Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #51
tarcone
Coordinator

here is a fun sirte to visit. It has a simulator. You plug your town in and it shows what type of eclipse you will see.

Eclipse Megamovie

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Well sure, if your only qualification for that is saying that more people in general are going to damage their eyes, than far more nuclear physicists are going to damage their eyes on Monday as well. On the other hand, if you want to imply that pot smokers as a group are far more likely to stare into the sun than any other group, then you've lost me. Conservative voters, for example, have proven to have much worse demonstrable judgment of how outside factors effect their own lives and health, as a group.

I am guessing you don't know many potheads?

I have lived with potheads for the past five years and at several other points in my life. I have many friends who partake. I have been working as a waiter and manager in the food industry for 25 years. My life is pretty mucb surrounded by 20 year olds who smoke regularly.

In case you weren't aware, pot sometimes leads users to be somewhat apathetic and forgetful. And some are looking at the eclipse as a great event to get high. If you don't think that could result in a greater percentage of potheads ending up with retina damage, well then you have a far rosier outlook on life than I do.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #53
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am guessing you don't know many potheads?

I have lived with potheads for the past five years and at several other points in my life. I have many friends who partake. I have been working as a waiter and manager in the food industry for 25 years. My life is pretty mucb surrounded by 20 year olds who smoke regularly.

In case you weren't aware, pot sometimes leads users to be somewhat apathetic and forgetful. And some are looking at the eclipse as a great event to get high. If you don't think that could result in a greater percentage of potheads ending up with retina damage, well then you have a far rosier outlook on life than I do.

I've been growing my own weed for 10 years now. I also spent 5 years as the lead line-cook in a 100-seat restaurant, if that speaks to you...the line is a decrepit, lawless place (as you likely know) and I sent other cooks home regularly for being too coked up, hallucinating on various psychedelics, zonked on pills, or just plain stumbling drunk. On the other hand if you strolled into dinner rush having just smoking some weed, you best have brought enough for the whole class.

Is the idea that inebriated people are more likely to stare into the sun logically sound? Entirely. Is it ridiculous that a dude literally named after liquor thinks that "apathetic and forgetful" pot smokers are somehow uniquely and especially prone to this, based on an article about pot-heads buying weed weeks early for the eclipse? Absolutely.

Edited to be slightly less of a dickhole.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #54
tarcone
Coordinator

Ok. Im burned out. All we see on the TV is eclipse stuff.

Lets get it on and get it over.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #55
Suicane75
Coordinator

I turn into a drooling doofus when I smoke pot. But I'm generally a drooling doofus to begin with. Most of the people who I know smoke are focused, goal oriented people and only become more so when they smoke. In my small sample size at least, it tends to bring out what was already there.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about the eclipse?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #56
molson
General Manager

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth hitting the road to get to to 100% totality or settle for the 99.5% at my house. I feel like that's probably a pretty significant 0.5%. 100% is about 40 minutes away in normal conditions, who knows what things will be like tomorrow (but I have a plan to minimize issues on the road).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Most of the people who I know smoke are focused, goal oriented people and only become more so when they smoke.

We definitely know different folks who ... imbibe. (or does that word only work when drinking?)

Quote:

No, you're definitely not alone.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #58
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
We definitely know different folks who ... imbibe. (or does that word only work when drinking?)

If you don't partake you're not likely to even identify the 'normal' pot-smokers in your circle of friends as he/she has no reason to announce themselves to you. On the other hand, the pot smokers you are going to be most likely to identify are the dipshits who have grasped onto weed smoking as an entire lifestyle, because they didn't have anything else to do in the first place. Dreadlocks, baja shirt, puka shell necklace, crushed velvet patchwork pants, we all know these guys. You should never trust anybody who looks like they buy their clothes in a head shop.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #59
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ok. Im burned out. All we see on the TV is eclipse stuff.

Lets get it on and get it over.

I feel that way about the Trump Presidency.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you don't partake you're not likely to even identify the 'normal' pot-smokers in your circle of friends as he/she has no reason to announce themselves to you. On the other hand, the pot smokers you are going to be most likely to identify are the dipshits who have grasped onto weed smoking as an entire lifestyle, because they didn't have anything else to do in the first place.

There's no such thing as a "normal" pot-smoker, unless you consider criminals "normal".

But I've known more who didn't fit the "look" than that did, and it extremely rare for one to come as a surprise. It ain't like the damage done is hard to spot.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #61
tarcone
Coordinator

I put my glasses on and went out and looked at the sun today. The sun is only about as big as a small nail head.

Tough to see. This may be more hype than anything for me. Esp. with my bad eyesight.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #62
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think when I smoked I was more careful about things than usual. It often took longer for me to make sure I was ready for things and I often found myself lost in thought analyzing something before acting, but in general my experience as a pretty heavy smoker for a long time was not one where I would find myself staring into the sun out of ignorance. If anything I would have ordered several different sets of glasses to ensure that I got more than one good set to use for viewing that I knew was up to par and not going to ruin my vision.

I do believe weed left me operating at less than optimal sharpness mentally, but it never left me in the realm or irresponsibility. While I was often more care free, I was never careless.

That said, I am ready for the eclipse tomorrow. Surprisingly it isn't crazy in town yet, but who knows what things will look like tomorrow afternoon. I have a set of verified glasses for myself and my family, and we are going to go out on foot to check this thing out, maybe snap a few photos, and call it a day. Thought about trying to capitalize financially by selling water or something, but too damn tired from our trip to Wilmington to give a shit.

By the way, if anyone ever goes to Wilmington, check out Platypus and Gnome and try the Wild Boar soup. Holy fuck.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #63
PilotMan
Head Coach

In Bowling Green tonight. Leaving here at 4a for Hopkinsville, then chill for a few hours. Traffic was busy, but not crazy busy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #64
tarcone
Coordinator

Hotels are full here. But thats it. Traffic was the same as usual.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #65
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It still kinda blows my mind that 'eclipse traffic' even exists....and did so as early as Friday. I'm going to settle for whatever the hell the eclipse looks like within a 100ft radius of where I'm sitting right now.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-20-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #66
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been growing my own weed for 10 years now. I also spent 5 years as the lead line-cook in a 100-seat restaurant, if that speaks to you...the line is a decrepit, lawless place (as you likely know) and I sent other cooks home regularly for being too coked up, hallucinating on various psychedelics, zonked on pills, or just plain stumbling drunk. On the other hand if you strolled into dinner rush having just smoking some weed, you best have brought enough for the whole class.

Is the idea that inebriated people are more likely to stare into the sun logically sound? Entirely. Is it ridiculous that a dude literally named after liquor thinks that "apathetic and forgetful" pot smokers are somehow uniquely and especially prone to this, based on an article about pot-heads buying weed weeks early for the eclipse? Absolutely.

Edited to be slightly less of a dickhole.

Looks like we both have much experience with this. I respect that you have had a different interpretation. You are welcome to it. You are free to disagree with me, but please allow for the slim possibility you don't know everything.

P.S. Chief Rum is a shortening of "Chief Running Mouth," a nickname I acquired in college and which long time members here no doubt consider apt. It has nothing to do with liquor. Not that I don't imbibe.

P.S.S. If you had to edit it down to this level to be "less of a dickhole," your pre-edit post must have been impressively assholeish.

Enjoy the eclipse.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #67
PilotMan
Head Coach

Made good time getting here from Bowling Green. Got in line to park 15 minutes before they opened and still waiting in line to park 30 minutes later. Really glad we got here this early, but I hope they don't bury us in the back of the lot or we'll never get out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #68
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
there.

I'm somewhat interested, but certainly not enough to travel anywhere for better viewing. I'll go for a walk in the afternoon when it's happening. No glasses. Not going to try looking at it. Might be more interesting watching what others are doing.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #69
tarcone
Coordinator

I cant believe schools are closed. Stupid.

Im hanging at home. Will watch on TV and occasionally pop out and look at it.
It will be hot and humid here.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #70
Butter
Coordinator

Even though it's only a near-total eclipse here, a few schools closed, and still others gave parents the option to keep their kids home.

My high school boys were pushing to be allowed to stay home, and I said "you are in high school, and are smart enough to know to not look straight at it after being told. So don't do it."
Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #71
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm interested, but certainly not enough to travel or bother with parsing out which glasses are the right ones. I'm quite certain my experience watching it online will be better than the net of whatever gain I might have gotten by seeing it "live" vs. the annoyance/inconvenience of going through the trouble to do so.

#IStandWithSaban

Nick Saban Solar Eclipse
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #72
corbes
College Benchwarmer

All you sheep who don't see this "eclipse" business for what it really is.

The Eclipse Conspiracy - The Atlantic
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #73
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight.
They say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by the moon
Y' know I don't see you when she walks in the room.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's pretty quiet here because a bunch of folks are out for the eclipse, strangely. Several friends went to travel to see family who are in the orbit of it. I had no idea it was such a rallying thing, but it might just be an excuse for people to day drink and see people they like on a weekday.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like we may have glasses after all, thanks to a last-second save from my sister-in-law. Got the Eclipse donuts from Krispee Creme so should be all set Science Channel is covering it pretty thoroughly if you need some place to see it. Lots of clouds and some thunder here so might not see much after all. The traffic heading south to the more "full-eclipse" areas was not fun today as it took forever to get to Krispee-Kreme

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-21-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #76
molson
General Manager

Crowded but not crazy in Ontario, Oregon. 2 Japanese tour buses but street parking still available. I'm already glad I made the 40 mile trip.

My parents are coming to town tomorrow, my father is the type that thinks everything like this is stupid and a waste of time. So of course I had to be here. Still rebelling a little at 39 years old.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #77
tarcone
Coordinator

A couple towns are having parties near us. My stupid town misses out again on an opportunity. I hate this town.

Quiet here. Traffic on a couple interstates is getting slow, but no big deal.

EDIT: Saw the eclipse on TV. But then saw it was Oregon. Hasnt started here.

Last edited by tarcone : 08-21-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #78
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cuz I'd miss you babe
And I don't want to miss a thing...
Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #79
Critch
lolzcat

Just been to the local high school to pick up some glasses, they had 1000 donated from NASA Goddard to distribute to the neighborhood.

My take from standing in line is that the school to take an hour one day and teach the kids how to stand in line properly like civilized adults, and not be friggin annoying for an hour.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #80
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heh. Forecast here was partly cloudy. It's raining and completely overcast.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #81
tarcone
Coordinator

Sun is 50% gone here.
I heard an interesting fact. With 99% coverage, that sliver of sun brightens the sky like 10,000 full moons.

That is the difference between 99% and totality.

Cool stuff.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #82
Thomkal
Head Coach

rain holding off here, but pretty cloudy. After experiencing the traffic going south today, and hearing on local TV about it, so glad we did not go anywhere.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #83
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That's interesting. I thought here in Ohio with my 88-89% coverage it would be pretty dark but apparently I probably won't notice much change eh

e: but im also dumb so

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-21-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #84
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Cloudy outside here today.

Looks like I wasted a half day of PTO.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #85
tarcone
Coordinator

That was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I am glad that I saw it.

I may head to Carbondale to see it again in 7 years.

Outstanding. Totality is a must see.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #86
Logan
Head Coach

I just turned on the NASA live feed site thing, heard "I think I can see Jupiter!" and could not have smashed the X button on the tab any quicker.

Last edited by Logan : 08-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

In Boston up on the 10 floor building with windows, like cloudy day also but it seems different. Not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #88
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. Just wow.

Flat out amazing. Im glad I got to see that. Incredible.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #89
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Looks like I wasted a half day of PTO.

Looks like if you aren't in the line of it, it's boring. Didn't see squat here.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #90
tarcone
Coordinator

I will say it again. You need to plan to go in 2024.

I see why people freaked out in earlier cultures. They must have thought it was the end of the world.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #91
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I will say it again. You need to plan to go in 2024.

I see why people freaked out in earlier cultures. They must have thought it was the end of the world.

I might do that.

Agree, that had to completely screw people up in early cultures.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #92
molson
General Manager

Pretty cool. Staring it through the glasses wasn't that exciting - probably not much different than seeing it on the internet. But it was fun being in a semi-woodsy area around some ducks and horses and seeing and feeling it go from brightest part of the day to almost-darkness and back. No traffic slowdowns on 84 getting there or coming back. I guess people around here were thinking more rural spots, not dirty Ontario.

Last edited by molson : 08-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #93
Easy Mac

Cool as it happened, but it was done in a flash. My dogs non reaction was crap.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #94
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Animals (cats and dogs) here as expected non-plussed, I find the half-light rather disconcerting myself tbh and can fully understand why some animals react strangely to the eclipse.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #95
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

It got really fucking dark, man. Wow. Pretty cool to see for sure. As soon as the totality was gone, it was an immediate day/night change, which was cool to see in real time like that. Felt like I was part of a time lapse.

FUCK EA
Old 08-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #96
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

It was amazing. we had some cloud coverage, but we gotto watch for a good bit of time. We only had 94% coverage, but still fantastic! I'm still geeking about it!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #97
tarcone
Coordinator

The corona was so cool. So so cool.

Wow. Im still just amazed by it.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #98
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'll try and be in the right place and have a good camera next time. Would love to get some quality photos of that to hang up around the house. The cell phone video I did get is pretty neat in its own right.. The change from dark to light was fascinating.

FUCK EA
Old 08-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #99
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sun came out of the clouds enough here finally to see what we got of the eclipse here. Got noticeably darker, but not totally, That lasted about 45 secs. Was wild viewing it through the glasses. Still glad we didn't try to go anywhere to see totality. Can say now I've seen an eclipse
Old 08-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

We were, according to the experts anyway, 99.1 percent here.
Most interesting thing about it was probably the "crescent shadows" and hearing the crickets & circadas go batshit for a few minutes.