Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #1051
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - I can't overstate how much wind makes a difference. When I took the dog out last night it was about 5 but the wind was whipping and it was absolutely miserable. When I took him out this morning it was -10 but mainly still and it was considerably less miserable.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #1052
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Schools closed in Portland, ME today (and apparently Boston & Chicago, probably other places), due to extreme cold. It was -10F before wind chill here at 6:00 AM, as I was walking the dog.

On the bright side, with weather this cold the poop you have to pick up freezes solid very quickly.

That seems bizarre to me. I would have thought that you guys were far enough north that they wouldn't shut things down. I get closing schools when it's cold in southern places where the schools may not have furnaces but aren't you guys equipped for cold? If -10F was the requirement schools would be closed for weeks a year here (and I couldn't imagine how ofter they'd be closed in Winnipeg).
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #1053
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
That seems bizarre to me. I would have thought that you guys were far enough north that they wouldn't shut things down. I get closing schools when it's cold in southern places where the schools may not have furnaces but aren't you guys equipped for cold? If -10F was the requirement schools would be closed for weeks a year here (and I couldn't imagine how ofter they'd be closed in Winnipeg).

I think we'd just have to abandon public school here.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #1054
tarcone
Coordinator

As for school closings. In this sue happy society, where parents don't monitor their children, schools get paranoid that a kid will be standing at the bus stop for 20 minutes, in dangerous cold, dressed in shorts and a hoodie. Then when the kid gets frostbite, the parents will sue the district.
Closing the schools is more a statement on parenting then on extreme cold.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #1055
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
As for school closings. In this sue happy society, where parents don't monitor their children, schools get paranoid that a kid will be standing at the bus stop for 20 minutes, in dangerous cold, dressed in shorts and a hoodie. Then when the kid gets frostbite, the parents will sue the district.
Closing the schools is more a statement on parenting then on extreme cold.

Exactly. Even up here in the Northeast.

Schools in our suburb didn't close, but I did hear that the superintendent sent out an email to parents last night that was essentially his CYA piece ("make sure your kids are dressed appropriately...please don't let them walk/bike to school" etc.)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #1056
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Seems bizarre to me too coming from NoDak.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #1057
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

All of our schools are open here except for the ones with a high percentage of walkers.

My wife's school system is closed today because Worcester has a very high number of poor economically speaking families that are walkers. There is no way they would have several thousand kids walking to school in -30 wind chills that can't even afford good clothes much less be able to bundle up for this weather.

All of the surrounding cities (including the one I live in) that have very few walkers are open today.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #1058
Buccaneer
Head Coach

At my son's school, it can be closed/delayed while its school district can be open. We have parents/students coming from 40 miles away to go to school there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #1059
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Our district (and a number around us) were closed yesterday and today. The windchill here has been -35 degrees.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #1060
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's 1.7 degrees here. -15 degrees with the windchill.

THIS IS NOT A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF DEGREES
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #1061
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Portland's the only city in the state where a significant proportion of kids (all the way down to K) have to walk to school. "Have" both in terms of they're too close to qualify for bussing and their parents (i.e. poor) may not have cars to drive them.

My oldest is in first grade, so I'm just learning a lot of this but I was frankly surprised at the number of kids (obviously poor) who clearly do not possess sufficient winter clothing, especially for the lower body (i.e. long johns and/or snow pants). Although Portland is north, it's not "Canada-north", so there's still a large number of people (especially resettled refugees) who simply don't realize what they need for winter and/or can generally get by without it. Edit: Or are too poor to afford the requisite clothing.

I think all that, plus the concern over potential lawsuits, is why schools in Portland get closed down on days like this.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 01-08-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #1062
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It gets cold in Newburgh, but rarely do we get a -20 windchill. So rarely, that a lot of people aren't prepared to be outside for even a short time. Because of that, I think the rare extreme windchill closing is prudent even if the threat of lawsuit wasn't hanging over the school.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #1063
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Up here we have "Koats for Kids" and other programs that help to provide warm clothing to those that can't afford it. Seems like similar initiatives could be set up in places like Portland to help out. I can't imagine those poor parents (as well as the non-poor ones) are any better off by having to miss work or otherwise find child care every time the temp drops down. I find scheduled in-service days and other disruptions annoying enough, I would hate to have to deal with random weather closures too.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #1064
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Up here we have "Koats for Kids" and other programs that help to provide warm clothing to those that can't afford it. Seems like similar initiatives could be set up in places like Portland to help out. I can't imagine those poor parents (as well as the non-poor ones) are any better off by having to miss work or otherwise find child care every time the temp drops down. I find scheduled in-service days and other disruptions annoying enough, I would hate to have to deal with random weather closures too.
I'd wager the problem in Portland (and probably Minneapolis too) isn't poor Americans, it's the Somali refugee community that is largely self-contained and separate from the rest of the community, and contains people with no clue or frame of reference for either cold like this or charitable organizations that would help with winter coats etc.

But I will admit that every time I hear people complain about how bitterly cold it is here I think of this thread and your occasional postings from Winnipeg, and realize it's all relative. Just a couple weeks ago people were complaining about 30-35 being cold, now that would feel like borderline T-shirt weather.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #1065
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Meanwhile down south...I think it hit 8 today and my friend who owns a plumbing company is overwhelmed with work from all the folks who left the hose connected...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #1066
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's 1.7 degrees here. -15 degrees with the windchill.

THIS IS NOT A SUFFICIENT NUMBER OF DEGREES

Well look at it like this, it's 256.317 degrees kelvin where you are. That's a lot more degrees right? While I get to sit here at relatively summer-like 260 degree kelvin.

And I just found out 10 minutes ago my car battery died.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-08-2015 at 07:04 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #1067
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm about done with all of this.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #1068
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And if you want to have fun at my expense, this place I gotta deliver to got upgraded from 3-5 totonight to 5-8 and tomorrow from 0-1 all day to 6-10. And I know I'll be fine but getting behind a slow driving ill equipped asshole is always my dilemma.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #1069
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Was working in Minneapolis this week. It was terrible. Especially driving to the airport today with constant snow.

Hope I don't have to go back until spring.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #1070
Suicane75
Coordinator

I believe if someone had punched me in the head today my ears would have cracked and fallen off. I love the cold weather but sweet lord this is too much.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #1071
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I will be in Boston this week. They are projected to get 28" of snow as of this AM. Never being in a situation like that, how long does it take to get something like that cleaned up?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #1072
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was 82 in LA yesterday. A little more warmer than usual
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #1073
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We are projected to get anywhere from 6 to 18 inches in NJ with blizzard like conditions.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #1074
Thomkal
Head Coach

stay safe my northern friends!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #1075
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It got up to 85 here last Tuesday, then we got snow Friday morning, and today it is supposed to get up to 70.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #1076
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I will be in Boston this week. They are projected to get 28" of snow as of this AM. Never being in a situation like that, how long does it take to get something like that cleaned up?

The day of will be a disaster, but the day after will gradually get better until you can get most anywhere. Now if power is out, that's a whole different ballgame.

I've heard 18" up to 36" with lots of wind. I pulled out the generator today and went through the motions so I could make sure it's running properly. I sure hope it stays in my garage this week.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #1077
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

its 50 today, and we should get the edges of the storm, 1-3 inches here... which is probably worse than 26 in boston

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #1078
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'll be travelling to NC today and return on Thu, hopefully the storms avoid the central east coast.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #1079
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
We are projected to get anywhere from 6 to 18 inches in NJ with blizzard like conditions.

Ocean County forecast was just updated to 18 to 28 inches. Ouch.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #1080
Comey
College Starter

Calling for 20-30" in Mystic and possibly worse in Woonsocket, where my girlfriend lives. Tomorrow's travel back here will be interesting, to say the least.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #1081
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From our blizzard warning:

Quote:
ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.
* WINDS... NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.
* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
* TEMPERATURES... MID TEENS TO LOWER 20S.

Lovely.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #1082
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stay safe all.

Just talked to my Mom in central Jersey, 18-28 inches expected. My Dad is 85, this shit worries me more and more each time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #1083
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
From our blizzard warning:

Lovely.

Check on my relatives there will ya?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #1084
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Stay safe all.

Just talked to my Mom in central Jersey, 18-28 inches expected. My Dad is 85, this shit worries me more and more each time.

Hope they have someone to shovel them out
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #1085
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Calling for 20-30" in Mystic and possibly worse in Woonsocket, where my girlfriend lives. Tomorrow's travel back here will be interesting, to say the least.

I live kind of near Woonsocket (I go running there quite often). And yes, we're absolutely getting buried in this one.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #1086
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

how much snow do you guys have at this point?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #1087
Kodos
Resident Alien

Our prediction was 20-30 too. I hate winter.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #1088
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Depends on a number of factors, such as the type of snow (if it's icy, it'll take longer) and how much blowing/drifting they're likely to have.

Since this is supposed to be normal snow, I'm predicting Logan and public transport will be back up about 12 hours after the snow stops falling. Things won't really be "cleaned up" for a week or so afterward, but main streets should be accessible within 6-12 hours after the snow stops falling.

Here in Portland we're already making plans for school to be closed tomorrow, and possibly Wednesday, depending how long it keeps snowing. As long as we don't lose power for too long we'll be fine.

Besides, we have snowshoes, and it's only about 2 miles to the nearest grocery store, which is right off of the interstate (though we have enough food to last a week or more, given that we normally shop on Sunday anyway).
Old 01-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #1089
Logan
Head Coach

My wife started working in a hospital a couple weeks ago in a social work type role, and is considered an essential employee so she needs to show up to work no matter what. Even if it takes you 8 hours to get there, you have to be in. We're about 45 minutes away so she's staying with a friend who lives close by, definitely tonight and most likely tomorrow night too. Thankful she has that option but tomorrow is her birthday...shitty timing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #1090
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I should point out that the big issue here isn't going to be the amount of snow (although that's obviously a factor, and will be the biggest factor in how long it takes things to return to normal). The biggest issues are going to be the wind and how fast the snow is expected to come down. It's unlikely the plows are going to be able to keep up with the snowfall during the storm and this, combined with winds up to 70mph means guaranteed white-out conditions which means a high likelihood of people in their cars getting stuck and not being able to walk anywhere on account of not being able to see.

So the recommendation to stay inside and not travel is definitely a good one.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #1091
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Stay safe in the blizzards out east!

It's above freezing here today (+1) and has been in that range for a few days now, which is something just short of awesome. It's supposed to get back down to high's below -20 by the end of the week but then (depending on how far out you trust a weather forecast) it should get back up to moderately warm temps (-10) within another couple days. Not a bad winter so far, and soooooo much better than last year!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #1092
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My wife started working in a hospital a couple weeks ago in a social work type role, and is considered an essential employee so she needs to show up to work no matter what. Even if it takes you 8 hours to get there, you have to be in. We're about 45 minutes away so she's staying with a friend who lives close by, definitely tonight and most likely tomorrow night too. Thankful she has that option but tomorrow is her birthday...shitty timing.

Yeah, I have to be at work no matter what. I brought a bag with a few days of clothes just in case I need to stay here tonight.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #1093
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Stinks, yes, but 1) you'll make up for it and 2) this is the kind of thing you'll remember fondly years from now.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #1094
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like we're missing most of it. Every time I accidentally go to the weather channel page abd see that the storm has a name it makes me furious. And the worst part is that if they keep doing it, eventually it will catch on. Just think, in 35 years Logan can tell his grandkids about how winter storm Juno kept their grandmother away on her birthday!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #1095
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Looks like we're missing most of it. Every time I accidentally go to the weather channel page abd see that the storm has a name it makes me furious. And the worst part is that if they keep doing it, eventually it will catch on. Just think, in 35 years Logan can tell his grandkids about how winter storm Juno kept their grandmother away on her birthday!

Why does this make you furious exactly?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #1096
Kodos
Resident Alien

He gets furious easily.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #1097
PilotMan
Head Coach

We got some freezing rain last night and then a light covering of snow. The more rural, hilly roads weren't in any shape to be good enough for the buses so the kids are off today.

Like Steam?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #1098
Thomkal
Head Coach

I expect a minute by minute report from those caught in the storm of how much snow you have now....just like CNN who no doubt will be calling it a "SNOW APOCALYPSE" any second now.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #1099
Blackadar
Retired

The weather here is terrible.

It's only 70 and the wind is at 15-20 MPH. Makes for choppy boating. It sucks, I tell ya!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #1100
PilotMan
Head Coach

You mean "SNOWPOCALYPSE 2015!"

Like Steam?