Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Bobby Jindal drops out.

One less "anchor baby" to worry about.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #1352
molson
General Manager

I wonder if the debate B-team squad will be cleaned out by the next debate in mid-December.

Last edited by molson : 11-17-2015 at 05:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #1353
Dutch
"Dutch"

Ahhh. The GOP...where everybody is allowed to run for Prez....and does! Glad to see some of the non-players dropping off though.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #1354
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I doubt he's an advisor for much longer!

Quote:
“Nobody has been able to sit down with him and have him get one iota of intelligent information about the Middle East,” Duane R. Clarridge, a top adviser to Mr. Carson on terrorism and national security, said in an interview
Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #1355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

The only other polling we have since the last debate is from Florida and Georgia - snap polls from local media. These suggest Carson has not been hurt.

That data on Carson would match my heavily Georgia-oriented social media streams anecdotal experience. I don't have any feeling that he's slipped more than 1-2 points in recent weeks, certainly not enough to fall to fifth or anything of that sort. I think it's possible that the establishment guys cannibalize each other in Georgia unless more drop out though.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #1356
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why Donald Trump Should Run For King Of Westeros - Dorkly Post
Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #1357
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ben Carson Can't Place New England On A Map (PHOTO)

I know it's just a hapless staffer blunder, but I'm starting to think that the Carson problem is just the looming sense of everyone except the supporters he already has basically responding "seriously?" when informed that their conversation partner is supporting Carson.

I know you're not pursuing the left-leaning with this campaign, but you do have to pursue the middle. I confess, though, I have been wrong so far about how long the surge could last... this process is playing out so oddly. It's great fun.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #1358
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Ben Carson Can't Place New England On A Map (PHOTO)

I know it's just a hapless staffer blunder, but I'm starting to think that the Carson problem is just the looming sense of everyone except the supporters he already has basically responding "seriously?" when informed that their conversation partner is supporting Carson.

I know you're not pursuing the left-leaning with this campaign, but you do have to pursue the middle. I confess, though, I have been wrong so far about how long the surge could last... this process is playing out so oddly. It's great fun.

How do you even have a map like that? Do people generate their own maps?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #1359
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The speculation was some graphic designer shifted the map, but for some reason, part of NE wasn't shifted along with the rest of it.

Well... and then no one caught it.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-18-2015 at 01:28 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #1360
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

wondering if anyone has gone back and re-taken the isidewith.com survey, and how their results have changed in the few months since it was originally posted in this thread. i took it again, this time spending more effort on each question, and was surprised at the changes in matching candidates. (i am now clearly aligned with dems, getting

clinton 82%
sanders 78%
paul 65%

I the makers of that website wanted, they could have an influence on some voters by skewing the results in a particular direction...
Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #1361
Kodos
Resident Alien

It looks like they wiped out where I live. Bastards!
Old 11-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #1362
revrew
Team Chaplain

Put this one up in "the things I never thought I would say at work (or anywhere for that matter)": "Good news! The Secret Service approved the live turkey!"

Yeah, it's been an interesting day in Iowa ...
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #1363
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
wondering if anyone has gone back and re-taken the isidewith.com survey, and how their results have changed in the few months since it was originally posted in this thread. i took it again, this time spending more effort on each question, and was surprised at the changes in matching candidates. (i am now clearly aligned with dems, getting

clinton 82%
sanders 78%
paul 65%

I the makers of that website wanted, they could have an influence on some voters by skewing the results in a particular direction...

The last time I took it Paul and Sanders were high on my list. I took it again and Paul is at the top and Sanders has plummeted.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #1364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of isidewith, interesting little analysis tool they've added since I last looked (still in beta).

"Your Political Themes"

Security vs Privacy
You side extremely towards “Security”, meaning you very strongly believe the government should do everything within its power to ensure the security of its citizens. This theme is most important to you.

There are like 10-12 of those, among the more interesting (and perhaps revealing about the questions they use for each) are me being exactly Centrist (0% lean) on centralization vs de-centralization and me being scored as moderately secular rather than religious (I can only guess that they weight abortion far too heavily)
Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #1365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's definitely an established tier of candidates for me from isidewith

Rubio 93, Cruz 91, Santorum 91, Trump 90, Carson 90 (which is a higher score than he had previously IIRC)

Fiornia & Bush 83, Huck 79, Paul 76
Graham 74, Kasich 69, Christie 64
Clinton 17, Webb 16
O'Malley 6, Sanders 3
Old 11-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #1366
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I just took it, and no surprise Rubio and Cruz were tied for me at 93%. EDIT: It has me pegged as a right-wing libertarian which is how I describe myself. I have to admit, this nailed me fairly well.

Last edited by Warhammer : 11-18-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #1367
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think the other interesting thing about the isidewith results are that they sort of help quantify where my lines are drawn. There really isn't anybody other than Huckabee that scored below 90 that I'd be willing to vote for in November.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #1368
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

There's a narrative out there that Trump has gained since the Paris attack. That seems false. His numbers haven't changed in the last couple of weeks. That's understandable, because his position (shoot first, ask questions later) is one likely echoed by his supporters.

The question with Trump is whether he's close to his ceiling. When others drop out of the race, who will they support? And the "second choice" data seems to indicate Trump is close to his ceiling.

What has happened, however, is that Carson is in decline. So Trump has a lead again. Cruz is starting to pick up the right-wing votes.

Fiorina, too, has declined quite a bit. She made a name for herself with her ability to control debates with a few sound bytes. They sound good. But the last two debates have shown that there isn't much else there.

This is starting to look a little like "Trump versus the establishment."

Last edited by Solecismic : 11-19-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #1369
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't a great deal of the Carson/Trump support interchangeable? I thought polling was backing that up. Cruz could really survive this thing a long time, waiting for the far right guys to implode.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #1370
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think Cruz winning the nomination might be as entertaining as if Trump did.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #1371
nol
Banned

I don't think the 1944 presidential campaign was this focused on Nazis.

Last edited by nol : 11-19-2015 at 10:28 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #1372
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm beginning to believe the conspiracy theories that Trump was a plant by the Clintons to give Hilary an easy general election win.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #1373
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I know people are angry with Washington, but this is just nuts.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #1374
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm beginning to believe the conspiracy theories that Trump was a plant by the Clintons to give Hilary an easy general election win.

Trump has spent years courting Hillary and other Dems - POLITICO

It could be the greatest con job of all time.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #1375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
There's a narrative out there that Trump has gained since the Paris attack. That seems false. His numbers haven't changed in the last couple of weeks.

Haven't there only been two national polls released since the Paris attacks?

Bloomberg, which showed Trump with slight favorable growth (51 to 55) among Republicans. And showed him as first choice +4 (21 to 25) and 2nd choice +10 (from N/A to 10).

PPP, which showed him flat but also with the biggest lead (+7 overall) of any of the polls.

edit to add: Are there polls you're referring to that RCP is ignoring?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-19-2015 at 11:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #1376
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Some recent Reuters poll had Trump +17 and at 42%

Last edited by stevew : 11-19-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #1377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Some recent Reuters poll had Trump +17 and at 42%

Yeah, this is probably the one you mean
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...Tmha3i47v2C.97

1/3rd of Republicans deemed Trump best suited to handle terrorism, Rubio was next at 17 percent.

More importantly perhaps Of the Republicans polled, 36 percent said they now have more confidence in Trump's ability to be president - the largest show of support in the primary field. Only 10 percent said they were less confident in his abilities following the attacks.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #1378
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Do we have a tinfoil hat emoticon? Because I really want to use it now.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #1379
miked
College Starter

It's almost comical and yet sad.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #1380
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

I've believed this for months.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #1381
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Whether or not Trump is serious, his supporters are still excited by the same neo-facism. The years of tolerating and encouraging the fringe are coming back to haunt the party. God help us if Trump actually wins.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #1382
PilotMan
Head Coach

If he does, he really needs Jessie Ventura as his running mate. Please! Oh Please!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #1383
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If he does, he really needs Jessie Ventura as his running mate. Please! Oh Please!

Judge Judy could be the Attorney General!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #1384
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Chief Justice Gary Busey
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #1385
digamma
Torchbearer

You think you saw the last of Omarosa on the Apprentice...

you thought wrong...

she's coming to Wasington in...

the Secretary of Defense.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #1386
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I don't think the 1944 presidential campaign was this focused on Nazis.

Regarding his comments about a database, I would not want a database on muslims only but I think a database that keeps tabs on foreigners/immigrants/refugees etc. is fine and the monitoring of them also.

Effectively, there already is a database on them already as they come into the country and stay for a visit/school etc. It's a matter of keeping it more current and paying more focus on those that we are concerned about e.g. instead of a database field for "faith", there is one for "country of origin"
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:18 AM   #1387
Edward64
Head Coach

Nevermind, Carson addressed it.

Ben Carson 2016 immigration stance: U.S. should have a database on all immigrants - POLITICO
Quote:
The United States should have a database on every immigrant who enters the country, Ben Carson said Friday, addressing comments from Donald Trump that he would not rule out creating a registry of Muslims to track for terrorist activity. At the same time, he called Trump's call for tracking and targeting Muslims specifically as something that would be "setting a pretty dangerous precedent."

"Well, I think we should have a database on everybody who comes into this country," the retired neurosurgeon told reporters at a media availability in Concord, New Hampshire, after filing for the state's Feb. 1 primary election. It was unclear whether Carson was referring to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, which has been a component of the Department of Homeland Security since its founding in 2003.
Story Continued Below

Pressed further, Carson said he hopes that "we already have a database on every citizen who is already here."
Old 11-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #1388
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Exactly how does this database work? Would you want weekly check-ins with a database officer? A national system that logs every credit card purchase? RFID implants?

Not only is the idea repellent for a free people, it's entirely unworkable.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #1389
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Exactly how does this database work? Would you want weekly check-ins with a database officer? A national system that logs every credit card purchase? RFID implants?

Rand Paul needs to be banging this drum.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #1390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Rand Paul needs to be banging this drum.

It's about time for him to throw up a hail Mary
Old 11-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #1391
Dutch
"Dutch"

Amazing Visual Showing Why Mass Immigration to U.S. Doesn't Fix Anything | Daily Wire
Old 11-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #1392
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Legal foreigners/immigrants are already tracked through the visa process, entering/exiting the country, employment etc. Note I'm not saying target a religious group.

Credit Card companies are already tracking every purchase.

I assume you are not saying the database/tracking is repellent but the purpose of the database/tracking is repellent? It certainly is not unworkable technically, what are you saying is unworkable?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #1393
Edward64
Head Coach

I think the title should be "Why Mass Immigration to U.S. doesn't fix worldwide poverty". Sure I agree with that.

Selected, smart immigration policies will help the US. The US should be making it much easier for well educated to stay in the US (after the appropriate vetting process etc). I know this is not "fair" but it helps the US if we retain this talent.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #1394
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think the title should be "Why Mass Immigration to U.S. doesn't fix worldwide poverty". Sure I agree with that.

Selected, smart immigration policies will help the US. The US should be making it much easier for well educated to stay in the US (after the appropriate vetting process etc). I know this is not "fair" but it helps the US if we retain this talent.

Yes. We could still be skimming the cream and brain draining other countries if we chose to.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #1395
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yes. We could still be skimming the cream and brain draining other countries if we chose to.

Yup, that's the idea.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #1396
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Legal foreigners/immigrants are already tracked through the visa process, entering/exiting the country, employment etc. Note I'm not saying target a religious group.

Credit Card companies are already tracking every purchase.

I assume you are not saying the database/tracking is repellent but the purpose of the database/tracking is repellent? It certainly is not unworkable technically, what are you saying is unworkable?

A database like that won't do anything to stop a terrorist attack, which is the only justifiable theoretical reason for such a database to exist. The only way a tracking database would be valuable for security purposes is to track people week to week or day to day or hour to hour. We do that for wiretaps for those individuals we're most concerned about, but we can't do that for millions of "foreigners." It would be either an incredible expansion of the security state or nothing more than security theatre, either explicitly contrary to our national values or unworkable.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #1397
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
You think you saw the last of Omarosa on the Apprentice...

you thought wrong...

she's coming to Wasington in...

the Secretary of Defense.

Omarosa would probably be a better SecDef than Rumsfeld.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #1398
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It'd probably work like tracking sex offenders
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #1399
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
It'd probably work like tracking sex offenders

Except for being for people who have done nothing wrong. It sets one hell of a dangerous precedent.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #1400
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Except for being for people who have done nothing wrong. It sets one hell of a dangerous precedent.

Dangerous is gonna happen either way. I'm not for it, but I will agree that not tracking refugees will lead to terror attacks and death...if not now, eventually. One good argument for being against it is saying that stopping terrorism is a fruitless endeavor.