Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #951
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
*yawn* i hate NSD. It's such a circus and gives so much attention to these guys, just further feeding their already inflated ego's and making them think that they are special. and that thinking that they are special is what leads the to make fucked-up decisions later in life.

I was composing a reply about how it has turned into a bit much of a televised circus in recent years ... until I remembered that the network afflliates in Atlanta broke into programming with a live shot from Wrightsville, GA the night Herschel Walker signed with UGA nearly 30 years ago.

Point being that the phenomenon isn't really new, it's just amplified.

Quote:
How about a NSD for valedictorians with full scholarship offers for academics hmm?

Samdari beat me to the punch on this one, exams & term papers & the like aren't really much as spectator sports. Kind of logical then that we don't turn the entry into them into a spectator event either.

I mean, the real answer is that no one other than the parents & an administrator would attend the signing/declaration ceremony. And you'd still get no media coverage since virtually no one would read or watch meaning there's no revenue to be generated by covering it. And afaik there's no national signing deadline for academic scholarships so there isn't really a unified focal point even if there was a demand for coverage.

But in simple terms, there isn't an NSD for them largely because nobody really gives a fuck outside the parents who don't have to spend money on 4+ years of college.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #952
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
How about a NSD for valedictorians with full scholarship offers for academics hmm?

Didn't Ben or another of the Georgia contingent have a post with the pic of the girl that got the schollie to Georgia and the pic of the guy that got the schollie to Georgia Tech? I tried searching, but couldn't find the post. It was very enlightening.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 02-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #953
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, I got a fairly big local newspaper article when I got my academic scholarship to USC back in the day.

As far as the latest rumors, I'm hearing USC is still in the mix for Anderson and that he twittered that it is between WVU, Ohio State, and USC. He may wait to see what USC gets on signing day and then come out for a visit after NSD.

Bug, I'll be surprised if Riley doesn't end up a Bruin. The rumor is that USC has filled their slots at safety and Riley played his games for too long...
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #954
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't think USC is legitimately in it for Latwan Anderson. He had the opportunity to visit this past weekend and did not go.

This one will come down to whether or not his feelings were hurt enough by OSU failing to offer him until this late in the game. If his ego is big enough to be offended by not being option A for Ohio State, he will go to WVU, who has been after him and had him at the top of their board for over a year. I think he chooses WVU, but is getting a lot of pressure from family and his coaches (who are in OSU's pockets).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #955
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But in simple terms, there isn't an NSD for them largely because nobody really gives a fuck outside the parents who don't have to spend money on 4+ years of college.

one could say the same about college football - at least if one wasn't living/wasn't raised in a "college football hotbed."

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-01-2010 at 02:32 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #956
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
FWIW, I got a fairly big local newspaper article when I got my academic scholarship to USC back in the day.

awesome!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #957
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't think USC is legitimately in it for Latwan Anderson. He had the opportunity to visit this past weekend and did not go.

This one will come down to whether or not his feelings were hurt enough by OSU failing to offer him until this late in the game. If his ego is big enough to be offended by not being option A for Ohio State, he will go to WVU, who has been after him and had him at the top of their board for over a year. I think he chooses WVU, but is getting a lot of pressure from family and his coaches (who are in OSU's pockets).

Teddy do what Teddy do.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #958
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
one could say the same about college football - at least if one wasn't living/wasn't raised in a "college football hotbed."

Completely false. Media attention is much more amplified when a kid from a place that never produces D-I talent is committing to a major program.

Look at what happened with that kid who lied about his offers to Cal and Oregon, and that was BEFORE there was a national controversy.

Last edited by Logan : 02-01-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #959
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A USC guy posted on a Michigan forum saying multiple people are saying USC and UM are out for Parker. Sounds like UW's late push may have worked.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #960
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

DT Jeff Whitaker (Warner Robins, GA) commits to Auburn this afternoon. He's the #4 prospect in the state on the AJC Top 50.

I mention this because he did something I think was kind of cool, announcing today in order to avoid turning the NSD ceremony for their other commitments into a three-ring circus about him. If it's like usual, there'll be an assortment of players from the school heading to elsewhere, including some smaller programs.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #961
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you saying OSU bribes coaches? Just being clear here, as that sounded like quite the accusation
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #962
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Are you saying OSU bribes coaches? Just being clear here, as that sounded like quite the accusation

Their coach is Ted Ginn Sr. Now I am not saying he is dirty because he does a lot of work with other schools, but it's rare any elite talents from Glenville ever go anywhere but OSU.

Those kids OSU doesn't want? Sure they can go wherever.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #963
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Their coach is Ted Ginn Sr. Now I am not saying he is dirty because he does a lot of work with other schools, but it's rare any elite talents from Glenville ever go anywhere but OSU.

Those kids OSU doesn't want? Sure they can go wherever.

Thats fair, and if I remember correctly he had a son go to OSU. I didnt know the details of the situation, just saw the comment and had to raise a note of question. Did Ginn Sr. go to OSU as well?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 02-01-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #964
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A USC guy posted on a Michigan forum saying multiple people are saying USC and UM are out for Parker. Sounds like UW's late push may have worked.
Brandon Huffman of Scout.com has been suggesting that Washington has been very successful with their late push for Parker and are at least even with Michigan and USC, if not leading.

The Scout.com guys are also giving the Huskies a good shot at landing Ricky Heimuli.

Should be a very interesting Signing Day.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #965
MrBug708
Head Coach

Which Scout guys?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #966
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Which Scout guys?
I'll have to scan the Dawgman.com board again to see - I know that Chris Fetters has a strong positive feeling on Heimuli, but given his association with Dawgman I'm sure outsiders would just mark that down as homerism. I can't recall if Huffman also shares Fetters' view.

It's definitely Huffman that is pushing the view that Washington is looking good for Parker...
Old 02-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #967
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post

Not at all. But, it is no secret that Ginn Sr. steers his players towards Ohio State. I believe Glenville has sent as many as 7 players to the Buckeyes in a single season.

Back to the original thread, the folks I trust are indicating that it has been suggested to Anderson that he not send in a LOI until Ohio State counts up the LOIs that it receives and that the Buckeyes expect to have an opening for him. I haven't seen him comment on anything yet.

Nickell Robey is reportedly down to USC and WVU (he had been considering USF, as well) and will decide tonight with family and his HS coach (who is a WVU guy). Really hoping to get him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #968
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Reports out there that USC lost punter Matt Darr to Fresno State. Rumors are that the staff never contacted him and didn't feel they wanted to use a scholarship on a punter in this class. Assuming that this is true, I feel like this is the first mistake by the new staff. Darr was killing the ball consistently during the all-star week and has a consistent history of hitting it 50 plus yards.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #969
DeToxRox
Head Coach

4* OL Arie Koundijlo dropped Cal and has added New Mexico to his list.

I'll leave that speculation to everyone else.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #970
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, Bama fans are hearing Keenan Allen may decide to go to Cal now. He had been rumored to possibly flipping to Clemson. Should be interesting to see that one play out.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #971
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tony Dungy son Eric committed to Oregon.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #972
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Commit predictions 2010

Rivals predictions
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #973
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So I guess Parker and Shirley aren't top-100 in the Rivals rankings?

Heimuli to Utah certainly wouldn't be a surprise. I think the optimism the Dawgman guys have is that fact that Washington got his last visit and that he was high enough on them to keep them on his list without having visited until this weekend.

I guess we'll see on Wednesday.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #974
MJ4H
Coordinator

Despite that and what some boards are saying, Arkansas is in the mix for Shon Coleman.

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-01-2010 at 07:37 PM.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #975
MrBug708
Head Coach

Shirley looks to be #137 and Parker doesnt have a ranking
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #976
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Really hoping the U can snap up some of these late deciders (especially Henderson). A #20 recruiting class ain't gonna cut it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #977
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Also, Bama fans are hearing Keenan Allen may decide to go to Cal now. He had been rumored to possibly flipping to Clemson. Should be interesting to see that one play out.

This one is getting dirty...

Quote:
Want to know who may be responsible for Allen to Cal?
It is very simple. Go to
Oak Ridge Military Academy (OAK RIDGE, NC)

The name that will come up in the contact is none other than Athletic Director - Otis "my man" Yelverton. Now, you may ask how could the AD at a private military school have anything to do with the recruitment of Kennan Allen, Zack Maynard, Cousins, Gabe King and Chris McCain? Well, it would seem that OY was an assistant coach at Northern Guilford in the 08-09 season. That is where he befriended these kids and their families. He is now AD at Oakridge where none other than Stan Kowalewski is the basketball coach. SK is former Ivy League Basketball player that parlayed his education into a very profitable stay on Wall Street and took early retirement to Greensboro where bored with sitting at home decided to coach the Northern Guilford Boy's Basketball team. He won the State Title at Northern Guilford last year, but had the title stripped away very quickly. Seems SK did not think much of the "no recruitment" rules that apply to high school athletics and was caught moving parents into rental homes within the district so they could play for him at N Guilford. Problem was he got reported on very quickly and the Guilford County School Board was ask to investigate and turn the investigation over to the principal and the AD. Knowing he was getting investigated he offered to pay for both the principal and the AD and their wives to accompany his basketball team on a Christmas Trip to NY and OBTW he picked up the tab. It was also decided on this trip that he had not violated any rules. However, The Guilford school board did their own investigation and the principal, AD and coach were fired and the title was stripped. Then SK had the audacity to hold his own awards night where he paid for and presented each member of the team their State Championship Rings. Now I am not accusing SK of having anything to do with the KA situation. I only related this to show you the type of characters Otis Yelverton associates with and learns from.

Now back to Otis "my man" Yelverton. He is a recruiting pimp extraordinaire.He has had his hand out on every campus he has visited with recruits. In fact, NCSU, told him not to come back. Any wonder the KA/ZM trip to NCSU never materialized? If you go to his facebook site he is dressed head to toe in Cal Bear clothing.

I can promise you all these kids from Greensboro will not end up at Cal because they have a coach with connections and a history in Greensboro. No, the connection is none other than Otis "the pimp" Yelverton. It will be very interesting to see if he is not relocating to California next year as well. It is a known fact he is looking for a gig at a university in return for "services rendered".

Just thought you might want to know if these guys do not end up at Clemson, you know who was responsible. Of course, AL can say the same thing!

There are rumors of a Hummer limo taking them to the airport in g'boro last Friday and supposedly pictures etc.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #978
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This one is getting dirty...

There are rumors of a Hummer limo taking them to the airport in g'boro last Friday and supposedly pictures etc.

Very interesting. Kinda surprised this would happen at Cal but in recruiting nothing is terribly shocking.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #979
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LB Telvin Smith sticks with FSU, Dogs jilted again | AJC College Sports Recruiting

LB Telvin Smith (Lowndes Co HS, GA) sticks to his commitment to FSU after flirting with UGA.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #980
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

From what I've heard it comes down to whether he does what he wants or what everyone close to him is telling him to do. He's still telling our staff he wants to be a mountaineer, but there's a lot of pressure from friends, family, and his coaches to pick OSU.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #981
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Notre Dame picks up ATH Danny Spond (6'2, 240 4.69) QB Luke Massa, QB/ATH Derek Roback, TE/DE Bruce Heggie. Looking good on OT Matt James, S Jeremy Ioane and DE Kona Schwenke. Outside hope of LB Christian Jones or DE JR Ferguson. Seantrel Henderson, Dietrich Riley and Corey Cooper are the other 3 names still uncommitted, but nobody is giving ND any chance on them.

Brian Kelly definitely seems to go more for projection, with an eye to switching guys positions around later. Heggie (6'6, 240) reportedly did not have a D1 offer before ND. Sure it sounds good in theory, he's won elsewhere without 5*, and you can always point to specific examples of NFL stars who weren't highly recruited or drafted, but this table was posted elsewhere.

A 2-star player has a 0.5% chance of being a 1st round draft pick.
A 3-star player has a 0.8% chance of being a 1st round pick.
A 4-star player has a 4.0% chance of being a 1st round pick.
A 5-star player has a 21.4% chance of being a 1st round pick.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #982
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Keenan Allen called the Penn State staff yesterday to see if their scholarship offer was still on the table.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #983
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pullard seems to be leaning towards usc and zumwalt towards ucla
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #984
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pullard seems to be leaning towards usc and zumwalt towards ucla

I've heard the same. I'm very happy about that, mainly because of the Black Mamba implications. Of course, I'd be even happier if USC got both of them.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #985
Logan
Head Coach

Rashad Knight becomes a Scarlet Knight, citing Schiano reminding him of his mom as a reason...hahaha.

Last edited by Logan : 02-02-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #986
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rashard Knight becomes a Scarlet Knight, citing Schiano reminding him of his mom as a reason...hahaha.

Did he promise to chop wood for his mom?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #987
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Did he promise to chop wood for his mom?

For that talent, I hope he promised to lay the wood for his mom.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #988
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've heard the same. I'm very happy about that, mainly because of the Black Mamba implications. Of course, I'd be even happier if USC got both of them.

Zumwalt's the one to watch here. Supposedly, his decision factors into Pullard's decision. If Zumwalt goes to the Furd, Pullard will almost certainly be a Bruin. If Zumwalt goes to Westwood, Pullard seems to be a toss up, with a lean toward USC.

From what I have seen, Pullard wants to be a Bruin, but he also wants to play, and he thinks Zumwalt/Olaniyan/Barr and others is a lot of competition, whereas at USC he would be the unquestioned high profile recruit at the top of their list at that position, at least among HS recruits.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #989
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like the pullard domino is gonna falll
Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #990
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like the pullard domino is gonna falll

It does appear that way. I don't like to lose a good player, and especially to USC. That said, there is a bittersweet sort of irony that it appears UCLA's going to lose this guy because he's "afraid to compete".

I really hope we nail down Zumwalt, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #991
Logan
Head Coach

6'6" 4* WR Brandon Coleman to RU. Great day for the program with him and Knight, hopefully being topped off with Jeremy Deering choosing us over Florida State tonight.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #992
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It does appear that way. I don't like to lose a good player, and especially to USC. That said, there is a bittersweet sort of irony that it appears UCLA's going to lose this guy because he's "afraid to compete".

I really hope we nail down Zumwalt, though.

That's a nice spin, but it doesn't hold water if USC gets all of the linebackers that they are now rumored to have in the fold. Especially if they add Zumwalt to those they are already expecting.

By the way, is Tracy still on her rampage, threatening to ban people from BRO?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #993
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

A while back, a national recruiting expert said that Pullard was "All USC" when he was at the all star game before Pete left. Multiple people are now claiming that Pullard was a silent to USC the whole year and that "he and Black Mamba were determined to blaze their own path and break the Crenshaw pipeline."
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #994
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Keenan Allen called the Penn State staff yesterday to see if their scholarship offer was still on the table.

Interesting. Still a big long-shot, but that signing would probably put PSU back into the Rivals Top Ten, would it not?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #995
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
That's a nice spin, but it doesn't hold water if USC gets all of the linebackers that they are now rumored to have in the fold. Especially if they add Zumwalt to those they are already expecting.

By the way, is Tracy still on her rampage, threatening to ban people from BRO?

Ucla has taken/will take 8 lbers in this year and last years class (if zum comes and pullard doesn't). I think that was only a slight issue, but one that probably still plays a part.

Tracy was banning peope for stealing info. A lot of sites were taking his info and calling kids to find out if it was true. Grimble was called 22 times by USC writers in a 8 hour window and the pressure freom them, the usc recruits, and the coaches ended his visit. He doesn't want to do a disservice to the staff of UCLA
Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #996
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Interesting. Still a big long-shot, but that signing would probably put PSU back into the Rivals Top Ten, would it not?

Right now they are #8 so if Allen commits I think they would stay in the top 10. But like you I think it is a long shot because I think he already "silently" committed to Cal.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #997
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Kona Schwenke is strongly considering holding off on signing on Wednesday so he can take an official visit to Washington this weekend.

Greg Biggins is reporting that he hears Ricky Heimuli is a UCLA lean due to Norm Chow and his perception he can play right away there before heading out on his mission.

Biggins also confirms what others have said that Washington is coming on strong for Sean Parker, and that the Huskies are right there for Josh Shirley.

I'd love for the Huskies to land Heimuli, but given that he's going to take a mission and we already have Sione Potoae and Lawrence Lagafuaina committed, it's not a major blow if he chooses UCLA.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #998
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

It is my understanding (and this is not on any boards but here fwiw) after a phone conversation I just finished with that Keenan Allen nor Maynard now have a commitable offer to Clemson.

Apparently information has surfaced that has made CU coaches very nervous, and they have informed the family they are no longer able to offer.

I am also told that whatever information led to this decision has been forwarded to the ACC and NCAA clearinghouses.

I can not get what they found, but I have to wonder how bad it must bee for the staff to take this measure. I was also told that the coaches did not wait for the league to weigh in on the information before contacting the family.....

Bryce Brown times 5 anyone?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #999
MrBug708
Head Coach

Biggins thinks riley ends up at usc
Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #1000
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

CU Tiger, does this have to do with the whole "package deal" info that is floating around?