Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #1001
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
1. I would hate that, I love winter.

I see plenty of it when I travel. It's nice to come home and know it's generally going to be nice, that I can throw the football with the kids or go for a bike ride and generally enjoy the outdoors.

Quote:
2. When your house blows away during a hurricane we'll see who has the last laugh.

It'll take one big damn hurricane to blow my house away. It's rated to 150 MPH (that's not a safe room, that's the whole house) and sits 34 feet above sea level. The roof is wrapped to the frame, it's ICF (insulating concrete form) construction and I have storm shutters. If my house blows away, almost no one in south FL will be left alive.

Last edited by Blackadar : 11-10-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #1002
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Snow and -20's are fine for a bit but I'd be way happier if winter was a third of the year instead of the 6 months a year of garbage we get now.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #1003
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I hate winter... i hate very hot and humid.... I'm not sure this whole temperature thing is for me.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1004
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I see plenty of it when I travel. It's nice to come home and know it's generally going to be nice, that I can throw the football with the kids or go for a bike ride and generally enjoy the outdoors.

It'll take one big damn hurricane to blow my house away. It's rated to 150 MPH (that's not a safe room, that's the whole house) and sits 34 feet above sea level. The roof is wrapped to the frame, it's ICF (insulating concrete form) construction and I have storm shutters. If my house blows away, almost no one in south FL will be left alive.

Just never check out the La Palma doomsday tsunami theoretical event. You may have trouble sleeping.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #1005
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I have the same view of winter that I have of cancer. Fuck 'em. I get miserable once the temp drops below 50 degrees.

I have the same view. Unfortunately, I have been in the snow belt now for 44 years, and don't look to escape any time soon. Or ever.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #1006
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Just never check out the La Palma doomsday tsunami theoretical event. You may have trouble sleeping.

I'm on the Gulf Coast. The wave heights here aren't projected to get over 20 feet even on the worst case scenario.

It doesn't mean that a natural disaster couldn't wipe out my house. I just don't have the same risk that the houses built 30 years ago do or the ones close to the beach (like I could afford one of those anyway!).

Last edited by Blackadar : 11-10-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #1007
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

In the north metro of the Twin Cities, they're getting 10-14 inches of snow today and tonight. Lows below 0 in a night or two.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #1008
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like Blackadar is safe.

http://www.lapalma-tsunami.com/
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #1009
molson
General Manager

6 inches of snow on November 14 in Boise is definitely not supposed to happen. That's more than our average for an entire December. And I was supposed to drive up to Ketchum tomorrow. In my younger days, I wouldn't think twice about jumping on a snowy road if I had plans. Now I spend hours going back and forth thinking about it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #1010
PilotMan
Head Coach

Woke up to about 5 inches of very heavy snow this morning. School is cancelled for the first time this year. It's the earliest I can remember it being cancelled. Looking at the long range forecast it might be the last snow we get until late December.

Tomorrow is my anniversary and the high is going to be 20 degrees and windy on top of the snow we just got. According to the long range forecast it's not supposed to be this cold the rest of the year! Great timing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #1011
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About 3 inches and still snowing pretty heavily. The ground has a layer of slush, which will be fun when it gets down to 10 tonight. Roads weren't too bad coming in at 6.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #1012
Thomkal
Head Coach

We're supposed to have a high of 74 today...and then 49 tomorrow with lows in the 20's next two days. Brrrr!

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-17-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1013
Butter
Coordinator

5 inches of snow here just south of Dayton, and still going. Odd to get so much so early, but sounds like we're not in line for more anytime soon.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #1014
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Nice coating of ice on the roads here this morning.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #1015
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

This makes me less irritated about the 40 Degree rain we are getting.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #1016
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

-13c here right now, 'feels like' -21. Snowed a few inches over the weekend. Looks like January already. Yay.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #1017
JeeberD
General Manager

Got a millimeter or so of now last night. Even with that tiny amount of accumulation my (4yo) son was still begging me to go out and play in it this morning...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #1018
Thomkal
Head Coach

There has been some incredible pictures/videos of the "wall of snow" falling in parts of Western NY-some areas under it could get up to 60 inches.

Time-lapse shows why New York state is getting pounded with snow

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #1019
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
There has been some incredible pictures/videos of the "wall of snow" falling in parts of Western NY-some areas under it could get up to 60 inches.

Time-lapse shows why New York state is getting pounded with snow

And they're playing hockey there tonight! It's incredible, there aren't many people in the stands but there are more than I would've expected (I assume they walked). They're playing San Jose, I'd love to know what those poor souls are thinking...
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #1020
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
And they're playing hockey there tonight! It's incredible, there aren't many people in the stands but there are more than I would've expected (I assume they walked). They're playing San Jose, I'd love to know what those poor souls are thinking...

Yeah I saw that-I have to assume the arena is in the "less snowy" part of Buffalo, but the governor has declared a state of emergency in the state and its still snowing there. Kind of foolish to be playing with all that going on-dangerous for the fans to be there-just getting to and leaving-adding to the traffic. But probably would be hard to reschedule a team coming all the way from California.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #1021
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I was supposed to be up there this week. My customer cancelled when they were supposed to "only" get 2 feet of snow.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #1022
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just saw a blurb on CNN 6 people killed in the Buffalo storms.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #1023
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
If anyone listens very closely they can hear the entire city of Buffalo laughing.

Are they still laughing?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #1024
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 11-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #1025
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm sure they're proud of it, other than feeling sad for those who died. I was seeing someone who lives in Buffalo for a couple of years, so I traveled there a lot a few years back. They love their snow and take pride in how quickly they can move it around. What would shut pretty much everyone else down for three days they can take care of in less than one.

And here I am, less than 300 miles away, complaining about the 3-4 inches I just had to shovel. Doesn't feel like November.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #1026
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOL......I'm guessing school's going to be out for a few more days in western NY.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #1027
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good grief that's nuts.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #1028
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Good grief that's nuts.

I agree. I grew in arguably the snowiest city in the US (Syracuse) and only once do I recall that much snow (blizzard of 66) but that was three days of constant snow.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #1029
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I agree. I grew in arguably the snowiest city in the US (Syracuse) and only once do I recall that much snow (blizzard of 66) but that was three days of constant snow.

Probably took that person hours to shovel just that little bit. I have a big garage and would even worry about the driveway.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #1030
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

How the hell do you even shovel out of that?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #1031
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Probably took that person hours to shovel just that little bit. I have a big garage and would even worry about the driveway.

I have a picture of my dad shoveling about 4 feet of heavy, wet snow but I don't remember if you shovel the top then snowblow or vice versa.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #1032
MacroGuru
Coordinator

It was definitely a crazy event.

Where Render, Telle and I live we received maybe 18" of snow, but 15 minutes away they received 84" of snow.

As for School Days, you will see them all back on Monday.

The big fear is flooding now. As rain and temp rises (to 40's and 50's) will help melt some of that and way to fast.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #1033
Logan
Head Coach

Old adage is 10 inches of snow for 1 inch of rain, so that's a storm producing 8.4 inches of rain when considering the effects of flooding. Obviously it's not all melting at once but that could be really scary.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #1034
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Old adage is 10 inches of snow for 1 inch of rain, so that's a storm producing 8.4 inches of rain when considering the effects of flooding. Obviously it's not all melting at once but that could be really scary.

Only for the East and Midwest. In the Mountain West, it's about 24 inches = 1 inch of rain.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #1035
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Last night I hit snow around 730pm just south of Conneaut Ohio. I proceeded to spend the next 5 hourhours of driving barely cracking 30mph as I finished my route across rt6 in Pennsylvania. I'm pretty much over snow already.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #1036
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

And where did it go? There's a little from snowblowing that can be seen, but most of the snow that's been removed isn't in the picture.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #1037
CraigSca
Pro Starter

the worst is when the plows come and re-bury you with the hard, compacted snow.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #1038
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
the worst is when the plows come and re-bury you with the hard, compacted snow.

Yeah, I remember that too. I recall looking out of my front window when I was a kid waiting for one of these behemoths to come down the street. To my child's eyes, these were 2-stories high blades that obliterated everything in its path (but don't think they were that big in actuality). However, I remember them creating a road block at the end of the driveway that was deeper than anything we had gotten.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #1039
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I have a picture of my dad shoveling about 4 feet of heavy, wet snow but I don't remember if you shovel the top then snowblow or vice versa.

I remember a heavy snow in the 80's and we had a snow blower.. that thing was still hard to push and had to be fluffy snow.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #1040
PilotMan
Head Coach

The boys and I were out shoveling out 6 inches of snow this week and we were just finishing up our driveway when the plow came down the street blowing snow, ice and water all over. The driver actually slowed way down and went slow past our house so it minimized the damage done to our just finished work. Yay for courtesy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #1041
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Looks like he has a snow blower (in the picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And where did it go? There's a little from snowblowing that can be seen, but most of the snow that's been removed isn't in the picture.

Two things. One, I suspect some of it is out of the picture to the right. Two, the angle the picture was taken obscures this, but I would guess the areas with the disturbed snow (around the cleared areas) are much higher than the surrounding undisturbed snow, but you can't see that due to the picture angle.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #1042
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

71 today, snow on wednesday....

just glad i dont live in buffalo

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #1043
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Don't worry. That guy who shoveled out his driveway likely has two feet of water running into his garage/basement today since the water had nowhere to go but his shoveled area.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #1044
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Winter is back, -20's (-5F) for a high for the back end of this week and heavy snowfall warnings. Lovely.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #1045
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Winter is back, -20's (-5F) for a high for the back end of this week and heavy snowfall warnings. Lovely.

Yep, same here. Woke up to -27 this morning. High for Monday is -22. Throw in some nice prairie winds and it all adds up to serious bullshit.

I went for a run at lunch yesterday, -21. Wind was low but still made it 'feel like' -29. My face felt like it was going to burn off for the first 15 minutes until I could work up a sweat. Ugh.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1046
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I've permanently shut the blinds at my office...probably won't open them again until March.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #1047
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I've permanently shut the blinds at my office...probably won't open them again until March.

I'm just glad the weather was good for the west final. I think the players are pretty jacked to be playing indoors for the Grey Cup.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #1048
Suicane75
Coordinator

Wait, wasn't the Grey Cup just a few months ago?

Edit: Guess not. Where the hell did my year go.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 11-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #1049
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I'm just glad the weather was good for the west final. I think the players are pretty jacked to be playing indoors for the Grey Cup.

As a fan, though, I kind of like watching the crazy weather games...from my couch, of course.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #1050
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Schools closed in Portland, ME today (and apparently Boston & Chicago, probably other places), due to extreme cold. It was -10F before wind chill here at 6:00 AM, as I was walking the dog.

On the bright side, with weather this cold the poop you have to pick up freezes solid very quickly.