Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #1151
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I see that now. I was thinking it was Colts vs. Texans. Well maybe the Jags will beat the Colts for the second time this season.

Why do the Colts always have to give their fans potential heart attacks?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #1152
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

At least this should shut up anyone saying the Bears should re-sign Trubisky.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #1153
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why do the Colts always have to give their fans potential heart attacks?

So 20 mins ago I thought the Colts may blow the game, now there's a real chance they could win the AFC South.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #1154
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Did I just hear that right? Da Bears are in the playoffs?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #1155
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep. Arizona loss guaranteed the Bears were in regardless of the Packers game.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #1156
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Did I just hear that right? Da Bears are in the playoffs?

Quite the season for Da Bears. They looked like a bottom 5 team during their 6 game losing streak.

It is kind of sad that the Bears and Giants/Redskins get in while the Dolphins get left out.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #1157
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm rooting hard for a 6-10 team to win the NFC East.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #1158
bhlloy
Coordinator

That’s a quality troll job to put your third stringer in the game when a decent drive or two probably wins the Giants the division.

Also a pretty hearty FU to Carson Wentz given some of the stories breaking last night. Assuming they aren’t firing Pederson, wonder where he’s playing next year, that relationship seems beyond repair.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:49 PM   #1159
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hope Adam Gase is taking notes.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #1160
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This game is a disgrace.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #1161
RainMaker
General Manager

Bad look for the NFL. What thr Eagles did is sick. Put in a lottery.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:56 PM   #1162
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Carson Wentz is still hanging out on the field with Jason Kelce & Zach Ertz.

I hope picking 5/6 instead of 9th was worth it LoL
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #1163
molson
General Manager

As long as leagues insist on selling the important asset of draft picks for the currency of losing games, teams should tank. More than they do now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 AM   #1164
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm still trying to work out if it was genuinely an attempt to gain 3 spots in the draft or a power play given what's been in the media the last couple of days.

Philly doesn't seem like the kind of town that will take tanking particularly well, so it feels like a curious career decision overall. Even if it did screw over the Giants.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:12 AM   #1165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I only just discovered what the Eagles actually did.

Wow.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:13 AM   #1166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm still trying to work out if it was genuinely an attempt to gain 3 spots in the draft or a power play given what's been in the media the last couple of days.

Philly doesn't seem like the kind of town that will take tanking particularly well, so it feels like a curious career decision overall. Even if it did screw over the Giants.

"I'm coaching to win, but I thought Sudfeld deserved some snaps since he's been here 4 years, and also pulling Hurts had nothing to do with performance."... I don't know if Pederson knows what he was trying to do there.

Long term it's just hilarious mismanagement of assets. Idk if Wentz is fixable, but overdrafting Hurts in the second round, claiming it was just because you wanted a good backup, benching Wentz for him, then benching Hurts for Nate Fucking Sudfeld with one quarter left in the season in prime time television is priceless.

I'm down with the playing young players/QB's once you're out of it - I figured why wouldn't the Patriots just go ahead & start Jarrett Stidham the last two weeks - and I'm fine with tanking when it makes an obvious difference and the Jets or Jaguars can assure themselves Trevor Lawrence (or the chance to trade down and get Justin Fields + assets or whatever), but the slight value of picking 6th over 9th just isn't worth messing with not one but two young possible starting QB's in order to give Nate Sudfeld some reps.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:34 AM   #1167
Butter
Coordinator

I get the travesty of a team not trying all out to win a game with playoff implications.

HOWEVER, Pederson told the announcing crew and I assume Hurts about his desire to get Sudfeld in the game well before the game actually started. So not sure how this is any more damaging to Wentz or Hurts than what he's already done this year since it was pre-planned.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #1168
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It wasn't more damaging to them; it was really about the competitive integrity of the league and the optics of flexing a game to prime time, last game of the regular season, with a playoff berth on the line and pulling that shit. If you wanted to see Sudfeld, just start him. Forgoing a tying FG and then bringing him in to finish a close and winnable game makes no sense. That's bad game management at best if you felt compelled to play him at that point.

I've been railing about this kind of thing for years. It's just a variation on the theme of playoff contenders sitting starters against teams who can still affect the playoffs. It's a bad look for the league in either scenario.

I'll admit I don't remember it, but someone on twitter pointed out that in 2014, week 17, mid-day game that meant nothing, TB was beating NO by 17 at half, pulled everyone, lost the game and got the overall #1. So this doesn't even take top spot for obvious last week tanking for draft position, if that's what happened. But you just can't let this happen in the Sunday night game that was flexed because of its importance. They can't do anything about it, but it's an awful look for the league.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #1169
Ksyrup

By the way, I was thinking about this last night after the game - the only worse "have to play a player" move/excuse (if that's what really happened) I've ever personally witnessed at either college or pro level involved my daughter.

Her old college softball team played a tournament in Florida for spring break and last game of the weekend was against Maryland. Maryland was not very good for a P5 team, but a win against a P5 team is a big deal. We play them close until the top of the 6th when they extend their lead to 2. My daughter relieved in the 6th and got out of a jam to keep it at 2-0.

Bottom 6, our lead-off reaches on an error and their starter hits our next batter. Maryland pulls the starter for a girl who had only thrown like 6 innings all year and hadn't pitched in Florida. I have to imagine it was one of those "Her parents came all the way to Florida so I have to give her an inning and I thought we'd be up by more but I'm kinda screwed here so have at it" moves.

During warm-ups, it was clear this girl shouldn't be pitching. She threw half her warm-ups to the fence. And sure enough, she immediately throws a WP advancing the runners, then walks the first batter to load the bases and walks the next batter to force in a run. 9 pitches, 1 strike. Next girl hits a squibber to SS to score the tying run on a fielder's choice, followed by another WP to score the go-ahead run. 3 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, 2 walks and a HBP and we lead.

Caitlin gets them 1-2-3 in the top of the 7th and we are gifted the victory. I can't imagine what the players/parents thought after that game, but it was probably nothing compared to last night.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-04-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #1170
cuervo72
Head Coach

1. I don't think Philly fans are against tanking (Trust the Process!). A couple of weeks ago my cousin was already saying that it felt weird to be rooting against them, but probably the right choice. Yeah, some of us are insane, but others are pretty pragmatic.

2. If that was meant to "evaluate" Sudfeld, my evaluation is that he plays like crap.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #1171
Ksyrup

Anthony Lynn fired.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #1172
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Anthony Lynn fired.

Thank God. Can't wait to see what an actual coach will do with Herbert. Guys will be lined up to coach him. Bad for the Jags, could lose out to a guy who would want to coach Lawrence.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #1173
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- as a Giants fan I have zero issue with what they did. Eagles have every right to do what they want. Giants want to complain don't give up an 11 point lead with 5 minutes left when you play them.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #1174
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Purposefully losing a game is one of the most unethical things you can do in sports. What the Eagles did is no better than what the Black Sox did.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #1175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Purposefully losing a game is one of the most unethical things you can do in sports. What the Eagles did is no better than what the Black Sox did.

I agree with the unethical nature of it, I just wasn't annoyed that it cost the Giants in the process.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #1176
Ksyrup

I don't care about any of the teams involved. It just plain sucked as a sports fan.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #1177
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Wait- what? So any instance of tanking is like throwing the World Series, particularly when the goal is to give up short term success for potentially more long term success? Load management in the NBA? Any playing of a younger, worse player than a veteran but with more potential? The half dozen MLB or NBA teams that don't really try to win as they're tanking as part of a "youth movement"?

Not ideal for the sport (but with financial inequities in the sports, sometimes the best way to win), especially on a game by game basis. But same as throwing the World Series?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #1178
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would have done it in Madden to move up in the draft.. wait.. I did bench Matt Ryan to ensure a 4-12 record.

it's just a video game though..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #1179
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
1. I don't think Philly fans are against tanking (Trust the Process!). A couple of weeks ago my cousin was already saying that it felt weird to be rooting against them, but probably the right choice. Yeah, some of us are insane, but others are pretty pragmatic.

2. If that was meant to "evaluate" Sudfeld, my evaluation is that he plays like crap.

Sudfeld is an IU graduate. Now I wish I'd watched the game!
Old 01-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #1180
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wait- what? So any instance of tanking is like throwing the World Series, particularly when the goal is to give up short term success for potentially more long term success?

No.

Quote:
Load management in the NBA?

No.

Quote:
Any playing of a younger, worse player than a veteran but with more potential?

No.

Quote:
The half dozen MLB or NBA teams that don't really try to win as they're tanking as part of a "youth movement"?

Depends on what you mean by "not trying to win".

If a team purposefully tries to lose an individual contest, that is unethical and should be discouraged at all costs. That is what the Black Sox did. I don't care if it's for gambling or for some other benefit.

There are other fuzzier examples where a team makes itself so bad they aren't really competing. I think that's unethical as well, but I was strictly talking about intentionally trying to lose a contest.

Quote:
Not ideal for the sport (but with financial inequities in the sports, sometimes the best way to win), especially on a game by game basis. But same as throwing the World Series?

If you're arguing that purposefully throwing a WS game is worse than purposefully throwing a regular season game, that's fine. But in both cases, a team is throwing a game.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #1181
henry296
College Starter

What about the Steelers not playing Big Ben?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #1182
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
What about the Steelers not playing Big Ben?

Again, we're talking about different things.

1) It is unethical to intentionally lose a single contest. That is what the Black Sox did and it sure as hell looks like what the Eagles just did.

2) Other things may also be unethical, such as benching a guy to ensure you'll lose a game. This is clearly not what the Steelers did.

We can ague about where and how to draw a line with #2. What astounds me is how many people are okay with #1. It seems to miss the point as to why the Black Sox scandal was such a big deal in the first place and why the MLB went to great lengths to try and prevent it from happening again.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #1183
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

This is a whole lotta nothing.

If the Giants are so mad, they should've beaten twice. We are seeing a 7-9 team in the playoffs and almost had a 6-10 team in.

It's been a terrible year and a mess of a product.

Considering how the Eagles draft, they're gonna screw up the pick no matter where it's located or sit tight and watch as someone trades up over them for the guy they want and screw up their draft board.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #1184
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't think the Eagles were intentionally throwing the game - they could have just pulled some Gregg Williams Cover 0 type defensive playcalling. And if people want to point at passing up the tying FG when Hurts was still in the math says their choice increased their win chances. It's just bizarre to pull the rookie QB you probably want to get more live action reps for a retread.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #1185
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
This is a whole lotta nothing.

If the Giants are so mad, they should've beaten twice. We are seeing a 7-9 team in the playoffs and almost had a 6-10 team in.

It's been a terrible year and a mess of a product.

Considering how the Eagles draft, they're gonna screw up the pick no matter where it's located or sit tight and watch as someone trades up over them for the guy they want and screw up their draft board.

I have zero interest in the Giants or the Eagles.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #1186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sudfeld is an IU graduate. Now I wish I'd watched the game!

5/12 for 32 yards, 1 pick and 2 sacks.

You're probably happier NOT watching that
Old 01-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #1187
Ksyrup

Don't forget the fumble where he couldn't reach to knee level to take the shotgun snap and then instead of falling on the ball, tried to pick it up like he was a cat trying to avoid getting wet.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #1188
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
5/12 for 32 yards, 1 pick and 2 sacks.

You're probably happier NOT watching that

To be fair, this was the guy he replaced...

7/20 for 72 yards, 1 pick and 1 sack.

I don't really see anything wrong pulling a guy with those numbers after three quarters of play. Particularly when one referenced before the game wanting to give the third stringer some game action.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #1189
bhlloy
Coordinator

I mean you've missed a couple of stats there right?

The guy who arguably comes out of this the worst is Sudfeld. He's now forever known as the third string schlub who was so bad his coach turned to him when he wanted to lose a game, which is a pretty shitty thing to be known as, fair or not.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #1190
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I get the travesty of a team not trying all out to win a game with playoff implications.

HOWEVER, Pederson told the announcing crew and I assume Hurts about his desire to get Sudfeld in the game well before the game actually started. So not sure how this is any more damaging to Wentz or Hurts than what he's already done this year since it was pre-planned.
Not calling you out - iirc the Inquirer is similar to a NY Post - but it doesn't sound like they were on the same page Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Even just the body language from Hurts (who by every account is a great teammate willing to carry water for the team) alone was what made it seem obvious this wasn't pre planned. And I don't think this is necessarily going to be damaging to Hurts' psyche, but it is damaging to the trust between Hurts & Pederson if Pederson is back next year, which seems like a bigger loss than the value between 6 & 9.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:46 PM   #1191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be fair, this was the guy he replaced...

7/20 for 72 yards, 1 pick and 1 sack.

I don't really see anything wrong pulling a guy with those numbers after three quarters of play. Particularly when one referenced before the game wanting to give the third stringer some game action.

I didn't say he wanted to see Hurts either
Old 01-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #1192
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Not calling you out - iirc the Inquirer is similar to a NY Post.

Wait, since when? Granted it's been a while, but when I was there it was the main paper in Philly, has had its share of Pulitzers. It would have to be a shell of its former self to be the equivalent of the post.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-04-2021 at 10:59 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #1193
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wait, since when? Granted it's been a while, but when I was there it was the main paper in Philly, has had its share of Pulitzers. It would have to be a shell of its former self to be the equivalent of the post.
Shoot, my bad. Maybe I'm conflating it with the Washington Examiner? (Fwiw, I'm not sure journalistic integrity on real topics always applies to sports - Boston is the one city I do know, and the once great Boston Globe Sports section was first gutted by budget cuts, then used for John Henry's twisted pro-Red Sox/anti-Patriots agenda, and the Boston Herald which is by no means a great overall paper was the much better one for Patriots coverage.)

Btw, speaking of future/backup QB's & this NFL draft I really hope Bill is ready to move on to a new QB instead of trying to prove he can win with Cam with a full offseason/no COVID interruption in September. Or if he is he still drafts Trey Lance at #15 overall & we can start him in like week 5 next year.

(Though yeah it's 50/50 at best Lance comes out given the QB studs & his complete lack of game film this year. I'd love if he did though - don't think we'd ever tank enough to be high enough to draft him in 2022.)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #1194
sabotai
General Manager

Any San Diego fans who were happy about Lynn being fired, well...

Of course, this would solve the Giants problem of having a bad offensive coordinator.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #1195
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Any San Diego fans who were happy about Lynn being fired, well...

Of course, this would solve the Giants problem of having a bad offensive coordinator.
I'd say Steve Sarkisian is still available, but the Chargers can't outbid Texas.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:09 AM   #1196
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can somebody please come take Graham Harrell off our hands? He could look like Kliff Kingsbury if you squint hard enough.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #1197
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Congrats Brown fans! And nothing sweeter than hearing a dejected Troy Aikman having to call the Cowboys loss

And because it is the Browns...

Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski tests positive for COVID-19
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #1198
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'm kind of torn on the whole Anthony Lynn firing. He seems like a good guy, but more importantly, Justin Herbert looked awesome this year and I do have concerns with changing coaches after such a great year for your first-year (appears to be) franchise quarterback. I would be worried about setting his development back.

On the flip side, the Chargers sure seemed to find ways to lose games that they should have won and there was some terrible mis-management. .
Old 01-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #1199
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Looking at the head coaching vacancies, which spot do people consider the most desirable? The least?

Chargers
Jets
Jaguars
Texans
Lions
Falcons
Old 01-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #1200
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looking at the head coaching vacancies, which spot do people consider the most desirable? The least?

Chargers
Jets
Jaguars
Texans
Lions
Falcons

Off the top of my head I think the Texans take the top slot w/ Watson, Jets & Jags are at the bottom, and the Chargers/Lions/Falcons are about equally (un)attractive in the middle.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote