Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #12751
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I know it's most likely just one of those automated deals that a lot of bands/celebrities use to populate their Twitter BUT ... you can't tell me that it isn't pretty cool to log in and discover that Foreigner is now following you (especially when you didn't follow them first). ‪
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #12752
bhlloy
Coordinator

Probably belongs in the pet peeves thread but somebody mentioned LinkedIn above and made me think of it... if you are a technical recruiter you need to know the difference between SQL the procedural language and Microsoft SQL server. My job title is Database Engineer and (somewhat obviously) SQL is one of my most endorsed skills, that doesn't mean I'm in any way qualified or want your job with 8-10 years of SQL Server experience. In fact if you paid any attention, you'd notice that SQL Server is probably the one main RDBMS that I don't have listed, and that's for a reason.

I've just started ignoring them at this point, even if it does bite me if I'm ever looking for a job later. Also, while SQL Server isn't a terrible product it does make me realize how many businesses just run things because it's MS. Seems like 8/10 jobs out there are for that platform.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #12753
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

WHY WASN'T THIS IN THE PETER JACKSON MOVIES!111111111111111111

Left, right, left, right, left, right, left...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #12754
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Probably belongs in the pet peeves thread but somebody mentioned LinkedIn above and made me think of it... if you are a technical recruiter you need to know the difference between SQL the procedural language and Microsoft SQL server. My job title is Database Engineer and (somewhat obviously) SQL is one of my most endorsed skills, that doesn't mean I'm in any way qualified or want your job with 8-10 years of SQL Server experience. In fact if you paid any attention, you'd notice that SQL Server is probably the one main RDBMS that I don't have listed, and that's for a reason.

I've just started ignoring them at this point, even if it does bite me if I'm ever looking for a job later. Also, while SQL Server isn't a terrible product it does make me realize how many businesses just run things because it's MS. Seems like 8/10 jobs out there are for that platform.

LinkedIn recruiters arent even reading your bio.

Again referencing my friend above, who is a recruiter, and VERY successful at it. He has a personal goal of 50 invites per job opening, per day. The net gets larger and less qualified... to the point where he once told me at some point he will find 1 good candidate and just ping every one of his contacts.

This seems totally ineffective to me but based on the number of folks he places it must work out ok
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #12755
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Does anyone have the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad by apple? I recently got a used Mac Pro, but I can't bridge the gap from a 20 dollar pc mouse all the way up to a Magic Trackpad at $70. I like all the gestures my macbook air does, so I guess this would really be similar.

I'll just quote myself, but I got the Magic Trackpad in the mail today and it's pretty sweet. Not sure if it's $70 sweet, but it works pretty flawlessly thus far and is good about recognizing all of the Mac gestures.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #12756
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Probably belongs in the pet peeves thread but somebody mentioned LinkedIn above and made me think of it... if you are a technical recruiter you need to know the difference between SQL the procedural language and Microsoft SQL server...

Similarly, I am a spacecraft systems engineer. People see "systems engineer" and they think computers/networks, not satellites. It's not even recruiters or head-hunters, it's the stupid automated ads. I hate that. Job searching for a spacecraft systems position can be...interesting.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #12757
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just list rocket scientist, tk. It's close enough.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #12758
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
So, I picked up a case of wine and a case of beer this week.

Actually, there were 6 22oz beers and two four packs, so in reality, more like 20 beers, not a full 24.

Standard case of wine which is 12 bottles.

The randomness comes in that the cost of the beer case was more than the wine. Confirmation that craft beers have jumped the shark.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #12759
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Had my surgery yesterday. Umbilical and Inguinal hernias removed. I am bruised from Belly Button to groin.

I hurt from the surgery, but the hernia pain is gone and I am happy for that.

Now, it's time to focus on making the rest of the year amazing!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #12760
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Similarly, I am a spacecraft systems engineer. People see "systems engineer" and they think computers/networks, not satellites. It's not even recruiters or head-hunters, it's the stupid automated ads. I hate that. Job searching for a spacecraft systems position can be...interesting.

/tk

I took down my resume a while back but I was a "field engineer" (i.e. the guy with a screwdriver and part) for a large computer company a while back so I still get recruiters looking for people wanting construction help

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #12761
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I took down my resume a while back but I was a "field engineer" (i.e. the guy with a screwdriver and part) for a large computer company a while back so I still get recruiters looking for people wanting construction help

SI

Which is a whole other pet peeve of mine.

"Engineer" is one of the professional exempt job classifications. Historically regardless of job function or education unless you were a registered P.E. you could not hold a job with the title of Engineer. In fact in an unenforced NC state law it is actually illegal to employ someone as any form of engineer who is not a registered professional.

I have a(n) EE degree but never went through the EIT -> PE test and licensing process and have never used the term or referred to myself as an engineer...in fact when I went back to work last year I specifically required the company to change my title from sales engineer to something different. Yet every field tech we hire is a field engineer and it grates my nerves. Not sure why it just does. As a result I always refer to them as techs not FE...and we have one who will correct me every time.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #12762
MrBug708
Head Coach

Saw this in person. Was pretty scary but glad everyone was ok

Students Injured in SoCal School Stage Collapse | NBC Southern California
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #12763
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have a bad habit of dropping knives. I also usually cook barefoot. The combination is a bad one.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #12764
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have a bad habit of dropping knives. I also usually cook barefoot. The combination is a bad one.

I see a scene from Adventures in Baby-Sitting in your future...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #12765
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Ever been amazed at the customer service for a company while their product continually failed you?

I ordered some fake LED lighted candles for the house a couple of months ago for our bedroom. Three different sizes, paraffin coated so they look pretty damn real. The ones I ordered can change colors (like 8 different colors) or you can set them for a particular color. They have a 4 and 8 hour timer as well as a remote control. They look pretty cool.

Set 1 comes, everything works out of the box for a couple of weeks. Then I notice that the middle candle's blue color didn't work anymore. I attempted to contact the manufacturer, but couldn't be sure I emailed the right place. So I bundle them up, ship them back to Amazon for a refund and write a 1 star review.

The seller contacts me a few days later. They're obviously chinese (last name + difficulty with the English language), but they're trying to set things right. They offer to send me a new set of candles completely for free if I'll change my review. I said I would update my review and I was very impressed with their response. After all, they could have just not responded at all.

Set #2 arrives. The middle candle is DOA. I had already updated my review, so I contacted them and told them that the middle candle was dead. They said they would check with their warehouse and get back to me. That was a week ago. I was set to go back to Amazon and change my review again when a box showed up at my door today.

Set #3. Wow!!! Amazing customer service!!! Except 2 of the 3 are DOA. What...the...hell? So I've emailed them yet again.

So do I one-star the product on Amazon because it keeps dying or do I five-star it for them trying to get me a working set even though they know I returned the original set for a refund?

Changed my Amazon review back to a 1 star. Company emailed me and asked why...

Really?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #12766
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Had my surgery yesterday. Umbilical and Inguinal hernias removed. I am bruised from Belly Button to groin.

I hope you have a quick recovery, Dennis.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #12767
molson
General Manager

So apparently a robot is playing a human at ping pong tomorrow? Like the missing plane, this feels like the first scene of a movie. But in this one, the robot wins at ping pong, and then writes a best-selling book, and then runs for office and wins, and then builds a military, and then destroys us all.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-one-a...you-1539138929

Last edited by molson : 03-10-2014 at 05:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #12768
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

You've been walking around all this time with your umbilical cord? 'Bout time you got it removed!

Good to hear that the recovery is going well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #12769
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So apparently a robot is playing a human at ping pong tomorrow? Like the missing plane, this feels like the first scene of a movie. But in this one, the robot wins at ping pong, and then writes a best-selling book, and then runs for office and wins, and then builds a military, and then destroys us all.

This super nifty one armed robot is better at ping pong than you

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm not all that impressed. Making a robot do better mechanical motions than us seems like it's one of the easier things to do

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #12770
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Maybe just haven't been paying attention but I haven't seen anything this year about Mcdonalds shamrock shakes. Never actually had one.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #12771
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but I'm not all that impressed. Making a robot do better mechanical motions than us seems like it's one of the easier things to do

SI

The actual mechanical stuff probably isn't too hard. Tracking the ball and making the correct decision on how to hit the ball and where to hit it is probably much harder, and especially at speed.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #12772
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe just haven't been paying attention but I haven't seen anything this year about Mcdonalds shamrock shakes. Never actually had one.

I haven't seen any advertising for them, but they have them. And they are still pretty darn good.

Last year, they pretty much stopped serving them right after St. Patty's Day, so if you want one, better hurry.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #12773
molson
General Manager

I've had a fun minor league sports week. I saw my first game from a suite Saturday - it was the ECHL's Idaho Steelheads, so it was nothing super-fancy, but it was pretty modern and the arena is located inside of Boise's best hotel. There were a couple of rows of seats hanging over the ice attached to what was basically a niceish hotel room, with a TV and sofas and food and such. Tonight I'm seeing the NBDL's Stampede from a courtside season ticket dinner table, where apparently it's pretty common for basketballs to bounce over and knock over your beer and food. If I had just a bit more money and time, I'd love to be a season ticket holder for both, I bet it's a fun scene, they have random events like "Stampede draft party night". I can't even imagine what an NBDL draft party entails, but I'd love to go. Are the fans getting all worked up over what guy they're taking in the 5th round, or is it just an excuse to get out and drink? I imagine there's this little minor league sports fan community in town that takes in all the Steelheads/Stampedes/Hawks stuff. Probably the same people over and over, since Boise is pretty much a million miles from any other city and any other sports and entertainment option.

Last edited by molson : 03-12-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #12774
CraigSca
Pro Starter

That sounds awesome, Molson! Have a great time!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #12775
JediKooter
Coordinator

Amazon Prime going up to $99 a year. Doesn't really bother me much, I usually make that up in the shipping costs after a few purchases anyway.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #12776
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've had a fun minor league sports week. I saw my first game from a suite Saturday - it was the ECHL's Idaho Steelheads, so it was nothing super-fancy, but it was pretty modern and the arena is located inside of Boise's best hotel. There were a couple of rows of seats hanging over the ice attached to what was basically a niceish hotel room, with a TV and sofas and food and such. Tonight I'm seeing the NBDL's Stampede from a courtside season ticket dinner table, where apparently it's pretty common for basketballs to bounce over and knock over your beer and food. If I had just a bit more money and time, I'd love to be a season ticket holder for both, I bet it's a fun scene, they have random events like "Stampede draft party night". I can't even imagine what an NBDL draft party entails, but I'd love to go. Are the fans getting all worked up over what guy they're taking in the 5th round, or is it just an excuse to get out and drink? I imagine there's this little minor league sports fan community in town that takes in all the Steelheads/Stampedes/Hawks stuff. Probably the same people over and over, since Boise is pretty much a million miles from any other city and any other sports and entertainment option.

Be careful at those Steelhead games

Idaho Steelheads hockey fans sue arena owner over beer prices

Quote:
A handful of Idaho hockey fans have filed a potentially class action lawsuit against the owner of a Boise arena, contending that they were victims of a beer scam, paying more for a "large" beer that held the same amount of liquid as a "small."
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #12777
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Haha, that's been a big story around here. I try to stick to dollar-beer Wednesdays.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #12778
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Amazon Prime going up to $99 a year. Doesn't really bother me much, I usually make that up in the shipping costs after a few purchases anyway.

Only going up to $49 for students so yay me.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #12779
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Only going up to $49 for students so yay me.

Looks like it's time for me to head back to school! That's pretty cool that they have a student price, makes sense, just never knew about it.

With all the free Classic Doctor Who episodes I watch and other free stuff, $99 still seems like a good deal to me. 49 would be awesome, but, I can't complain too much.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #12780
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The sheer amount of discounts students get it almost feels like I would pick up a class at a community college once in a while and then use that to get deals for things. Software alone can likely cover the cost of a class.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #12781
JediKooter
Coordinator

Speaking of that, I did that for a bunch of software from Autodesk. Like Maya and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment. Easily over $5K in software I got for free. A class at a community college is what, maybe $100 dollars?

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-14-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #12782
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of that, I did that for a bunch of software from Autodesk. Like Maya and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment. Easily over $5K in software I got for free. A class at a community college is what, maybe $100 dollars?

$350ish for me. Still, if you go for high end software, you are winning in the end.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #12783
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
$350ish for me. Still, if you go for high end software, you are winning in the end.

Yup, even at 350 that is still a pretty good bargain.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #12784
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #12785
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quiznos files for bankruptcy | Money - Home
Old 03-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #12786
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I think I've only ever eaten at Quinos once or twice. I never really thought it was all that great, so it's never on my radar.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #12787
JediKooter
Coordinator

Well maybe now Subway will finally stop asking me if I want my sandwich toasted.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #12788
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I can walk to one. It closed for a bit and came back under new management. I think that management left, or I just didn't see the guy anymore. They had new employees rather often and were on the low side for customers. The same can be said for my local Pancheros though. It's kind of surprising, but I can see it.

Last edited by Matthean : 03-14-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #12789
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quiznos is my favorite sub place, but we don't have any around here.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #12790
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Mancino's which is mostly a Midwest place is mine. Only thing that really beats them is a top notch deli restaurant.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #12791
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well maybe now Subway will finally stop asking me if I want my sandwich toasted.

I hope they never stop asking me that.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #12792
Logan
Head Coach

My favorite thing about Quiznos was the pickle bar. Sliced pickles, banana peppers, jalapenos, etc. I would fill up about 8 of those things and take them to go.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #12793
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

You should figure out a way for Subway to never ask you anything.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #12794
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Except if they would ask if you'd like to be introduced to Nastia Liukin.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #12795
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My favorite thing about Quiznos was the pickle bar. Sliced pickles, banana peppers, jalapenos, etc. I would fill up about 8 of those things and take them to go.

Hence them*going bankrupt
Old 03-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #12796
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I hope they never stop asking me that.

If I'm ordering a meatball sandwich, yes toast it please, any other sandwich...keep my meat out of that oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan

I've tried. The grunts and body language just gets me a visit from the police.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #12797
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I basically have to scream at them to hold the mayo at this point. One light pass asswhites!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #12798
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You know your life is predictable when...

The guys at the pizza place say "we were just talking about you and saying you were running late. It's all ready to go in the oven" when you walk in 20 minutes later than usual on a Friday night.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #12799
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
You know your life is predictable when...

The guys at the pizza place say "we were just talking about you and saying you were running late. It's all ready to go in the oven" when you walk in 20 minutes later than usual on a Friday night.

There is something comforting about that as well. Sounds like a well run business.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #12800
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is something comforting about that as well. Sounds like a well run business.

I worked some part time at a local gas station at one point and (sadly) knew what like 95% of all the people that came in there smoked. I'd just be like 1 pack or 2 and it would blow their minds sometimes. Obviously a complete waste of my brain space.