Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #1051
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Kudos to Rand Paul for being the last Republican that still cares about the deficit. He couldn't get a single other member to vote against a resolution that proposes over nine trillion in new debt over the next decade.

The next time a Dem is in office I hope we can stop pretending that the GOP cares about anything other than lower taxes on the top earners.

Yep. The fact that him and his father both got zero traction in their presidential runs show how much GOP voters really care about economic policy.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #1052
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Because this could never be abused.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #1053
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, Trump did say that we should target both terrorists and their families. I suppose that goes for anyone else deemed an enemy of the state, so you gotta make those links!

While we're on WikiLeaks:

WikiLeaks opposes leaking of CIA report | TheHill

Followed by:

Trump to seek probe of secret report he says was given to NBC

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-06-2017 at 02:14 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #1054
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Well, Trump did say that we should target both terrorists and their families. I suppose that goes for anyone else deemed an enemy of the state, so you gotta make those links!

While we're on WikiLeaks:

WikiLeaks opposes leaking of CIA report | TheHill

Followed by:

Trump to seek probe of secret report he says was given to NBC

Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #1055
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, they might care about running anyone out of the gov't who happens to disagree with them, too.

House Republicans revive obscure rule that allows them to slash the pay of individual federal workers to $1 - The Washington Post

Oh I like the HELL outta this one.

Didn't we have a discussion up the thread somewhere, about making employees want to leave regardless of any overwrought h.r. foolishness?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #1056
molson
General Manager

So now Trump says the U.S. is going to pay for the wall, but that Mexico is still going to pay us for it down the road, in some unspecified way.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #1057
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So now Trump says the U.S. is going to pay for the wall, but that Mexico is still going to pay us for it down the road, in some unspecified way.

If he is so confident, perhaps he can front some of his own money as a sign of goodwill. Shouldn't be an issue since Mexico will totally pay him back.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #1058
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Oh, here's an idea.

Perhaps Mexican nationals could pay us back by offering to, I don't know, come into the country and do some work for us, perhaps in industries like agriculture or meat packing, in American communities where we have difficulty finding people to staff those jobs. I mean, it goes without saying that we'd pay them less, and we wouldn't let them have Medicare benefits and stuff, but it seems like a win all around.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #1059
cuervo72
Head Coach

Actually I'm surprised he hasn't said that Mexicans would physically build the wall.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #1060
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oh I like the HELL outta this one.

Didn't we have a discussion up the thread somewhere, about making employees want to leave regardless of any overwrought h.r. foolishness?

I don't doubt that there are gov't employees who don't pull their weight. Don't doubt it at all. But you know that there would be no hesitation to identify and target some whistle-blower, or someone who burned Trump with a tweet in 2013, or posted support for xyz at some point.

edit: or even made contributions to Democratic candidates

I know you have no issue with that, but that should be chilling to the rest of us.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-06-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #1061
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but that should be chilling to the rest of us.

Only if you're one of the miscreants involved.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #1062
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Only if you're one of the miscreants involved.

Political Correctness is bad, unless the politics are yours.

(royal "yours")

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #1063
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The 'slashing of the salary to $1' - don't federal workers have contracts or SOME sort of protection against this sort of thing? ....

Seems ludicrous if something like this can be made legal tbh, especially if there are potentially negative consequences to 'quitting a job' (I have no idea - but in England if you quit a job then its hard to get benefits than if you're made redundant or sacked).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #1064
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now the requests for names in various departments makes a lot more sense.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #1065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Political Correctness is bad, unless the politics are yours. (royal "yours")

I make no bones about it: I don't want to simply "defeat" liberal politics/policies/liberalism in general. I want to see it become extinct.

Starving it out is a completely valid tactic afaic.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:25 AM   #1066
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I make no bones about it: I don't want to simply "defeat" liberal politics/policies/liberalism in general. I want to see it become extinct.

And it's like you're completely okay with using tactics you would howl about if the worm ever turned.

Wait, what am I saying? You're a Republican. Of COURSE you're cool with "okay for me but not for thee."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #1067
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jon hearts Russia.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #1068
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Quote:

I'm with you except for "policies". Do you mean that we should never be concerned about the environment if that liberal policy goes extinct?

For perspective, about me (this is only my 2nd post here):
Independent who currently identifies as Republican
Was liberal for most of my life

Still liberal on:
climate change
gun control
taxing the 1%
church/state

Conservative on:
rule of law
illegal immigration
first amendment per pc & college experience
strong military as deterrence
generally smaller government (esp federal)
liberal media is brainwashing many young people (seriously)

Attack conservative thinking all you want, but please don't attack me.
Gaelic Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #1069
QuikSand
lolzcat

:laughs until beverage comes out nose:

Uh, have you two met?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #1070
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Jon hearts Russia.

Jon is also ok living in an Orwellian dystopia. (Or utopia in his view, I guess.)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #1071
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
:laughs until beverage comes out nose:

Uh, have you two met?

If that (sarcastic/rhetorical?) comment is for me, it already feels like an attack. Maybe I'm just still sensitized from the election. I was hoping that liberals on this forum would be more serious and open-minded than the garden variety liberal on facebook. Am I wrong? (sorry, but I'm too lazy to read the previous 10 pages for an answer to that).
Old 01-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #1072
QuikSand
lolzcat

No, this was a hopefully-humorous slight on anyone thinking they can find any degree of bend in the principles of the particular poster to whom you appeal for mercy.

Once you reveal the slightest variation from his particular worldview, I think it's very safe that he will lump you in with the rest of us as "waste of carbon" or the like. Your list that you might think of as "6 out of 10 conservative views" likely lands you in the same circle of his hell as Nancy Pelosi.

He's just a particular sort of guy, that's all.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #1073
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Thanks. It always seems difficult for me to gauge the "culture" of a message board.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #1074
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Think Dick Cheney without the compassion or charm.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #1075
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Think Dick Cheney without the compassion or charm.

Speaking of defense secretaries, William Perry is my uncle. Proud of that even though it is no reflection on me.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #1076
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic Hill View Post
Speaking of defense secretaries, William Perry is my uncle. Proud of that even though it is no reflection on me.

Is he large, but not a dumb cookie?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #1077
Atocep
Coordinator

So it looks like Republicans will defund Planned Parenthood next month as they chip away at Obamacare.

I'm amazed at how short sighted people are on this issue. By taking away the $500 million per year they receive it's going to end up costing the government billions in the long run.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #1078
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm guessing there might be an uptick in teenage pregnancies as a result too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #1079
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Pregnancies, STDs, and women's health issues would all spike. The final cost to the government for cutting the funding will be staggering.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #1080
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic Hill View Post
If that (sarcastic/rhetorical?) comment is for me, it already feels like an attack. Maybe I'm just still sensitized from the election. I was hoping that liberals on this forum would be more serious and open-minded than the garden variety liberal on facebook. Am I wrong? (sorry, but I'm too lazy to read the previous 10 pages for an answer to that).

I'm pretty sure that wasn't an attack on you in any way.

I'm ... well, I think it's fair to say around these parts I'm famously/infamously intractable.

Quiksand explained it pretty well IMO, and did a pretty fair job of anticipating my reactions as well, although in fairness to myself I would have likely gone with the considerably softer "you're part of the problem, not the solution" rather than the frequently used "waste of oxygen" he referenced.

I don't know you well enough for the latter yet, you might still have some hope of being redeemable
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #1081
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
So it looks like Republicans will defund Planned Parenthood next month as they chip away at Obamacare.

I'm amazed at how short sighted people are on this issue. By taking away the $500 million per year they receive it's going to end up costing the government billions in the long run.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pregnancies, STDs, and women's health issues would all spike. The final cost to the government for cutting the funding will be staggering.

Working in the Medicaid industry I can tell you without a doubt that this will be a financial nightmare. This is seriously short sighted and there is already a higher than average birthrate among the Medicaid population that often creates/maintains a legacy of public assistance. I am not grouping all into this pot, but there is definitely a substantial percentage of members of this population that could potentially drive up costs, either through naivety or choice because of this.

Arizona enacted coverage for LARC effective 10-1-16, which can be provided after a delivery to prevent unplanned births for an extended period of time. I am curious if/how funding will affect this as this was seen as a positive step in reducing maternal/fetal medicine costs and easing the strain in Medicaid funds.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-07-2017 at 11:38 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #1082
digamma
Torchbearer

Gonna throw 6:30 Eastern as a pretty fair line for when Trump bashes Meryl Streep on Twitter in the morning.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #1083
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Gonna throw 6:30 Eastern as a pretty fair line for when Trump bashes Meryl Streep on Twitter in the morning.

CNN already has her as headline news.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #1084
digamma
Torchbearer

I believe the time stamp shows his tweet at 3:27 pacfic.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #1085
digamma
Torchbearer

Old 01-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #1086
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I believe the time stamp shows his tweet at 3:27 pacfic.

/thread
Old 01-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #1087
Ben E Lou

Joking aside, I wonder if we're going to get to a point where this becomes a constant thing as B-list celebrities realize that a great way to get in the headlines is to trash Trump publicly and enjoy the publicity benefits of his inevitable Twitter temper tantrum.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #1088
Ben E Lou

(Dola: Not saying Streep is B-list, but B-listers have enough visibility to generate headlines if they trash him, too. Rinse. Repeat.)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #1089
Gaelic Hill
n00b

I'm not necessarily supporting Trump in these twitter reactions, but I will say that this election cycle has partly ruined me for watching movies that these !@#$%^*& actors are in. I might never again watch movies with Ruffalo, Sheen, Streep, Wyle, etc. To be fair, I also avoid a few conservative actors, like that drunk anti-Semite Mel Gibson. I just have a hard time "seeing" the characters; I only see the actors. I wish I knew NOTHING about these people.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #1090
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mel Gibson is the poster-boy for actors whose films I actively avoid at this point.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #1091
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

These actors are only heroes in their own mind. The award events for acting have kind of become like Scientology meetings. They sit in a room and pat each other on the back about how great they are, while the general public just wishes they'd shut up and focus on their job.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #1092
lungs
Pro Rookie

I only watch Kirk Cameron movies.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #1093
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Only reality TV stars should be allowed to speak about politics.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #1094
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Bananas?
Attached Images
File Type: png Banana.png (233.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 01-09-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #1095
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Joking aside, I wonder if we're going to get to a point where this becomes a constant thing as B-list celebrities realize that a great way to get in the headlines is to trash Trump publicly and enjoy the publicity benefits of his inevitable Twitter temper tantrum.

Eh... no one is going to pay attention to them much for anti-Trump sentiments. People pay attention to A-list celebrities because they are A-list.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #1096
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

You should get out and hang out with the cows more.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #1097
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Eh... no one is going to pay attention to them much for anti-Trump sentiments. People pay attention to A-list celebrities because they are A-list.

But it is Trump. Any kind of reported or published slight against him, he can't help but lash out.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #1098
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You should get out and hang out with the cows more.

I'm in my office hanging out with my dog. Soon as the Doc gets here we're going to go play with the cows.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #1099
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
These actors are only heroes in their own mind. The award events for acting have kind of become like Scientology meetings.

Pretty much. But that kinda adds to my confusion about this latest kerfluffle.

As you might suspect, my social media feeds had a fair bit about last night's speeches & such, and it kinda left me scratching my head (not for the first time either).

I haven't seen a Meryl Streep movie in Godonlyknowswhen. I've seen one since I've watched the Golden Globes though. I have essentially no interest in her before or after her little speech.

Thing that furrows my brow is how there's so many folks who got worked up over her (rather predictable) comments and "don't care what she thinks".

My question is essentially "why'n the hell were you watching that shit show in the first place then?"

I do not, for the very life of me, understand the need some folks have to actively hunt down things that will irritate them. Surely, SURELY there can't be so many people living lives that have a shortage of irritations. Seeking out additional ones is kinda nuts to me.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #1100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who is Meryl Streep?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote