Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #1201
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
What are the main benefits with the foot pod? Is it for treadmill running? I was thinking of just getting the heart rate monitor.

I started using it for the treadmill this winter, but suspect I'll leverage the cadence information to try and help with my running form at some point where I get a little more serious about improving my performance.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1202
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The cadence info has been great for my running form, yes. I've also found the footpod very helpful when running intervals. It locks in on your pace significantly faster than GPS does and is much more accurate.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #1203
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah, I noticed it seemed lower in price from when I last looked.

Yeah, I since the 220 came out, the 210 has gone down in price significantly. I'm going for a refurbished 610. I'm usually not one for buying refurbs, but I thought I'd make this one exception. Crossing my fingers.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #1204
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
My next upgrade is likely to go from my 210 to a 620 myself, but that is quite a bit more expensive.
Yeah, I'm holding out for a 620.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1205
Izulde
Head Coach

38:32 5K
98th of 150 overall
44th of 54 men
15th of 19 men 30-39

12:25 min/mile pace

Not terrible, considering that's about what I was doing my 1.8 - 2 mile trains in for mile pace. At least I have a baseline time to work with now before February's 5K Color Run.

Oh, and it was cold by Vegas temperatures for the run - I'd say high 30s/early 40s this morning. It's decent now - in the high 40s/low 50s. Round about the last half-mile, rain started to hit.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #1206
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
98th of 150 overall
44th of 54 men
15th of 19 men 30-39

Not terrible, considering that's about what I was doing my 1.8 - 2 mile trains in for mile pace. At least I have a baseline time to work with now before February's 5K Color Run.

Oh, and it was cold by Vegas temperatures for the run - I'd say high 30s/early 40s this morning. It's decent now - in the high 40s/low 50s. Round about the last half-mile, rain started to hit.

Nice job out there!

Just a note, Color Runs generally are not ones that you can really run for time. Usually the amount of people and the way the run is designed to encourage people to group up makes it be a run that is more to just enjoy going out with friends and the social aspect than a "race".

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1207
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
98th of 150 overall
44th of 54 men
15th of 19 men 30-39

great job on the race Tim!

FM
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #1208
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Congrats Izulde!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1209
AnalBumCover
College Starter

*GULP*

I got a 10K Santa Run this Saturday. It'll be a fast, flat course along the streets of Costa Mesa, CA. Expecting it to be 52-58F degrees and sunny at the start.

This'll be my first 10K race. I've run a 10K distance only once in training. As you know, my training has been sidelined due to illness, but based on the few training runs I did get in and the 5K race a couple of weeks ago, I expect to finish the 10K around 1:30:00.

1:30:00+, I'll be fortunate to have finished considering minimal training.
Under 1:30:00, I'll be happy.
Under 1:25:00, I'll be doing backflips.

I've considered deferring my registration to next year, but because I've got a 1/2 marathon scheduled in February, I felt I need to get the experience of a 10k race under my belt.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 12-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #1210
Ben E Lou

Despite a leash law, my neighborhood is bad about unleashed dogs. Any recommendations for an easy-to-use pepper spray?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #1211
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't have any recommendations. Luckily that is something that hasn't affected me too much (I have a weird phobia about dogs). I do at times get extremely anxious when passing yards with electric fences and the dogs come running right up next to me like they want to eat me. I've managed to figure out where most of those are by now thankfully.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #1212
Poli
FOFC Survivor

15k coming up Sunday. Should be a nice cold morning in St. Louis.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #1213
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
15k coming up Sunday. Should be a nice cold morning in St. Louis.

have fun! Any goals for the race?

FM
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #1214
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Despite a leash law, my neighborhood is bad about unleashed dogs. Any recommendations for an easy-to-use pepper spray?

Water pistol filled with ammonia? I seem to remember that being what my Dad used to carry when he ran.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #1215
Kodos
Resident Alien

Luckily, I have not had any dog encounters.

Also makes my frequent runs at the track look good.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #1216
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Well, made it official yesterday, as a Christmas gift I got my season ticket to races for next Summer!

Overall these 5 races:
1) Half Marathon on May 4th
2) 8 km trail race on May 19th
3) a downhill race of 10 km on June 1st
4) a staircase challenge of 19 km on June 15
5a) fun run under the stars on August 22
5) a full marathon on August 24

The fun run is a prelude to the marathon, ran on the Friday evening preceding the marathon which is on sunday, on a 1.5 k loop you can you 1, 2 or 3 times.

I will quite probably add a 5K on July 4th which for us is not a Holiday but the date will make it cool any way. That'd make it my first official 5K... I'd also want to do the 18K race around the lake that I did back in October but that'll be way after the marathon, in October again.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 12-12-2013 at 11:47 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #1217
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Nice FM! looks like you have a full slate to work for this spring!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #1218
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Nice FM! looks like you have a full slate to work for this spring!

absolutely! Official HM training starts on February 10. Until then, I will TRY to take it easy

Wanted to ask you, since I know you use training load with SportTracks but what's your TSB like at this time of year? I think it's the first time since I started running that it's pretty much staying on the positives all week long. Guess I'm doing some miles but they're just too easy miles

FM
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #1219
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
ran on the Friday evening preceding the marathong
What is this, some new running undergarment? :
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #1220
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
What is this, some new running undergarment? :

oops, edited

FM
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #1221
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
absolutely! Official HM training starts on February 10. Until then, I will TRY to take it easy

Wanted to ask you, since I know you use training load with SportTracks but what's your TSB like at this time of year? I think it's the first time since I started running that it's pretty much staying on the positives all week long. Guess I'm doing some miles but they're just too easy miles

FM

My TSB today is -8, was -11/-12 last week though. I'm 10 weeks from my marathon though, so been ramping up my CTL slowly for the past month.

Prior to that, after my half-marathon when I was in maintenance mode, and running a few 5k races, I was bouncing between 0 and 11 mostly. I was in the positive from my Half marathon taper (about two weeks before my race since I injured my foot on that screw) until the beginning of November.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #1222
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
My TSB today is -8, was -11/-12 last week though. I'm 10 weeks from my marathon though, so been ramping up my CTL slowly for the past month.

Prior to that, after my half-marathon when I was in maintenance mode, and running a few 5k races, I was bouncing between 0 and 11 mostly. I was in the positive from my Half marathon taper (about two weeks before my race since I injured my foot on that screw) until the beginning of November.

yeah, your current status is quite different than mine, as I don't have any races lined up, doing mostly treadmill running and just coming off a headcold that slowed me down for about a week.

I am doing the December run streak challenge although I'm taking it very easy. Still running 3-5 semi serious runs a week with a speedwork session in the middle and a somewhat long run in the weekend, but really the training will kick off more in February, so I guess it's ok to maintain the weekly mileage, yet take it a bit easier for now...

Still doing my plank challenge. Now up to week 3, 90 seconds each of 4 types of planks, done this way:
regular plank
right side plank
reverse plank
left side plank
regular plank

90 seconds really pushed me on the side planks

FM
Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #1223
AnalBumCover
College Starter

About an hour til the gun fires. It's a brisk 45F right now. Clear skies.

Wish me luck!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #1224
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

good luck, have fun!

FM
Old 12-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #1225
hoopsguy
General Manager

Best of luck, ABC.
Jealous of your weather, as usual.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #1226
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Best of luck, ABC.
Jealous of your weather, as usual.

yeah, that too. It was a not so nice -13F that felt like -29F around here this morning... yeah, that meant treadmill all the way...

FM
Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #1227
HerRealName
College Prospect

Yeah, I had a free morning to run finally and instead I was shoveling about 6 inches of snow. Good luck ABC.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #1228
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Yeah, I had a free morning to run finally and instead I was shoveling about 6 inches of snow. Good luck ABC.

Thats one advantage of living in Florida - went for a 5 mile run around midnight last night, was a lovely 65 degrees out .... not hot, not cold, just right.

PS - Personally I'd enjoy some snow despite it being hard to exercise in, theres something kinda cool about having proper seasons to mark the passing of time imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #1229
Kodos
Resident Alien

Screw the seasons. I'll trade with you.

Have a good run, ABC!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #1230
nol
Banned

I'm about to step back into the running world today. Right now, I could probably run a 5:30-5:45 mile if you put a gun to my head, but then I'd be sore for the next week. What's a good percentage of your max pace to run at as you build up a base?

Also, how much time do you guys spend stretching before/after you run? I've taken it for granted that I'm not as flexible as I was in high school, and my lack of stretching is probably the main thing that has contributed to my soreness in the past.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #1231
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I'm about to step back into the running world today. Right now, I could probably run a 5:30-5:45 mile if you put a gun to my head, but then I'd be sore for the next week. What's a good percentage of your max pace to run at as you build up a base?
LOL - I 'might' be able to do a single mile at somewhere near that pace ... perhaps (I think 7-8 minutes would be more realistic) ... but when I run I normally aim for between 10-12 minute miles myself and do longer distances (3-5 miles normally) ... for me its about building stamina and keeping in some vague shape so I can continue playing soccer.

Quote:
Also, how much time do you guys spend stretching before/after you run? I've taken it for granted that I'm not as flexible as I was in high school, and my lack of stretching is probably the main thing that has contributed to my soreness in the past.
I do a bit of stretching before I set out and do a 5 minute speed walk before starting to jog. I'm definitely not as flexible as when I was younger, but a large part of that is down to knee ligament damage from various knocks playing soccer*.

I'm also getting better at 'warming down' after a run (and playing soccer) and find that helps avoid some issues.

*My kids tend to take the mick at how often I have knee issues these days, its a known fact that chances are if I play soccer for 2-3 hours then I'll be sat with a cold compress on my knee later that evening - 'tis par for the course and frankly its worth it in my eyes.

PS - Good luck with your run ABC

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #1232
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I've got a lot of holiday related activities this weekend so I wont be able to post a full race report until late Sunday or Monday. In the meantime, my run is posted on Strava.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1233
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post

To the first part, if you have no base, then my suggestion would be to do 0% of your runs at max or even near max pace. The most beneficial thing to do in building a base is just running more miles. To run more miles, take it easy conversational pace when you run. The speed is less relevant to how much you are running. After you are running 20-30 miles per week, speed workouts start becoming important.

For stretching, I do absolutely zero stretching before I run. The first ten minutes - twenty minutes of every run I do is taken at an easy pace to warm up before I push myself any. After a run, I will do a cool down, and some stretches, but more I'll do foam rolling to work out the build up lactic acid in the muscles.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #1234
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just passed the 100 mile mark for 2013. 48 of that since November 2nd. Pretty happy with my recent progress, considering I had pretty much given up on running in October. The starting off with shorter runs theory really seems to have made all the difference for me. Kinda funny that my running ramped up right when it became the most inconvenient to run (most of my runs are before the sun comes up and in the cold).

Anyhow, just pleased that I seem to be on track now after a series of false starts over the summer and fall.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #1235
hoopsguy
General Manager

Anyone here have advice on home treadmills? We're having some issues with the current (7 year old) one and it sounds like it is a couple of hundred dollars just to schedule a visit, let alone repair.

Biggest limiting factor we've got is that we've only got room for a 55" running base; the space where we have it won't support 60.

This one has gotten the best reviews @ treadmilldoctor.com, which is the best site I've found up to this point.
Amazon.com: Smooth Fitness 5.65 Folding Treadmill: Sports & Outdoors

But the numerous reports of Smooth being a particularly poor support organization have me a bit concerned. Any thoughts on Smooth, or 55" treadmills in general are very much appreciated.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1236
nol
Banned

Quote:
To the first part, if you have no base, then my suggestion would be to do 0% of your runs at max or even near max pace. The most beneficial thing to do in building a base is just running more miles. To run more miles, take it easy conversational pace when you run. The speed is less relevant to how much you are running. After you are running 20-30 miles per week, speed workouts start becoming important.

Thanks for the advice! I should have specified that I'm not looking to go full speed any time soon; I was just wondering if there was any sort of rule of thumb for exactly how much slower than max pace I'd need to go to run 4-5 miles comfortably. Did 4 miles at 8:00 yesterday and that seemed about right. A little sore today, but nothing too out of control.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #1237
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Race Post: Troutman Sanders Renegade Santa 10K Run

Staying true to form, Southern California gave us beautiful sunny weather for our event. Specifically, I was in Irvine, CA in Orange County. It was a relatively chilly 45F to start the morning, but warmed up to about 50-55F at the gun.

The 5K and 10K races both started at the same time, so an excess of 1,500 racers were running through the starting gates. Being a 14:00 pace runner, I kept myself way in the back of the pack. I didn't cross the starting line until way past 2 minutes.

The course followed a nice bike and running trail that went along the creek and through the neighborhood. About a quarter portion of the course was packed dirt, which I wasn't expecting, but had experience with from my Stache Dash race back in November.

About 1.5 into the race, the 5k runners split from the 10k runners and 2/3rds of the field disappeared. I felt pretty lonely near the back of the pack. Thankfully, I had the Nerdist podcast with Aziz Ansari in my earbuds to keep me company.

The most difficult part of the course was began from mile 4 to 5.5 with a very slight incline (1.5-2.0% grade). Having already run 4 miles, that 1.5% could have very well been 3-4%.

With the last 1/2 mile to go, and heading back down grade, I picked up my pace and had enough gas for a nice kick at the end. A friend of mine who finished the race at half my time cheered me on through the finish line.

Official race results:

Gun Time: 1:30:58
Chip Time: 1:28:43

596th of 620 total runners
275th of 280 male runners
35th of 35 in Age Group Male 40-44

Once again, I took last in my age group. If someone has to do it, I am very proud to be that guy. There's only one way to go but up from here!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #1238
cuervo72
Head Coach

You're also ahead of the countless folks who were at home, sitting on their duffs.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #1239
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

You did fantastically - kudos
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #1240
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yes, great job ABC!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #1241
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great job, ABC! I love your attitude!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #1242
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

awesome job and great attitude ABC! Way to go!

FM
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #1243
Subby
lolzcat

ABC is my hero. He's doing it, and that is all that matters.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #1244
Subby
lolzcat

Don't forget to sign up for our ELITE ATHLETES club on Strava:

FOFC | Strava

Kudos to last week's overall time leader, ALAN T!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #1245
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Thanks for the kudos, guys. I have a good attitude about these runs because it's this attitude that gets me outside. If I felt any less about my results, I would never want to run again. I love that I keep challenging myself, if not my pace, at least my distance.

Also, I've been lucky to have fair weather here in SoCal... I've seen photos and Strava posts of some of your runs in the snow and the below-freezing temps, and I'd be damned if I had to face those conditions.

With only 7 weeks to go before my first 1/2 marathon, I'm glad to have gotten familiar with a 10K race. That distance was already mentally challenging, having only raced in 5Ks this year. My training for the half was delayed by a full month, but I think this 10K race got me back on track, at least mentally.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1246
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Nice job ABC. That time seems to be about mine right now, except I am doing that at a much shorter distance.

I'm trying to get myself going again after being sick. I think I may move back a week in my C25K program so I can get back my positive feelings about finishing. I don't have an actual race scheduled, so it's not like it is messing up a training schedule or anything.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #1247
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Way to go, ABC!

I should throw out there now that I am signed up for the Surf City half-marathon on February 1. I am looking forward to it.

Real life has gotten in the way of my three half-marathons, one full marathon plan, but only in that it has slowed down the process, not stopped it from happening. I'm going to run the Surf City and then see where I am from there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #1248
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
ABC is my hero. He's doing it, and that is all that matters.

this, a thousand times. And as they say, a 6 minute mile or a 12 minute mile is still a mile.

FM
Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #1249
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Way to go, ABC!

I should throw out there now that I am signed up for the Surf City half-marathon on February 1. I am looking forward to it.

Real life has gotten in the way of my three half-marathons, one full marathon plan, but only in that it has slowed down the process, not stopped it from happening. I'm going to run the Surf City and then see where I am from there.
Surf City half is on Feb 2. That's what I'm signed up for as well.

My friend told me about this half marathon and how he really HATES this course. While it's beautiful and flat along the coast of Huntington Beach, 70% of the course is going up and down PCH, and all you see is the looooong stretch of the highway that seemingly never ends.

Knowing this, I'm probably going to adjust my training routes to long and straight out-&-back runs, maybe along the river or Beach Blvd or something.
I hope to overcome the mental challenges of running long, boring stretches of pavement.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #1250
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh, heh, I wasn't sure on the date. Good to know it is the 2nd. Would have been prettly lonely running it on the 1st.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote