Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2015, 11:28 PM   #51
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm expecting Texas to win comfortably, but I'll be interested to see all the new kids suiting for for the Huskies. There's a ton of athleticism and talent in that 8-man recruiting class, and while it will take a while for them to gel and learn Romar's rotating man defense and figure out their roles offensively, I think this will be a dangerous team to face in the latter half of the season.

Marquese Chriss is a human pogo stick at PF with good shooting range. Dejounte Murray is a smooth, athletic wing that can pass, get to the hoop and shoot it from mid-range. Matisse Thybulle is still rather raw offensively but is the best athlete of the bunch. Dom Green is a terrific 3-point shooter. David Crisp is an undersized 2, but fearless and with a great shot from deep as well. Noah Dickerson is on the short side for a post, but has a knack of getting his shot off and hitting the boards.

Anyway, should be fun to see.

Congrats on the win. Those freshmen look real promising. Too bad for my cheering preferences that the Longhorns didn't play the first 30 like they did the last 10. Looks like it is gonna take several games for them to get the hang of the new system.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #52
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Congrats on the win. Those freshmen look real promising. Too bad for my cheering preferences that the Longhorns didn't play the first 30 like they did the last 10. Looks like it is gonna take several games for them to get the hang of the new system.
Let's hope both the refs and the players get settled into the new rules emphasis for this year. 88 free throw attempts? 60 fouls? Yowza.

Why I do get the feeling these two teams will meet again in a few weeks in the Bahamas?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #53
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Let's hope both the refs and the players get settled into the new rules emphasis for this year. 88 free throw attempts? 60 fouls? Yowza.

Why I do get the feeling these two teams will meet again in a few weeks in the Bahamas?

WVU shot 45 free throws today. Probably the most boring 107 points I've ever seen scored.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I was hoping the new shorter shot clock would limit Bill Walton's airtime, but no such luck.
I believe it was the good doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy who said of Walton "I'd pay real money if he'd shut up."
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #55
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina starts their last Big South season in Hawaii in a tournament against Nevada and Hawaii. Hard to say what kind of season the Chants will have-battling injuries already and lost top two scorers from last season to graduation. Think it will be a down year for them, but we shall see. Never know how the new players on the roster will turn out.

And it appears it will be a down season Lost to a 9 win Nevada team from a year ago 73-56. Ugh.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #56
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina starts their last Big South season in Hawaii in a tournament against Nevada and Hawaii. Hard to say what kind of season the Chants will have-battling injuries already and lost top two scorers from last season to graduation. Think it will be a down year for them, but we shall see. Never know how the new players on the roster will turn out.

Any word on whether the Sun Belt will go to 2 divisions next season, seeing as Coastal is team #12?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #57
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Any word on whether the Sun Belt will go to 2 divisions next season, seeing as Coastal is team #12?

Probably would make sense, but I haven't heard anything one way or another yet. I will try to remember to say something here it they decide.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #58
tarcone
Coordinator

Has ant BB conference gone to divisions?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #59
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Has ant BB conference gone to divisions?

It's pretty passe--15 years ago, maybe 25% of all conferences had divisions. Now it's just the MAC and the Ohio Valley that split their 12 evenly.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #60
Butter
Coordinator

On the eve of the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon, Dayton is preparing to participate for the first time, hosting Alabama. That game is at 1 PM tomorrow, and I'll be taking a half-day to be there in person. Not sure how the crowd is going to end up being, as there has been a lot of grumbling on the UD boards along with people incredulous as to why there is no secondary market for their prime seats for this game.

Typically we come within 1,000 seats of selling out the 13.5k Arena no matter the opponent, with sellouts very typical for good matchups. Tomorrow, I'm expecting a lot of empty seats and no walk-up crowd.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
On the eve of the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon, Dayton is preparing to participate for the first time, hosting Alabama. That game is at 1 PM tomorrow, and I'll be taking a half-day to be there in person. Not sure how the crowd is going to end up being, as there has been a lot of grumbling on the UD boards along with people incredulous as to why there is no secondary market for their prime seats for this game.

Typically we come within 1,000 seats of selling out the 13.5k Arena no matter the opponent, with sellouts very typical for good matchups. Tomorrow, I'm expecting a lot of empty seats and no walk-up crowd.
UMass hosted LSU for an 11am start recently. You hope for a big student turnout, because you just won't get most normal people to skip jobs and come unless it's hosting a Duke or Kentucky.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Huh, women's basketball has gone to quarters instead of halves. Here's the rationale - NCAA women's basketball adopts new rules, including four 10-min. quarters | NCAA.com
Old 11-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #63
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think these are good ideas, except for the extra piped-in music. Loud piped-in music really kills conversation and makes attendance more unpleasant.

Anything that reduces the time out mess at the end of the game is desperately needed. It's too bad the proposal to keep only two for the second half was rejected.

Unimportant but rather cute... Michigan has Madison Ristovski, formerly a Miss Basketball here but now a senior. She wears #1. The Wolverines played Detroit yesterday, which features her two little sisters, who wear #2 and #3.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 AM   #64
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kinda floating towards the FIBA rules, which IMO is a good thing.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #65
wade moore
lolzcat

W&M has a few OOC games with fofc poster schools . We play you guys this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #66
digamma
Torchbearer

Hi wade
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #67
wade moore
lolzcat

:wave

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #68
Atocep
Coordinator

We're only a game and a half into the season, but I think Izzo and Michigan State are learning why Huggins had no problem with Eron Harris leaving WVU.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #69
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Completely surprised MD came back to beat Georgetown. Typically a game they'd lose in the past, preseason #3 or not.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #70
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
UMass hosted LSU for an 11am start recently. You hope for a big student turnout, because you just won't get most normal people to skip jobs and come unless it's hosting a Duke or Kentucky.

Posted attendance was 12,118. It was more like 9-10 thousand. Traffic is usually a big issue around the Arena, and even moreso with this as many people weren't even seated until several minutes after tip.

But it was a good crowd, probably more people than I even expected. I sit near the top of the season ticket area, and there were absolutely no people behind me which means there were very few tickets sold beyond the season ticket people. There were 3 sad 'Bama fans behind me who were fairly excited when 'Bama was up 18-16, but quickly turned disgusted as UD took a 40-24 lead into halftime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
W&M has a few OOC games with fofc poster schools . We play you guys this year.

You are up next for us. Easily will be the toughest game we've played yet. W&M has already won 2 road games, so that shouldn't be a problem for them. Dayton has played very well early on, but has played 2 awful teams, so it's hard to tell how good they are just yet.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

We have some d3 school I've never heard of before the game Saturday. So basically extra practice. Unfortunately the game overlaps with a football game (that is for the conference title), so I won't be able to watch it.

I think it will be a good measuring stick game for both teams. Not sure how good NC State is or isn't and we struggled against Liberty more than we should have.

You guys have that X-factor of that crowd. A win at Dayton would be huge for this program right now.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #72
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, sadly I won't be there either as we are leaving for vacation Friday afternoon. Probably won't be able to watch it either as I'll be hanging out for the Clemson-Wake Forest football game around the time this tips.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to watch the KSU-Mizzou game in KC tonight. Fun to get back to playing some OOC games against some of our old rivals.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #74
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You guys have that X-factor of that crowd. A win at Dayton would be huge for this program right now.

W&M came close. They were up 11 in the first half and by 2 with under 90 seconds to go before UD pulled out a 3 point win.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #75
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great start to the season for the Canes. Love what Larranaga is doing.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #76
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton's early season games vs. FOFC poster favorites continues Thanksgiving night vs. Iowa.

Expecting a loss, but Dayton has done well in these early season tournaments in the past few years, so I'm hopeful.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #77
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ben Simmons getting the LeBron criticism for passing up on the game winner today. Still finished with 21 points, 20 rebounds, and 7 assists in the 1 point loss to Marquette.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #78
JeeberD
General Manager

UT-Arlington with wins at Ohio State and Memphis in the past week. I think their coach may have just made himself a whole lot of money.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #79
Kodos
Resident Alien

IU learns that not playing defense can lead to a loss.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #80
Groundhog
Coordinator

LSU falls to NC State in OT. Simmons just 1-6 shooting... but 16 rebounds, 10 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #81
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC is 4-0 for the first time in 15 years and looked very impressive in their win last night. Enfield and his staff have done a great job of bringing in some legitimate talent.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Dayton's early season games vs. FOFC poster favorites continues Thanksgiving night vs. Iowa.

Expecting a loss, but Dayton has done well in these early season tournaments in the past few years, so I'm hopeful.

Dayton beats Iowa by 5, then Monmouth by 3 to get into tomorrow's Advocare Invitational final against Xavier. First time UD and X will play since the New Big East formed. Fans are fired up, not sure the players will view this as anything but another game.

Should be a real good game that will probably be largely ignored as it comes on at 4:30 on an NFL Sunday.

Last edited by Butter : 11-28-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #83
Butter
Coordinator

It was NOT a real good game, Xavier controlled it from the outset winning 90-61.

In all 3 games that Dayton played, there were 50+ total fouls called. While I don't disagree that they need to crack down on the bumping and hand checking... they need to be a bit more reasonable about what is considered a bump. None of these games were particularly pleasurable to watch. It's a good thing that UD got some depth in the offseason with a lot of incoming freshmen, otherwise everyone would foul out of every game.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #84
nol
Banned

LSU is losing 17-39 at halftime to College of Charleston. NBA teams may not want to wait until March before doing their scouting on Ben Simmons.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #85
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
LSU is losing 17-39 at halftime to College of Charleston. NBA teams may not want to wait until March before doing their scouting on Ben Simmons.
The current MVP lost twice to CoC his last year.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #86
nol
Banned

Quote:

And also ended up playing in the NIT that year, hence what I said.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #87
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And also ended up playing in the NIT that year, hence what I said.
And you can't scout NIT games? Whatever, guess your snark was a little too oblique for me.

Is Johnny Jones in that Scott Drew/Rick Barnes category? Johnny O'Bryant, Jarell Martin, Jordan Mickey... he's had a lot of talent for no NCAA wins (and only one appearance) in his 3 years at LSU.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #88
nol
Banned

Quote:
And you can't scout NIT games? Whatever, guess your snark was a little too oblique for me.

Is Johnny Jones in that Scott Drew/Rick Barnes category? Johnny O'Bryant, Jarell Martin, Jordan Mickey... he's had a lot of talent for no NCAA wins (and only one appearance) in his 3 years at LSU.

Nope, some teams do not invest much in scouting and rely disproportionately on catching several prospects at once at NCAA tournament sites.

If the objective is to see if Ben Simmons will have improved enough over the course of the season to be proficient in a half-court offense against players who are at least approximately NBA-level athletes, the chances that happening are much worse in the NIT (and that would be assuming the players don't mentally check out due to a disappointing season/bad coaching staff and that LSU improves and beats a few teams outside the bottom 100).
Old 11-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Nope, some teams do not invest much in scouting and rely disproportionately on catching several prospects at once at NCAA tournament sites.

Jordan is notorious for this.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #90
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Based on what I've seen from Maryland thus far, I'm quite surprised to seem them hang with UNC, who is shooting lights out.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #91
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
UT-Arlington with wins at Ohio State and Memphis in the past week. I think their coach may have just made himself a whole lot of money.

UTA is legit. They took Texas to OT tonight in Austin. If they didn't have such a horrid night from 3 point range, they would have won easily.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Jordan is notorious for this.
Rich Cho modernized their front office a little bit, but yes Jordan still has veto power and isn't known for his foresight. Although if he was only scouting the tournament still hard to explain why they picked Kaminsky over Justise Winslow.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

Found the video. There was a sick dunk by Kerwin Roach for Texas tonight. He destroyed the guy from UTA.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #94
Kodos
Resident Alien

Pretty sure Duke is going to whip IU tonight.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #95
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Pretty sure Duke is going to whip IU tonight.

Thank goodness my fears were unjustified.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #96
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa beats FSU 78-75 in OT. Crazy ending. Iowa up by 4 with 10 seconds left. FSU kid shoots up a 3 over our 7 footer from about 25. Looking to draw the foul. No foul but he swished the chuck with 3.0 seconds left. Iowa hels on.

B1G wins the Challenge again, 8-6.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #97
Groundhog
Coordinator

LSU beat North Florida 119-108. Ben Simmons with 43 points on 15-20 shooting (and more impressively, 13-15 FTs), 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals, 3 blocks. LSU's halfcourt offense is basically trash (a lot of contested long 2s - Blakeney in particular), but when they get out on the break... wow.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #98
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
LSU beat North Florida 119-108. Ben Simmons with 43 points on 15-20 shooting (and more impressively, 13-15 FTs), 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals, 3 blocks. LSU's halfcourt offense is basically trash.

To say nothing of a defense that gives up 108 to a school called North Florida
Old 12-03-2015, 01:58 AM   #99
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:

One quick look and it says Davidson went 1-1 against CoC that year. It's different for Steph Curry anyways because he was a guarantee top 10-20 pick after his sophomore year. He stayed another year because Davidson's starting PG graduated, so Curry stayed to develop and showcase his point guard skills to improve his draft stock.

As for Ben Simmons, he should be averaging at least 20PPG in college playing for a mediocre team through talent alone. Hopefully his scoring improves because right now all I see is Lamar Odom with more upside

Last edited by wustin : 12-03-2015 at 01:59 AM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To say nothing of a defense that gives up 108 to a school called North Florida

NF has already beaten Illinois this year, beat Purdue last year.

from espn
North Florida entered the game first in the country in 3-pointers with 96, second in 3-pointers per game with 12.0 and sixth in 3-point shooting at 44 percent. The Ospreys made 58 percent of their 3-point shots (19-of-33).