Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #1251
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Definitely will need to see some major spending cuts, but he's clearly made the case that he's willing to trim the fat quite a bit. I certainly agree that we have to see those changes before we can believe them.

He said he wants to massively expand the militry and has a infrastructure plan that dwarfs anything that has ever been proposed. Also has said no cuts to Medicare and SS.

Where are you cutting fat that could possible make up for the revenue loss and massibe increase in spending?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #1252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On a side note that has me fairly amused tonight ...

I believe I've read where Kid Rock is performing at the inauguration.
What could possibly be more appropriate for his performance than "Ain't Never Met ..."?

Hell, that could replace Hail To The Chief sooooo easily.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #1253
RainMaker
General Manager

Positions seem to mirror those of the Kremlin. Hmmmmmmm.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a..._medium=social
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #1254
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How is the Mattis/Trump relationship going to work? Mattis just said NATO was the most important alliance in our history and now Trump says it's obsolete.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #1255
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How is the Mattis/Trump relationship going to work? Mattis just said NATO was the most important alliance in our history and now Trump says it's obsolete.

You can say that for any number of items.

Train wreck coming...
Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #1256
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just think Mattis is the most likely to say fuck this shit.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #1257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I didn't see the quote but the two notions aren't mutually exclusive.

NATO has been historically significant.
It could be approaching obsolescence in its current form.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #1258
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You should read Mattis' testimony. He was absolutely saying NATO is important now. At one point he said that if NATO didn't exist we would need to create it. He also said that Putin is trying to break NATO.

That isn't surprising as he's previously been high in the NATO command.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #1259
RainMaker
General Manager

Wouldn't it be funny if Trump of all people got us universal health care?

Trump vows ‘insurance for everybody’ in Obamacare replacement plan - The Washington Post

I will say I like the part about negotiating with drug companies. That aspect of Medicare and Medicaid is ludicrous and costs taxpayers a lot of money.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #1260
tarcone
Coordinator

Why is that funny?

I think this guy will get more done than any of you guys think he will.

Remember, this guy isnt a D or an R. He has things he wants to do. And the wherewithall to do them.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #1261
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Why is that funny?

Remember, this guy isnt a D or an R. He has things he wants to do. And the wherewithall to do them.

I think it'd be amazing if he managed to put in place Universal Health Care - but it would be funny (in an ironic manner) because it was lambasted so enthusiastically by the Republicans and 99% of people who voted for him ... remember the 'death panels' when Obamacare was in its infancy and meant to be more akin to a Universal system? ..

Its more dark humor because I feel that the Republicans obstructed a lot of stuff they knew were good ideas (such as Universal Health Care) because it wasn't them doing it rather than because it was bad for the country, in a similar manner look at their stance on spending on infrastructure and how it was under Obama (and potentially Hillary when she was running) ... but now Trump is talking about it, its a fantastic idea - balancing the budget/reducing debt ... not so important suddenly

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #1262
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Everybody covered. Lower deductibles. Cheaper. Not single payer.

Sounds easy. Let's do it!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #1263
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I think it'd be amazing if he managed to put in place Universal Health Care - but it would be funny (in an ironic manner) because it was lambasted so enthusiastically by the Republicans and 99% of people who voted for him ... remember the 'death panels' when Obamacare was in its infancy and meant to be more akin to a Universal system? ..

Its more dark humor because I feel that the Republicans obstructed a lot of stuff they knew were good ideas (such as Universal Health Care) because it wasn't them doing it rather than because it was bad for the country, in a similar manner look at their stance on spending on infrastructure and how it was under Obama (and potentially Hillary when she was running) ... but now Trump is talking about it, its a fantastic idea - balancing the budget/reducing debt ... not so important suddenly

And the dems intentionally lied to the American people about what Obama care was.

The architect of Obamacare at a conference: "And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical to get for the thing to pass. Look, I wish Mark was right that we could make it all transparent, but I’d rather have this law than not."

The Republicans treated Obama like garbage. The democrats treated Bush like pure garbage. And the American public will let their own side slide with any problems with the truth because "we are only doing this because of the other side"

That got us where we are. I have no idea how the hell we get out.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #1264
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
The Republicans treated Obama like garbage. The democrats treated Bush like pure garbage. And the American public will let their own side slide with any problems with the truth because "we are only doing this because of the other side"
I'd agree with that - I think it'd be fantastic to see politicians 'work' with their opposite numbers for the good of the country, but I'm not sure how to get there from here.

Perhaps Trump can do it - its possible, but his authoritarian style is concerning because while it probably gives him the ability to force things through and persuade people to work together I'm not presently certain he'll be focusing them on things which I perceive as good rather than stripping health services from women (ie. Planned Parenthood does a lot more than just assist with abortions) and suchlike.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm waiting on his healthcare plans details with interest - I'm expecting it to be empty rhetoric, but I'd be happy to be wrong on this ... what he's describing sounds very much like a single payer system ...
Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #1265
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Name one thing where Trump's team has released anything close to a detailed plan.

There is no health plan. Trump will throw out a few things(probably contradictory), argue with Congress for show, sign whatever they pass, and then claim credit for the greatest healthcare plan ever. That plan will look a lot like the GOP plan and very little like a single payer plan.

And as long as Congress doesn't push back on his conflicts or his ties to Russia, that's how things will go on every issue.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #1266
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Name one thing where Trump's team has released anything close to a detailed plan

I'm fully expecting that to be the case - but at the moment its purely speculation and I'm trying not to pre-judge, I'd love to be wrong.

If I'm not then I'm hopeful that over time continued things like this will ensure that better decisions are made at the next election by the populace.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #1267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'd agree with that - I think it'd be fantastic to see politicians 'work' with their opposite numbers for the good of the country, but I'm not sure how to get there from here.

I keep seeing people say this sort of thing, I continue to scratch my head.

When there's such considerable disagreement (to put it mildly) about what constitutes 'the good of the country", you're essentially asking for one to either abandon their beliefs or work against their own beliefs.

How does either make sense, as an action or even as an expectation.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #1268
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I keep seeing people say this sort of thing, I continue to scratch my head.

When there's such considerable disagreement (to put it mildly) about what constitutes 'the good of the country", you're essentially asking for one to either abandon their beliefs or work against their own beliefs.

How does either make sense, as an action or even as an expectation.

Because once you realize you can't/won't get everything you want, you can work to find common ground? There is a middle ground between "round up millions of illegal immigrants" and "give everyone amnesty" Will getting there be easy? Hell no. Some of those discussions get messy. But we damned well don't get anywhere if the left screams racism and the right screams COMMIE at each other for 3 hours.

It isn't about working against your own beliefs. That is absurd.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #1269
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It isn't about working against your own beliefs. That is absurd.

Yes, we can agree, working against your own beliefs IS absurd.

And if you believe (just to pick an example) that rounding up every single invader here illegally IS the proper course, then settling for anything less IS working against your own beliefs.

That "middle ground" you mentioned is simply capitulation.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #1270
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now it's already being walked back. The Trump team is now saying that he meant the insurance market would be available to everyone. So if you can afford insurance, you're set, if not, oh well.

Remarkably, that's the Ryan plan, too.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #1271
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Why is that funny?

Because universal health care has been something Republicans have been against for decades. It would be funny if he was able to pass it as a Republican with a Republican legislature.

Nonetheless he backtracked today so it appears he got put in his place by the party or lobbyists.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #1272
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, we can agree, working against your own beliefs IS absurd.

And if you believe (just to pick an example) that rounding up every single invader here illegally IS the proper course, then settling for anything less IS working against your own beliefs.

That "middle ground" you mentioned is simply capitulation.

So rather than work toward finding a middle ground and a plan to move forward they all stay as well as all of the illegals who come here until we do have a plan both sides have signed off on.

Sounds like a wonderful plan. That's been the plan for the last 12 years or so. How is that working out? Hell, we may as well just grant them all amnesty, because the sanctuary cities are doing that anyway and will continue until the the dems and reps actually agree on solution where they both lose a little and win a little. The left win big on this battle. The status quo gives them exactly what they want.

By no means am I only throwing sarcasm in your direction. There is a very large group of people who say that wanting immigration control is pure racism and compare anyone who believes in it to Adolf Hitler. And the "right" wins on a lot of stuff because the left won't compromise.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #1273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So rather than work toward finding a middle ground and a plan to move forward they all stay as well as all of the illegals who come here until we do have a plan both sides have signed off on.

Umm ... we need the Ds to sign off ... why?

As for sanctuary cities, they should be cut off from all federal funds of any kind immediately. And states cut off that don't cut them off as well.

Starve them.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #1274
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

As for sanctuary cities, they should be cut off from all federal funds of any kind immediately. And states cut off that don't cut them off as well.

Starve them.

We are actually on the same side on that. I think it's disgraceful. But how are you going to starve them when you need to pass laws to do it? Without the two sides coming to the table, this doesn't stop. Congress, the house and the president are all temporary. Eventually, the dems will get all of them back. Then the reps will, then it'll be split.

There needs to be a long term solution. And there won't be until both sides realize they aren't going to get everything they want.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #1275
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:

Starve them.

Because if republicans just push through a bill where only they win it will just be overturned next time the democrats run it, which will happen again as much as you probably don't want to believe it. Politics are cyclical and if the country gets screwed up again like it did under Bush, which is a pretty decent chance imho then the populous will vote the other way.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #1276
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The conversation around Rep. Price is quickly changing from, will he be confirmed, to, will he stay out of jail.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #1277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eventually, the dems will get all of them back. Then the reps will, then it'll be split.

That would seem to make it even more critical to do as much, as thoroughly, as possible.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #1278
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Trump Inauguration: D.C. braced for 900,000 Protesters

I wonder how many of them voted

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #1279
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So the nominee for Sec. of Education says that a reason guns might be needed at a school would be to protect the students from grizzly bears.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #1280
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Yes, we would. We did. We do.

The other counterpoint here is that as great as 700 people keeping their jobs is the viability of Ford is going to have a much bigger effect on Americans in a huge number of ways. I hope that Ford and other companies are able to operate with duties to stakeholders (including pensioners and retirees) in mind rather than only focusing on jobs. In a perfect world those two are aligned and you can do both, but the world is far from perfect.

Not sure if this is pay walled or not, but this is the dilemma I was talking about above.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-vs...73054?mod=e2tw
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #1281
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So the nominee for Sec. of Education says that a reason guns might be needed at a school would be to protect the students from grizzly bears.

A deer crashed through a window a few years ago in a classroom where I teach. I often think, what if that had been a grizzly bear?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #1282
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is there any doubt that there's nothing on that paper?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #1283
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think he probably drew a pair of tits.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #1284
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

hahaha. I cant wait! Its going to be fantastic, tremendous pair of tits. Best tits ever.

Just look at that guy! So serious! Donald down to business! Exciting! He will definitely build a wall, give healthcare to everyone, jail Clinton, make minorities and women absolutely love him, keep all jobs in America, revamp the tax code, shutdown SNL and Vanity Fair, replace NATO with something so much better, tell Putin to kiss his ass, move Isreal's cities, personally rebuild the midwest, not grab anymore pussies, and make the Chiefs win the next 4 Super Bowls! Going to be a great prez, boys!

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-18-2017 at 04:41 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #1285
kingfc22
Head Coach

Over/under on "great", "tremendous", and the word "many". Vegas has to have a prop bet for this right?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #1286
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hoping he comes up with some real gems when he randomly jumps off into tangents mid-sentence, like just about the entire The Times interview, but one of my personal faves (re: Brexit and the future of the EU):

Quote:
Personally, I don’t think it matters much for the United States. I never thought it mattered. Look, the EU was formed, partially, to beat the United States on trade, OK? So, I don’t really care whether it’s separate or together, to me it doesn’t matter. I can see this — I own a big property in Ireland, magnificent property called Doonbeg, what happened is I went for an approval to do this massive, beautiful expansion — that was when I was a developer, now I couldn’t care less about it — but I learnt a lot because I got the approvals very quickly from Ireland and then Ireland and my people went to the EU to get the approval — it was going to take years — that was a very bad thing for Ireland.

Last edited by Groundhog : 01-18-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #1287
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
A deer crashed through a window a few years ago in a classroom where I teach. I often think, what if that had been a grizzly bear?

Or what about Russian paratroopers???

(Sorry, North Koreans.)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #1288
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Is that a sharpie?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #1289
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And it turns out the desk is the receptionist's desk for Mar-a-Lago.

Everything's a con.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #1290
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

I thought it was normal to hold up the pad of paper with your left hand while you write.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #1291
Easy Mac

Quote:
And it turns out the desk is the receptionist's desk for Mar-a-Lago.

Everything's a con.

To be fair,

His desk in his office there is surrounded by actual naked women dipped in bronze, so I mean he had to go with something a little less ostentatious.

Also, my wife told me that she was asked by one of her patients if they were closing the office (physical therapy) on Friday. She asked why and he said, "for the inaguration, its historical." She informed him that they would be open and that it would probably just be on the TV.

I told her she should be glad I wasn't there, because I would have responded, "you're right, it has been a long time since an old white guy was president. My 7 year old was shocked to learn a white guy could be president."

Last edited by Easy Mac : 01-19-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #1292
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'll go on the record here. Hopefully, we'll have a great four/eight-year run and y'all can come back and point at this and laugh at me for being so stupid.

But I don't think that we'll have a great four/eight-year run. I think that the GOP with which I grew up is gone. I think that the party is so driven by identity politics and by being against liberalism that it lacks the capacity to govern well.

I think that the GOP works on paper the same way communism works on paper. And they both fail in reality. The GOP presidential debates involved discussions of penis size. That's not an aberration. That's the natural and obvious result of a party that cares more about sound-bite campaigning than governing. The GOP Congress is rubberstamping an executive branch filled with conflicts-of-interest, nepotism, and connections to hostile foreign governments. Again, this isn't a bug. It's a feature of a party that, as Jon correctly puts it, has decided that absolutely nothing matters other than beating politicians with D next to their name.

And I think that side-show politics, conflicts-of-interest, and subservience to foreign strongmen are a poor way to govern a country. I think that the government is complex; that society is complex; and that the issues we face are difficult and subtle. And I think that the GOP model of governance is fundamentally broken. I think that they will do poorly running the country.

Accordingly, I predict that private sector job growth, GDP growth, and the S&P 500 will all do worse over the next four years than they did (per year) over the last eight. (I also think that we'll regress on social issues, but that's harder to measure with metrics).

I hope to be wrong. I hope we are on the dawn of an unprecedented boom-time. I put this out here now in part so that if I am wrong, I can't go back and pretend that I knew it would all be OK. So I can challenge myself and change my beliefs. And so you can make fun of me for it.

Let the great experiment begin.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #1293
Kodos
Resident Alien

We are at the dawn of the actual Worst. President. Ever.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #1294
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I just see no way this can go ok.
It will either be YUGE or a Colossal flop. Thats probably hyperbole, but thats how I feel.

That aid my wife and 13 year old daughter left this AM for a school field trip to attend the inauguration. Yes we were Trump supporters (or really ABH) butt his trip was booked and paid for in September. They were going to be there either way. I'd be lieing if I told you I didnt have a twinge of trepidation telling them goodbye this morning hoping nothing stupid happens. I certainly didn't express that, as they are both carefree as a bird and I didnt want to ruin their trip.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #1295
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'm hopeful that it's only as bad as Warren G Harding and no more.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #1296
Izulde
Head Coach

Trump team prepares dramatic cuts | TheHill

Proposed budget cuts. Hatchet job to the environment and the arts. I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything else, but it's still depressing. Sounds like the moderate elephants will fight back, however, and any donkey who votes for this is a jackass in the most negative connotation possible.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #1297
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be privatized

Private, public broadcasting. Of course!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #1298
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And remember that even with these cuts the GOP voted for a resolution authorizing over nine trillion added to the deficit during the next decade.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #1299
Easy Mac

I keep seeing Democrats hedging about various appointments, proposed laws, anything else with, "Well, there could be 1 or 2 Republicans who could go against Tillerson, DeVoss, Price... they seem concerned..." In what world do these people live? When have these people shown a spine to actually do what they might think as right, as opposed to what is going to keep them in office? I saw where people think Rubio might go against Tillerson because he really grilled him on Russia. There is less than a zero percent chance Rubio would do this. He won re-election by 7%. It would be political suicide to go against Trump at any point in the next 4-8 years.

Remember when Trump said he could murder someone in the street and still have support? He's completely right. He knows the media somehow has less of an attention span than he does. He can get away with anything because the media is too lazy/scared to actually put forth the effort to do anything about it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #1300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Remember when Trump said he could murder someone in the street and still have support? He's completely right. He knows the media somehow has less of an attention span than he does. He can get away with anything because the media is too lazy/scared to actually put forth the effort to do anything about it.

Maybe you're overlooking the obvious: he can do it because a whole lot of his supporters are likely to be on board with removing his target from the list of oxygen consumers.

It isn't that we don't know EM, it's that he's probably doing what we'd do ourselves given the same opportunity.