Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #1001
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Actually, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 2 wolves in each party. That just seems to make sense.

Agreed. I think most of us are going off that assumption as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #1002
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, I'll point out that the fact the rider was put on the BG bill and not the seer bill makes me think that if it is unbalanced, there are more Republican wolves than Democrat.

Why do you think the wolves even care what Party they're on?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #1003
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I guess it mostly had to do with Lathum changing his vote to you. We talked a little about why he voted (but not much, since I was very in-and-out), about how your vote seemed put there to save clap. When I got back after deadline, he told me his switch back wasn't a setup, but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

Well, I hope the fact that clap was a villager puts that theory to rest.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #1004
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

To cause the exact kind of bickering that is happening now. If we can't come together on issues, we won't get anything decent done to stop them.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #1005
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Do you have reason to believe those 3 are more likely to be villagers than any other people?

Odds, for one. There are either 4 or 5 wolves in the game in my estimation. With 3 guys out, unless the odds are better than 2:1, we are better off helping them win reelection to the body so that there are more villagers.

Now, if you can make a reasonable case that any of the three are wolves, you absolutely should. That would change the odds. But to encourage the expulsion of all three is an awful idea.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #1006
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, I hope the fact that clap was a villager puts that theory to rest.

Obviously. I'm referring to the discussion Lathum and I had last night. That's what you wanted to know about, right? What I was thinking last night?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #1007
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Odds, for one. There are either 4 or 5 wolves in the game in my estimation. With 3 guys out, unless the odds are better than 2:1, we are better off helping them win reelection to the body so that there are more villagers.

Now, if you can make a reasonable case that any of the three are wolves, you absolutely should. That would change the odds. But to encourage the expulsion of all three is an awful idea.

Sorry, I should have been more clear -- I was asking about the 3 individually, not as one group.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #1008
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
No no, I didn't mean that as a knock on you. Not at all.

Just that I like people, in general, in all games, to explain themselves. Ya never know when a wolf might make a goof, however minor, ya know?

Just personal preference. I hate that almost as much as I hate ties.

Not to defend Lathum, but he is a left coaster now. Your choice is probably either having KWhit chime in or leaving the allegation hanging out there for 3 hours until Lathum gets on himself.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #1009
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
How do you think it makes us feel when we should be doing much better than we are? The rider falling on our bill day one was a big blow to us, since we decided (bi-partisanly, I might add), to veto it. That veto really hurt us, but (good decision or bad) it was done for the good of the 'village' at the Dems expense.

Also, I'll point out that the fact the rider was put on the BG bill and not the seer bill makes me think that if it is unbalanced, there are more Republican wolves than Democrat.

Agreed, that rider/veto stung you guys. But I'm becoming increasingly wary in this game of people who say one thing and do another. Dems did a lot of that the first two days of this game.

Overall, I'm not trying to make this overly partisan. After all, no good guys win if the Wolves win. It's just see things like this

- Dems talk up to remind the Repubs to get re-elected, then fail to do so.

- Dems preach bi-partisanship, to the point I friggin handed you guys the Speaker position, only to see the Speakers' bill fail and Dems vote as a block to errantly vote out a non-wolf Republican

I'd like to think that a chunk of that is honest mistakes, but surely you can see where I'd be silly to blindly accept them as such.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #1010
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Obviously. I'm referring to the discussion Lathum and I had last night. That's what you wanted to know about, right? What I was thinking last night?

Yes, yes. I was just pointing out for everyone's benefit that the thought that I was trying to save anyone last night is incorrect.

Just basically trying to connect the dots for anyone who might be skimming through later and picked up the "trying to save clap" comment without really thinking it through.

In other words, just covering my ass.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #1011
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Not to defend Lathum, but he is a left coaster now. Your choice is probably either having KWhit chime in or leaving the allegation hanging out there for 3 hours until Lathum gets on himself.

I'm a left-coaster as well (though I work practically East Coast hours) and would've had zero problem with waiting for a response.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to knock KWhit for responding there, I get it.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #1012
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear -- I was asking about the 3 individually, not as one group.

Fair enough, then. I would agree that each should be considered individually. But I would also say that the inclination, absent a reasonable case to the contrary, should be to help them get reelected back to the body.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #1013
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:

- Dems talk up to remind the Repubs to get re-elected, then fail to do so.

Not like we had much say in the outcome of that, to be fair.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #1014
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post

Yeah, really.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #1015
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Agreed. I think most of us are going off that assumption as well.

Initially, I did too. But the more and more this game progresses, I'm seeing that the partisanship is going to interfere with things that a general 14:4 ratio when coupled with

A) CR making a move to re-balance for the wolves with the vetos and

B) CR basically saying we're getting near the precipice of how powerful the village will be

makes me think that he may have saw that in advance and adjusted accordingly. 14:4 is a pretty tight ratio in even just a "straight up" game of WW. With the complex rule set and partisan issues I wouldn't be surprised to see it as 15:3
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #1016
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

You guys could have helped yourselves out by voting for who you thought was a wolf, instead of for party lines.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #1017
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Sure you did. If not, then why were you each bothering to tell us the rhetoric that about 4 or 5 of you spouted at me during the initial speaker vote?

I had the same choice there as you had yesterday (in the wolf vote), to go for the benefit of the party or the benefit of the constituents. I chose the constituents, you chose the party.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #1018
Tyrith
College Starter

I concur with heinz on pretty much all those points.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #1019
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Since the Dems are still preaching bi-partisanship (conveniently as they're the trailing party) I'd love to hear from them how the move to vote generally as a block on clap was orchestrated (I presume in their party thread).

I think looking closely at who pushed that move could be a great start to finding Wolf #1.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #1020
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Fair enough, then. I would agree that each should be considered individually. But I would also say that the inclination, absent a reasonable case to the contrary, should be to help them get reelected back to the body.

I agree with this -- just trying to separate the rhetoric from the sensibility.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #1021
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Ya know, I find it downright hilarious that all game long the Dems have warned us Repubs about how we have to worry about getting re-elected, how we shouldn't go against their ideas because our constituents won't like it, how our bills are horribly unconstitutional and what happens?

3 dems lose their seats and the bill proposed by the Democratic Speaker gets ruled unconstitutional.

I'm not trying to play a partisan game here, but since frankly the tone of you Dems up to this point aggrivated me to the point of barely caring about the game yesterday, this deserves pointing out.

If nothing, since I think a 14:4 starting ratio would be too strong, it makes me think that if we're facing 3 wolves, 2 of them are Dems.

Wow. This is a very important post.

1) Dems, including myself, urged GOP members to OPPOSE democratic bills if they were on the far end of the spectrum, like Clap and Tyrith, to better ensure their reelection.
2)CR's writeup makes it pretty clear that the veto and Clap's lynching, not our voting records, was responsible for the butt-kicking we took.
3) CR also made it abundantly clear that the bill was vetoed -- not because it was unconstitutional -- but because we passed 3 bills and he felt 2 was enough. He also went out of his way to state that he had, in fact, told Dems that the bill was constitutional before we submitted it.
4) 3 wolves? That seems extremely light to me, and minimizing the wolf threat always strikes me the wrong way.

That is a lot of factual errors all knotted up into one post. This is a strong effort to sow mistrust between the villagers.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #1022
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, yes. I was just pointing out for everyone's benefit that the thought that I was trying to save anyone last night is incorrect.

Just basically trying to connect the dots for anyone who might be skimming through later and picked up the "trying to save clap" comment without really thinking it through.

In other words, just covering my ass.

That's fine, I understand! My turn to ask: I know why you voted Mrs. Schmidty, but what made you change to clap in the end? I feel like you only hurt yourself with a late vote for a non-wolf, so what was the reasoning?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #1023
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Why do you think the wolves even care what Party they're on?

Good question. I don't know.

Like I said, though, I think it's split 50-50. But, I was surprised when the wolves put the rider on the BG bill instead of the seer bill.

I personally think the seer role is more powerful (by a LOT) than the Bodyguard, so was wondering why the wolves would do that.

One possible explanation is to hurt the Dems (I'm not sure it's a particularly good explanation, but I can't come up with any others right now).
Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #1024
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I don't see 14:4 as being too strong, especially since we have potential for a lot of roles here.

Could be right. I guess what I'm getting at would be that when the game first started I would've thought it about a 90+% that it was 14/4. As I play more though and get a better handle on things, I think it's more like 50/50 or 60/40 that it's 4 wolves or less. 4 wouldn't "shock" me, but I'm no longer essentially ruling out less than 4.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #1025
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
4) 3 wolves? That seems extremely light to me, and minimizing the wolf threat always strikes me the wrong way.

Over dramatizing the threat is equally bad. 5 wolves, remember? How crazy is that? I don't even think I have to go further.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #1026
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wow. This is a very important post.

1) Dems, including myself, urged GOP members to OPPOSE democratic bills if they were on the far end of the spectrum, like Clap and Tyrith, to better ensure their reelection.
2)CR's writeup makes it pretty clear that the veto and Clap's lynching, not our voting records, was responsible for the butt-kicking we took.
3) CR also made it abundantly clear that the bill was vetoed -- not because it was unconstitutional -- but because we passed 3 bills and he felt 2 was enough. He also went out of his way to state that he had, in fact, told Dems that the bill was constitutional before we submitted it.

That is a lot of factual errors all knotted up into one post. This is a strong effort to sow mistrust between the villagers.

I think that's a pretty lame attempt to paint a rosy picture of the actions of the Dems during the first two days.

1) I agree, and that's good. But while you guys had plenty of time and werewithal to do that, you found time to paint me in a bad light over the Speaker issue and neglect your own re-elections

2) Clap's lynching is exactly what I'm talking about. You all basically jumped on clap because you could, without regard really to if he was a wolf or how being incorrect would effect you.

3) Agreed, but I think the Dems chose to swing for the fences too much on that bill. Heck when I left yesterday with just a few hours to deadline there was still talk of altering it as people weren't sure. It was the responsiblity of Chubby and those he worked with to make sure something got passed, anything better than nothing.

4) I disagree. Like I said, I'm not ruling out 4, but I'm no longer ruling out 3. It's really neither here nor there, for all intents and purposes I'll hunt for wolves until the game is over, more a point of information. YMMV.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #1027
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
That's fine, I understand! My turn to ask: I know why you voted Mrs. Schmidty, but what made you change to clap in the end? I feel like you only hurt yourself with a late vote for a non-wolf, so what was the reasoning?

Well, I got back into the thread at about 9:50 last night (this main thread, I read it before the Dem Party thread). I started reading and then saw that CR had extended the deadline. By that point it was getting really close to 10, so I flew through the thread and saw it was tied. I don't know what the tiebreaker is, and there is a Dem and a Repub there at the top (neither one of which I thought was a wolf), but didn't want a no-lynch and decided that of the two choices, I'd go with the party and vote for Clap - especially since I was peeved at him for putting the first vote of the day on ME - the party leader (that, more than anything pissed off many of the Dems and started the big block voting earlier in the day).

So I put a last second vote on Clap.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #1028
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

KWhit, since you're here and frankly I'm ok with you wolf-wise right now...

How did the initial decision go down to essentially vote as a block against clap?

If anything, with the way that all went down, you look good in my eyes since you didn't appear to want to retaliate, you had a vote elsewhere pretty much all day, etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #1029
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
You guys could have helped yourselves out by voting for who you thought was a wolf, instead of for party lines.

What wolfish information did you have to base your party-line vote on Henry? This would be important for our caucus to determine whether or not to help him to get reelected.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #1030
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
What wolfish information did you have to base your party-line vote on Henry? This would be important for our caucus to determine whether or not to help him to get reelected.

First of all, we didn't all vote for henry. I don't know if the information we had was wolfish or not -- do you have reason to believe henry was good? If so, I agree that it's worth looking into.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #1031
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Maybe I misunderstood -- were you asking if our information was wolfish, or what read we had on him being a wolf?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #1032
KWhit
Coordinator

The decision was essentially, "Why the hell is he voting for our leader for no reason?" Because frankly, at that point, I was a really poor choice for a lynch vote, IMO, as I was doing a lot to help the villagers (maybe you Repubs didn't see as much of it as the Dems, but I was working my butt off to figure out the ruleset and run things by CR, etc...).

Now, I saw it as Clap just voting for the person on the far left side of the spectrum, but it was not really a well-thought out vote, IMO, so many Dems jumped on it quickly. I tried not to take it personally, and wanted to put my vote elsewhere, but honestly, I didn't lobby in the Dem thread one way or the other. Just put my vote out there and said a couple of things in this thread about, "Let's focus on wolves, not partisanship" and left for the night (or so I thought, since I knew I wouldn't be back until after 9:00).
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #1033
Tyrith
College Starter

So...yesterday's vote was about you guys being angry? ....*holds back saying anything else*
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #1034
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
First of all, we didn't all vote for henry. I don't know if the information we had was wolfish or not -- do you have reason to believe henry was good? If so, I agree that it's worth looking into.

This brings up an interesting point in this game. Most of the posts that people are making are in their party thread - but the party is unlikely to vote for one of their own. So we're going to consistently be voting mostly blind.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #1035
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:

We didn't. It was, if we're throwing darts against the democratic wall we might as well pick something that might get us somewhere if things broke our way. That said, I was not upset to see clap die, as long as I didn't have to have a hand in it.

I don't blame you guys for voting party line for clap yesterday, although I wish you had done it for reasons other than being ticked off. It's that entire mess with Lathum voting for KWhit and then not voting for KWhit that has me irked at your side of the fence. And I'm not exactly in a rush to return Lathum to our august body.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #1036
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
This brings up an interesting point in this game. Most of the posts that people are making are in their party thread - but the party is unlikely to vote for one of their own. So we're going to consistently be voting mostly blind.

We have about half as many party posts as you guys do :P
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #1037
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
So...yesterday's vote was about you guys being angry? ....*holds back saying anything else*

No. That's not right, exactly. And certainly not what I meant to say. That was an initial part of it, but no. It wasn't out of anger per se. But it came across as reactionary to his vote of me.

Now there was likely some emotion as well as some analyzation in that reaction.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #1038
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The decision was essentially, "Why the hell is he voting for our leader for no reason?" Because frankly, at that point, I was a really poor choice for a lynch vote, IMO, as I was doing a lot to help the villagers (maybe you Repubs didn't see as much of it as the Dems, but I was working my butt off to figure out the ruleset and run things by CR, etc...).

Now, I saw it as Clap just voting for the person on the far left side of the spectrum, but it was not really a well-thought out vote, IMO, so many Dems jumped on it quickly. I tried not to take it personally, and wanted to put my vote elsewhere, but honestly, I didn't lobby in the Dem thread one way or the other. Just put my vote out there and said a couple of things in this thread about, "Let's focus on wolves, not partisanship" and left for the night (or so I thought, since I knew I wouldn't be back until after 9:00).

Yeah, I'd agree clap's vote was a bad one. I was not very pleased at all and frankly had Day One of this game not turned me off as much as it did I would've ripped him much further in our thread than I did.

I don't know how averse you are to talking about Dem thread stuff here, but if you're open to it, I'd love to know the names of any folks in the dem thread who pushed to just pile on him. Of course I can see that a bit here, but the order is comprimised. I just want to get the wolves man, but I understand if you don't want to talk about Dem thread stuff to all of us.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #1039
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
We didn't. It was, if we're throwing darts against the democratic wall we might as well pick something that might get us somewhere if things broke our way. That said, I was not upset to see clap die, as long as I didn't have to have a hand in it.

I don't blame you guys for voting party line for clap yesterday, although I wish you had done it for reasons other than being ticked off. It's that entire mess with Lathum voting for KWhit and then not voting for KWhit that has me irked at your side of the fence. And I'm not exactly in a rush to return Lathum to our august body.

I'm not exactly happy about his vote for me, either.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #1040
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood -- were you asking if our information was wolfish, or what read we had on him being a wolf?

The latter. A bunch of Dems jumped on Clap because he went after KWhit. What was the justification for picking on Henry?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #1041
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
No. That's not right, exactly. And certainly not what I meant to say. That was an initial part of it, but no. It wasn't out of anger per se. But it came across as reactionary to his vote of me.

Now there was likely some emotion as well as some analyzation in that reaction.

Votes stayed on Clap for 2 reasons -- 1) No other member of either party stood out as a wolf; and 2) there is a penalty to changing votes.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #1042
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
I don't know how averse you are to talking about Dem thread stuff here, but if you're open to it, I'd love to know the names of any folks in the dem thread who pushed to just pile on him. Of course I can see that a bit here, but the order is comprimised. I just want to get the wolves man, but I understand if you don't want to talk about Dem thread stuff to all of us.

The votes for Clap happened quickly and spontaneously, with no discussion, really. Someone posted "Clap just voted to lynch KWhit," and *bang* Clap found himself with a bunch of retaliatory votes.

Honestly, I was headed over to the thread to vote against him myself, but when I saw that he had already been slammed, I decided to keep my powder dry.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #1043
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
The latter. A bunch of Dems jumped on Clap because he went after KWhit. What was the justification for picking on Henry?

When clap made his vote, we were like "oh shit" -- there was some talk of us all following on that vote, thinking that if we didn't, you guys would get one of us voted out. But then we decided to wait and see what you guys did (my suggestion), thinking that if we had to make clap change his vote, it wouldn't be the end of the world -- especially since it was his fault for voting without really talking it through. IIRC, three votes came pretty quickly for clap, and we just figured "it's on" and attacked someone who seemed weak.

This sounds like it's the same, but there's a big difference. We started the votes first, but you started the bandwagon first. IMO, a bandwagon needs to be defended against, but one vote does not.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #1044
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

For me I voted henry because we were a bit forced to. 4 Dem votes in succession, including 3 in consecutive posts pretty much tipped us (well me at least) as to how the Dems were planning to vote as far as censures.

When I left it was 5-3-2 or 4-2-1 with Clap having the big chunk, Mrs. S having the least and Henry with the middle.

I wanted to vote for a clap pile'r on'er but PF, the 2nd voter, wasn't eligible. That left 2 people I didn't have a wolf read on (yet), Path and Lathum or just vote Henry since I had to split. Since Henry had the bonus of helping me directly, I made the vote I did.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #1045
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
When clap made his vote, we were like "oh shit" -- there was some talk of us all following on that vote, thinking that if we didn't, you guys would get one of us voted out. But then we decided to wait and see what you guys did (my suggestion), thinking that if we had to make clap change his vote, it wouldn't be the end of the world -- especially since it was his fault for voting without really talking it through. IIRC, three votes came pretty quickly for clap, and we just figured "it's on" and attacked someone who seemed weak.

This sounds like it's the same, but there's a big difference. We started the votes first, but you started the bandwagon first. IMO, a bandwagon needs to be defended against, but one vote does not.

Well, it wasn't really premeditated. It just sort of happened.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #1046
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't think PF was ineligible from lynching -- I think he was just automatically re-elected.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #1047
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The votes for Clap happened quickly and spontaneously, with no discussion, really. Someone posted "Clap just voted to lynch KWhit," and *bang* Clap found himself with a bunch of retaliatory votes.

Honestly, I was headed over to the thread to vote against him myself, but when I saw that he had already been slammed, I decided to keep my powder dry.

Yeah, frankly your vote for Mrs. Schmidty gives you a tick of favor in my eyes, truth be told.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #1048
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I don't think PF was ineligible from lynching -- I think he was just automatically re-elected.

From da rulez

"Presidential candidates cannot be voted on as wolves during their candidacy. Votes for them during the presidential election day cycle will be ignored."
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #1049
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
From da rulez

"Presidential candidates cannot be voted on as wolves during their candidacy. Votes for them during the presidential election day cycle will be ignored."

Ah, thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #1050
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

I see what you are saying. I'm still new at this. There certainly could be a wolf in the 3 quick votes that hit Clap after he voted for KWhit. Clap makes a little mistake and the wolves can start a landslide while retaining plausible deniability.