Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #51
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I do like the idea that's been floated for the next season. I don't think it counts as a spoiler, but...

Spoiler

Here's what I would like to see...

Four teams playing the game. But have there be two different team versus team "games" going on at one time.

Team A plays against Team B. (8 v 8)
Team C plays against Team D. (8 v 8)

The thing is, they don't know that there is another team game going on.

Each game merges at 10 players. (Team AB 10 players, Team CD 10 players)

Still they don't know of the other team.

Continue the game for 2 more eliminations so that each team now has 8 players.

Then at the next challenge usher them to a different challenge location where they find that they will be face to face against the other team.

But, before that challenge the teams get split up so that the two teams each have 4 players from each group.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #52
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, hated myself for watching that. This season is easily the worst season yet. They better do something big next season or this ship is sinking.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #53
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I don't understand what they're doing. I'm lost. Maybe the strategy is amazing and I'm the dumb one? Somebody explain.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #54
molson
General Manager

After reading the last two posts, then watching Survivor, I kind of expected something crazier.

Jill this week, Marty next week, and on top of all that they have the idol. Was the plan. Sash probably talked everyone into giving Marty another week - he didn't have the stomach to stab him in the back right now when Sash gave him his word, and Marty had no power and was no threat. (These people are all obsessed with who's a threat and who's not). Looks like the merger will get in the way and Marty will stick around. I think that's the story they're telling through editing, anyway. Marty was ALMOST gone and now he'll rally to the final 4 or better. (Or he'll just be gone next week, in which case, I'll be surprised, which is never a bad thing when watching these shows).

I'm starting to get into the characters a little bit, I think some of them are kind of interesting. I don't need to necessary "like anybody", of course, I liked Russell, so I'm sure I won't dislike anyone.

I think you do have to remember it's not like a sporting event where you're seeing the whole thing. You have to suspend disbelief a little bit and just try to go with whatever the editors want to tell you and not look for too much more.

Kind of dissapointed though, that the producers didn't throw out some kind of physical immunity challenge where the decision to keep Dan came into play a little more. Instead, he just had to hold a rope. Bad knees are not a detriment to a team when that's all you have to do.

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2010 at 10:10 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #55
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Jill this week, Marty next week, and on top of all that they have the idol. Was the plan.

Not so much confused about their strategy (though I would not have let Marty slither off the hook again before a merge that they should assume is coming). But why is Marty handing over his idol to an opposing alliance for no apparent reason when HE should know that the merge is coming?

I dunno, the strategy just seems incredibly sloppy to me this season. I'm in it till the end, but it's hard to follow a game that isn't proceeding with any logic. It's like a football game where coaches are just sprinkling in random punts on first, second, and third downs...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #56
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Not so much confused about their strategy (though I would not have let Marty slither off the hook again before a merge that they should assume is coming). But why is Marty handing over his idol to an opposing alliance for no apparent reason when HE should know that the merge is coming?

I dunno, the strategy just seems incredibly sloppy to me this season. I'm in it till the end, but it's hard to follow a game that isn't proceeding with any logic. It's like a football game where coaches are just sprinkling in random punts on first, second, and third downs...

It doesn't seem like a clear cut decision either way to me. He clearly was sick of the idol and thought it was pretty much useless (or a detriment) this early in the game anyway. He's been looking for outside-the-box ways to use it since he got it (like announcing he had it).

If he played it, he'd be out any the next elimination pre-merge.

If he kept it, he'd still be a target, pre-merge and post-merge.

If he gives it away, maybe the momentum of things shift in a way we didn't actually hear him analyze on-screen (but it was hinted at the tribal counsel - maybe Sash having that idol screws up that alliance, and Sash, who actually appears to be playing with some kind of real-world morals, will decide to start something with Marty instead). It's fair to assume, at least, that Marty wouldn't have given it away to Brenda, for example - Sash was his only chance to break out of his current situation. With or without a merger, if that alliance starts to break apart with trust issues related to an idol - Marty would look like a genius - whether he did that on purpose or not.

I agree that a lot of what has been portrayed is definitely sloppy, but I do think the producers thought a little sloppiness was necessary to avoid predictability. (The producers really seem to hate the situation where eliminations are lined up for the next few weeks - the second that happened with the older tribe this season, they switched up the tribe members) Time will tell how that works out.

And this is all coming from the perspective of someone who's only watched this for about 3 seasons. I don't think the producers want the show to become like a game of werewolf, where the most knowledgeable players seem to be speaking a different language and are all planning 8 steps ahead.

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #57
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

All of the strategy this season has been suspect at best, idiotic more the norm.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #58
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
I agree that a lot of what has been portrayed is definitely sloppy, but I do think the producers thought a little sloppiness was necessary to avoid predictability. (The producers really seem to hate the situation where eliminations are lined up for the next few weeks - the second that happened with the older tribe this season, they switched up the tribe members) Time will tell how that works out.

And this is all coming from the perspective of someone who's only watched this for about 3 seasons. I don't think the producers want the show to become like a game of werewolf, where the most knowledgeable players seem to be speaking a different language and are all planning 8 steps ahead.

Sound strategy does not necessarily mean predictability, though. Maybe this season suffers from coming right on the heels of Heroes v. Villains last season, but HVV was definitely not predictable and yet it was an outstanding season in terms of smart gameplay (outside of a couple of dumb missteps). It's just a real comedown from watching Parvati work to watching these people.

Along those lines, I think being overwhelmed by the idol to the point of giving it away to a non-ally is strategic weakness. By season 21 I would like to believe that people would have a better idea of how to use it, especially heading into a merge situation, which is usually the most wide-open and exciting time strategically.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #59
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post

By season 21 I would like to believe that people would have a better idea of how to use it, especially heading into a merge situation, which is usually the most wide-open and exciting time strategically.

If you've watched 21 seasons. I'm sure one of the questions on the application form deals with how familiar you are with the show, and I'm sure they don't want superfans (with an exception made for Jimmy Johnson).
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #60
kingfc22
Head Coach

Are you kidding me. TWO people quit.

Nay was all talk and such a bitch all season. Not sad at all to see her go. Too bad I think she's probably the type of individual who will see herself on TV and not realize that she needs a total personality and life outlook overhaul.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #61
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Are you kidding me. TWO people quit.

Nay was all talk and such a bitch all season. Not sad at all to see her go.

Not sad to see her go, but I do resent that I didn't get to see her get voted out, or go before the jury at F3, where I imagine she would have picked fights with just about every juror. Now we just get to see this loon help decide who wins the money. Gah.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #62
Atocep
Coordinator

I wish Jeff would have just sent them home and went with a smaller jury. Neither one deserves to have a say in who gets the million.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #63
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wish Jeff would have just sent them home and went with a smaller jury. Neither one deserves to have a say in who gets the million.

My problem with it isn't whether they "deserve" it or not, but it affects the balance of the game. Part of the game is how you handle other people from a relationship standpoint, and often times sure winners do not win solely based on how they acted around people who were getting voted out.

So neither of these two jurors now had to face which survivors would have stood up for them or which ones would have turned on them or anything of the sort, which dramatically changes the game in the sense of people who had friendships with them prior to quitting. It is very easy to say you are someone's friend in survivor, but sometimes it is very difficult to stand up for them with a vote if needed.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #64
Thomkal
Head Coach

I vote Kelly Purple (love that they called her that after the other Kelly was long gone) as the most insignificant/useless contestant in Survivor history. There were full episodes where she was never shown except participating in a challenge-no commentary about her game or other people, no strategy making, no drama, etc. Glad she and Nay are gone, but who knows though if Nay had somehow got to the Final 3 with Kelly Purple and Chase, she may really have won it lol. I just can't believe she went on that movie reward when given the chance to pass so the rest would get more food and a new tarp. Holly may win now for that action alone-can't believe she's still around after she nearly quit early on. Loved too how Holly kept looking at Nay before finally giving up on her and losing the reward
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #65
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I vote Kelly Purple (love that they called her that after the other Kelly was long gone) as the most insignificant/useless contestant in Survivor history. There were full episodes where she was never shown except participating in a challenge-no commentary about her game or other people, no strategy making, no drama, etc. Glad she and Nay are gone, but who knows though if Nay had somehow got to the Final 3 with Kelly Purple and Chase, she may really have won it lol. I just can't believe she went on that movie reward when given the chance to pass so the rest would get more food and a new tarp. Holly may win now for that action alone-can't believe she's still around after she nearly quit early on. Loved too how Holly kept looking at Nay before finally giving up on her and losing the reward

Holly earned a lot of respect by stepping out of the reward but probably put a target on her back as well.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #66
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I think it would be great if the Final 3 just told Jeff at the Final Tribal Council that they would not be answering questions from Nay and Kelly since they quit the game. They don't deserve their "moment in the sun" as a member of the jury. That way they get to vote and that's it. Not that its likely to happen, but would be great to see their reactions lol.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #67
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Holly earned a lot of respect by stepping out of the reward but probably put a target on her back as well.

Yeah she did, but who would you want out first-Jane or Holly? I think Jane has the bigger target on herself right now.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #68
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Happy for Fabio to get to the final 3. Super awesome. I've had various things going on that has kept me from watching the last few seasons of the show. I didn't realize it was a Final 3 deal now. Fabio's talking like he has to choose who is going to be the other two as well. Does the person with immunity choose that? I figured the four would still be casting votes.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So what happens if it is a 3 way tie?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #70
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Does that say a lot about the groupof Survivors when she is viewed as the most liekable?

As for the idea for next season I think it is a bad idea. More than ever you will see the strong players voted out early.

I also wonder it the Naonka/Purple Kelly rule extends to payment as well, such as a lesser share if you quit.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #71
Swaggs
Coordinator

I missed this.

Did they give any teases on what next season will be like (there had been rumors of Rob and Russell acting as captains)?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #72
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I missed this.

Did they give any teases on what next season will be like (there had been rumors of Rob and Russell acting as captains)?

Two things, one will affect the game, the other not so much.

One is changes for players who quit, such as they may not be on the jury.

The other is something the are calling Redemption Island. When someone gets voted out they go live there (in the same conditions as the tribes). Then when a second person gets voted out they go the island and have to face off against the person who was there in a challenge. The winner remains and the loser is out. That will continue until at some point the remaining person will return to the game (not sure when that will be).

I think this will make the strong players even more of a target early. Get them out so they have to waste their energy just trying to stay in the game.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #73
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

I think this will make the strong players even more of a target early. Get them out so they have to waste their energy just trying to stay in the game.

I'm not sure if it was clear from any of the previews whether the players knew that redemption island even existed (and that season has already filmed). That could make a difference, and I think things would be more interesting if redemption island was a secret to the active players.

Last edited by molson : 12-20-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #74
Atocep
Coordinator

I thought this season finished strong. It was terrible (one of the worst seasons so far) early on and just kept getting better.

I was happy to see Fabio win. I thought Sash played a solid game at times and then at other times just did some stupid shit. I can't believe he tried to tell Fabio he would have taken him to the final 3 when he knew he had 2 others that were obviously going to talk to him as well and neither would hesitate to set the record straight.

I don't think Chase deserved a single vote. I could have seen Sash getting a couple votes because maybe someone would look past all of his lying and BS and give him vote, but Chase? He played a terrible game from the start and admitted as much in the reunion. Seems like a really nice and genuine guy, but holy shit he was terrible at Survivor.

I'm looking forward to next season. The gimmick sounds more entertaining than the Old vs Young along with the medallion of power.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #75
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think redemption island heavily favors the physical game of survivor and hurts the social aspect. Maybe that is needed though as the game had seriously gone down the path of favoring social play over the past several years though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

i didnt see them do a show of hands for who voted for whom...i wanted to see who the other 2 for chase were.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #77
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Curious to see how they voted, as well.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #78
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So what happens if it is a 3 way tie?

Presumably since Jeff "tallies" the votes there, they would do a revote. But yes, great question. I'm not a fan of the 3-person finale.

I had heard a rumor about next season, and was surprised it wasn't announced:
Spoiler
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #79
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
i didnt see them do a show of hands for who voted for whom...i wanted to see who the other 2 for chase were.

According to Survivor Wiki
Spoiler
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was clear from any of the previews whether the players knew that redemption island even existed (and that season has already filmed). That could make a difference, and I think things would be more interesting if redemption island was a secret to the active players.

I believe Jeff said last night that the players would be made aware of redemption island when the game begins. CBS need to show all the shocked faces, discusssions of new strategies, etc.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #81
Thomkal
Head Coach

I too was surprised that Chase got four votes as he did play terribly and it seemed to be just ignored by both the contestants and the jury other than Marty of course. Just called him wishy-washy and paranoid, but yeah he's a nice looking and nice guy, so let's vote for him. :::rolls eyes:::

(spoiler, don't read if you haven't watched-spolier tag not working for me)

The surprise non-voter for Chase for me was Holly. I'm sure she wasn't thrilled with him for voting her out, but her question to Fabio made it seem like she didn't think his winning the final three immunities was enough to win.

(spoilers over)

Fabio deserved the win no matter how stupid he was at times. Winning the final 3 challenges, especially coming back from behind to beat all three of his main challengers in the one was an impressive feat-and it was a puzzle for gods sake! I thought the final vote would be heavily in his favor, but I forgot how awful these contestants were in general at playing this game.

question-was Yve and Jill there? I realized afterwards I never even saw them-Jeff didn't ask them anything and they weren't part of any major drama during the season so they didn't get featured. I really really hate that CBS devotes so little time of the hour to the reunion itself-those two "we'll be right back to Survivor reunion" after a long commercial break drive me crazy. Survivor's made you a lot of money over the years CBS, so how about you ease off on all the advertising during the reunion so it doesn't come off quite as rushed?

Oh and kudos to Jeff for completely shutting down Shannon. What a waste of space he is.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #82
molson
General Manager

Quote:
The surprise non-voter for Chase for me was Holly. I'm sure she wasn't thrilled with him for voting her out, but her question to Fabio made it seem like she didn't think his winning the final three immunities was enough to win.

Even Fabio thought that question from Holly was stupid, "don't you think winning the last 3 immunity challenges was too little too late"?

Fabio (paraphrasing): "What the fuck are you talking about? Would it have been better to win 3 immunity challenges earlier when I wasn't in danger? Stupid broad."

And ya, I did see now that the redemption island thing will be known upfront. I wonder if they'll know the outcome of the "duels" as things go on. That would play a lot into who gets voted off.

Last edited by molson : 12-20-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #83
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh and kudos to Jeff for completely shutting down Shannon. What a waste of space he is.

Yes. Guy was a total tool.

As for Fabio, I thought for certain his coins were going to topple over multiple times during that challenge. His stack just seemed so unstable compared to the other three.

I was also surprised it was that close. I was thinking more like 6-3, but still happy at the outcome. Sash's strategy was to basically apologize to everyone which obviously does not work. I also like how he got called out by numerous people for his annoying fake smile. I also found it very funny how Marty continued to pound Chase's "intelligence".
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #84
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Several weeks ago the only guy I felt I could root for was Fabio. Jane won some respect whooping up on the young boys and refusing to lose some endurance challenges. Her mental toughness outstrips even her physical strength. Overall though, she just wore thin for me.

Rarely does the guy I root for win. I was a Russel fan seasons past, and since I knew going in that he wouldn't win, the finale had sort of lacked any suspense. This show was a pleasant surprise for me. I expected Sash to get a vote or two, and I completely under estimated Chase's vote earning potential. I guess Alan T is right, the pendulum has swung too far toward the social. Out witting, and to some degree, out playing don't get you near as far as they should. You apparently just need to out last without actually pissing everyone off.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #85
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Oh and Jeff shutting Shannon down was very cool. Even more reason to like him as the host.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #86
molson
General Manager

Jeff Probst admits this wasn't the best season, and some other tidbits:

Jeff Probst teases 'Survivor: Nicaragua' finale - PopWrap
Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #87
Kodos
Resident Alien

I love Jeff. I think I would stop watching if he left the show. He actually cares when people quit, and takes people to task when they deserve it.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-20-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #88
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And ya, I did see now that the redemption island thing will be known upfront. I wonder if they'll know the outcome of the "duels" as things go on. That would play a lot into who gets voted off.

That is why I fear that the strong players will be early targets. Get them to where they have to fight it out and live in solitary just for a chance to get back in the game so whoever gets back will be weakened.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #89
Suicane75
Coordinator

What an atrocious season. The "strategists" were transparent as hell but the other half of the players were dumber than poop soup. It was ball aching to watch, but I did, so screw me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote