Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT: The Roots (or, let's talk about our favorite rap artists)

My musical tastes are pretty eclectic, but I generally don't listen to a lot of music on the radio. So, I sometimes will just go out and buy music that I have read about, without listening to it in advance. (Yes, I'm a dinosaur who still actually pays for music)

This has been a hit or miss proposition for me in the ten years or so that this has been my main m.o. for music buying. I've stumbled across some things I really like (The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack and OutKast come to mind) and some things that weren't worth my investment of a few bucks (Never really liked Lauryn Hill, or Jamiroquai, for whatever reason).

Anyway... the latest splurge has me listening to the latest album from The Roots, The Tipping Point. From what I have read, The Roots have long been a tremendous live act that hasn't really translated well to studio recordings. But this album has been hailed as a brekaout for them, and I can see why.

Three times through the album, I'm prepared to call this the best rap music I have ever heard. No, that isn't the whole universe of rap, but I try to keep my options open and listen a bit. This is realy good stuff, musically. I don't knwo how "pure" it is in rap terms, but this is really good music.

Just a pitch to anyone else out there who appreciates a musical recommendation, and is at least open to listening to rap. This is really good stuff, potentially an album for the ages.

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-21-2004 at 08:34 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Kickstand's an OG, dawg.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
thanks quiky
Old 07-20-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quik, pick up "Quality Control" by Jurassic 5 and tell me you've ever heard a better rap album.

I seriously think you'd like it.

I've never been a big Roots fan, although I haven't anything beyond a single here and there in about 4 years. (I've hear "The Seed" about 8 billion times though, not sure if that is still their most recent release).

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-20-2004 at 10:31 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
rjolley
College Starter

I've always liked The Roots, mostly because they actually play instruments and have a "laid back" sound. They're one of a few acts who's album I'll buy without hearing a single song from it because I know I'll like what they put out.

You should try some of the other Philly artists like Musiq, Jill Scott, or Vivian Green. They're R&B, or Neo Soul if you must slot them, bu they have a nice sound as well. As for more rap in that vein, Slum Village, Black Eyed Peas, and Dialated Peoples have a good sound as well as Jurassic 5...though I've only heard a song or two from the later.

Last edited by rjolley : 07-20-2004 at 10:45 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Kickstand's an OG, dawg.

::responds with gangsta signs::
(looking pathetically white in doing so)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I haven't heard more of the new Roots' album other than the first single (Don't Say Nuthin') but I just want to second the Jurassic 5 recommendation. Quality Control is the first full-length album (they released one LP before that) and Power in Numbers, the second one, was a little more hit or miss. Both are easily among the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard and sound close to the Roots (although J5 has DJ's instead of live instruments.) Amazon probably has a number of clips you can listen to to see if its in your style. Some other bands/groups you might want to check out are 311 (I'm seeing them with the Roots opening in 3 days) Atmosphere and Brother Ali (more pure rap so maybe not your style but probably at least worth a listen.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I just want to second the Jurassic 5 recommendation. Quality Control is the first full-length album (they released one LP before that) and Power in Numbers, the second one, was a little more hit or miss. Both are easily among the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard and sound close to the Roots (although J5 has DJ's instead of live instruments.)

And Jurassic 5 doesn't just have DJ's, they have the two best DJ's I have ever heard. Hearing the stuff they put together gives you a very serious appreciation for serious turn-tablists. One of them (Cut Chemist) has done some solo stuff as well, and has done 1 track on each album ("Swing Set" on Quality Control).

I was a little disappointed with Power in Numbers, although some of it is excellent. The EP is obviously solid, but I think Quality Control is just about perfect.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #9
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

I second the recommendation of the Black-Eyed Peas. I'm not a huge rap fan and I like much of their stuff. Don't know much about the Roots or Jurassic 5. Looks like I have some more music too explore.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
::responds with gangsta signs::
(looking pathetically white in doing so)

dola.

FYI. You don't have to be white to look "pathetically white" while flashing gangsta signs. Trust me.

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 07-20-2004 at 11:19 AM.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #11
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Let me disagree with the consensus here:

Both the Jurassic 5 EP and Power In Numbers are better than Quality Control. Call me a heretic, but there's nothing that tops "A Day at the Races" or "Concrete Schoolyard".

The EP can be found generally cheap and is a great introduction to J5.

The Coup are another hip-hop/rap group I like, but if you don't want politics mixed with your rap, stay away. Myself, however, I could listen to "5 Million Ways to Kill a CEO" and "Me and Jesus the Pimp in a 79 Grenada Last Night" forever.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMassHokie

Both the Jurassic 5 EP and Power In Numbers are better than Quality Control. Call me a heretic, but there's nothing that tops "A Day at the Races" or "Concrete Schoolyard".

I'd really like to point out that he has stated he's going against the consensus. The absolute consensus is that Quality Control is the more solid full length (over Power in Numbers). In fact he's the only person I've ever seen disagree.

Quote:

The EP can be found generally cheap and is a great introduction to J5.
I don't disagre, but I just think QC is a better piece still.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #13
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Let me also throw may hat in the ring for J5. "Concrete Schoolyard" is probably my favorite rap/hip-hop song of all time.

Another group within the same vein that flies under the radar a bit is People Under the Stairs. The production is really quite good. I highly recommend them. Also check out Ugly Duckling's "Taste the Secret". Very creative and funny.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #14
3ric
College Starter

How's "A tribe called Quest" compared to J5 and Roots? I'll probably listen to samples from all three to form my own opinion, but any comments are welcome.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
How's "A tribe called Quest" compared to J5 and Roots? I'll probably listen to samples from all three to form my own opinion, but any comments are welcome.

They are certainly all in the same family of style. Above-average writing and performing, and zero gangsta content.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:57 PM   #16
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
They are certainly all in the same family of style. Above-average writing and performing, and zero gangsta content.

Would you consider "give you ice like Kobe, right" to be gangsta content? I LOVE that line!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #17
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
I think Tribe is a little more laid-back, J5 a little more beat-driven and uptempo, and the Roots more experimental and jazzish. But YMMV.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I think Tribe is a little more laid-back, J5 a little more beat-driven and uptempo, and the Roots more experimental and jazzish. But YMMV.

That's as simple yet accurate a description as you can find. Nice job Bishop.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:17 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Would you consider "give you ice like Kobe, right" to be gangsta content? I LOVE that line!
That's Kanye West, another very good producer but not quite in the same genre as The Roots (more straight hip-hop/rap than the experimental live instrument ensemble). And I was never sure whether it was "Give you ice like Kobe, right" or "Give you ice like Kobe[s] wife."
Old 07-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

mos def
talib kweli
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:12 PM   #21
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Let me throw out that when one sees close caption on movies when they are playing rap, it usually displays as thus: [rap music - indistinguishable]
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #22
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
My musical tastes are pretty eclectic, but I generally don't listen to a lot of music on the radio. So, I sometimes will just go out and buy music that I have read about, without listening to it in advance. (Yes, I'm a dinosaur who still actually pays for music)

This has been a hit or miss proposition for me in the ten years or so that this has been my main m.o. for music buying. I've stumbled across some things I really like (The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack and OutKast come to mind) and some things that weren't worth my investment of a few bucks (Never really liked Lauryn Hill, or Jamiroquai, for whatever reason).

Anyway... the latest splurge has me listening to the latest album from The Roots, The Tipping Point. From what I have read, The Roots have long been a tremendous live act that hasn't really translated well to studio recordings. But this album has been hailed as a brekaout for them, and I can see why.

Three times through the album, I'm prepared to call this the best rap music I have ever heard. No, that isn't the whole universe of rap, but I try to keep my options open and listen a bit. This is realy good stuff, musically. I don't knwo how "pure" it is in rap terms, but this is really good music.

Just a pitch to anyone else out there who appreciates a musical recommendation, and is at least open to listening to rap. This is really good stuff, potentially an album for the ages.

The Roots are actually my favorite group of any kind of music! If you ever get the chance to see them live, they are amazing. They're greatest album in my opinion is called "Things Fall Apart" from a couple of years ago. And they had that great single on their last album Phernology that was really popular.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #23
Sharpieman

dola, also Talib Kweli has some great songs too...
Old 07-20-2004, 08:20 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Because it is usually in the background, nimrod.

If it makes you feel any better, all of Bucc's post show up as

[old guy waving cane and yelling - indistinguishable]

Old 07-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #25
Scholes
High School Varsity

Mentioned before: Mos Def, new album drops Sept. 14th, Kweli is great, ATCQ, etc.

Not mentioned: De la Soul, Blackalicious, Atmosphere (plugging the local scene), Binary Star, Living Legends, Illogic, Aesop Rock, Camp Lo.

I am a huge fan of The Roots, have seen them live twice, and while they are dope live, I think they're stuff translates pretty well to the CD as well. That's just me though.

And when you just want some good old down and dirty, you can never go wrong with Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:31 AM   #26
Super Ugly
High School JV

I guess I'm one of the few people who thinks that the Roots are better on record than they are live. Then again, I don't get out of the house much these days, so what am I going to know about the kids these days, and their pop concerts?

While everyone's talking about records they like, let me say that Quasimoto's (aka Madlib of the Lootpack) 'The Unseen' is my favourite record of the past few years. Very jazzy and psychadelic. Plus he samples Bill Cosby. Even if you're not a big fan of hip hop, it will blow your head off.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:38 AM   #27
Sharpieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes
Mentioned before: Mos Def, new album drops Sept. 14th, Kweli is great, ATCQ, etc.

Not mentioned: De la Soul, Blackalicious, Atmosphere (plugging the local scene), Binary Star, Living Legends, Illogic, Aesop Rock, Camp Lo.

I am a huge fan of The Roots, have seen them live twice, and while they are dope live, I think they're stuff translates pretty well to the CD as well. That's just me though.

And when you just want some good old down and dirty, you can never go wrong with Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.

Ah man, I can't believe there is another Living Legends fan on this board.
Are you a Mystik Journymen fan also?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:11 AM   #28
andy m
High School Varsity

http://www.anticon.com

sole + clouddead + sage francis = good.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:15 AM   #29
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman

I'm down with the Legends too. The new Murs album with 9th Wonder is phenomenal.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:17 AM   #30
Scholes
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman

Actually, I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, I'll have to check them out.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:03 AM   #31
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
mos def
talib kweli

'beat me to it, Shorty.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:05 AM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

at least we know we can edit the titles now. That wasn't working for a real long time.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #33
cuervo72
Head Coach

At least we know what Quik thinks about the direction his thread has headed.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #34
Sharpieman

Best Mystik Journeymen album-Worldwide Underground. Get it at LLcrew.com
Old 07-21-2004, 01:43 PM   #35
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Although you said you don't like Lauryn Hill, I still have to recommend The Fugees "The Score". I got this CD a few months ago after the recommendation of a friend. It was only $10 at Best Buy so I figured I would pick it up. As someone who usually doesn't like rap I've grown to love this album. Although there's two covers on it, Killing Me Softly and No Woman, No Cry(which I actually like better than the Bob Marley version), the original stuff is great too, especially Zealots which is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. I usually don't like rap but still love this album enough to go pick up the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which I like a lot. I also got Wyclef's The Carnival but have yet to actually listen to it.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 PM   #36
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

well, I LOVE A Day at the Races, so, based on this post, I'm dling Concrete Schoolyard right now...

EDIT: yep, Concrete Schoolyard is a kick ass cool song.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 07-21-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #37
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Now we hit a topic I can talk about...

Wyclef produced 2002's Tom Jones album "Mr. Jones" which was rather amazing and I listen to regularly between my Hip-Hop selections... As far as rap albums... I'm a bit of traditionalist, but Public Enemy's "It takes a Nation of Millions..." probably opened my eyes more than any Rap Album ever. While I have listened to rap since I was old enough to recognize popular music (had the original album that NWA sold out of their trunk) and can trace my "Roots" (pun intended) back to the Ice-T "Power" Album, Big Daddy Kane's "It's a Big Daddy Thing", and DOC's "No One Can Do it Better", I too have become enamored by this recent trend in Hip-Hop to include more of a melodic sound to their singles. I do enjoy Kanye West and the Black-eyed Peas; but long for the days when rap's sensationalism was about education and not record-selling.

I think the the recent populist trends in rap music such as J5, Roots, BEP, etc. can actually be traced back to the rhythms and melodic rappers of the early 90s such as (don't laugh) Kid n Play, Rodney O and Joe Cooley, and to some extent Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock (Please no MC Hammer jokes, he was a Pop Star, not a Rapper). Those of us who were old enough then, to appreciate the melodies and message, have grown to appreciate this new evolution... and happen to now be the primary buyers of popular music.

Just some thoughts...
Chas
Chas in Cinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #38
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Haze - is a young artist and very good I think I let Shorty listen to some of his stuff.
Roots - I don't know I am not much of a fan.
Black Eye Peas - No thanks.
Mos Def - Yes his music is very good.
Tupac - Consider me a fan for life.

Hmm the rest that is out there I listen to but I mainly jam to underground artist.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #39
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Oh and Dead Prez is gangsta.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #40
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I went out and bought the Roots album because of this thread and overall I like it. There are about 4 or 5 tracks that I really enjoy and the rest I could take or leave. It is my first experience The Roots and overall I would give them a 7.

I also got the new Kwanye West CD and it's pretty good as well. Unfortunately, my stupid ass picked up the CLEAN version of both albums! D'oh!!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:14 AM   #41
Easy Mac

Quote:
That's Kanye West, another very good producer but not quite in the same genre as The Roots (more straight hip-hop/rap than the experimental live instrument ensemble). And I was never sure whether it was "Give you ice like Kobe, right" or "Give you ice like Kobe[s] wife."

I think technically its Twista with Kanye West as producer, though I could be wrong.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:16 AM   #42
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, I dl'd The Roots album, and thought pretty much the same thing - a couple tracks are killer, a couple are just ok. Been listening to some Jurassic 5 as well, and I'd say pretty much the same thoughts (some great, some so-so). one of J5 has a really interesting voice that's pretty cool to listen to, even on the less-interesting songs.

didn't like the Kanye West CD very much - ended up just deleting it from the HD, which I rarely do.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #43
Easy Mac

Am I the only one who only is listening to rap right now? I just can't find any good rock to listen to, especially on the radio. Everything is either shitty versions of garage bands or punk bands. The only song I like right now is the Modest Mouse song that sounds like its from the 80's. Meanwhile, while most rap is still of the "crunk" variety, I've found there's some pretty good songs out right now. The Lloyd Banks song has a nice rhythm (I think they should have used the final few seconds of the hook as the main rhythm for the song). The Youngbuck/Fat Joe summer anthems are good for what they are and nice to listen to, but they'll be forgotten within a year. But there aren't any rock songs I can say that about. Am I just missing the good songs?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #44
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
well, I dl'd The Roots album, and thought pretty much the same thing - a couple tracks are killer, a couple are just ok.

I think in general this is a problem with many hip-hop/rap albums. More so than with rock, it seems that artists feel compelled to put on as much stuff as can possibly fit on a CD. The less you cut away, the more so-so material you're left with.

Albums should really only be about 40 minutes in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #45
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Quote:
one of J5 has a really interesting voice that's pretty cool to listen to, even on the less-interesting songs.

I can nearly guarantee that's Chali 2na.

If he put out a solo album, I would buy it immediately, no questions asked. He carries J5.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #46
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
But there aren't any rock songs I can say that about. Am I just missing the good songs?

Yes.

Buy the stellastarr* album.

Buy the Metric album.

Buy the last Rilo Kiley album, "The Execution of All Things".

Pick up the most recent Josh Rouse album "1972".

Buy the Von Bondies last album.

Buy both of Ben Kweller's albums, but if you only get one, pick up "Sha Sha".

Listen to WOXY.

That should be enough to keep you happy for awhile.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #47
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I can nearly guarantee that's Chali 2na.

If he put out a solo album, I would buy it immediately, no questions asked. He carries J5.

I wont argue - that must be who it is. just a cool voice and a neat rhyming style.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #48
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Buy the Metric album.

solid album. "combat baby" was easily one of my top 5 songs from last year.
Quote:
Buy both of Ben Kweller's albums, but if you only get one, pick up "Sha Sha".

I LOVED Sha-Sha, didn't care too much for On My Way
Quote:

Listen to WOXY.

Absolutely. It's gone from being the best station in the country, to the best station in the country AND commerical free.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #49
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I wont argue - that must be who it is. just a cool voice and a neat rhyming style.

The super-deep voice. I think anyone who's ever heard him has a very positive reaction.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #50
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I would second StellaStar - very cool.

But I am having the same problem Mac - rock isn't doing anything for me these days and I don't know why. Maybe we're just angry?

I like the new Jadakiss (sp?) track as well. Nice.