Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #1301
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
"What are Radii?" was the question in a Daily Double on a Jeopardy episode I watched last night.

Oustanding! Did you know it?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #1302
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Oustanding! Did you know it?

Dude, I'm a math major. The category was "Ends with the Same 2 Vowels" and the clue was "Multiple straight lines extending from the center of a circle to the circumference"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #1303
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Going out of your way to point out the story when no one else has bothered yet, and pulling a classic MBBF and saying "there's more to the story than you know but I won't talk about it and don't have any links for you but everyone but me and my insider source that I also can't or won't talk about are wrong" (has this *ever* been met with anything but eye-rolling and disdain here at FOFC? Its the single worst card one can play w/ regard to college sports on this forum)... yeah, I am struggling to imagine a worse way for the story to hit the forum from your perspective. Maybe post a naked chick in the same post so you get boxed and can't defend from the petrino bashing you're begging for would be worse. Well done

I'm not saying there is more to the story than you know and that I don't have links for you (I can give all the links you want on this). This isn't inside sources stuff. This is just demonstrably bad reporting.

You are probably right about the rest of it, but I am legitimately surprised and that was all I was saying.

It's one of those sensationalist things that makes you go "wow that's terrible, how could they do such a thing?!" until you look around and find the actual story which doesn't quite match what the sensationalist story is. Key parts left out, etc. You know how it is. Basically, I'm just expressing my dismay at it here, rather than draw attention to it in a different thread or start a new one. I kind of feel like this is a venting thread, so that's what I'm doing here.

Hope that explains it better.
The part about not being able to back it up is quite wrong, though. There is no inside source, here. It's quite public. It's just that the national media suck at getting it right.

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-18-2010 at 08:45 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #1304
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Only if something like this happens in Philly, then it gets it's own thread.
Well, not it's own thread, but piggy-backed onto another thread.

I saw the story and...meh, nothing big. She wore the hat, she'll have you believe she had no idea, she got fired, she'll become a celebrity alongside Mr flight attendant guy, and they'll appear together on Celebrity Apprentice in 3 years.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #1305
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think my daughter either deeply bruised or fractured/broke something in my left leg last week while warming up to pitch. I'm left-handed, so when she's working on inside pitches to a RH hitter, I have to reach across my body to catch. And last Tuesday, she threw a fastball that skipped off the dirt and hit me squarely on the inside lower leg, right above the ankle. It immediately swelled up like someone put an egg under my skin, but I put it up and iced it that night and the swelling went down. It still hurt for several days, but the swelling seemed to go away. This weekend, we had a tournament and I spent 10+ hours each day standing/walking during and between games and of course catching her some more. Plus, I took another ball off the same shin/ankle while warming her up, but it was just a glancing shot it didn't really hurt much.

Anyway, Monday I get home from work and after changing, I realize that ankle's about twice the normal size and it hurts bad. I've iced it/kept it up and taken advil to calm the swelling, but it still hurts and a portion of the heel is now black and blue (where the blood cells laid to rest after dying, I assume). I should also add that I broke this same ankle 9 years ago.

So yeah, I'm thinking I have to go to the doctor now. I'll give it until tomorrow morning to see if it's getting better, but I can't freaking believe I'm going to have to go to the doctor for this.

So...should I be proud or embarrassed that my daughter throws hard enough to fuck my leg up?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #1306
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i vote "proud"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #1307
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So...should I be proud or embarrassed that my daughter throws hard enough to fuck my leg up?

Proud of your daughter.

Embarrassed that your catching skills aren't better.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #1308
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, I expected that. The deal is, though, that I'm sitting on a bucket. I can't crouch for more than 10 pitches without my knees killing me. So sitting on a bucket and having to reach down and across your body to catch a ball in the dirt is not easy. I make those catches when I'm crouching/kneeling. That leg just sits there out in the open when I'm on the bucket, though.

I'm going to find one of those batter's ankle/shin guards they wear at the plate.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #1309
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damn - i'm up over 25,000 posts now!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #1310
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Alan T is our top poster now? I wouldn't have guessed that with 100 guesses.

Looks like the bulk of his posts come in the FOOL/FOOL-X forums, so that's how he's slipped under the radar.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-18-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #1311
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i read a disturbing amount of the crap posted on this forum... and never say anything! weird.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #1312
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
says 36K....

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #1313
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Alan T is our top poster now? I wouldn't have guessed that with 100 guesses.
im around 130

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #1314
JediKooter
Coordinator

It's very hot in my office. Why? It's San Francisco for crying out loud. It's barely 60 degrees outside, yet, when I walk inside, it feels like I'm in Phoenix at noon during the middle of summer. I can only take off a limited amount of clothing before HR will have to get involved.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #1315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait until the kids go back to school.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #1316
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
says 36K....

really? i see 25,292 on my screen...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #1317
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Stupid people suck.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #1318
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Stupid people suck.

That is why I like 11:30. The annoying waste of space next to me takes his hour and a half lunch and then I take mine so, I have a nice 2 1/2 hour break from him.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #1319
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
It's very hot in my office. Why? It's San Francisco for crying out loud. It's barely 60 degrees outside, yet, when I walk inside, it feels like I'm in Phoenix at noon during the middle of summer. I can only take off a limited amount of clothing before HR will have to get involved.
my work is the exact opposite... its 64 in my office now... and thats after 6 hours of max space heater output... one of my coworkers asked me why i was wearing a sweater, as it was 100 outside.... who cares what its like outside when its uber cold inside?

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #1320
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
my work is the exact opposite... its 64 in my office now... and thats after 6 hours of max space heater output... one of my coworkers asked me why i was wearing a sweater, as it was 100 outside.... who cares what its like outside when its uber cold inside?

I wish I could trade offices with you. I can layer if need be, but, I don't think people would like it too much if I was sitting here in my underwear because of how hot it is.

Oh and to tease me, I can hear the 'AC' from the ducts above me, but, oddly enough, when I put my hand up to feel that air...nothing. I think it's a sound track they have looped.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #1321
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That dude in the State Farm commercials freaks me out. I don't think he has any eyes.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #1322
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hahaha...

Substance of email I just received as a response - from the VP of Finance & Treasurer @ Lewis & Clark College (just to show he's not some little minion or whatever):

Please remove this email from your list. If I receive another unsolicited email from you without a way to opt-out, in violation of the CAN SPAM act, I will report you to the FTC.>>

Methinx someone has a bit too much free time on their hands. Really...it took longer to write that email back then it would take to press "delete" on all the emails he's ever gotten from us in the past.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #1323
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Hahaha...

Substance of email I just received as a response - from the VP of Finance & Treasurer @ Lewis & Clark College (just to show he's not some little minion or whatever):

Please remove this email from your list. If I receive another unsolicited email from you without a way to opt-out, in violation of the CAN SPAM act, I will report you to the FTC.>>

Methinx someone has a bit too much free time on their hands. Really...it took longer to write that email back then it would take to press "delete" on all the emails he's ever gotten from us in the past.

Why are you sending spam?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #1324
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

you should reply.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #1325
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

DT is a spammer?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #1326
DataKing
Pro Rookie

This "death by a thousand paper cuts" sh*t needs to stop. Just lop off my head and be done with it!
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #1327
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm not a spammer. It was a business email announcing a new investment strategy. We'd sent the guy emails before actually...apparently he just had a bug up his ass this time.

Nah - I won't reply. But since he was such an ass about it I might sign him up at his office to receive free condoms and tampons and crazy shit like that.

Seriously. I don't mind if someone emails me back and goes "Unsubscribe."

That's fine. That's what you should do. But don't go around threatening people with reporting them to the FTC...that's just being an ass. There's no need for that.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #1328
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Were the emails solicited?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #1329
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Were the emails solicited?

Nope.

Hey...I'm not saying he doesn't have the RIGHT to do that...I'm just saying that's being unnecessarily antagonistic. Especially for someone who should probably have better things to do with his time. And it's not like we bombard people with emails. This was a one-off email, the first one he'd gotten since like...Christmas. And he didn't have a problem with the Christmas email.

Not like some of the shit I get every week, again and again.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #1330
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Nope.

Hey...I'm not saying he doesn't have the RIGHT to do that...I'm just saying that's being unnecessarily antagonistic. Especially for someone who should probably have better things to do with his time.

Then he should be contacting the FTC, FCC, FBI, NSA, CIA, CDC, FDA, and POTUS. There are laws in place for a reason.

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #1331
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Maybe you could follow the rules about including an unsubscribe link in unsolicited bulk mail. He's well within his rights to report your company for it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #1332
DanGarion
Coordinator

I don't think you will find much sympathy now that we know you spam DT.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #1333
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Nope.

It's spam. You have no legs to stand on.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #1334
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Maybe you could follow the rules about including an unsubscribe link in unsolicited bulk mail. He's well within his rights to report your company for it.

Oh of course he is. I never denied that. Just saying he was being a bit of a prick about it is all.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #1335
MJ4H
Coordinator

I would be one, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #1336
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I don't think you will find much sympathy now that we know you spam DT.

LOL.

It's hardly spam in the sense you're thinking of it.

We have a database of 5000 or so people. Of those we've probably talked to the vast majority (3/4 of the ones with active info). Occasionally we'll add someone in to the database from a news article we see or something.

In some cases before we call them and establish a relationship they'll end up receiving an email - particularly if they're at some smaller place taht generally flies below our radar. And we're talking maybe once a year they'll get an email.

Not like I'm setting out to deliberately spam millions of people to sell widgets every day.

I also blame SalesForce for lack of an included CAN-SPAM solution. And the email did say to reply to unsubscribe.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #1337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

DT sells penis pumps.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #1338
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's spam in the sense I'm thinking.

The Spamhaus Project - The Definition of Spam
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #1339
DanGarion
Coordinator

I got an unsolicited text message over the weekend from a club promoter in my area. I told the idiot if he sent me another unsolicited message I would be contacting the proper authorities. The idiot has the audacity to just reply back that if I would text message back the word STOP that would remove me. Unsolicited spamming,mail, telemarketing, text messaging, etc, is pretty close to the lowest of the low in my opinion because you are wasting 99% of the people's time.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #1340
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unsolicited spamming,mail, telemarketing, text messaging, etc, is pretty close to the lowest of the low in my opinion because you are wasting 99% of the people's time.

Lowest of the low?

Really?

really???

I think more of my time in life is wasted by the person that takes 15 seconds to realize the light has gone from red to green and hit the gas rather than spammers..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #1341
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got an unsolicited text message over the weekend from a club promoter in my area. I told the idiot if he sent me another unsolicited message I would be contacting the proper authorities. The idiot has the audacity to just reply back that if I would text message back the word STOP that would remove me. Unsolicited spamming,mail, telemarketing, text messaging, etc, is pretty close to the lowest of the low in my opinion because you are wasting 99% of the people's time.

In the sense that you're thinking of, I agree.

That's not the sense I'm doing though.

I mean - I just had a nice email conversation with a woman at Intel. We've actually met her twice before and had her on our mailing list for two of our clients. She said "I get 150 emails a day...just take me off those mailing lists. If we need info we'll reach out to you."

Okay...no problem. Happy to do that. And I'll go the extra mile and make sure your email address is totally hidden in our system from all future mailing lists.

Not like I'm spamming a list of complete strangers everyday.

We have opt-in mailing lists for our clients for quarterly information. Every so often we'll send out an email to our entire database announcing a new client relaionship to essentially see if anyone wants to opt-in to that mailing list, based on the fact that we've spoken/met/emailed with the vast majority of people in our database.

This was one of those emails to our entire database.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #1342
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Lowest of the low?

Really?

really???

I think more of my time in life is wasted by the person that takes 15 seconds to realize the light has gone from red to green and hit the gas rather than spammers..

Like I said close to.

I don't mind people taking a couple seconds before they hit the gas, since that's something taught in defensive driving classes. Honestly if people learned how to drive correctly we'd have a lot less congestion. But that's a topic for another day.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #1343
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
In the sense that you're thinking of, I agree.

That's not the sense I'm doing though.

You are asking them for money? I had this awesome plan a couple years back, I was going to send letters to all the rich people of America asking them for some money and see if any of them sent me any. I didn't end up doing it.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #1344
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are asking them for money? I had this awesome plan a couple years back, I was going to send letters to all the rich people of America asking them for some money and see if any of them sent me any. I didn't end up doing it.

Hahah...nice plan!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #1345
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #1346
molson
General Manager

So apparently a bull did very well in a Spanish bullfight yesterday. Part of me wishes he took out the whole crowd.

I mean, those bullfight fans must be so confused about why we locked up Michael Vick here. What if Vick's dogfights replaced one of the dogs with a man armed with a sword? Then we'd have something apparently worthy of being a national sport of some type.

Last edited by molson : 08-19-2010 at 12:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #1347
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So apparently a bull did very well in a Spanish bullfight yesterday. Part of me wishes he took out the whole crowd.

Where is the like option.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #1348
DanGarion
Coordinator

If we can't stand up for those whose beliefs differ from ours when it comes to the constitution, how can we expect the constitution to protect our beliefs?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #1349
Tigercat
College Starter

Turned 30 yesterday. Not a big deal, but weird seeing that 3 in front of my age and not yet feeling "settled." Not that I ever felt the need to live up to anyone else's expectations, but my fairly serious minded 20 year old self would be surprised that I am not settled yet.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #1350
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Turned 30 yesterday. Not a big deal, but weird seeing that 3 in front of my age and not yet feeling "settled." Not that I ever felt the need to live up to anyone else's expectations, but my fairly serious minded 20 year old self would be surprised that I am not settled yet.

Just remember, the first time someone calls you a "thirtysomething" your reply should be "no, I'm a thirtynothing," at least until your next birthday.
Allegiances:
Awards: