Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #13201
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Callie was presenting pretty much fine prior to diagnosis. That always seems to be our luck, go to the vet for something routine or minor and get hammered with some awful diagnosis out of the blue.

fwiw, I didn't mean to jump straight to chemo quite so abruptly (was overly stream of consciousness for me to hit that topic immediately).

I really just wanted to make the point that it can actually be legitimately productive & helpful, that there really is a good quality of life possible during & after. Remission does happen, although with cats it's sadly rarely (almost never?) permanent.

The expense is a really tough call to make (IIRC, about $3000 for just the chemo course, plus the visits, tests, etc.) In our case however it was no question, this was the cat that stayed within arms reach of my wife at pretty much all times as she recovered from her own cancer surgery. She was simply too loyal & loving for my wife to do anything other than try to repay that as best we could.

Our dog just went to the vet and they *always* seem to find something. Instead of a simple boarding and checking her ears (chronic infection), they found a polyp that needs to be taken out in order to treat the infection. And while she's under, she should have her teeth cleaned. And there's a mass that can be removed.

Of course, then they want to check out the mass...which is another $200 (on top of $800 already). I just called back and asked - to what end? If we find out that the mass is cancerous, what are we going to do with that info? This is a dog who we've had for about three years and was a rescue; at the time we adopted, they figured her for 10 or 11 years old. They figured she had some sort of neurological issues and likely had some other trauma to her hips/legs (she doesn't get around all that well). Oh, and she's more or less blind. So what, we're going to aggressively treat a cancer on a 13yo dog who is half-blind, half-deaf, and largely immobile?

I mean, we want her to be comfortable - hence the operation on the ear, and even the teeth. But we're not going to go to great lengths on extending what has been a decently long but pretty hard life.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-24-2014 at 04:04 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #13202
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
This is a dog who we've had for about three years and was a rescue; at the time we adopted, they figured her for 10 or 11 years old. They figured she had some sort of neurological issues and likely had some other trauma to her hips/legs (she doesn't get around all that well). Oh, and she's more or less blind. So what, we're going to aggressively treat a cancer on a 13yo dog who is half-blind, half-deaf, and largely immobile?

I mean, we want her to be comfortable - hence the operation on the ear, and even the teeth. But we're not going to go to great lengths on extending what has been a decently long but pretty hard life.

If you're awesome enough to adopt an older dog and give her a few great gravy against-the-odds years, it's more than reasonable not to empty the back account to keep her plugging along. Like you said, every dog that age is going to have medical issues. And sometimes an older dog in the right environment can surprise you and do quite well for a while even without dramatic medical intervention for those issues.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #13203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you don't think that kid creepily pointing to his package in BTTF3 isn't a solid easter egg, I don't know what to tell you.

Creepy Kid from Back To The Future 3 points to his flux capacitor - YouTube

I had not seen that before and now I can't unsee it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #13204
Logan
Head Coach

Looking more like a Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) diagnosis for our cat, which is somehow even worse than cancer, as there is no treatment.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #13205
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I had not seen that before and now I can't unsee it

SI

What a little weirdo.

I did notice the Lone Pine thing before though. I thought it wasn't really hidden that much.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #13206
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Looking more like a Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) diagnosis for our cat, which is somehow even worse than cancer, as there is no treatment.

Good luck to the little guy, fingers crossed the final diagnosis is better.

We had the same worry with one of our guys, weight-loss, "loose stool" and an increase in barfing so the vet was thinking lymphoma. He's an old guy, almost 17, so we'd already made the decision not to go for chemotherapy. Didnt seem fair to the old guy to put him through that for an extra year or so, especially since he's already on twice-daily medication for heart problems.

For us the final diagnosis turned out ok, no lymphoma or anything worse, just a form of IBS affecting his digestion. He now gets pumpkin mixed into his meals for the roughage, and a nightly peptide pill and he's got his appetite back.

He can still destroy the cat box though, the sounds and smells are amazing.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #13207
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

ugh, I'm sorry to hear that Logan
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #13208
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks guys. What's extra sad is that if it is FIP, it could be as little as a couple months between diagnosis and when he goes. And this is something that's very possible he's already had for a couple months and we just didn't realize.

Last edited by Logan : 06-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #13209
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sorry to hear Logan
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #13210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Logan, I wish I had the words
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #13211
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sorry to hear that. It's never easy dealing with things that are so close to our hearts.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #13212
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. So sorry to hear this, Logan. Hate seeing stuff like this happen.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #13213
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Feel for you Logan. We had to put down our cat, Alex, at age 14 just last week. His mouth got swollen up in a matter of days and it was an abscess. But after a week it was revealed behind the abscess was cancer. He was a huge, six-toed cat and though we tried to fight the cancer, where it was at just effected his eating and he was losing weight hand over fist. I found him on the side of the road as a kitten just after buying my first house. He let my oldest son use him as a pillow when my son was younger. Great cat and a huge loss to our family. I really feel for you. Animals become such a part of a family.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #13214
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks guys. What's been really tough is thinking of how he's still really a baby and we've gotten such a short amount of time with him, and how we had thought of him and his brother as being the beginning of the family we were building. Still will of course, he'll just need to live on through pictures and stories.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #13215
cuervo72
Head Coach

Aw, man. Sorry Logan.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #13216
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, I hate news like that, Logan. I've got to take my cat to the vet for his normal checkup and I'm always afraid, as he gets older, what they'll find. I'm not sure why, but I get more choked up reading about pets than children sometimes.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #13217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Logan, I'm going to put this out here fwiw. I'm loathe to even mention it but at the same time I don't know how common/uncommon knowledge such things are so I'm doing this publicly in case it might be worth something to some other FOFC'er down the road.

The first time I ever heard of pet cremation & permanent memorial "rocks" I was a little weirded out by it, just to be honest. Seemed a bit too new age-y or something to this old backwoods boy.

We were truly blessed to have an experienced funeral directior (for humans) handle the remains of the first one we lost while here (he'd gone into the pet area after marrying the widow of a long-time veternarian). The remains of two of our three are not more than 10 feet away from me right now, which is about the distance both of them stayed when they were still with us. The third rests safely on the dresser in the bedroom, her favorite room in this house. And that's comforting to our whole family.

For those who face that situation someday the decision of whether it's right for you is certainly your own to make, I simply felt like it was worth mentioning as an option for those who might be as unaware of it as I was.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-25-2014 at 07:59 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #13218
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks Jon (and the rest of you guys, again).

Last edited by Logan : 06-26-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #13219
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure how I really feel legal issue wise about the topless "free the nipple" protests that have been happening lately. But if they want to keep this issue at the forefront for a long long long while I won't complain.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #13220
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm not sure how I really feel legal issue wise about the topless "free the nipple" protests that have been happening lately. But if they want to keep this issue at the forefront for a long long long while I won't complain.

like lesbians, yoga pants and open relationships, the way I picture it in my head is much better than the way it actually looks in real life.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #13221
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Comfort Foods of Every State in America - Thrillist
Old 07-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #13222
cuervo72
Head Coach

Brian Windhorst looks like he should be related to Art Donovan.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #13223
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

He looks like Jonah Hill at his original weight but with his new hair.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #13224
clemsonfan
High School JV

This person bought Guy Fieri's domain and posted this parody menu.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #13225
Bobble
College Prospect

If Erik Bedard has a fan club, they should be called the Bedard-a-tards.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #13226
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Watch: André 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in trailer for All Is By My Side | Consequence of Sound

Not seeing the amazing performance by Andre 3000 in the trailer, but it might be worth a spin on Netflix.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #13227
Suicane75
Coordinator

A good broom is a severely under appreciated thing.

It occurs to me over the past few days that although they are pests, things like spiders, crickets, ants & bees can be dealt with rather easily. Flies though, that's a whole different game of wax.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #13228
molson
General Manager

My mother had some kind of problem with her Yahoo email account, she called customer support, and they tried to sell her a $299 premiere account/business listing. Fortunately she didn't buy it. I mean, seriously Yahoo? I told my mother that any of her 4 kids can offer fine internet customer support and that she just needs to call us.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #13229
Kodos
Resident Alien

"Game of wax"?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #13230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The older I get (or the longer I've been doing it) the less comfortable I am with the shift between slow/frantic pace of my work responsibilities.

It's either next-to-nothing or wide open, gets on my nerves a bit now whereas it used to not really bother me.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #13231
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
"Game of wax"?

Ball of cards, whatever.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #13232
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I love it when you get some wild random thought and Google it and find answers...

Apparently Racoons can make love to cats.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #13233
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I love it when you get some wild random thought and Google it and find answers...

My wife (after we stopped laughing): "Oh, internet, is there anything you can't tell us?"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #13234
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I dislike Windhorst a ton but apparently he has some serious medical condition
Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #13235
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Rule 34, man. It's an internet truth.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #13236
Logan
Head Coach

I found this way too captivating. Not sure if non-city people would agree.

A Day in the Life

Story behind it: Visualizing a Day in the Life of a New York City Cab | FiveThirtyEight
Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #13237
korme
Go Reds

$583.50 in fares and $62.70 in tips seems pretty fucking shitty. I usually drop a $5 at minimum, does not look at that prosperous.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #13238
korme
Go Reds

Apparently I have posted over at OOTPDev 38 times and I registered in 2006. If only fofc could be so lucky.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #13239
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Might have a strong candidate for bonehead move of the year.

On Sunday, I smoked a couple of racks of ribs. I had quite a bit of meat left over from trimming the ribs before putting them on the smoker, so I decided to put the trimmings in a ziploc bag and freeze it to use later to grind with some other meats.

Flash forward to last night. Something smelled a bit off in one part of my kitchen, but it wasn't too strong, and I didn't find anything. Then today the odor was much worse. I looked around, and opened the drawer where I keep my ziploc bags. Turns out I never put the bag with the pork trimmings in the freezer. They were sitting there, sealed up in the bag, incredibly disgusting looking, and even worse smelling. I used the entire arsenal of kitchen cleaning products. Thank god garbage pickup is tomorrow.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #13240
Critch
lolzcat

A couple of weeks ago I was on another board (sorry, I was weak, it meant nothing to me) and one of the threads was "If you combined the last two games you played, what would the new game be like?"

My two games were Banished and Football Manager making a game where you city build then manage their sports team. I'd play that game lots and lots and lots.

Banished + Kerbal Space Program is also intriguing.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #13241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was on another board (sorry, I was weak, it meant nothing to me) and one of the threads was "If you combined the last two games you played, what would the new game be like?"

My two games were Banished and Football Manager making a game where you city build then manage their sports team. I'd play that game lots and lots and lots.

Heh. I'd get Don't Starve and FM 14.

I guess a plane load of soccer players crashed in some remote wilderness and one heavily concussed survivor tries to survive by himself.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #13242
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The Wolf Among Us and FM14. I am guessing those fables would have some extreme ratings. Not to mention in both games I out in lots of thinking about how I'm going to talk to people.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #13243
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Magic 2015 and FTL. I haven't the foggiest how that would work but it probably wouldn't be pretty
Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #13244
Izulde
Head Coach

Final FantasyXIV: A Realm Reborn and I forget which version of DDS: Pro Basketball.

A couple different ways to go with this really - my favorite would be a basketball text sim where you have Moogle point guards and big ass Primals (or Espers as I still call them) as centers.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 07-17-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #13245
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
$583.50 in fares and $62.70 in tips seems pretty fucking shitty. I usually drop a $5 at minimum, does not look at that prosperous.

It's only recording credit card tips since those go through the same system.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #13246
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So I was driving behind a truck hauling rocks today and noticed the sign we have all probably seen a million times... STAY BACK 300 feet, not responsible for damages. It got me thinking if this is a private company how the hell do they get away with that? Can I just put a sign on my car that says not responsible for damages if I cause a wreck? Does this actually stand up in court or is it just a way to get you not tailgate them?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #13247
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Hell no it wont hold up.
But it probably discourages a lot of people from trying to sue.

Ive always wanted to contest whether I could read the sign from 300 feet.

Or let one of those pass me on a multi lane and say they forced me to invade the 300' halo.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #13248
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Wolfenstein and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for me. Would still be fighting Nazis but instead of an Army Ranger shooting them you'd be a cyborg cutting them into hundreds of pieces with a sword.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #13249
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Watching ESPN and they bring in a Bleacher Report analyst? Really? Of course, the "analyst" says nothing that hasn't been said before.
What's next ESPN, guest appearances from the D celebrities from TruTV?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #13250
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Insane people can publish websites too!

hxxp://www.bombshell201x.com/

I mean, just wow.