always pick defense first" thing. In a sense, it's great if you know how many points you need to win the game, but of course, that doesn't work at all if you give up the touchdown. Bill Belichick is the last person's mind I could ever read, but if that's what he was going for, I guess I get it. You just never see it in the NFL.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #81
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

There was an incident I read about that happened in a sudden death game in the 60s or early 70s where a player said "we'll kick with the wind" or something along those lines on a very windy day. They intended to choose the side of the field, but instead said "we'll kick" first, and thus the other team got the ball, the wind, and iirc the story correctly, the win. I'll try to find that one.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #82
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The graph and at the end of this link makes my head hurt.

That graph is beautiful. When tiebreakers potentially come down to strength of victory, that is really the only way to cleanly visualize it.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #83
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Aha, actually he didn't cost them the game:

7 Biggest Gaffes in Sports History | Kizaz
Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #84
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
boy lots of choking by playoff teams-hope it doesn't spread to the Cards today.

Looks like Seattle and GB have been infected with "Choke-itis" as well.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #85
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Kick first or not, the Steelers have no one to blame but themselves by getting beat by Mallett and the Ravens. No Pats conspiracy can hide that!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Kick first or not, the Steelers have no one to blame but themselves by getting beat by Mallett and the Ravens. No Pats conspiracy can hide that!

what a strange season for Mallett.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

It was nice to see former Cards Tim Hightower back in the NFL after 3 years away due to injury.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #88
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, that 90 yard TD to Robinson probably just iced my loss in the Championship of my fantasy league. Unless David Johnson can get some serious garbage time points, I'm screwed.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #89
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't know why, but the Lyrica diabetic nerve pain commercials completely hypnotize my kids. They are playing in the front room ignoring football and other commercials. But the Lyrica commercials? Drop everything and pay 100% attention.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #90
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Green Bay is getting killed. Wow.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #91
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Arizona wants that 1 seed, man.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #92
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Isn't it time for the Packers to get Rodgers out of the game? They're down 38-8, he's getting hit damn near every time he drops back to pass, and the Packers still win the North if they beat Minnesota next week. For some reason, he's still in there. In my opinion, leaving him in the game is a more curious coaching decision than the Patriots kicking off to start overtime earlier.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #93
bhlloy
Coordinator

Rodgers and Palmer both. If they put Palmer back out there with his injury history...
Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #94
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
what a strange season for Mallett.

Rooting for the AR boys - Mallett and McFadden. Both did well today and hopefully both can re-energize their careers.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #95
Thomkal
Head Coach

woohoo beloved Cardinals! That was their best game all year, and I certainly didn't expect them to dominate the Packers. Now I'm kinda hoping to face them in the second round of the playoffs. Still can get the #1 seed too with a win and Carolina loss.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
There was an incident I read about that happened in a sudden death game in the 60s or early 70s where a player said "we'll kick with the wind" or something along those lines on a very windy day. They intended to choose the side of the field, but instead said "we'll kick" first, and thus the other team got the ball, the wind, and iirc the story correctly, the win. I'll try to find that one.

Yes was also remembering this story.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #97
Suicane75
Coordinator

Is it irrational that I want to murder, with my bare hands, everyone who does a fucking first down celebration?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #98
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Seems like a nuance a team captain should be aware of...

Of course the side of the field had nothing to do with the way the Jets stormed down the field in OT. The worse call for me was being ultra-conservative to end the first-half. That's just not the Bill Belichick I know and love.

Last edited by molson : 12-27-2015 at 08:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #99
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not a reliable source. Have already heard that the reporter was paid based on the "value" of the names in his report. May want to wait this one out for something credible before casting judgment.

Yeah, having a hard time believing this. If true, extremely disappointing. But it doesn't fit anything we know about Manning.

Will wait for more definitive/reliable information to surface.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #100
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

Philadelphia Eagles: Jason Peters sits self out to avoid injury - NFL - SI.com

there's also a link there about how Chip Kelly expects to stay with Philly.