Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #51
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
just saw my first ad on tv for this. UGH. BAAAD.

Was there ever any doubt? I think the running hope is that this movie will be so bad that it is good.

BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #52
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The write-up on wikipedia is a good read. Since New Line finally got the picture (they were making a B Movie), it's amazing what an effort they've put into it to support fan and fan-related stuff related to the movie (parodies, audio clips, posters, etc...). Very smart marketing on their part.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. . .

hxxp://www.pajiba.com/snakes-on-a-plane.htm

I haven’t had this much fun watching a movie since Ash Williams stood with a shotgun in one hand and a chainsaw in the other, beckoning: “Gimme some sugar, baby.” I shit you not, folks. Snakes on a Plane is every bit of god-awful fantastic that the hype portends. And I say this not as a movie critic, but as an enthusiast of so-bad-it’s-good. I consider the Final Destination series one of my favorite trilogies of all time; The Skulls is a minor classic; and nary anything can compare to the joy that was Cool as Ice. But Snakes on a Plane beats them all, hands down, fists balled, and middle finger to the sky. It absolutely kills. The only way I could’ve found it more entertaining is if the snake venom turned the passengers into zombies, but I suppose you gotta leave something for the sequel(s). In fact, the only analogy that could possibly do SoaP justice is one of those ear-mangling Journey ballads that you know is shittacular and yet you can’t help but crank it to an unheard-of decibel level and belt your lungs out (“Don’t stop believin’.”).

Truthfully, SoaP defies everything I ever believed about filmmakers who actually set out with the intention of making a good-bad flick; I didn’t think it could be done. And maybe without the attendant hype, it couldn’t have, because damn near half of Snakes success comes from the spectacle of 75 college kids ripped to the tits chanting “Snakes on a Plane” and tossing toy planes around the theater. Indeed, Snakes absolutely demands an audience. It’s a participatory event. And it may be the only time you can ever watch a film and not hate everyone in the theater for yelling throughout, because hell if you don’t find yourself treating the whole experience like a college basketball game, just waiting for Samuel Jackson to drain the Snakes on a Motherfucking Plane to win the game. I actually applauded. More than once. And I didn’t even shake my head in wonder when the audience gave it a standing ovation as the credits rolled.

I could give you a plot summary, but really there’s little point. It is as advertised. It’s got a plane. It’s got snakes. And they attack the passengers. A lot. In fact, it is one of the few times that there are actually enough violent death scenes to quench one’s need for blood; hell, it’s got 25 Paris Hilton House of Wax moments. And you find yourself thinking the entire time that what’s about to happen isn’t going to happen but, yes, the snake does grab hold of the man’s penis while he’s taking a leak. And yes, that rattler does bore a hole through that woman’s eye. And yes, I — a grown man — found myself recoiling in my seat like a goddamn ninny.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-18-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Tomatometer for it is very high after 19 reviews(79%), but it wasn't formally screened for critics, and therefore is pretty internet reviewer heavy right now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #55
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
The Tomatometer for it is very high after 19 reviews(79%), but it wasn't formally screened for critics, and therefore is pretty internet reviewer heavy right now.

Yeah. Once the "mainstream" press reviews are posted that rating should fall dramatically. Both Detroit rags (the Free Press and the News) gave the flick negative reviews.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #56
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I can't wait for the Onion review (which are usually pretty good). Last week they did interviews with Sam Jackson and the director of the movie, both of which are good reads. hxxp://www.avclub.com
Old 08-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #57
HomerSimpson
Mascot

Does this have any relation to the Snakes on a Train movie?

Here is a link to the Snakes on a Train trailer,
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2764052

Last edited by HomerSimpson : 08-18-2006 at 09:45 AM.
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #58
HomerSimpson
Mascot

Did I see the oldest daughter from "The Nanny" in the Snakes on a Train trailer?
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #59
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Saw it last night at the beach. Everything Honolulu Blue says is dead on. My advice - go to a screening that is late at night, when everyone is hammered (you should be hammered too). Bring a fake snake and a balsa wood glider. Scream. And walk out of that theater knowing that Samuel L. Jackson is THE MAN.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #60
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw this on another board:

Let's review the flight list for a moment:

spoiled rich girl (w/ mini dog)
rapper
martial arts expert
asshole snotty british guy
woman with baby
two kids flying alone
video gamer who just happens to love flight simulations...
One flight attendant on her last day
Another about to retire

Pretty staggering list of cliches.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot one more:

MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #61
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Saw this on another board:

Let's review the flight list for a moment:

spoiled rich girl (w/ mini dog) (Snakemeat)
rapper (Snakemeat)
martial arts expert (Snakemeat)
asshole snotty british guy (Snakemeat)
woman with baby (Odds are better than even they survive)
two kids flying alone (Odds are better than even they survive)
video gamer who just happens to love flight simulations... (Someone has to land the plane)
One flight attendant on her last day (Odds are better than even she survives)
Another about to retire (Snakemeat)

Pretty staggering list of cliches.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot one more:

MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES.

Not having seen the movie yet, my predictions are in bold above for the crew.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler is up on themoviespoiler.com.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #63
dervack
College Prospect

I guess I'm the only person in the world who saw it and hated it. Oh well. It sucked, bad.

Last edited by dervack : 08-18-2006 at 01:10 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
TEH MUTHAFUCKIN SPOILER.

Dude, the spoiler police are gonna give you a beat down of snake-like proportions.

Get this m-fing spolier out of this m-fing thread!

Last edited by rkmsuf : 08-18-2006 at 01:11 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dead on. I guess I'm the only person in the world who saw it and hated it. Oh well. It sucked, bad.

Oh come on...I've spent all freaking day avoiding the SoaP thread, the radio and the TV, and I get a spoiler in a damn Ben Rothlesberger thread? WTF were you thinking???? Keep your mouth shut from now on please!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #66
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Favorable review from the New York Times: http://movies2.nytimes.com/2006/08/1...gewanted=print
Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #67
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Oh come on...I've spent all freaking day avoiding the SoaP thread, the radio and the TV, and I get a spoiler in a damn Ben Rothlesberger thread? WTF were you thinking???? Keep your mouth shut from now on please!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #68
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Dude, the spoiler police are gonna give you a beat down of snake-like proportions.

Get this m-fing spolier out of this m-fing thread!
Changed it, doesn't change the fact that the movie sucks.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #69
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Changed it, doesn't change the fact that the movie sucks.

I don't get how that's a fact. Isn't it all subjective? Doesn't make sense is all.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #70
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I just got back from seeing it...

It was one of the most thoroughly entertaining movies I have seen in a long time.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #71
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Saw it yesterday. Great flick. I saw it at 1:30 PM and was surprised there weren't more people in the theater. There were maybe 20. When SLJ said his line: "Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!" the audience cheered and clapped. That was pretty funny in of itself.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #72
MJ4H
Coordinator

over/under on when skanks on a plane comes out
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #73
Easy Mac

I prefer this movie
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #74
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

There was a time that I would have seen this movie on Opening day, but that time is not now. I'll humor the part of me that wants to see it sometime in the coming months through Blockbuster Online.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This only opened to 6.1 million yesterday. Standard progressions would put it at around a 19 milllion dollar weekend, although the "gotta see it day 1" factor was proabably pretty high here, and it may do as little as 13-15 for the weekend. This is definitely not the hit that the studio thought they might get.

Last edited by stevew : 08-19-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #76
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
This only opened to 6.1 million yesterday. Standard progressions would put it at around a 19 milllion dollar weekend, although the "gotta see it day 1" factor was proabably pretty high here, and it may do as little as 13-15 for the weekend. This is definitely not the hit that the studio thought they might get.

A shame, for SoaP is really a fun film to watch.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #77
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think when it's all said and done, it might clear 50 million...but it will make up for it in DVD sales and become the cult hit it was projected to be.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #78
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Between this and "Serenity", can we officially put paid to the notion that Internet popularity captures the zeitgeist of the nation as a whole?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #79
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just saw it. Mrs. A and I loved it.

Does not seem to make much sense to watch it, though, unless you are in a crowded theater with people who are willing to get into the movie. Maybe if you rent it with a bunch of friends who watch it while getting drunk.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #80
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Just saw it. Mrs. A and I loved it.

Does not seem to make much sense to watch it, though, unless you are in a crowded theater with people who are willing to get into the movie. Maybe if you rent it with a bunch of friends who watch it while getting drunk.

Agreed on all counts. I enjoyed it, but I think atmosphere had more to do with it than the film itself, though it did have a few classic moments.

***spoliers*****
I felt they kind of missed an opportunity for a lot of tension/snake action in the final descent scenes. That all just seemed too 1-2-3 for a movie like this.

The guy getting bit while taking a leak probably ranks as my favorite kill.

****end spoilers ***********

The oddest part of the movie for me was watching the "theme song" video at the end... I wish i'd paid attention when this was first released. I went from "that guy seems familiar..." to realizing i knew exactly who the lead singer of the group was in like 10 minutes. Gabe Saporta, lead singer/bassist of the band Midtown (and before that bassist for Humble Beginnings). I followed his prior band in high school and knew him at Rutgers the few years he was there. I'm even thanked in the credits of Midtown's first album. He was always a nice guy, so i'm happy for him. I doubt most people here will know who it is but it was a weird moment for me.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 08-19-2006 at 10:59 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 AM   #81
MrBug708
Head Coach

My theater was rocking Friday night and people had their fake snakes. Everyone was pumped when SLJ said his line and almost missed the start of it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
Between this and "Serenity", can we officially put paid to the notion that Internet popularity captures the zeitgeist of the nation as a whole?
Exactly. Maybe in 15 more years it might start to matter, but definitely not right now.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #83
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

It's pretty important to note that Snakes On A Plane is an R rated movie. You can't really expect a huge opening when kids can't just go to it. While it probably ended up making for a better movie, i think it was a mistake on their part, since this movie probably has a lot of appeal to kids who can't go see it now.

BUt overall, yeah...Internet hype is overrated... no doubt.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ended at 13.8 million, 2nd to Ricky Bobby.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #85
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

In the theatre I was at, the local zoo sent people into the movie theatre with some real snakes and one legless lizard.

I thought that was a pretty cool idea.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #86
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://www.allyoursnakesbelongtous.com/
Old 08-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #87
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ended at 13.8 million, 2nd to Ricky Bobby.

For the weekend, the numbers I found have SoaP projected to be on top with 15.3 mill and Bobby second with 14.1

Source is Exhibitor Relations

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 08-20-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #88
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://snakesonaplane.varitalk.com/
Old 08-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
For the weekend, the numbers I found have SoaP projected to be on top with 15.3 mill and Bobby second with 14.1

Source is Exhibitor Relations

Ah, I see the 1.5 in thursday night/friday early morning screeners that they weren't counting at Boxoffice mojo.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #90
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Ah, I see the 1.5 in thursday night/friday early morning screeners that they weren't counting at Boxoffice mojo.

And I believe those wont be counted towards weekend numbers... So we'll see, but i think technically it was #2 this weekend.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #91
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
And I believe those wont be counted towards weekend numbers... So we'll see, but i think technically it was #2 this weekend.

Which has to be considered a success. After all, without the internet buzz, I honestly think it wouldn't have made that much.

Plus I think where New Line will make their money on this one is DVD sales. It seems to be designed to be a Army of Darkness/Rocky Horror cult following.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #92
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
Which has to be considered a success.

6 months ago, sure. Now? Not at all. It was showing on a LOT of screens to only pull in this much money. It's certainly a disappointment from predictions of a week ago. I thought it would have little trouble hitting 20 million, and it fell way short of that.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #93
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Best movie quote ever. Yeah, you know the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyErC...elated&search=
Old 08-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #94
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Exactly. Maybe in 15 more years it might start to matter, but definitely not right now.

What's amazing to me is as many people as have bugged me to go see that movie in the last four days or so, it only did about $13-15 million?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #95
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I honestly think that whoever decided to take it up to an R rating has to be the fall guy on this one. It certainly ended up making the movie funnier, but it made it a box office disaster. They should have made it a PG-13 cut and then saved everything for an unrated DVD.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #96
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

If it were the rating that did the movie in, and not the general lack of interest, then you'd see kids buying tickets to PG films and jumping theaters. NOBODY did business this weekend.

The fall guy is whoever decided this was an event picture based on the say-so of 100 guys on Ain't It Cool News (half of whom probably didn't even go see the picture).
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 AM   #97
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Which has to be considered a success. After all, without the internet buzz, I honestly think it wouldn't have made that much.

Plus I think where New Line will make their money on this one is DVD sales. It seems to be designed to be a Army of Darkness/Rocky Horror cult following.

35 million to make, 15 million to market. I wouldn't call this weekend a success.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #98
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
I like this t-shirt:

Did you make that in Maximum Foolsball? Nice.

Found this as well......hxxp://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sega/all-your-snakes-are-belong-to-us-195423.php
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #99
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Does anything capture the zeitgeist of the nation as a whole any more (and did it ever? ) ?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #100
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I think it is still way too early to call this a box office disappointment. With the way people are participating in the fun of the movie, this could easily be re-released on Halloween with hordes of people already knowing some of the classic lines from the movie.

Plus who knows how well it will do on DVD. I mean I thought Rocky V was a disaster in terms of sales, but just recently found out that it did well on video/DVD and made up for its disappointment at the box office.