Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #1151
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The NFL is considering moving the game, most likely to Detroit, where the Bills also play on Thanksgiving. They'll make that call tomorrow most likely.

This is a very focused lake-effect storm. Right now, Bills Stadium (just south of Buffalo) is dead center of a small area that is almost certain to receive eight-plus inches from the storm. And 50-60% chance of 18 inches. And 10-20% chance of 30 inches or more.

Most of it should be over by mid-day Saturday, so I think they'll stay in Buffalo. People take snow removal seriously in the snow belts.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #1152
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So what I'm hearing is that they should move the game to Saturday, not the Detroit!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #1153
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It seems Detroit is the answer, after all. No change in the forecast. Maybe the snowplows are still in the shop, or the "free personal shovel to the first 20,000 people in attendance" promotion wasn't approved by the league.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #1154
bhlloy
Coordinator

Boooo. Snow games are one of the most fun throw backs IMO, but a 9-7 ending with 2 passes attempted over 15 yards the whole game doesn’t really align with what the league wants I guess.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:39 PM   #1155
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It should be just a little windy by game time there. They could clear the field, but probably not the stands. But I see why they made the call. The forecast change an hour ago now calls for 31-47 inches over the next 48 hours for that area. A 50-60% chance of reaching the 30. This looks like a once-every-few-years one. Lake effect snows are common this time of year because Lake Erie hasn't frozen, but the angle of this one is lining up nicely for Buffalo.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #1156
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No Fun League!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #1157
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Boooo. Snow games are one of the most fun throw backs IMO,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
No Fun League!

I agree. Give the people what they want!

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:13 AM   #1158
Ksyrup

And then getting smashed out of the blue when a LB bursts through one side of the snow canyon.

Sounds like the NFL version of Wipeout. I'm all in!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #1159
Ksyrup

Titans OC arrested for DUI last night. Big win and reason to celebrate, sure, but doesn't the team pay for drivers, or is that just for players?
Old 11-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #1160
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Titans OC arrested for DUI last night. Big win and reason to celebrate, sure, but doesn't the team pay for drivers, or is that just for players?

Even if the team does not, I am pretty sure that NFL coordinators make high six/low seven figure salaries. The dude can pay for an Uber.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #1161
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

To paraphrase a joke heard on reddit:

You'd think the OC would be able to put together a successful drive.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #1162
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Even if the team does not, I am pretty sure that NFL coordinators make high six/low seven figure salaries. The dude can pay for an Uber.

It's not like he won't be back at the office in a few hours to pick up his car anyway!
Old 11-18-2022, 01:12 PM   #1163
Ksyrup

Old 11-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #1164
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thursday Night Football has really lost its luster, huh?

All talk of missed snow games and DUIs in here.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #1165
Kodos
Resident Alien

At least for me, Thursday night football has always been the most skippable NFL coverage. Seems like the match-ups are rarely good.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #1166
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Cropped from an ESPN and an USA article.

Quote:
Downing went through the intake process at 4:36 a.m. and posted a $2,500 bail bond at 6:46 a.m. The Titans had returned to Nashville early Friday after their 27-17 win over the Green Bay Packers, with their team plane landing at 2:07 a.m.

Quote:
Downing, 42, was stopped in Williamson County along Interstate 65 near Moores Lane, about 15 miles south of downtown Nashville. According to a preliminary report,*a*trooper was patrolling I-65 southbound about*2:30 a.m. when he observed a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed.

1) He was putting a few away on the plane ride home and...
2) No one in the Titans organization should have let the guy in that mugshot leave the facility behind the wheel. And finally
3) I'm very happy this did not have a Britt Reid type of ending.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:16 AM   #1167
miami_fan
Coordinator

Source - Commanders discipline players for drinking on plane

Huh? This was a rule?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #1168
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources - Klint Kubiak to call plays for Denver Broncos

So if you are the one deciding Nathaniel Hackett's job status and things turn around for the offense, does Hackett get credit for making the move or does he deserve blame for not making the move earlier?
Old 11-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #1169
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola, and if I have a coach helping out with the in-game situations and now someone else is calling plays, what exactly is Hackett doing now?
Old 11-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #1170
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And what we've expected for awhile has happened - the endless pounding Fields has taken caught up to him today.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:09 PM   #1171
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Life finds a way. So do the Patriots over the Jets.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #1172
bronconick
College Starter

None more Jets
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:45 PM   #1173
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The season is shaping up to have all the wild cards coming from the two Eastern divisions. I suspect it's mathematically near impossible to hold up due to the truckload of divisional games still to be played between them. As of today we're a 49ers loss at the Cardinals, and to be fair also a Bengals non-win at the Steelers and a Chargers non-win vs Kansas, away from that virtual situation.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:43 PM   #1174
bhlloy
Coordinator

Give young QB's time, Peyton Manning sucked for a while, Justin Fields is turning it around, yadda yadda... Zach Wilson is absolutely horrific every time I watch him. There just doesn't seem to be anything close to an NFL QB there, he's supposedly athletic but has zero pocket presence and takes terrible sacks, he's inaccurate, he can't read a defense. It's ugly, even when you account for the lack of experience so far. I know he's coming off the best performance of his career in an impressive win against the Bills, but every time I watch him he looks completely lost.

I fully look forward to this being brought up in 4 years when he wins his second SB after outdueling Mahomes and winning MVP.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #1175
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Give young QB's time, Peyton Manning sucked for a while, Justin Fields is turning it around, yadda yadda... Zach Wilson is absolutely horrific every time I watch him. There just doesn't seem to be anything close to an NFL QB there, he's supposedly athletic but has zero pocket presence and takes terrible sacks, he's inaccurate, he can't read a defense. It's ugly, even when you account for the lack of experience so far. I know he's coming off the best performance of his career in an impressive win against the Bills, but every time I watch him he looks completely lost.

I fully look forward to this being brought up in 4 years when he wins his second SB after outdueling Mahomes and winning MVP.

Yeah, I've seen enough. Wilson does not have it. Never will.

And comparing his awfulness to Peyton's rookie struggles with misreads and interceptions is very, very apples-to-kumquats.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #1176
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wish we’d see some signs of promise from Pickett. I feel like we are going to be in position to draft a good QB next draft and will almost have to pull the trigger because Pickett isn’t showing enough.

It sucks living in a world with a competently run Bengals and (semi-competently run?) Browns.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #1177
Ksyrup

We were driving this afternoon and I caught the last couple of minutes of this game and the NE announcers were assholes. Just dogging on Wilson and punting for OT, talking about how much better Jones is (despite a 3-3 score). I don't know who the commentator is but I can't imagine how insufferable he would have been to listen to when the Pats were great.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:20 PM   #1178
molson
General Manager

Mac Jones completed 85% of his passes, but the Jets defense was great on their side of the field, had a great pass rush, and the Patriots missed some Field Goals. It's concerning that Mac seems to have regressed from last year, and he holds the ball too long, but, he was accurate and moved the ball to a point (before a sack ended just about every drive - obviously the pats have big offensive line problems too)

Zach Wilson is easily the worst QB in the NFL. The Jets had 2 yards of offense in the second half. Two. (And negative 21 yards passing if you count sacks).

Losing Breece Hall was huge but I'd love to see the Jets down the stretch with Flacco.

Last edited by molson : 11-20-2022 at 07:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #1179
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You don't see 24-27 and only three points very often.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:41 PM   #1180
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We were driving this afternoon and I caught the last couple of minutes of this game and the NE announcers were assholes. Just dogging on Wilson and punting for OT, talking about how much better Jones is (despite a 3-3 score). I don't know who the commentator is but I can't imagine how insufferable he would have been to listen to when the Pats were great.

You're probably referring to Scott Zolak. The Around the NFL Podcast has radio clips on their weekly recap show. Zolak is the Patriots color guy and is the worst.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:44 PM   #1181
molson
General Manager

Zolak is the worst, I agree. He does that thing where he obnoxiously over-reacts to every play (often incorrectly) before the play by play guy even has the chance to describe it. "Oh no!" "Yes!!", etc.

Fortunately today was a rare post-Brady era Sunday afternoon game where the Pats were actually the main national TV game in their time slot (and on in Idaho, in my case).

Last edited by molson : 11-20-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:51 PM   #1182
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ouch

Old 11-20-2022, 07:52 PM   #1183
molson
General Manager

Sidenote, I was watching the Vikings/Cowboys game in a neighbor's yard with some people - some sports fans, some not - I referred to Tony Romo as the "color commentator", and somebody thought I said "colored commentator" (because they weren't familiar with the former term, not being a sports fan I guess). Glad we straightened that out before I left!

Last edited by molson : 11-20-2022 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:52 PM   #1184
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Ouch

All I can say is thankfully, the Bears are not one of the teams slated to give away their first round pick.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #1185
molson
General Manager

Sometimes you come across a team that isn't "your team", but you get into in a particular season because of circumstances. That's the Seahawks for me this year - I have a lot of Seahawks fan friends, I love Pete Carroll when he's all running around and happy, and the Russell Wilson/Geno Smith thing is just fantastic.

Last edited by molson : 11-20-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #1186
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Sidenote, I was watching the Vikings/Cowboys game in a neighbor's yard with some people - some sports fans, some not - I referred to Tony Romo as the "color commentator", and somebody thought I said "colored commentator" (because they weren't familiar with the former term, not being a sports fan I guess). Glad we straightened that out before I left!

As I read this I immediately pictured this being an old Chappelle show skit.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:26 AM   #1187
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Ouch

The Rams won a Super Bowl out of the deal. So that's a win.

And the Browns knew what they were getting with the probable suspension. So that's TBD.

The Saints and Broncos really screwed this up.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:26 PM   #1188
Ksyrup

About freaking time. Gordon has absolutely not deserved all the carries he had this year - he shouldn't have even been resigned - but then he bitched after not being the starter a couple weeks ago, Hackett gives in, and he rewards him with a couple more debilitating fumbles. And FINALLY, he's released - on the same day Chase Edmonds is ruled out for multiple weeks, too.

Anyone want to audition?

Old 11-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #1189
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fields dislocated his non-throwing shoulder. No timetable yet on how long he's out.

As amazing of athlete as he is, and Dat Boy Run So Good (tm), I'm still not sold on him as an actual quarterback. He still misses wide open reads, and his accuracy is maddeningly inconsistent. Guy can scramble, he's an incredible runner, but he just can't throw when he has to.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-21-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:26 PM   #1190
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Fields dislocated his non-throwing shoulder. No timetable yet on how long he's out.

As amazing of athlete as he is, and Dat Boy Run So Good (tm), I'm still not sold on him as an actual quarterback. He still misses wide open reads, and his accuracy is maddeningly inconsistent. Guy can scramble, he's an incredible runner, but he just can't throw when he has to.

I would say at best, we don't know. He's made some great throws. He's missed some throws. But the Bears aren't throwing it enough to really know whether he can be a QB who can win a game with his arm.

I'll hold out that judgement until next season. If he looks like this next season, I'd be concerned.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #1191
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I would say at best, we don't know. He's made some great throws. He's missed some throws. But the Bears aren't throwing it enough to really know whether he can be a QB who can win a game with his arm.

That's the problem - for every "holy shit" throw he makes, there's half a dozen missed reads or missed throws.

Quote:
I'll hold out that judgement until next season. If he looks like this next season, I'd be concerned.

Problem is, next year, the Bears have a fuckload of cap space, and a top 5 pick. They COULD theoretically be something next year, but not if they're going to have to spend yet another season deciding if they have a QB or a running back.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #1192
Edward64
Head Coach

Falcons still in the playoff hunt with a 5-6 record. Not that big of a fan but did watch the game against the Bears. Entertaining game but definitely not a great performance.

Let's hope Tampa chokes against Cleveland to keep it interesting.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #1193
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
That's the problem - for every "holy shit" throw he makes, there's half a dozen missed reads or missed throws.

Problem is, next year, the Bears have a fuckload of cap space, and a top 5 pick. They COULD theoretically be something next year, but not if they're going to have to spend yet another season deciding if they have a QB or a running back.
Being something next year is a stretch, but possible. There's still a lot of holes on this roster that needs to be filled. Can Fields be the QB that team should build around? I think he is, but it's hard to tell. If he makes a jump, then they have a shot to go far. If he can't do the job, then you go get a QB in the next draft to fit into an already built up roster.

That is the ugly part of a rebuild. There's so much to fix, it's hard to tell if you have coal or diamonds in the rough.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:35 PM   #1194
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Report: Cardinals fire assistant coach Sean Kugler over incident in Mexico City - ProFootballTalk

I wonder what this this one is about.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #1195
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cardinals assistant coach Sean Kugler fired for groping woman, sources say
Old 11-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #1196
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is being benched for Mike White good for a QB's development? Asking for a friend.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #1197
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Being something next year is a stretch, but possible. There's still a lot of holes on this roster that needs to be filled. Can Fields be the QB that team should build around? I think he is, but it's hard to tell. If he makes a jump, then they have a shot to go far. If he can't do the job, then you go get a QB in the next draft to fit into an already built up roster.

That is the ugly part of a rebuild. There's so much to fix, it's hard to tell if you have coal or diamonds in the rough.

I think you look at every other QB in the draft the last couple years, including the can't miss of the decade, you are nuts to move on from Fields right now. I dunno, maybe it's just a terrible couple of years for QBs but the alternative is what... you end up with another project and hope he's got magic dust from day 1? There's no sure thing QB's where the Bears will be picking, and sometimes even the sure thing isn't a sure thing.

Also, everything you are saying about Fields was said about Jalen Hurts last year. As an outsider I just think that would be the stupidest thing an NFL team has done in a while. But I'm usually wrong on QB's so who knows.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #1198
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Is being benched for Mike White good for a QB's development? Asking for a friend.

IF you watched/wasted any part of 3+ hours watching the Jets/Pats game then you know this answer.

The Jets are like a mini version of the Donkeys. Both are wasting top 10 defenses and will not make the playoffs, except the Jets can cut their QB while Denver is set back years with that 250 million dollar mistake.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:07 PM   #1199
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I think you look at every other QB in the draft the last couple years, including the can't miss of the decade, you are nuts to move on from Fields right now. I dunno, maybe it's just a terrible couple of years for QBs but the alternative is what... you end up with another project and hope he's got magic dust from day 1? There's no sure thing QB's where the Bears will be picking, and sometimes even the sure thing isn't a sure thing.

Also, everything you are saying about Fields was said about Jalen Hurts last year. As an outsider I just think that would be the stupidest thing an NFL team has done in a while. But I'm usually wrong on QB's so who knows.

I agree. I think Justin is on track to be a solid QB for the Bears for a long time. He's not there now but he has a great chance to get there both with his arm and with his legs. And he's shown enough for the Bears to build around him in the offseason to see where he can go with a better roster.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #1200
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to see 2 Hogs lining up for the Lions. Ragnow and Skipper.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote