Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
When I didn't have itunes and my mp3's banned from my machine at work (ok, I was never supposed to have them in the first place) I kept a widget open that has the album artwork and play/ffwd/rwd/stop buttons on it. It is visually appealing to me to see the artwork as it plays. Keep it unobtrusive and in the corner (not that hard with two monitors) and I'm a happy camper. Now I have to use my ipod which is just annoying. I want software control.

I agree about the visual appeal of the album art -- I've noticed that as a result of listening to mp3s, I've lost some of the feel I get from an album's cover. What's a widget, anyway?

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #52
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Here's what you said about them earlier. I'm not sure what makes it any better than just putting the thing on shuffle and playing all, or shuffling all music by one artist, or one genre.
A couple things you can do with smart playlists:

1. Create playlists based on song genre (or any other metadata) that will always be up to date even as you add new music
2. Create playlists based on dynamic information like number of times played, last time played, etc, etc that will update on your PC in real time and on your iPod every time you sync
3. If your iPod is smaller than your music playlist, you can use smart playlists to automatically rotate through the music that gets synced to your iPod based on any song metadata

For me I have about 55 GB of music and a 60GB iPod. I want to listen to my music on shuffle, but with different songs weighted differently. IE, I want to listen to my five star music more often than three star stuff; I want to listen to stuff I haven't heard for a while more often than things I just recently heard; I want to hear stuff recently added more often than stuff I've had for a while. Smart playlists give the ability to do exactly that (although its not necessarily easy to setup!).

Last edited by Daimyo : 08-30-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #53
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
For me I have about 55 GB of music and a 60GB iPod. I want to listen to my music on shuffle, but with different songs weighted differently. IE, I want to listen to my five star music more often than three star stuff; I want to listen to stuff I haven't heard for a while more often than things I just recently heard; I want to hear stuff recently added more often than stuff I've had for a while. Smart playlists give the ability to do exactly that (although its not necessarily easy to setup!).

This part intrigues me, though that's something media player does, too -- i can rate songs from one to five stars, and it plays a song more often if it's rated higher. Does the ipod itself do that as well?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #54
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Wait...people use iTunes as a music player? It's fine for organizing what I want on my iPod, but I wouldn't dream of using it as a standalone player when I'm at the PC. foobar2000 for the win.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #55
MJ4H
Coordinator

People use foobar? I thought people just said its name to sound leet
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #56
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I get it. I'm a big convert now that I have joined the 21st century. I'm getting am 80gb classic for Christmas and unbeknowest to me, a friend told me that I can go ahead and get started on iTunes (shows you what I knew). I had some custom music folders on my hard drive and it was very easy to get them in iTunes. I then put in one of my 1000+ CDs and I was amazed at how quickly and easily it imported. After years of cussing out the stupid WMP (worst software I have ever seen), experiencing the far superior iTunes was revelationary. I'm still anal and methodical in that I simply want to import and play albums but I guess I would like the flexibility the software has to offer.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #57
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I want to listen to my music on shuffle, but with different songs weighted differently. IE, I want to listen to my five star music more often than three star stuff; I want to listen to stuff I haven't heard for a while more often than things I just recently heard; I want to hear stuff recently added more often than stuff I've had for a while. Smart playlists give the ability to do exactly that (although its not necessarily easy to setup!).

This is completely foreign to me. Rating music? WTF? An album is what it is. If I dislike a track, I suppose I simply delete it or skip over it.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 AM   #58
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I decided to give Itunes a try finally after years of Winamp. I installed the latest..got it set up. Hit File>Add Folder>Music. It loaded all my library, converted some. I noticed it said I have 13,000 songs tho. I only have like 6500 songs. Then I noticed it's because there are doubles of every song. Ex:

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown
Communication Breakdown

Also a lot of my songs don't have album information. There are a shit ton of "unknown album." Is that because when the songs are downloaded the way they are labeled makes it hard for Itunes to recognize? This is kind of not a big deal, but it kind of ruins the album art thing for me. But more importantly I don't like having doubles of everything and with the way some are labeled they are out of order.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #59
Pyser
Pro Rookie

why dont you just go to file > show duplicates, and delete the extras?

im assuming you had itunes automatically organize your file directory, which copies everything into its itunes folder. if you did that, just delete the original locations.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #60
wade moore
lolzcat

If you pirated a bunch of music then often it's not going to be recognized properly by iTunes because iTunes recognizes albums by being in the EXACT format they are supposed to be and going into the database to find what it is. Pirated songs have slightly different length/size, etc, etc. and can't be recognized by those engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #61
Buccaneer
Head Coach

this is soooo addictive.....
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #62
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Dumb question. How do I look at all of the albums in a genre on iTunes Store? Each genre gives me stuff like New or Featured or some sub-category. Also, Browse is worthless since you have to drill down to something very specific. I want to, for example, see all of the Soundtrack they have.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #63
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Under Soundtrack, you can select subforum "All".
Old 12-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #64
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Under Soundtrack, you can select subforum "All".

Where? In the Browse? I click "All" and it gives me a list of Artists in the next frame to chose from. On the main screen for any genre, I don't see how to see All except to see all new releases or all top selling...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #65
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Where? In the Browse? I click "All" and it gives me a list of Artists in the next frame to chose from. On the main screen for any genre, I don't see how to see All except to see all new releases or all top selling...

Yep... and then you have to pick the Artist. You can't get to all songs in iTunes Store.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #66
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks Imran.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #67
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
B) You need to learn about "Smart Playlists". Instead of allowing filtering in the main library, it uses these very dynamic smart playlists. Then you can select the playlists or in "party shuffle" (a very underrated feature IMO) you can choose which playlist you are using. Whatever you set for the filter on the smart playlists, they automatically get added to as you add music.

So what kind of "Smart Playlists" have you made? I've had my ipod for over a month now, and I've made two -- I'm doing a thing where I run for a minute and a half, then walk for a minute, and I basically used that to search for songs that have roughly that long of a run-time. I could have found these songs by just sorting my whole list by length, but this way I got to use this new awesome feature. What else should I be using it for?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #68
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
So what kind of "Smart Playlists" have you made? I've had my ipod for over a month now, and I've made two -- I'm doing a thing where I run for a minute and a half, then walk for a minute, and I basically used that to search for songs that have roughly that long of a run-time. I could have found these songs by just sorting my whole list by length, but this way I got to use this new awesome feature. What else should I be using it for?
I use it for artists, genres (including multiple genres together like for instance: Folk and Celtic for me), and a custom ratings (> 2 *'s, the "My Top Rated" does 4 and 5 *'s).

The key is not just that you couldn't do it with some sorting, but that as you add songs they automatically go in these playlists. If you make a playlist for 1 1/2 minute songs manually and then add 10 1 1/2 minute songs to your library, you'll have to manually add all of those again - not if you have a smart playlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #69
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I use it for artists, genres (including multiple genres together like for instance: Folk and Celtic for me), and a custom ratings (> 2 *'s, the "My Top Rated" does 4 and 5 *'s).

The key is not just that you couldn't do it with some sorting, but that as you add songs they automatically go in these playlists. If you make a playlist for 1 1/2 minute songs manually and then add 10 1 1/2 minute songs to your library, you'll have to manually add all of those again - not if you have a smart playlist.

Well, it's kind of moot because I want to alternative one 90 second song, then one 60 second song, so I need to make a new "dumb" playlist for it anyway. When I add music, if it fits those criteria, it'll show up in the "smart" playlist automatically, but if I want to add it to my workout playlist, I have to do it manually anyway.

For artists, I usually just click on the artist's name at the top. I'm working on getting my music categorized into genres, but it's difficult trying to figure out what genre to put everything in. I wish they'd make it more like tags, where you could have more than one for each song.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #70
Kodos
Resident Alien

I use the star-rating smart lists extensively. I also have "neglectarinos" lists that play my least-played songs within a given star-rating. Then I also have top 100, 250, 500, and 1,000 songs lists, which exclude songs with no stars (songs my wife likes that I don't). I also have lists broken out by decade.

This would be a bit of a pain in the butt, but I've been thinking about creating multiple copies of my favorite songs (make a CD of top-rated songs, then rip from it with a bogus group name/album name multiple times) in an effort to get my favorite songs into the rotation more often than lower-rated songs. I haven't tried yet, but could I do the same thing with DVDs to get more songs on a disc?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #71
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I use the star-rating smart lists extensively. I also have "neglectarinos" lists that play my least-played songs within a given star-rating. Then I also have top 100, 250, 500, and 1,000 songs lists, which exclude songs with no stars (songs my wife likes that I don't). I also have lists broken out by decade.

This would be a bit of a pain in the butt, but I've been thinking about creating multiple copies of my favorite songs (make a CD of top-rated songs, then rip from it with a bogus group name/album name multiple times) in an effort to get my favorite songs into the rotation more often than lower-rated songs. I haven't tried yet, but could I do the same thing with DVDs to get more songs on a disc?

Why couldn't you just add the songs to a playlist more times?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #72
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hmmm. Good question. Because these are smart playlists based on ratings.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #73
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmmm. Good question. Because these are smart playlists based on ratings.

Well, if you must use smart playlists, couldn't you just take the files you want to duplicate, and copy/paste them?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #74
Passacaglia
Coordinator

And I don't think you would need to have bogus names -- I'd imagine you could have several things with the same artist, album, and song names, and itunes wouldn't care.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #75
Anthony
Banned

maybe do a little overtime at your job and simply buy your own ipod, that way you don't need to filter out your wife's music?

i don't believe in putting music i don't like on my ipod, which is why i don't do the star rating. ipod should be for the cream of the crop. you should be able to select shuffle and enjoy every song that comes on, otherwise why is it on your ipod? that's friggin dumb.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #76
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I have the same song in itunes multiple times if I have them on different albums...I have a lot of compilation albums and soundtracks, which resulted in some duplication. If there is a song you want to appear more frequently, you should just able to copy/save it as a new title (maybe just add a number to the end of the song or something), and then make sure you play the added songs frequently, and it should pop into there.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
maybe do a little overtime at your job and simply buy your own ipod, that way you don't need to filter out your wife's music?

i don't believe in putting music i don't like on my ipod, which is why i don't do the star rating. ipod should be for the cream of the crop. you should be able to select shuffle and enjoy every song that comes on, otherwise why is it on your ipod? that's friggin dumb.

We both have our own iPods, but the songs come from a common pool on iTunes. But thanks for your handy suggestion.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #78
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I have the same song in itunes multiple times if I have them on different albums...I have a lot of compilation albums and soundtracks, which resulted in some duplication. If there is a song you want to appear more frequently, you should just able to copy/save it as a new title (maybe just add a number to the end of the song or something), and then make sure you play the added songs frequently, and it should pop into there.

The short version is that if I give them all the same bogus artist name, I can then exclude that artist name from clogging up other smart playlists, such as top 250 songs or whatever.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #79
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

My greatest smart playlist is "Songs I haven't listened to in at least a month." This way I know I'm not getting the same effect I do on the radio where you hear the same thing over and over.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #80
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Anyone know how many songs can roughly be stored on a 4gb iPod Nano? I just bought my first one about a month ago, and am just now starting to get around to putting music on it. Any info is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #81
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

roughly 1,000 songs on a 4 gig
Old 02-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #82
Easy Mac

mine held about 700, its only 1000 songs at 128 kb aac files
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #83
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
My greatest smart playlist is "Songs I haven't listened to in at least a month." This way I know I'm not getting the same effect I do on the radio where you hear the same thing over and over.

I have a similar "Since U Been Gone" list that plays the 200 songs that I haven't listened to in the longest time.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-05-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #84
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
mine held about 700, its only 1000 songs at 128 kb aac files

where songs = 3 minute pop tunes usually. i have "songs" on my ipod that are upwards of 45 mins. it wont hold 700 of those, either.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #85
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
where songs = 3 minute pop tunes usually. i have "songs" on my ipod that are upwards of 45 mins. it wont hold 700 of those, either.

WTF??? 45 minute songs? Each?? "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida...."

Quote:
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #86
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I have a similar "Since U Been Gone" list that plays the 200 songs that I haven't listened to in the longest time.

This is a good idea... I have to say i've been pretty dull in my use of smart playlists... I often do smart playlists by a single year, but this sounds like a good idea for getting some lost gems back in the rotation.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #87
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Random question for all you experts...I have multiple files of the same song, from the same album even, in my iTunes. I must have tried to back them up or something and created duplicates. Is there an easy way to delete the duplicates, leaving one file?

I've been trying to 'Show Duplicates' and delete all but one of the songs, but my file library is huge and it's taking forever.

Thanks in advance.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #88
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, pretty close. Not counting the podcasts at the top of course.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #89
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Well, pretty close. Not counting the podcasts at the top of course.

Wow. That is a much deeper music selection than I would have expected. Kudos, sir. Kudos.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #90
st.cronin
General Manager

MJ4H, have you ever heard Frisell's take on Billy the Kid?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #91
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
MJ4H, have you ever heard Frisell's take on Billy the Kid?

Heard of it, not familiar with it, though.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #92
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Here's one. My laptop has buttons on it -- play/pause, forward, rewind, and stop. They work great with media player, but for itunes it will only work if the itunes window is on top. Anyone know a way I can get them to work even when itunes is minimized?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #93
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I only put the albums/songs that I like to listen to on my iPod. So far, I have over 40 rocks albums (some pared down) and made a playlist of them. Fascinating to do a shuffle on that. If I had a smart playlist that only played the songs that I really liked, that would get old fast.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #94
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Here's one. My laptop has buttons on it -- play/pause, forward, rewind, and stop. They work great with media player, but for itunes it will only work if the itunes window is on top. Anyone know a way I can get them to work even when itunes is minimized?

No clue, but if you find an answer let me know. I was wondering the same thing the other day.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #95
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
No clue, but if you find an answer let me know. I was wondering the same thing the other day.

google is my friend

http://andy.hillhome.org/blog/code/ituneskeys
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #96
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've got a weird one here. I have three songs on my iPhone that cut off in the middle of the song. They play all the way through with no problem on my PC inside of iTunes, or any other player for that matter. I've deleted them from the iPhone and re-sync'ed, but the songs still cut off in the middle. Anyone else had this happen to them?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #97
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

probably a little glitch in the song somewhere. iTunes can overcome it, your iPhone can't. I've come across that before. you probably need to delete the song and download a new copy
Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #98
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I want you guys to know I've been practically obsessed with smart playlists since someone in here brought up getting more out of them... I made a series of smart playlists feeding into 1 other smart playlist to basically create my own radio station.

If you've got a big, mature library like I do and you listen to an assload of music (adding a lot regularly), this might be worth checking out.

I have a 9 song clock basically... where the entire listening cycle continues of 9 categories (really 6 with 3 categories coming up twice).

Here's how it's laid out with a brief description of each category:

GOLD - A (played at least 10 times)
NEW MUSIC - A (added in last 30 days)
FORGOTTEN FAVES (played at least 5 times, but not played in last 6 monthts)
UNPLAYED - A (never been played)
POWER (played at least 20 times)
RANDOM (completely random selection)
GOLD - B (played at least 10 times)
NEW MUSIC - B (added in last 31-90 days)
UNPLAYED - B (never been played)

I think it balances stuff you know you like (because you've played it a lot) with new stuff, a random song for true spice, and a song you really like but havent heard in a while. And this particular play-count based setup works best for me because I think ive rated about 50 of the 18,000+ songs in my library.

actually making it happen:
I created a folder named "my radio" with the 9 smart playlists in it, one for each category.

All of these playlists are limited to 1 song, all have live updating on.

Here are the remainder of the details for all 9 smart playlists:

POWER
*play count is greater than 19
*time is greater than 0:59
*last played is not in the last 1 days

GOLD - A
*played count is greater than 9
*last played is not in last 7 days
*playlist is not POWER

GOLD - B
*play count is greater than 9
*last played is not in last 7 days
*playlist is not GOLD - A
*playlist is not POWER

FORGOTTEN FAVES
*play count is greater than 4
*last played is not in last 6 months
*playlist is not GOLD - B
*playlist is not POWER

NEW MUSIC - A
*date added is in the last 30 days
*last played is not in the last 2 days

NEW MUSIC - B
*date added is in the last 90 days
*date added is not in the last 30 days
*last played is not in the last 2 days

UNPLAYED - A
*play count is 0
*podcast is false
*date added is not in the last 90 days
*kind does not contain video
*genre is not christmas
*time is less than 20:00

UNPLAYED - B
*play count is 0
*podcast is false
*date added is not in the last 90 days
*kind does not contain video
*genre is not christmas
*time is less than 20:00
*playlist is not UNPLAYED - A

RANDOM
*play count is greater than 1
*playlist is not GOLD - B
*playlist is not FORGOTTEN FAVES
*playlist is not NEW MUSIC - A
*playlist is not NEW MUSIC - B
*playlist is not POWER

So those are the building blocks. To actually play the thing, I create one more playlist (i called mine "Radio Radio").

RADIO RADIO
*(match ANY of the following rules)
*playlist is GOLD - A
*playlist is NEW MUSIC - A
*playlist is FORGOTTEN FAVES
*playlist is UNPLAYED - A
*playlist is POWER
*playlist is RANDOM
*playlist is GOLD - B
*playlist is NEW MUSIC - B
*playlist is UNPLAYED - B
*limit to 9 items selected by random

So now you've got 9 songs in your playlist. Annoyingly itunes will put them in a random order, but you only need to fix the order 1 single time. Take a look at the songs and which playlist they're coming from, then correctly order them in the main playlist. Now when you finish playing track 1, it disappears, and the new song slots itself in at number 9. You can play indefinitely, completely in the format you've created.

Yes, i realize this borders on insanity... but i work in radio programming and im a music maniac... keep that in mind. dont judge me too harshly.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-30-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #99
MJ4H
Coordinator

fucking rulez
Old 02-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
but i work in radio programming