Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #51
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
This news makes me quite sad.

Most accounts of this story are quoting Favre's agent Bus Cook as saying that Favre's decision was influenced by a seemingly lukewarm attitude toward his return from Thompson & McCarthy. They reportedly weren't trying to push him out the door, but they also weren't trying to talk him out of retiring. Here's the quote I found from JSOnline's story:

"It's my opinion," Cook said of the Packers' lack of interest. "I know he wants to play one more year. I do not know much conversation there was (between Favre and the Packers) and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."
--------------

If true it makes me at least understand his decision a bit better. I thought Favre was a lock to return this year, given how well the team performed last year and the dramatically improved receiver corps he has to work with. But if he didn't get the feeling that the team really wanted him back then why go through that pain and drudgery of another NFL season (amplified by being yet another year older)?
Again, this doesn't make any sense. Just last week there was an article on JSOnline about Thompson and McCarthy talking with Brett. Here's an exact quote:

Quote:
McCarthy said recently that he and general manager Ted Thompson sat down during the bye week of the playoffs and evaluated tape of Favre to determine whether he could still play. McCarthy said that they came to the conclusion that he was still able to play the game at a high level.

During the off-season, there were reports that Thompson had not done much to encourage Favre to return and that Favre's feeling was that the Packers weren't fired up about bringing him back. After reports surfaced of Favre's uneasiness about Thompson's lack of communication, Thompson told reporters at the combine that he called Favre to talk about the future.

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #52
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
McCarthy said recently that he and general manager Ted Thompson sat down during the bye week of the playoffs and evaluated tape of Favre to determine whether he could still play.

I find that hilarious.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #53
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I think it's pretty funny how annoyed people get when I tell them that I don't like Favre. It's like I'm insulting their boyfriend or something.

And you're right about the Lions. I do hate them. But I love them, if you know what I mean. Insult them all you want. They deserve it.

And Favre still sucks.

Schmidty cracks me up.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #54
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Again, this doesn't make any sense. Just last week there was an article on JSOnline about Thompson and McCarthy talking with Brett. Here's an exact quote:

I'm really not sure what to make of this myself. But it is at least conceivable that evaluating Favre as performing at a "high level" and "communicating about the future" might not necessarily translate into the message that he was desperately wanted back.

I'm sure there'll be more on this angle, though, and perhaps it'll make more sense (or all go away) once Favre finally talks.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #55
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's what we know:
1. Both Thompson and McCarthy called Favre to let them know they wanted him back. Even Favre says as much now.
2. GB's primary wide receiving/TE group of Driver, Jennings, James Jones and Donald Lee were tops in the NFL in YAC and one of the best when it comes to fewest drops.

So, Favre's agent is basically saying one of two things -
A. They said they wanted Favre, but didn't try hard enough. His quote is:
Quote:
I talked to Brett this morning and I told him 'nobody forced you to make this decision to retire, but the flip side is nobody encouraged you to play,'" Cook told Mortensen. "Two years ago, Ted [Thompson, the Packers' GM] encouraged him to play, but there was nothing this time around from them offering encouragement or him to come back.

B. They didn't get Moss, so he retired because their current WR group wasn't good enough. Here's McCarthy on that one:

Quote:
McCarthy said he and Favre had never discussed bringing in Moss.

"But I can tell you one thing, never once in all my converstaions with Brett this offseason has he ever asked or told me that we had to have Randy Moss for him to come back and play," McCarthy told Mortensen. "Randy Moss' name never came up once. And it bothers me that [Favre's agent] has made this an issue."

Looks to me like Cook is making a mountain out of a molehill to take pressure off Favre on this decision. In the end, Brett made the decision because ""I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired". It doesn't seem to me that GB could have realistically done anything to change that. And, if they did, would they be better off with a "mentally tired" Favre in October and November?

Favre was a great player in Packer history and someone who should be honored today for all he accomplished. But, his agent needs to shut his pie hole and let Brett go out as the hero he was, not make it seem like the Packers didn't stand on one leg long enough while hopping to show they really wanted him back.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #56
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Why does Brett Farve's retirement become a farging soap opera every year?

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm a Favre hater, so this news makes me happy.
Word. Seriously overrated, one Desomond Howard superman show away from going out like Dan Marino.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #58
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So long Favre. There will never be another player like him in my eyes.

Most of my day will be spent here.....

http://www.packers.com/history/brett_favre_tribute/
Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #59
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

-dola

Just told my daughter, who cried a few tears. I expected her to act sad, but that surprised me. Of course she is the girl who wouldn't take off her Favre jersey for over a week a couple months ago....
Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #60
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm very surprised by this. I thought he would play until either he wasn't good enough to start, or he had a major injury.

I think he is the greatest QB of all time, certainly the best I ever got to watch.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #61
Kodos
Resident Alien

At least he got to have a very good final season. It would have been a shame for him to have ended on a low note the past couple seasons when they were bad.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #62
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
At least he got to have a very good final season. It would have been a shame for him to have ended on a low note the past couple seasons when they were bad.

Exactly. This is why I don't think it had anything to do with Randy Moss. He was mentally tired. Why else would he come back after the 4-12 season or the 8-8 season when the team wasn't that good? He wanted to end on a good season and he did that.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #63
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Exactly. This is why I don't think it had anything to do with Randy Moss. He was mentally tired. Why else would he come back after the 4-12 season or the 8-8 season when the team wasn't that good? He wanted to end on a good season and he did that.

would have been nice to end on a good pass. or good game for that matter.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #64
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

Very few go out like Elway. He went out with one the best seasons of his career, final pass being an INT or not. In a way it is a fitting end for him, as his first pass in the NFL was an INT returned for a TD as a Falcon.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #65
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

18-1.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #66
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
18-1.

1-15
Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #67
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks to me like Cook is making a mountain out of a molehill to take pressure off Favre on this decision. In the end, Brett made the decision because ""I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired". It doesn't seem to me that GB could have realistically done anything to change that. And, if they did, would they be better off with a "mentally tired" Favre in October and November?

Favre was a great player in Packer history and someone who should be honored today for all he accomplished. But, his agent needs to shut his pie hole and let Brett go out as the hero he was, not make it seem like the Packers didn't stand on one leg long enough while hopping to show they really wanted him back.

I completely agree with this. Knowing how close he was to retiring the last few seasons, you have to figure that at some point, nothing would keep him in the league. If he has now decided that it is time to go, he should be allowed to leave without all the drama.

Quote:

It is funny, but the past few seasons I was really hoping he would retire. He didn't seem to be as good as he was and I worried that he would tarnish his whole career by staying around too long. I also thought he wasn't good enough anymore and should just give over to their future QB. It was very satisfying to see him finish his career on a very good season so he can go out like a hero.

Interesting note for people talking about it being too bad that his last pass went for an interception. I don't remember if it was also his first pass as a Packer, but his first completion as a Packer went to himself. Seems fitting that his last pass went to someone other than his receiving corps.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #68
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think Brett Favre shouldn't be allowed to retire unless his final pass as a Packer is a completion to himself.

Edit: Well, shit, BrianD just beat me to it.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 03-04-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #69
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Why does Brett Farve's retirement become a farging soap opera every year?

Because he's an attention whore.

Quote:

I thought ending on an interception in the playoffs was very fitting.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #70
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think Brett Favre shouldn't be allowed to retire unless his final pass as a Packer is a completion to himself.

Edit: Well, shit, BrianD just beat me to it.

NOW YOU'RE REPEATING OTHER PEOPLE, I WISH YOU'D JUST STOP!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #71
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Here's what we know:
1. Both Thompson and McCarthy called Favre to let them know they wanted him back. Even Favre says as much now.
2. GB's primary wide receiving/TE group of Driver, Jennings, James Jones and Donald Lee were tops in the NFL in YAC and one of the best when it comes to fewest drops.

So, Favre's agent is basically saying one of two things -
A. They said they wanted Favre, but didn't try hard enough. His quote is:

B. They didn't get Moss, so he retired because their current WR group wasn't good enough. Here's McCarthy on that one:

Even if what this guy says is true, he's not doing Favre any favors by saying it. It really makes him look like a weenie, when if he just said he felt like he's had 18 or whatever good years, no one would begrudge him for that. Now, if he's saying, "They didn't get me Moss, so I'm out" or "They didn't kiss my ass to get me to come back, so I'm out" then he comes off like a sanctimonious asshole, which makes me glad Cameron Diaz dumped him.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #72
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sad to see him go but happy (well other than that last game) he played so well last season, especially when most people, myself included, didn't think he had it in him anymore.

I'm also happy Aaron Rodgers finally gets a chance to play. It must have been pretty hard on him every year listening to all the "will he or won't he retire" talk. At least he has a good team to start out with.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #73
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Nice press conference. First class, not taking any questions about where the team goes from here. They just kept answering with "That is for another day, today is about Favre."
Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #74
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWint View Post
Too bad his last pass was an interception.
Can you think of a better way for The All Time INT Leader to go out?

Favre's INT record will stand forever.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #75
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm a Favre hater, so this news makes me happy.

Agreed to some degree, but now I'll need to find another unlikeable QB to enjoy watching throw interceptions in the playoffs.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #76
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
Can you think of a better way for The All Time INT Leader to go out?

Favre's INT record will stand forever.
As will his consecutive games started. I posted this a while back in a different forum, but I figure today's a good day to remind people:

"Because of the large difference in pass attempts for many QBs, the INT record is a bit misleading (and you can also argue the TD one to a lesser degree). For instance, Blanda now has fewer INTs than Brett, but he threw a pick on 6.9% of his total pass attempts. On the flip side, Brett has thrown one on just every 3.3% of his passes.

So, a better measure is TD vs INT %. I checked the TD and INT % per attempt for some of the best passers of all time (with atleast 8 full seasons as a starter). I ranked them by difference between the two:

Young: 5.5%, 2.6%: +2.9
Manning: 5.6%, 2.8%: +2.8
Montana 5.1%, 2.6%: +2.5
Marino 5.0%, 3.1%: +1.9
Favre 5.0%, 3.3%: +1.7
Dawson 6.3%, 4.9%: +1.4
Jergensen: 5.9%, 4.5%: +1.4
Tarkington 5.3%, 4.1%: +1.2
Kelly 4.9%, 3.7%: +1.2
Elway 4.1%, 3.1%: +1.0
Moon 4.3%, 3.4%: +0.9
Unitas 5.6%, 4.9%: +0.7
Bledsoe 3.7%, 3.1%: +0.6
Aikman 3.5%, 3.0%: +0.5
Fouts: 4.5%, 4.3%: +0.2
Bradshaw 5.4%, 5.4%: 0

So, when it comes to "risk/reward" of some of the top passers of all time, Favre ranks comfortably fifth. For Young, too, you need to understand he had about half the full seasons as a starter that Brett had (and barely made the 8 season cutoff). This doesn't count Brady, who will certainly pass him once he finishes his 8th season."

Last edited by Arles : 03-04-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #77
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
As will his consecutive games started.

If he wants that record he needs to come back and play a couple more years. The NFL's true Iron Man still holds that record of 282.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #78
Clark
n00b

YR W L
92 9-7
93 9-7
94 9-7
95 11-5
96 13-3
97 13-3
98 11-5
99 8-8
00 9-7
01 12-4
02 12-4
03 10-6
04 10-6
05 4-12
06 8-8
07 13-3

Pretty damn good. Thanks Brett!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #79
Arles
Grey Dog Software

16 years as a starter and one sub-500 season. That's going to be tough to match in the era of free agency.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #80
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I love the NFL Network. It was Favre all day. Earlier they started showing Superbowl XXXI and I got to see the begining of that before I had to stop. Hopefully it will be on again this week now. I loved watching the begining.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #81
SFL Cat
College Starter

I've always felt Favre was a bit overrated, but he was fun to watch, and you could tell the guy was genuinely having the time of his life out on the field.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #82
Kodos
Resident Alien

People who don't like Favre either got sick of him kicking their team's ass, or they're douchebags.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #83
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
People who don't like Favre either got sick of him kicking their team's ass, or they're douchebags.

I'd say the same about people who don't like Tom Brady.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #84
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

I have no problem with agreeing with that. I love Favre, and would take him over any other QB because I feel he is one of the greatest of all time and my biased opinion makes me put him above all. With that said, Tom Brady is probably the greatest ever when he is done at this rate. I would still take Favre though for said reason.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #85
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

There's a long list of active quarterbacks that Dolphins fans can't stand.

knives out
Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #86
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

oh, i get the comment now. it went right over my head.....
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #87
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
I've always felt Favre was a bit overrated, but he was fun to watch, and you could tell the guy was genuinely having the time of his life out on the field.

+1

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #88
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Favre actually had a reputation of struggling in the Silverdome for a while.

...but so did the Lions
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #89
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I always enjoyed watching Favre play. It showed how a team that was horrible could come around and kinda gave hope that one day a team like my Lions might get a clue. One day. One day...

Something I thought of a while back was how Favre was still going, starting all those games and generally playing at a level that was to be envied by most QB's who ever played the game. Just look at how so many of his backups came and went in the league that were good QB's in their own right. Brooks was ok for a minute, Brunell has been done for several years and only Joe Gibbs didn't see it, Hasselbeck isn't too far from being over the hill himself. Yet Favre could still go out there and nobody would bet against him.

It is a sad day when a truly great player hangs 'em up.

(But I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodgers break a leg in the preseason and have #4 get the itch...)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #90
TLK
Pro Starter

This play still haunts me. My first Lions game ever (I believe we went because it wasn't sold out and wouldn't be on television) and the start of many heartbreaking seasons. I remember wondering why Sterling Sharpe was running down the field uncovered, waving his hands...

Last edited by TLK : 03-05-2008 at 08:04 AM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #91
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing View Post
This play still haunts me. My first Lions game ever (I believe we went because it wasn't sold out and wouldn't be on television) and the start of many heartbreaking seasons. I remember wondering why Sterling Sharpe was running down the field uncovered, waving his hands...

If only Sterling had been able to stick around in the NFL a little longer.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #92
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing View Post

What's crazy about that throw is that it came out after the game that Favre had a "mild separation" on his non-throwing shoulder earlier in the game. So, he made that throw across his body for 50+ yards in the air with a separated shoulder.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
What's crazy about that throw is that it came out after the game that Favre had a "mild separation" on his non-throwing shoulder earlier in the game. So, he made that throw across his body for 50+ yards in the air with a separated shoulder.

I also heard that he wrestled an aligator at halftime and saved a bus full of nuns and orphans from rampaging rhinos right before the game.

The legend continues...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #94
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As will his consecutive games started. I posted this a while back in a different forum, but I figure today's a good day to remind people:

"Because of the large difference in pass attempts for many QBs, the INT record is a bit misleading (and you can also argue the TD one to a lesser degree). For instance, Blanda now has fewer INTs than Brett, but he threw a pick on 6.9% of his total pass attempts. On the flip side, Brett has thrown one on just every 3.3% of his passes.

So, a better measure is TD vs INT %. I checked the TD and INT % per attempt for some of the best passers of all time (with atleast 8 full seasons as a starter). I ranked them by difference between the two:

Young: 5.5%, 2.6%: +2.9
Manning: 5.6%, 2.8%: +2.8
Montana 5.1%, 2.6%: +2.5
Marino 5.0%, 3.1%: +1.9
Favre 5.0%, 3.3%: +1.7
Dawson 6.3%, 4.9%: +1.4
Jergensen: 5.9%, 4.5%: +1.4
Tarkington 5.3%, 4.1%: +1.2
Kelly 4.9%, 3.7%: +1.2
Elway 4.1%, 3.1%: +1.0
Moon 4.3%, 3.4%: +0.9
Unitas 5.6%, 4.9%: +0.7
Bledsoe 3.7%, 3.1%: +0.6
Aikman 3.5%, 3.0%: +0.5
Fouts: 4.5%, 4.3%: +0.2
Bradshaw 5.4%, 5.4%: 0

So, when it comes to "risk/reward" of some of the top passers of all time, Favre ranks comfortably fifth. For Young, too, you need to understand he had about half the full seasons as a starter that Brett had (and barely made the 8 season cutoff). This doesn't count Brady, who will certainly pass him once he finishes his 8th season."

the only thing I think you fail to take into account is the style of offense.
Its interesting that Young and montana are both near the top with their WCO that frequently saw passes of 0-5 yards.
Players like Manning, Marino, Favre, Aikman and Kelly (to a lesser extent) lived in vertical downfield passing offenses. Its not hard to avoid Ints when you throw a flare route...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #95
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The retirement of Brett Favre seems to have had a strange effect on me, a great desire to play FOF solo player. I haven't done it in a long time. I figured I would start with the super fabulous files others put out, start in the late 80's I think, and see if I can get Favre on the Packers and replay his career.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #96
st.cronin
General Manager

So what is the over/under on the maximum number of consecutive starts Aaron Rodgers gets? 12?

knives out
Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #97
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bet he starts 256 games in a row.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #98
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I bet he starts 256 games in a row.

Ill lay 250 against 25 on that
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #99
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So what is the over/under on the maximum number of consecutive starts Aaron Rodgers gets? 12?

That seems high to me.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #100
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wayne Fonts needs another head coaching job.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote