Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #951
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Gave up Volquez too. Lot to give up. Especially, if Votto isn't signed long term and a crapshoot in left.

Votto is signed for two more years, the Reds are cashing in chips. Who knows what the 4 guys they gave up do.....they have Cueto, Chapman, Latos, Leake signed up for 4 years. They Bruce locked up. They have a better prospect in Mesoraco than Grandal. Volquez has been horrific for two years. It's a risk, but they have to go for it.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-17-2011 at 05:30 PM.
cougarfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #952
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Votto is signed for two more years, the Reds are cashing in chips. Who knows what the 4 guys they gave up do.....they have Cueto, Chapman, Latos, Leake signed up for 4 years. They Bruce locked up. They have a better prospect in Mesoraco than Grandal. Volquez has been horrific for two years. It's a risk, but they have to go for it.

They definitely just made themselves the NL Central favorites but they still have a massive hole in left and what will turn into a bigger hole than people think it will at third. Cozart will be livable at short. Heisy in left? Maybe. Rolen at third? Francisco? Not thrilled with either of those. They still have no right-handed power.

It's great to get pitching but I'm not sure they've really addressed their major issues going into the off season.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #953
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe the Padres traded for another 1b when they already have the Amazing Anthony Rizzo at that position.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #954
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
They definitely just made themselves the NL Central favorites but they still have a massive hole in left and what will turn into a bigger hole than people think it will at third. Cozart will be livable at short. Heisy in left? Maybe. Rolen at third? Francisco? Not thrilled with either of those. They still have no right-handed power.

It's great to get pitching but I'm not sure they've really addressed their major issues going into the off season.

The Reds were second in the league last year in runs scored. Their problem wasn't offense. This trade takes almost zero away from that offense.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #955
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Reds were second in the league last year in runs scored. Their problem wasn't offense. This trade takes almost zero away from that offense.

The offense was not consistent in getting those runs. I would rather win two of three games by scores of 5-2, 5-4, and 4-7 than to win one of three by scores of 10-2, 2-4, and 2-7 which is what made last year so frustrating.

Like I said, there's no excuse for them to lose the Central but this team isn't going to win the NL without addressing those holes on the left side somehow.

Last edited by rowech : 12-17-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #956
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm really happy with the trade. I wouldn't want to give up Alonso or Grandal for less than an ace, and that's what they got. Given the state of the Central they need to go all in this year. I'd like to see them get a better bat in LF, but Latos is a major upgrade. They now have a 1-2 combo that can stand up to anyone in the NL save Philly.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #957
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How is a 102 ERA+ pitcher considered an ace? By that metric, Jeff Karstens is like 10% better.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #958
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How is a 102 ERA+ pitcher considered an ace? By that metric, Jeff Karstens is like 10% better.

If you average his two full years he's a 114 ERA+. I think he's got growth potential at only 24 years of age. He isn't Halladay, but he's a #1 for a lot of teams in the NL.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #959
Logan
Head Coach

Was gonna say...he sure wasn't an ace for my fantasy team last season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #960
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

Well, I'll tell you what. You keep Karstens, and his 9.0 hits per nine innings from last year, along with his 1.2 hr/9 innings, and his 1.8 BB and 5.3 K rates.

I'll take Latos and his 7.8 H/9, his .7 hr/9, and his 2.9 BB and 8.6 K rate. We'll see who's better.

Oh, and Karstens makes roughly 3x the salary as well.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-17-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #961
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm really happy with the trade. I wouldn't want to give up Alonso or Grandal for less than an ace, and that's what they got. Given the state of the Central they need to go all in this year. I'd like to see them get a better bat in LF, but Latos is a major upgrade. They now have a 1-2 combo that can stand up to anyone in the NL save Philly.

I'm betting the Reds look into Kubel, Ludwick, or Beltran for LF. Sometime soon. I really hope the Reds owner goes in big time for Beltran.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #962
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I really hope the Reds owner goes in big time for Beltran.

This. I don't want him in STL.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #963
lungs
Pro Rookie

Latos is fine and all, but I don't see how this makes the Reds automatic Central favorites. Cardinals have Wainwright, and Carp and Garcia are no slouches. Brewers have all five of their rotation coming back. Gallardo and Greinke are no slouches at the top and Shaun Marcum's playoff implosion aside, he is a very good pitcher.

I'd handicap the Central as fairly even between the three. No way Latos alone makes Reds the clear front runners.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #964
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I'll tell you what. You keep Karstens, and his 9.0 hits per nine innings from last year, along with his 1.2 hr/9 innings, and his 1.8 BB and 5.3 K rates.

I'll take Latos and his 7.8 H/9, his .7 hr/9, and his 2.9 BB and 8.6 K rate. We'll see who's better.

Oh, and Karstens makes roughly 3x the salary as well.

3 WAR>2.6 WAR

I don't even particularly think Karstens is any good. But all the geek love for a guy who is fraction above league average. I am pretty surprised the guy did not perform that great, and brought back enough prospects to send über stud Anthony Rizzo to the bench.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #965
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Latos is fine and all, but I don't see how this makes the Reds automatic Central favorites. Cardinals have Wainwright, and Carp and Garcia are no slouches. Brewers have all five of their rotation coming back. Gallardo and Greinke are no slouches at the top and Shaun Marcum's playoff implosion aside, he is a very good pitcher.

I'd handicap the Central as fairly even between the three. No way Latos alone makes Reds the clear front runners.

I agree to that as well. No way are the Reds runaway favorites. I think some people are saying so because the Brew Crew will lose Fielder, and the Cards Pujols. Add in the fact that Braun may be gone for 50 games, and the Reds look that much better. I think eveything's pretty even right now, I don't think you could pick between the three right now.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #966
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
3 WAR>2.6 WAR

I don't even particularly think Karstens is any good. But all the geek love for a guy who is fraction above league average. I am pretty surprised the guy did not perform that great, and brought back enough prospects to send über stud Anthony Rizzo to the bench.
You're looking at metrics about how they did. If you look at metrics that attempt to remove factors out of his control (i.e. xFIP) - factors that are better about predicting future performance than WAR - you'll find that Latos projects as quite a bit better than Karstens.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #967
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
3 WAR>2.6 WAR

You're too focused on what he did in 2011. In '10 Latos pitched like a legitimate #1 starter as a 22 year old. He also pitched around 70 more innings than he ever had. Last year we saw some injuries and inconsistency from him, but he was still a 23 year old that struck out almost a batter per inning with less than 3 walks per 9. That's better than a tick above league average.

Yes, he's known to be a bit of an asshole but what we see this year will probably give us a better idea of what to expect from him in the future since he's a year removed from the big leap in innings and he's moving out of PETCO. I seriously doubt I could name 10 pitchers younger than 25 I'd take over Latos though. His floor at this point looks like #2 starter.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #968
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The NL Central favorites? Are you serious?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #969
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I don't think there is an NL Central favorite. I'd say it could go one of three ways. Like last year.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #970
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I don't think there is an NL Central favorite. I'd say it could go one of three ways. Like last year.

The Cardinals are without Pujols, but Wainwright is back - and even if he's not at his best, is a major plus to this starting pitching staff. We have also upgraded at SS, but can Furcal stay healthy?

The Brewers have lost Fielder and maybe Braun for 50 games.

Ok so the Reds added a #1 to their pitching staff.. but I think they still have some offensive holes to fill.

The Cubs? They lost their 3B - will they sign Fielder? If not, they don't worry me one bit.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #971
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Or are you saying the Cardinals are the favorites?

EDIT: There is no way the Cardinals are a better team then last year without Pujols. Is Carpenter losing steam or will he be great? Garcia regressed. The Brewers will be in a hole the first fifty games, will have to see if they add anybody. But the Central is notorious the past few years of nobody really jumping out. They will probably continue to beat each other and the Brewers may be down six games. The Reds have improved their team. See if Cozart can perform at short. See where Mesoraco is. Questionable what will happen to Chapman. But I don't see how with all these variables there can be a "clear" favorite.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 12-18-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #972
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The NL Central favorites? Are you serious?

Absolutely. They're the favorites just by the losses of Pujols, Fielder, and Braun's 50.

Last edited by rowech : 12-18-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #973
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Or are you saying the Cardinals are the favorites?

EDIT: There is no way the Cardinals are a better team then last year without Pujols. Is Carpenter losing steam or will he be great? Garcia regressed. The Brewers will be in a hole the first fifty games, will have to see if they add anybody. But the Central is notorious the past few years of nobody really jumping out. They will probably continue to beat each other and the Brewers may be down six games. The Reds have improved their team. See if Cozart can perform at short. See where Mesoraco is. Questionable what will happen to Chapman. But I don't see how with all these variables there can be a "clear" favorite.

More or less agreeing with you, I still think the Cardinals are the team to beat. I would also think a healthy Holliday will help offset losing Pujols.

This could all change with injuries/signings of course.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #974
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Absolutely. They're the favorites just by the losses of Pujols, Fielder, and Braun's 50.

You're high.

You are talking about the Reds who finished 17 games out last year, correct?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #975
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're high.

You are talking about the Reds who finished 17 games out last year, correct?

And the same team who won the division two years before. The thing about them compared to the other teams is their youth. The Reds, other than really Rolen and Arroyo, are only going to be better.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #976
lungs
Pro Rookie

I think it's pretty clear that the Brewers are the team to beat.

There. We've all annointed our favorite teams as the favorite.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #977
rowech
Pro Starter

I just think people are vastly underestimating how important Pujols and Fielder are going to be to those two teams.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #978
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I just think people are vastly underestimating how important Pujols and Fielder are going to be to those two teams.

Are you underestimating how much an improvement the Brewers will have not starting Yuniesky Betancourt and Casey McGehee every day?

I've seen some analysis that actually says that A. Ramirez/A. Gonzalez/Weeks/Gamel > McGehee/Betancourt/Weeks/Fielder.

Potentially losing Braun does hurt, but it's not the whole season. And I must reiterate the Brewers rotation comes back intact with the benefit of actually having a shortstop behind them.

Last edited by lungs : 12-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #979
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I think it's pretty clear that the Brewers are the team to beat.

There. We've all annointed our favorite teams as the favorite.

Screw you.. without Fielder you are nothing.

I'm with you though.. should be another good season for this division fighting it out.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #980
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Screw you.. without Fielder you are nothing.

I'm with you though.. should be another good season for this division fighting it out.

And with Pujols and LaRussa gone...... Oh wait, Carpenter and Yadi are still there, I still hate the Cardinals
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #981
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ed Wade back to the Phils in a scouting role. Good luck with that.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #982
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Ed Wade back to the Phils in a scouting role. Good luck with that.

He's been working for the Phillies for a few years now, so this is not much of a change.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #983
RedKingGold
College Starter

BTW, in all seriousness, I think Wade can actually scout talent. It's running a baseball team, making smart signings and trades, he struggles with.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 12-19-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #984
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
He's been working for the Phillies for a few years now, so this is not much of a change.

He probably just included himself in the Pence or Oswalt deals as a PTBNL.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #985
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rangers win the bid to negotiate with Yu Darvish.

Rangers post high bid for Yu Darvish - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #986
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Rangers replace CJ Wilson with Yu Darvish eh? Should be interesting to see whether he gets Dice-K money or more. Still, he's supposed to be the best pitcher in Japan and then some; never had an ERA above 2.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #987
RedKingGold
College Starter

So much for Toronto's "massive" offer (or whatever the wordage was).
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #988
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Rangers replace CJ Wilson with Yu Darvish eh? Should be interesting to see whether he gets Dice-K money or more. Still, he's supposed to be the best pitcher in Japan and then some; never had an ERA above 2.

Sounds like the contract is probably going to be more than both Dice-Ks and what they were offering to C.J. Wilson. I hope Nolan is proved right on this one.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #989
Suicane75
Coordinator

With the losses of Pujols, Fielder, Colvin and Alonso I think the Pirates are clearly the team to beat.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #990
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Well that is certainly the way to get back into it after the Angels took Pujols and Wilson.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #991
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Still think the Rangers are the best team in the AL West, IMO.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #992
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We lost by 100,000.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #993
DanGarion
Coordinator

How does the posting offer count towards the salary cap?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #994
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
How does the posting offer count towards the salary cap?

There is no salary cap in baseball. The amount where you pay the luxury tax starts at $178 million under the recently signed CBA, and the Rangers will be nowhere near that amount.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #995
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There is no salary cap in baseball. The amount where you pay the luxury tax starts at $178 million under the recently signed CBA, and the Rangers will be nowhere near that amount.

Sorry I meant the luxury tax, I know there isn't a cap.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #996
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Really enjoying watching that confident Blue Jay blogger eat shit.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #997
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Posting fees do not figure into luxury tax calculations at all.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #998
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Report: Daily News’ Bill Conlin Accused Of Child Molestation

Quote:
According to a report from the website Deadspin, legendary Daily News columnist Bill Conlin has resigned from the newspaper amid accusations of child molestation.

The accusations come from Conlin’s own employer, Philadelphia Media Networks, which owns the Inquirer, Daily News and Philly.com. Deadspin reports that Inquirer‘s investigative reporter Nancy Phillips has written a story containing allegations of child molestation against Conlin. Deadspin says Conlin resigned today.

The 77-year-old Conlin won baseball’s J.G. Taylor Spink Award Award last summer. Conlin reportedly has hired an attorney to defend himself against the accusation.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #999
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #1000
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Considering the bid for Yu was $51.7 million:

Rangers win Darvish rights with record bid - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Toronto MAY have indeed had a massive offer. Just not that insanely massive.