Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #51
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
So the Jets have extended Claude Noel for 1 year. I'm not sure what to think of that. I don't really agree with the entire 'lame duck' concept for coaches (players aren't 'lame ducks' the year their contract expires, if anything people expect them to play harder). But if you do, does a 1-year extension really change anything? Isn't it basically a transparent "we don't want to hear the lame duck stuff anymore but we still don't really know if we like this coach" contract?

As for Noel himself, I really don't know what to make of him. He is trying to coach a pretty low-talent team, so it's hard to blame him for the teams record. At the same time, he hasn't really done anything obvious from a coaching perspective that has made me think "wow, this guy is good". He has battled with players (Burmi most famously), had terrible special teams, and done nothing novel in terms of any kind of systems. But at the same time, the Jets have come rather close to the playoffs both years and really do have a lot of Turd Fergusons filling the roster.

So....yay?

I pointed this out when Dan Bylsma just signed his 2 year extension.

July of 2008, Michel Therrien signed a 2 year extension. February 2009, he was out of a job.

If ownership is willing to eat a year of salary, he can be gone.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #52
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Congrats to the Grand Rapids Griffins winnings the Calder Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I guess now that the Calder Cup is in the Calder City, all is right with the world.

Congrats to the home team for first ever hockey championship. This will do wonders for the young Wings prospects. Tatar won the Butterfield trophy as best playoff performer with 16 goals in just 24 games. If he can perform half as well in the NHL for the Wings, we have a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #53
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Rumored that SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) has offered Bobrovsky $10M

Poor Columbus
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Flyers have announced they are buying out Bryzgalov.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #55
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think the Flyers are using the Jump To Conclusions map from Office Space to make their decisions at this point.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #56
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Brian Boucher is still active, right?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #57
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

Connecting the dots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Rumored that SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) has offered Bobrovsky $10M

Poor Columbus

Quote:

Bobrovsky to KHL. Bryzgalov to Columbus. Bryzgalov wins Vezina.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #58
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

TROLA

Found these at HF. Fantastic.

Quote:
Randy Miller
‏@RandyJMiller
i just called Bryz. He answered phone and said, "Congratulations to you guys," then hung up on me

Quote:
Randy Miller
‏@RandyJMiller
I phoned Bryz a second time to ask about #flyers buying him out. He said he doesn't want to talk and hung up on me again.

Quote:
Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller 21s
By the way ... I heard Bryz had 4 blowouts last season with Lavy. And I heard players couldn't stand him.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #59
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And now we see who overpays for Brian Bickell.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #60
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Alot of good stuff in here

Player Usage Charts
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Trying to understand what I'm looking at, does this link tell me that Claude Noel basically screwed Scheifele by starting him in his own zone and playing him against top players the majority of the time?

Player Usage Charts
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #62
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Trying to understand what I'm looking at, does this link tell me that Claude Noel basically screwed Scheifele by starting him in his own zone and playing him against top players the majority of the time?

Player Usage Charts

Yep

But I guess you can take out of that, while facing better opponents, and getting mainly defensive zone draws, he gave up less shots/60 than Jim Slater did against similar competition.

Slater, Miettinen, and Wright (and arguably Antropov) were worse. So he's not the worst on the team!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #63
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep

But I guess you can take out of that, while facing better opponents, and getting mainly defensive zone draws, he gave up less shots/60 than Jim Slater did against similar competition.

Slater, Miettinen, and Wright (and arguably Antropov) were worse. So he's not the worst on the team!

Cool, thanks! My interpretation is not that Scheifele wasn't good, it is that Noel didn't do anything to help him build confidence or really have much chance for success in the traditional form (ie points) while trying to make the team.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #64
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I try not to use the numbers to base opinion on a player, but more to reconcile what I believe I saw.

I'd bet Noel would say his numbers are because he kept him out of the top 6 to avoid putting pressure on him to need to produce immediately. Playing bottom 6 minutes, not going to see as many offensive zone draws. And similarly, opponents will load up their stars with o-zone faceoffs.

Very much a chicken/egg argument.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #65
BishopMVP
Coordinator

What do people think Nathan Horton will get as a UFA? 28 y/o, 2 very good playoff runs, but a middling regular season, and 2 pretty severe concussions in 2011 and 2012.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What do people think Nathan Horton will get as a UFA? 28 y/o, 2 very good playoff runs, but a middling regular season, and 2 pretty severe concussions in 2011 and 2012.

I think some team will throw money on him. He's got size, can score 30 goals, though the concussions and other injuries are a concern. I could see him getting $5 million a year or so for a decent number of years. I guess it depends a bit on the shoulder as well.

It's a pretty thin crop and he's pretty close to the top of it given his skill set and age.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #67
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
TROLA

Found these at HF. Fantastic.

Randy Miller got destroyed on twitter for his outbursts against Bryz and rightfully so.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #68
The Jackal
Coordinator

Sorry I wasn't here to support you earlier EF!

Despite being a Flyers fan I'm not really a trash talker (probably because I wasn't born in Philly...) - but I need a damn stanley cup.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #69
The Jackal
Coordinator

I would be ok with an Emery/Mason tandem. I do not want Nabokov.

Very excited for Sunday to get here to see what happens. Please do not trade Couturier, Homer.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #70
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think some team will throw money on him. He's got size, can score 30 goals, though the concussions and other injuries are a concern. I could see him getting $5 million a year or so for a decent number of years. I guess it depends a bit on the shoulder as well.

It's a pretty thin crop and he's pretty close to the top of it given his skill set and age.
That's the feeling I get too, but the media (and Chiarelli/Horton) seem to be implying he'll take a discount and be back. He made $4m this year, and even with Tuukka's raise we can fit him back in at that cap figure - I'd probably go up to $5m/y, especially if the years were 3-4, but 5+ years or >$5m/y and I think he's gone.

Jagr and Ference have been told we won't be re-signing them (I'm guessing Khudobin will be joining them, but maybe he'll re-sign if there's no interest), Kelly and Peverly are probably on the trade block - both solid players, but too high a cap figure to be bottom 6 forwards.

Media's trying to float trade rumors about Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin. I actually wouldn't mind Lucic being traded - yeah he's a great net-front presence, but his backchecking and breakout passes are terrible. Krejci and Horton did 90% of the work on that line. Seguin is the crazy one in my eyes - he doesn't dig in hard enough in the corners, but he's still only 21 and imo there's a really good chance he makes the leap in the next 2 years. He easily led the team in shots in the regular season and tied with Bergeron for the playoff lead even while being dropped down to the 3rd line for much of it - the fact that he had only 1 playoff goal (and Jagr had 0) was just bad luck rather than any severe drop-off in play.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #71
The Jackal
Coordinator

Trading Seguin would be pretty silly, what are they floating as what they'd be looking for in return?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #72
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's the feeling I get too, but the media (and Chiarelli/Horton) seem to be implying he'll take a discount and be back. He made $4m this year, and even with Tuukka's raise we can fit him back in at that cap figure - I'd probably go up to $5m/y, especially if the years were 3-4, but 5+ years or >$5m/y and I think he's gone.

Jagr and Ference have been told we won't be re-signing them (I'm guessing Khudobin will be joining them, but maybe he'll re-sign if there's no interest), Kelly and Peverly are probably on the trade block - both solid players, but too high a cap figure to be bottom 6 forwards.

Media's trying to float trade rumors about Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin. I actually wouldn't mind Lucic being traded - yeah he's a great net-front presence, but his backchecking and breakout passes are terrible. Krejci and Horton did 90% of the work on that line. Seguin is the crazy one in my eyes - he doesn't dig in hard enough in the corners, but he's still only 21 and imo there's a really good chance he makes the leap in the next 2 years. He easily led the team in shots in the regular season and tied with Bergeron for the playoff lead even while being dropped down to the 3rd line for much of it - the fact that he had only 1 playoff goal (and Jagr had 0) was just bad luck rather than any severe drop-off in play.

I won't profess to know what's waiting down in Providence, but who would be the replacements be?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #73
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins extend Kunitz for 3 years, $3.85m per, goes into effect 14-15 season. Slight bump from the $3.725m he is currently making.

Wonder if this spells the end for Dupuis. Shero and his agent have met a few times recently, but I think someone is offering him $4m+ for 4 years, and the Penguins can't match that.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #74
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Randy Miller got destroyed on twitter for his outbursts against Bryz and rightfully so.

I don't understand why any of the Philly media can get upset for what Bryz did to them. They are jerks that just stir up trouble. They whine when the players don't talk to them or give them good lines but when they do, the media twists and takes things out of context.

On a side note, I have spoken to Randy Miller and found out that he grew up on the same street that I did as a kid. No wonder he's always ripping the Flyers...he's a Pens fan...like his other beat writer buddy Panotch.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #75
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I don't understand why any of the Philly media can get upset for what Bryz did to them. They are jerks that just stir up trouble. They whine when the players don't talk to them or give them good lines but when they do, the media twists and takes things out of context.

On a side note, I have spoken to Randy Miller and found out that he grew up on the same street that I did as a kid. No wonder he's always ripping the Flyers...he's a Pens fan...like his other beat writer buddy Panotch.

Still space available on the bandwagon for you!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #76
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Still space available on the bandwagon for you!

I don't think you can fit me under the cap.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #77
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I don't think you can fit me under the cap.

We'll trade Crosby and Malkin to fit you in.

Then buy you out in 2 years.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #78
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tampa is buying out Vinny Lecavalier. Wow, that's a tough pill to swallow for Tampa. Huge money. He'd look great in red and white!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #79
The Jackal
Coordinator

I imagine Toronto/Montreal will make a very strong push for Vinny.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tampa is buying out Vinny Lecavalier. Wow, that's a tough pill to swallow for Tampa. Huge money. He'd look great in red and white!

Black and Gold baby!!

If only we didn't have Savard's dead-ass dragging our cap space down still (right?)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #81
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Black and Gold baby!!

If only we didn't have Savard's dead-ass dragging our cap space down still (right?)

Savard's contract only hurts them in the offseason (Same for Philly with Pronger).

Teams can be over the cap ceiling by 10% in the offseason.So up to $70.7m this year.

But, they must be cap compliant on the opening day of training camp, $64.3m. And can not stash players on LTIR until the start of the season.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #82
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Savard's contract only hurts them in the offseason (Same for Philly with Pronger).

Teams can be over the cap ceiling by 10% in the offseason.So up to $70.7m this year.

But, they must be cap compliant on the opening day of training camp, $64.3m. And can not stash players on LTIR until the start of the season.

Still - it hurts them. Couldn't the dude just fucking retire already - we all know he's never coming back, it's a fucking joke at this point.

Note: My anger shouldn't be taken as disrespect for his medical condition - we all know it's real. But I mean it's just patently obvious he'll never play another shift, so why not just frigging retire already?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-27-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #83
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Because he keeps getting paid?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #84
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Still - it hurts them. Couldn't the dude just fucking retire already - we all know he's never coming back, it's a fucking joke at this point.

Note: My anger shouldn't be taken as disrespect for his medical condition - we all know it's real. But I mean it's just patently obvious he'll never play another shift, so why not just frigging retire already?

You are allowed to ride that high horse once you turn down over ten million dollars for no reason at all.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #85
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Being rumored Letang turned down a deal from Pittsburgh, 8 years in the range of $55m.

So, if that's the case...he's traded by Sunday at the draft.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #86
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Being rumored Letang turned down a deal from Pittsburgh, 8 years in the range of $55m.

So, if that's the case...he's traded by Sunday at the draft.

I just read on twitter from one of the TSN guys that the Pens offered Letang a deal worth over $7 mil per.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #87
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Rumor was he wanted $7m+ and a NMC.

Guessing they didn't give him that. I understand from a Pens perspective. If 1/2 the prospects they have on D pan out, they'll have a top 4 that will cost a combined $7m for a few seasons, and would want to move him then.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #88
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

How could he turn that down? That's cray.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #89
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
How could he turn that down? That's cray.

Because if he makes it to UFA after next season, he'll be getting $8m probably
Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #90
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Because if he makes it to UFA after next season, he'll be getting $8m probably

Assuming he has another strong year and the playoffs were an aberration. That's quite the gamble. Maybe he just hates Cindy! Yeah, I'll go with that for now.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #91
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Trading Seguin would be pretty silly, what are they floating as what they'd be looking for in return?
Haven't even heard anything concrete, likely because it's so far-fetched. Even a trade like the Kessel one (which got us 2 top 10 picks used for Seguin and Dougie Hamilton) wouldn't be a good thing imo because Chara only has a couple more years left at an elite level.
Quote:
I won't profess to know what's waiting down in Providence, but who would be the replacements be?
Defense is fine from the farm... Hamilton, Bartkowski, Krug all got varying degrees of playoff time, and Maxim Chudinov is still out there in Russia. Up front, Soderberg finally came over and I liked what I saw when he played, Ryan Spooner looks very good, and Jared Knight has potential but was banged up most of the season. Khoklachev is likely a couple years away, and same with the other guys who might break out. (Again, I think it's unlikely based on Chiarelli's track record), but trading any one of those 3 (Marchand, Lucic, Seguin) would likely be to free up the cap room to sign Horton and another top 6 winger. I was surprised Chiarelli told Jagr we wouldn't be pursuing him - I had no illusions he would take $1 less to sign here, but if he wanted a fairly cheap 1 or 2 year deal I thought he fit in well here. If we trade Kelly or Peverly, we'd probably sign a veteran PK guy - both seem over-priced at $3m+ for their role, but what's the going rate for players like that now?
Quote:

Agree with SR here - Savard only costs $4m, so he fits in the difference there. If it was really hamstringing our moves I assume we would just use our amnesty/buy-out on him (unless there's a rule against using it on an injured player?)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #92
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Agree with SR here - Savard only costs $4m, so he fits in the difference there. If it was really hamstringing our moves I assume we would just use our amnesty/buy-out on him (unless there's a rule against using it on an injured player?)

Yep, can't buy out an injured guy. Main reason why MIN is stuck with Heatley. Same for SJ with Havlat.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damned Swedish thugs

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom assaulted, robbed in Sweden - ESPN
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #94
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MacKinnon or Jones? Which do you take with the #1?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #95
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
MacKinnon.

Seguin rumor is we're looking for a top 10 pick and an all-star forward. I guess is some team wants to give us all that, go for it, but it makes no sense. Chiarelli's basically banking on some team trading for Seguin based on him making the leap to franchise player in the next two years while showing no confidence in him actually doing so.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #96
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MacKinnon.

Seguin rumor is we're looking for a top 10 pick and an all-star forward. I guess is some team wants to give us all that, go for it, but it makes no sense. Chiarelli's basically banking on some team trading for Seguin based on him making the leap to franchise player in the next two years while showing no confidence in him actually doing so.

Yeah - no way they're going to get that for him.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #97
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

For Pittsburgh...Drouin.

Although would be nice to corner the market on Cole Harbour boys.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #98
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Letang deal done.

$58m over 8 years, $7.25m per. A little above what I was hoping for.

Limited NTC - 15 teams. Still leaves enough wiggle room, if, in a handful of years, all the D drafted in the past 3 seasons are pushing him, with much cheaper contracts.

Overall solid though. Still only at $3.5m next year when the cap dips, this won't kick in until 14-15, when Orpik and a few other contracts expire.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #99
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Really surprised the Rangers are keeping Richards. That's showing a lot of faith in the new coach.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #100
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Really surprised the Rangers are keeping Richards. That's showing a lot of faith in the new coach.
He's only a year away from putting up good stats, and wouldn't be the first small, skilled player whose production Torts hurt. Plus they can always buy him out next year I believe.

Mild surprise with Barkov going 2nd there. Nashville just had their Suter replacement fall into their laps.

Mike Smith 6 year, $5.7m AAV. Not a fan of that, as Tuuka should get at least $1m more. There's at least a one in 3 chance Smith's contract looks terrible within 2 seasons - he had one great year and an average one last year.