Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2004, 01:06 PM   #51
Calis
College Starter

Far and away my favorite rap has been mentioned once or twice already, but I'll reiterate it. Blackalicious...great stuff, and far, far away from gangster rap.

Starting to really like what I've heard of Taleb Kweli also, but I've yet to grab the BlackStar album which is supposedly the best of it there...need to do that sometime.

Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #52
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, after several months, The Tipping Point remains among my front line playlist, and was the first thing I saved onto my recent MP3 player on my Treo phone. Mrs. Q has become a convert also. I think it's truly a great album - will be on some "all-time" lists one day.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #53
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Don't see Dilated Peoples mentioned here at all. Maybe not everyone's bag, but here's on of their songs and one of my all-time fav songs.

When Worst Comes to Worst
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #54
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Nas, JayZ, Kanye West, Common, and Mos Def are the best right now.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Great thread.

I've been listening to a lot of the new Beanie Sigel LP called "The B. Coming" It's hot..

I don't really like Ludacris, but a guy I read the other day made a good point about him and how he's underrated as an MC. He's commercial, no doubt, but his skills as a lyricist really aren't in dispute. "The Red Light District" seems to be more of the same from him. Sharp, witty lyrics and tight rhymes with over-the-top, but hot production and collaborations.

Boston-area DJ Clinton Sparks (no relation to Bubba) released this really hot and probably will go under the radar LP called Maybe You Been Brainwashed Vol. 1 and it's really hot.

M.I.A. is from London by way of Sri Lanka. Her first release called Arular is not the slick production you're used to hearing from US acts, but it's grimey with a ragga sound. The tracks to look at for are Sunshowers, which has a chorus that's a direct rip from Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band's track "Sunshower." Also, Galang and Bucky Done Gun is pretty hot.

[shameless plug]
I review music on my site all the time, and I have a really eclectic taste, so check it out.Here's a link. [/shameless plug]

As for listening to this stuff, I've been a member of Listen.com's Rhapsody for like 2 years or so. It's fantastic, because I can listen to generally everything that comes out, as it does or even before. The new Napster isn't bad, but the only good thing about it, is if you like to have the music on your computer, you can download a lot of the tracks from there - or once you buy them, you get them. With Rhapsody, you can burn CDs or stream their entire catalog that's availiable - but you can't download them (Though I've ripped my CDs once I make the before..)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-10-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #56
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
::responds with gangsta signs::

this is the funniest thing QS has ever wrote. bravo.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #57
st.cronin
General Manager

Blackalicious' Blazing Arrow is possibly my favorite cd ever.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #58
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

Nia ain't nothing to scoff at either.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #59
mhass
High School Varsity

I have a shuffle going right now with De La Soul and Tribe (andsome others). Hard to beat that stuff. The Low End Theory and 3 Feet High and Risin' belong in anyone's collection who like Roots.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #60
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Anyone shocked that this album got almost no mention during the Grammy's after Outkast (really Andre 3000) won last year? Don't Say Nuthin' was up for like best rap/hip-hop song, but that was it. Then again, considering they had "Let's Get Started", a clean remake commissioned for the NBA up for best song, I really shouldn't care.

As for the second part of the thread, last year J5 and Busta Rhymes were here in concert. J5 was amazing, Busta pretty weak. This year, Fabolous and Nas are coming, which will be interesting. I love both rappers, but I'm not sure how good they'll be live. And they have to follow the Dropkick Murphys, one of the best/most energetic live acts out there today, so that won't help.

For other albums that have come out since last time this thread was open, mainstream-wise, 50 and Eminem's albums were disappointments, but Game's was one of the best in years. Definitely not the same style as Roots/J5/Tribe though. For somthing that might be in the same sort of experimental production genre, Handsome Boy Modeling School (Dan the Automator and Kid Koala collaborating, with Del on a fair amount) put out another album which some people might want to check out. It's hit-or-miss, but the hits seem to differ based on who you talk to, and there's something for everyone there. Nas' double-album could have made an amazing album, but was too stretched out. Kanye West is producing/collaborating with a cousin or something named Consequence on an album coming out soon, and it seems really promising. For the fans of Q-Tip, he's on the Chemical Brothers single Galvanise, a pretty crazy break-dance oriented song. For Jewish reggae fans, Matisyahu is amazing. My favorite reggae artist other than Bob Marley. Atmosphere also put out an old double-album onto CD, which is amazing. Haven't really been listening to as much new rap/hip-hop, so I can't think of more off the top of my head.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #61
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

I highly recommend Gift Of Gab's solo album, "Fourth Dimensional Rocketships Going Up". Good stuff.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #62
QuikSand
lolzcat

Nice tidbit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
For Jewish reggae fans...

I'm not enough of a music fan, it seems, to have any context or this. So, I just laughed out loud when reading it. Forgive me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Anyone shocked that this album got almost no mention during the Grammy's after Outkast (really Andre 3000) won last year? Don't Say Nuthin' was up for like best rap/hip-hop song, but that was it. Then again, considering they had "Let's Get Started", a clean remake commissioned for the NBA up for best song, I really shouldn't care.

As for the second part of the thread, last year J5 and Busta Rhymes were here in concert. J5 was amazing, Busta pretty weak. This year, Fabolous and Nas are coming, which will be interesting. I love both rappers, but I'm not sure how good they'll be live. And they have to follow the Dropkick Murphys, one of the best/most energetic live acts out there today, so that won't help.

For other albums that have come out since last time this thread was open, mainstream-wise, 50 and Eminem's albums were disappointments, but Game's was one of the best in years. Definitely not the same style as Roots/J5/Tribe though. For somthing that might be in the same sort of experimental production genre, Handsome Boy Modeling School (Dan the Automator and Kid Koala collaborating, with Del on a fair amount) put out another album which some people might want to check out. It's hit-or-miss, but the hits seem to differ based on who you talk to, and there's something for everyone there. Nas' double-album could have made an amazing album, but was too stretched out. Kanye West is producing/collaborating with a cousin or something named Consequence on an album coming out soon, and it seems really promising. For the fans of Q-Tip, he's on the Chemical Brothers single Galvanise, a pretty crazy break-dance oriented song. For Jewish reggae fans, Matisyahu is amazing. My favorite reggae artist other than Bob Marley. Atmosphere also put out an old double-album onto CD, which is amazing. Haven't really been listening to as much new rap/hip-hop, so I can't think of more off the top of my head.

I heard a song by this Matisyahu guy on radio 1 on Sirius the other day. I know its a bit older, but man, he can really work the mic.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #64
tucker342
Pro Starter

Lets see where do I start....

Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Black Star, Pharoahe Monch... etc. I could go on and on
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #65
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitPersonality1
dola.

FYI. You don't have to be white to look "pathetically white" while flashing gangsta signs. Trust me.

I was just about to mention it, because I sound ridiculous cursing and throwing signs.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #66
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wow! There are already a number of groups I never heard of. Now I have to give these a try.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #67
timmae
College Starter

starting reading the thread and thought fritz was back... oh well.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #68
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I still suggest Quality Control by Jurassic 5 to anyone.

And recently I've dusted off some of my old Wu-Tang Clan and been listening to it quite heavily lately. They put out so much material from 93-98. Genius/GZA's Liquid Swords was easily the best "solo"* album any of them put out in my opinion, and overall is only second to Enter The 36 Chambers (their debut album). While certainly much more in the gangsta realm, they had a disctinct sound and were quite innovative. I also think they happened to have a collection of almost all the best rappers going at the time.

*They're all hardly solo, since they basically all appear on every album that was released under a solo name.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #69
Super Ugly
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

And recently I've dusted off some of my old Wu-Tang Clan and been listening to it quite heavily lately. They put out so much material from 93-98. Genius/GZA's Liquid Swords was easily the best "solo"* album any of them put out in my opinion, and overall is only second to Enter The 36 Chambers (their debut album). While certainly much more in the gangsta realm, they had a disctinct sound and were quite innovative. I also think they happened to have a collection of almost all the best rappers going at the time.

*They're all hardly solo, since they basically all appear on every album that was released under a solo name.

I loved Liquid Swords, and the Raekwon album too. Funny how they suddenly fell off the quality wagon with that second group album. I guess they put out more good records in the space of about three years than most artists do in a career.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #70
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly
I loved Liquid Swords, and the Raekwon album too. Funny how they suddenly fell off the quality wagon with that second group album. I guess they put out more good records in the space of about three years than most artists do in a career.

I assume you're talking about Cuban Linx. Along with Liquid Swords they are the undeniably two best albums outside the first Wu album. Critics and fans seem to agree on that. I don't disagree either.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #71
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I am by no means a big rap fan (I cannot stand gangsta rap bullshit), but The Roots are awesome. One of my favourite artists. I also like Mos Def and Talib Kweli, especialy when they combined for Black Star, that album is one of the best albums ever full stop.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #72
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

dola

Jurrasic 5 are another rap group I like.

Also I forgot to mention Roots Manuva. That guy is awesome also.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #73
Super Ugly
High School JV

Quote:
I assume you're talking about Cuban Linx. Along with Liquid Swords they are the undeniably two best albums outside the first Wu album. Critics and fans seem to agree on that. I don't disagree either.

Yeah, the song on Cuban Linx with Nas might be my all-time favourite hip hop track.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #74
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae
starting reading the thread and thought fritz was back... oh well.
oh well
Old 01-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #75
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I heard a song by this Matisyahu guy on radio 1 on Sirius the other day. I know its a bit older, but man, he can really work the mic.
Just in case anyone hasn't checked it out, here's Matisyahu's video from his song King Without a Crown. This is the song getting play around here. I'd have to say from the few other songs I've heard from him, its some good stuff. I generally enjoy reggae in rather small doses, but some of it is just so mind blowing for me. When I heard this guy was Jewish and white, I about went out of my mind.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #76
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm necrobumping this thread, because I ran across it today and it made me laugh.

Now rap threads usually just devolve into some asshole posting about how he doesn't like rap at all.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #77
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I'm necrobumping this thread, because I ran across it today and it made me laugh.

Now rap threads usually just devolve into some asshole posting about how he doesn't like rap at all.
Ehh... Bucc did it, he was just polite about it and people let it slip by instead of dwelling on it. I do recall loving QuiksandBot1.0's passive-aggressive title addendum.

I find it somewhat interesting how little respect/attention The Tipping Point gets these days. It's still easily my favorite Roots album, and definitely their most accessible, but it rarely seems to get mentioned, either when people are discussing their favorite albums or bringing up the Roots. It's almost like that accessibility makes people feel they should be talking about the "realer", earlier Roots albums.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote