Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #51
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still down in the rookie league but I did have Volstad throw a no-no two games ago, which was kind of cool. I also screwed up my signup so my team name and player name are the same: BoilerUp

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 03-05-2011 at 05:43 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #52
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright, I am up to 16 pro teams and all but 1 dream team beaten. Sack, you're just riding King Felix's arm. I am trying to do with the fearsome Anibal Sanchez.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #53
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow at least I am not the only dork that signed up with the same team name and player name.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #54
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Alright, I am up to 16 pro teams and all but 1 dream team beaten. Sack, you're just riding King Felix's arm. I am trying to do with the fearsome Anibal Sanchez.

I can't wait until I have enough team points to ride King Felix's arm and Jose Bautista's bat. Just counting the days.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #55
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Well my team has advanced to the next level, not that I really know what that means other than the fact that I have a whole lot more points to spend.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #56
SackAttack
Head Coach

It means I get to ride King Felix's arm and Jose Bautista's bat. Whee!

Oh, and apparently the friend's list cap is 10 people. I'm full, now.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #57
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh, now we get into the fun part.

My opening day roster:

Cabrera (SS)
Granderson (CF)
Uggla (DH)
Rivera (LF)
Encarnacion (3B)
Hudson (2B)
Stubbs (RF)
Davis (1B)
Santana (C)

On the mound it's a rotation of Latos, Morrow, Vargas, Niemann and Maholm. Kerry Wood to set up Howell and hopefully not a lot of stressful late inning situations

Going to try and ride defense, team speed and pitching this season. Very curious to see if it works out.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #58
PilotMan
Head Coach

I can't login due to a server error this morning.

Like Steam?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #59
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I have had a major roster makeover, but we still lack a dominating front line pitcher, but overall we are very well balanced.

Like Steam?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #60
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm 3-0 in Single A thus far, hoping to keep that alive. I did beat all the levels of vs. CPU teams, so that was a huge points boost. I too am lacking a front line pitcher but am still solid anyway.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #61
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Finally got a solid pitcher with Justin Verlander. I also now have a pretty decent 1-4 in pitchers. I am wondering if I really need to go that deep in the rotation or not. I have a very good setup guy and just an average closer. As for hitters I recently got Jimmy Rollins. Not the best but still a decent hitter. Picked up C Brian McCann last night who is a 7 but is not all that much better than Ramon Hernandez who is a 5.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #62
Mike1409
High School Varsity

User: SP Lumber Comp.
Team: SP Lumber Comp.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What's the consensus on how to use your points? Burn 'em early? Save some?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #64
kingfc22
Head Coach

San Jose Smashers have been formed...kingfc22
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #65
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm up to 6-0 in Class A and face the other undefeated team in my world next. He is pretty stacked though and it looks like it'll be my first loss as my highest point player is a 7. He has three 9's that I'm facing in Longoria, Fielder, and his starting pitcher Jimenez.

As for when to spend points, I blew a ton early because I didn't know any better. I then had to grind through the MLB, Sega, and Legend teams to get points back, which took some time. It took time but I got a good amount of points for beating them all.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #66
Travis
Pro Rookie

For those sending friend requests, sorry if I don't respond right away. They've got a cap of 10 friends right now so I'm keeping them in the inbox (assuming they don't expire at some point) for when that cap is increased.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #67
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What's the consensus on how to use your points? Burn 'em early? Save some?

I can't speak to a consensus, but I can tell you that what I did was buy a few packs early, defeat the MLB, buy a few more packs, and then use my earnings from ranked matches and league games to build the bankroll back up. I'm sitting around 35k points right now with around 120 players on my total roster.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm killing with speed in this game. Have double the number of steals of any other team in my league. The runners in this game aren't held on second on grounders to the left side, so a leadoff hit followed by a steal can put you in great position for a run. Really starts to add up in a hurry. Only one 7 on offense with the rest 6 or lower. I couple all that speed with starters rated 10, 8, 8, 6, and 6. Setup man is 5 and closer is a 7. Trained all pitchers to their strengths rather than working on their weaknesses.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
For those sending friend requests, sorry if I don't respond right away. They've got a cap of 10 friends right now so I'm keeping them in the inbox (assuming they don't expire at some point) for when that cap is increased.

+1. Hope they do so.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #70
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

Friends list is full, so while I'd love to have all of you on my friends list, those of you adding me currently are going to sit in my inbox in the hopes that the list cap gets an expansion.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #71
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ok. I can't figure out how to get a scouted player onto my roster.

I searched the FAQ's but I'm obviously missing something.

Help!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #72
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Help!!!

Just kidding. I guess I should just finish the tutorial
Old 03-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #73
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Help!!!

Click the name of the player on the active roster you want to replace with your scouted player, click the 'replace' button at the bottom of that screen, choose the player you want to add to the active roster, and then hit 'update' at the bottom of the screen after the swap.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #74
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
San Jose Smashers have been formed...kingfc22

Were in the same pool! I just beat you 13-11!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #75
SackAttack
Head Coach

Something I've been thinking about over the past couple of hours.

1) The "Sega" team in my A league is 9-0. I suspect that team is going to end up winning at least 120 of the 150 games they'll play, if not more, and I suspect that's true of most A leagues. So even though there are four promotion spots, three humans is probably the most likely promotion scenario.

2) We're in the 3rd season of the cycle right now, which means that next season, everybody's team cost cap is going to drop. It may, therefore, be in your best interest to spend points on putting the strongest team you can out there *now*, with an eye toward promotion. That way, even though you'll be at your lowest cap of the cycle next season, it will be higher by virtue of being the lowest AA cap instead of the lowest A cap. That will result in less of a hit to the quality of your team.

Without that promotion, good players that you've been acquiring will likely not be usable in the next season, and I'm still unsure whether these contracts are for two seasons or two cycles. If seasons, those unusable players would disappear before you ever got the cap space back to use them again.

Just some long-term strategy thought.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm still unsure whether these contracts are for two seasons or two cycles.

The little screen at the beginning of the new season last night seemed pretty clear (I thought) that the contracts rolled over on the change of cycles.

Which still kind of confuses me since basically everyone we have will expire at the same time ... which maybe isn't confusing since it's their way of making sure that you have to keep buying players next cycle (and microtransactions have to be where this is all leading).
Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #77
Travis
Pro Rookie

From the reading I've done, I believe the contracts are cycles and not seasons, but that is just my opinion at this point and probably me hoping for the best

Anybody looking to trade? I'm in the market for corner infielders (preferably with high defense ratings) and potentially a closer. I think I'm around 110 players or so right now so depending on what you're looking for, we may be able to work something out.

I'm trying out the world trade route, but I'm already 0-2 going that way.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #78
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finished off the rest of the exhibition games and dream teams today. We aren't off to a great start, but we are in the upper half of our division.

Like Steam?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #79
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The little screen at the beginning of the new season last night seemed pretty clear (I thought) that the contracts rolled over on the change of cycles.

Which still kind of confuses me since basically everyone we have will expire at the same time ... which maybe isn't confusing since it's their way of making sure that you have to keep buying players next cycle (and microtransactions have to be where this is all leading).

Well, by the time they expire and leave the team, you'll have gotten at least one new crop in of players with a full two cycles, so you'll have some guys with 2 cycles and some guys with 1. It keeps you invested in the game.

I don't think it'll go fully microtransactions, but I could see something like the Madden Facebook game where you can spend real money right away for a pack, or save for some period of time to buy it with in-game currency, and possibly have an 'elite' pack only purchaseable with real money.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #80
samifan24
Pro Starter

The new cycle started this morning and it really opened things up on my roster. I went from 68 points to 110 points overnight. Now I can field an actual lineup of MLB stars rather than a couple of good players and some scrubs to fill out the lineup. I guess everyone's roster increases when you join an "A" league?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The new cycle started this morning and it really opened things up on my roster. I went from 68 points to 110 points overnight. Now I can field an actual lineup of MLB stars rather than a couple of good players and some scrubs to fill out the lineup. I guess everyone's roster increases when you join an "A" league?

Yep, looks like that. But it'll go back down sharply at the end of this season when we play season one of cycle 2 (assuming you don't promote up to AA).
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #82
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Yep, looks like that. But it'll go back down sharply at the end of this season when we play season one of cycle 2 (assuming you don't promote up to AA).

Which, knock wood, I'm on track for. 10-4 with one game left in the first day, four games behind SEGA 0045 for first place.

Undefeated assholes.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #83
SackAttack
Head Coach

11-4 finish to the first day, and Team Sega actually lost a game, so we're 3 games out of first now.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #84
kingfc22
Head Coach

Tried to win with a bunch of hitters but that didn't work.

Downgraded my lineup a bit and improved my starters. Went 3-1 to finish the day after losing a bunch earlier.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #85
SackAttack
Head Coach

Anybody interested in comparing notes on what training combinations have resulted in new skills?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

11-4 in 3rd place, thanks to a 9 game winning streak ... one of 5 teams with an 11-4 record, all of us trailing a 12-3
Zach Duke is 3-0, 1.50 as my #5 starter
Paul Konerko leads the league with HR, he's also my RBI leader with 20
Morneau has a 1.251 OBP,Nolan Reimold a 1.094

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-06-2011 at 10:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So I'm hanging in there pretty good, won my first game of the day, still in that logjam for 2nd. Bought the random packs for both scouting & training, figure I'm doing okay so far. I'm at the salary cap, figure I'll spend mostly on training as the day goes along, but I can't resist doing the occasional random scouting thing, grab a random fielder ... 1B Joey Votto 10*

To join a team that already has Konerko at 1b, Morneau at DH, and is second in the league in HR.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #88
PilotMan
Head Coach

11-6 and in 5th place, 7-3 in our last 10 games. ...first place has 2 teams at 13-4.

Octavio Dotel leads the team in wins and tied for #2 in the league with a 3-0 record out of the pen, but his 6.10 ERA isn't helping.

Ian Kennedy is 0-0 but has a #2 in the league, 1.35 ERA in three games, Ricky Nolasco is 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA. Nolasco has 20 K's in 18 innings. Heath Bell is 7 of 7 in saves with a 1.42 ERA.

Our hitters are struggling but we need them to come around soon. Jason Werth (.263-3-9, 5 SB (tied for 5th)), Hideki Matsui (.281-4-14), Ryan Sweeney (.323-4-8) and Casey Blake (.296-4-5) lead the team.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #89
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm at the salary cap, figure I'll spend mostly on training as the day goes along, but I can't resist doing the occasional random scouting thing, grab a random fielder ... 1B Joey Votto 10*

To join a team that already has Konerko at 1b, Morneau at DH, and is second in the league in HR.

My scouting today was a complete waste. The best player I was able to grab out of 3 complete stacks was *6 Jose Reyes.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #90
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Anybody interested in comparing notes on what training combinations have resulted in new skills?

This is just the training from my main roster, but you get the idea.

HITTERS

Run/Run/Fielding = Leadoff man (+2run/+1Fd)

Clutch/Contact/Contact = Discerning Eye (+2Ct/+1Cl)

Power/Cl/Pw = Blisterd Bat (+2pw/+Cl)

Pw/Pw/Ct = Splash Hit (+2Pw/+1ct)

Ct/Pw/PW = Splash Hit

Cl/Ct/Cl = Scratch Hit (+2cl/+1Ct)

Thr/Ct/Ct = Spray Hit (+2Ct/+Thr)

Pw/Ct/Ct = Igniter (+2Ct/+1Pw)

Ct/Cl/Cl = Discerning Eye

Thr/Thr/Fd = Stonewall (+2Thr/+1 Fd)

Cl/Pw/Ct = Nada

Cl/Thr/Ct/ = Nada

Fd/Thr/Fd = Wizard (+2Fd/+1 Th)

PITCHING

Speed/Speed/Speed = Nada

Cl/Sp/Cl = Out Pitch (+2Cl/+1 Sp)

Control/Break/Break = Jelly Legs (+2Bk/+1Ct)

Sp/Sp/Sp = Nada

Ct/Ct/Ct = Nada

Cl/Br/Br = Yacker (+2Bk/+1Cl)

Stamina/Ct/Ct = Pitchers Pitch (+2Ct/+1St)

Cl/Cl/Co = Cool Head (+2Cl/+1 Ct)

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A few more for the training thing
Clutch+Clutch+Fielding = "Boost" (+2 Cl, +1 Fd)
Clutch+Power+Clutch = "El Toro" (+2 Cl, +1 Pw)

Speed+Speed+Stamina = "Thunderbolt" (+2 Sp, +1 St)
Speed+Speed+Clutch = "Whiff" (+2 Sp, +1 Cl)
Control+Speed+Control = "Freeze the Hitter" (+2 Ct, +1 Sp)
Stamina+Speed+Stamina = "Pitching Machine" (+2 St, +1 Sp)

Looks as though the magic is Any 2 + Any 1 = Boost
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I like this game quite a bit for a couple reasons.

1. Although it's not interactive, the game display reminds me a lot of MicroLeague Baseball from when I was a kid.

2. The game allows you to be as active (or inactive) as you like.

3. It feels like fantasy baseball, except you get 15 game results a day which increases the interest IMO.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
except you get 15 game results a day which increases the interest IMO.

+1
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #94
Travis
Pro Rookie

Would also add, at least to this point it doesn't seem to be one of those "free" games where you still need to pay real money to have a shot at being one of the best teams.

That said, I'm nowhere close to understanding how their batting order synergy works. That part feels like a complete crapshoot and re-order until you get the best combo rather than taking into account hitter types and handedness. More often than not it says my lineup is at it's best when all my righties and lefties are grouped together, even if it means my worst hitters aren't as close to the bottom as they likely should be.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #95
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just racked up 1828 points in my last game. Wow! A 13-0 beatdown of the last place team in my division.

Like Steam?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #96
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm currently tied with the Sega team for the 4th spot in my division.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #97
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This is just the training from my main roster, but you get the idea.

HITTERS

Run/Run/Fielding = Leadoff man (+2run/+1Fd)

Clutch/Contact/Contact = Discerning Eye (+2Ct/+1Cl)

Power/Cl/Pw = Blisterd Bat (+2pw/+Cl)

Pw/Pw/Ct = Splash Hit (+2Pw/+1ct)

Ct/Pw/PW = Splash Hit

Cl/Ct/Cl = Scratch Hit (+2cl/+1Ct)

Thr/Ct/Ct = Spray Hit (+2Ct/+Thr)

Pw/Ct/Ct = Igniter (+2Ct/+1Pw)

Ct/Cl/Cl = Discerning Eye

Thr/Thr/Fd = Stonewall (+2Thr/+1 Fd)

Cl/Pw/Ct = Nada

Cl/Thr/Ct/ = Nada

Fd/Thr/Fd = Wizard (+2Fd/+1 Th)

PITCHING

Speed/Speed/Speed = Nada

Cl/Sp/Cl = Out Pitch (+2Cl/+1 Sp)

Control/Break/Break = Jelly Legs (+2Bk/+1Ct)

Sp/Sp/Sp = Nada

Ct/Ct/Ct = Nada

Cl/Br/Br = Yacker (+2Bk/+1Cl)

Stamina/Ct/Ct = Pitchers Pitch (+2Ct/+1St)

Cl/Cl/Co = Cool Head (+2Cl/+1 Ct)

Man, you've pulled more of those than I have. Your list encompasses all of the ones I've seen.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #98
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I'm currently tied with the Sega team for the 4th spot in my division.

The one in my division is 21-2 and running away with things.

I'm still in 3rd, but I've dropped a bit thanks to a bullpen that lost a couple late leads. Sitting 16-7 at the moment.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A 2-out seeing eye single to right by Howie Kendrick cost Kris Medlin (3-0) a no-hitter for me today. So close, he finishes with a 1-hit shutout to keep us tied for 1st.

FWIW, Team Sega is 16-7, two games back in 4th place.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #100
Travis
Pro Rookie

In addition to those above:

Pitchers
Ct, Ct, Bk = Crafty (Ct+2, Bk+1)

Sega is currently 18-5 in my league, good for a 1 game lead in the division. 4 teams are a game back with 2 teams (including myself) 3 back at 15-8. 8th place is 14-9 then there's a big drop to 9th at 11-12 and 10th is only 9-14.