Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #1401
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
First Look At NBA Jam's Retro Superstars

Just to cheer Anthony up a bit.

well, its a start. graphics look really nice.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #1402
SackAttack
Head Coach

And just to fuck with Anthony, since it's fun to do:

NBA Jam Confirmed For 360, PS3 (But There's A Nasty Catch)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #1403
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just don't get EA sometimes.

You can get the Wii version for $50 that still doesn't have online play confirmed. Or you can get the PS360 version that has online play (but not the Remix tour) for free, but you just have to buy a $60 game with it that you may or may not be interested in.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #1404
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Just when you think EA may have learned some lessons, they go out of their way to prove that their head is actually further up their ass than it was previously.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #1405
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just when you think EA may have learned some lessons, they go out of their way to prove that their head is actually further up their ass than it was previously.

Seriously. That's fucking stupid.

They're basically saying "Screw you" to people who don't have a Wii and trying to use them to prop up the sales of their shitty NBA game by giving them a crippled version of NBA Jam.

No thanks - even with the delays in patching, NBA 2k11 will be a farrrrr better game.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #1406
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Definitely buying NBA 2K11 (I love having classic players in the game). Definitely not buying Elite.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #1407
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Seriously. That's fucking stupid.

They're basically saying "Screw you" to people who don't have a Wii and trying to use them to prop up the sales of their shitty NBA game by giving them a crippled version of NBA Jam.

No thanks - even with the delays in patching, NBA 2k11 will be a farrrrr better game.

I still play College Hoops 2K8 more than any other basketball game. It's not perfect, but I still have a lot of fun with it and I don't have to buy it every year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #1408
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

How were the latest college hoops games?? Any of them any good?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #1409
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That sucks. I would have paid up to $30 for it on Xbox Live. But I'm a big fan of the 2K series NBA game so I guess no NBA Jam for me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #1410
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How were the latest college hoops games?? Any of them any good?
The ones by EA were pretty abysmal. College Hoops 2K series died with 2K8 as it was rumored that EA had a pseudo-exclusivity deal with the NCAA.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #1411
SackAttack
Head Coach

My full review will hopefully be up tomorrow morning, but early prognosis on Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - definite buy if you're planning to rock the multiplayer, maybe-buy if you're the solo type.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #1412
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

see, that's horrible.

to be honest i wish it was:

1. NBA Jam full version will be released with 2010 rosters.

2. buy NBA Elite, get a code to download historic rosters for NBA Jam.

now THAT'S how you do it. of course, you'd basically be asking people to buy the same game twice, but at least ppl content to play the newest NBA Jam can do so, and those who want original NBA Jam rosters have a way to do it (albeit at a premium). being able to play the 1993 verion with HD graphics is worth $60 to me. i'd get a LOT of gameplay out of it.

falling on deaf EA ears, i suppose. what a shame.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #1413
Anthony
Banned

Holy fucking shitballs! I just got a look at the announced classic teams in NBA 2k11 - 94-95 NY Knicks! Hollaaaaaaa. Holy shit this is huge. This game is now certified "definite buy" status for me. What seems odd is there's a lot of different versions of the Bulls in there, but I don't see any Celts (or even 94 Rockets which I'd love to play against/with for Olajuwon). Looking at the teams it seems its more of a "classic NBA playoff matchups), cuz they have 4 teams from 89-90 playoffs (Cavs are in there, I guess for the classic Jordan "The Shot" over Ehlo game). This is really sick.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #1414
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am confused. Which version(s) has the classic teams?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #1415
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Holy fucking shitballs! I just got a look at the announced classic teams in NBA 2k11 - 94-95 NY Knicks! Hollaaaaaaa. Holy shit this is huge. This game is now certified "definite buy" status for me. What seems odd is there's a lot of different versions of the Bulls in there, but I don't see any Celts (or even 94 Rockets which I'd love to play against/with for Olajuwon). Looking at the teams it seems its more of a "classic NBA playoff matchups), cuz they have 4 teams from 89-90 playoffs (Cavs are in there, I guess for the classic Jordan "The Shot" over Ehlo game). This is really sick.

I think they just have generic names though, right? I also wonder how much time is really being spent on these teams. How real will the players look? How close are the attributes?

I'm thinking they only spend a minimal amount of time on this aspect of the game.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #1416
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I think they just have generic names though, right? I also wonder how much time is really being spent on these teams. How real will the players look? How close are the attributes?

I'm thinking they only spend a minimal amount of time on this aspect of the game.

Could be the case, and if so then it does take a lot of pizzazz off the game.

But I'm thinking its easier to implement a lot of classic teams than actually make major changes to the game engine. Think about it - every year these game companies basically spiff up the graphics, add in a new move and call it "Total Control whatever" and primarily update rosters/players. The update rosters/players part probably takes up the most manpower. Adding classic teams is basically adding in 10 more teams with about 10-12 guys, so 120 players give or take isn't asking a lot. And further, you need special attention on the marquee players on those teams and then minimal attention for the bench players. No one would complain "OMG Greg Anthony from the 94 Knicks only has 72 3pt shooting, he should be at least 78!!!1!". I know ppl get up in arms about sneakers and jerseys, but ratings aren't always accurate. A guy is either good, great or horrible at a specific skill, at the end of the day that's all u need to know.

That, plus it defeats the purpose to have classic teams just to fill them with "player #33"'s and assign random stats.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #1417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Former Microsoft VP brings Halo to the Atari 2600 -- Engadget
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #1418
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The ones by EA were pretty abysmal. College Hoops 2K series died with 2K8 as it was rumored that EA had a pseudo-exclusivity deal with the NCAA.

IIRC EA's college hoops franchise is dead as well, meaning that there are zero college hoops titles to look forward to. Thank christ for FBCB.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #1419
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Wait?!? WTF. 94-95 Knicks but not Rockets. Stupid.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #1420
rjolley
College Starter

The focus of the historical teams is the great teams vs. Jordan's great teams, not just the great teams of that season. The 94-95 Knicks are included because that was the 55 point game from Jordan's return.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #1421
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That's kinda annoying.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #1422
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Is anyone planning on picking up Dead Rising 2? I thought the first was an underated game and this is supposed to have online co-op which is making it a must buy.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #1423
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is anyone planning on picking up Dead Rising 2? I thought the first was an underated game and this is supposed to have online co-op which is making it a must buy.
I love me some zombies, but Dead Rising annoyed me. While the opportunities for makeshift weapons was fantastic (beating down zombies with a giant fake cactus is one of my few good memories of the game), the gameplay itself and the inherent difficulty I found rather obnoxious. I'll probably wait to hear what people have to say about Dead Rising 2 before giving it a try myself.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #1424
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I've been splitting time between Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption.

Minecraft is kind of like a first person Dwarf Fortress. Currently in Alpha, still very playble. You can play the classic older version for free, or buy the in development alpha and get survival mode and multiplayer. The graphics are big pixel and old school. It's the gameplay that rocks.

Survival mode drops you in a randomly generated world with nothing and you just have to .. survive. Gather resources, craft items, mine resources and build whatever you want. Night time brings monsters.

While mining you tend to come across large underground caves to explore. If you enjoy sandbox games that let you build things, then you would probably enjoy Minecraft.

-----

I am only a few hours into Red Dead and loving it so far. I am getting my ass handed to me when I duel and still have not figured out the game mechanic for that. Any hints or tips? No spoilers please.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #1425
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I love me some zombies, but Dead Rising annoyed me. While the opportunities for makeshift weapons was fantastic (beating down zombies with a giant fake cactus is one of my few good memories of the game), the gameplay itself and the inherent difficulty I found rather obnoxious. I'll probably wait to hear what people have to say about Dead Rising 2 before giving it a try myself.
I agree. I'm hoping that they've had time to refine a lot of that stuff over the years. I love zombies.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #1426
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I haven't gotten too far into Red Dead yet...I wanted to beat COD:MW2 first. Which I just did the other day.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #1427
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
I am getting my ass handed to me when I duel and still have not figured out the game mechanic for that. Any hints or tips? No spoilers please.
I'm kind of hit and miss (no pun intended) on that mechanic, but I think I've got it down now.

However, I'm not sure I'd describe it properly without putting the disk in and taking notes, so I'll hold off for the moment. Definitely keep doing the duels with the hints or guide or whatever they call it on-screen and really follow closely what they're telling you.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #1428
Kodos
Resident Alien

I suck at duels.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #1429
rowech
Pro Starter

Duels -- L2 or L1, I forget which...think it's L2. Pull back on right stick slow to medium pace. Fire button as the crosshairs go up the man. You can get 6 shots off easy and drill the guy if you pace it right.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #1430
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post

In the list of challenges while playing as Jordan you have to do things like outscore Dominique and hold Drexler to under 20 so at least some of the real players are in the game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #1431
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is anyone picking up Mafia 2 when it comes out in a couple weeks? I played the demo and it's pretty good and I also liked the first game way back when.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #1432
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Is anyone picking up Mafia 2 when it comes out in a couple weeks? I played the demo and it's pretty good and I also liked the first game way back when.

Need to try the demo...
Old 08-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #1433
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Victoria 2 is by far the most stable and polished Paradox Interactive game on its release date that I've played. I'm really enjoying it, what a difference from HOI3 (which I still haven't put much time into, now I'm waiting for the expansion pack to go on sale).

I'm playing as the US and doing pretty well I think. I have every province of the Lower 48 under my control except for Northern Maine which starts British (and there is no event for the boundary adjustment unlike Victoria 1). I've fought two wars with Mexico, the first to protect Texas was a stalemate and the second one was to take what the real life USA did in the Mexican-American War and the Gadsden Purchase.

Sandwiched in between those two wars was an early (1850) Civil War, I had a decent military and most of the soldiers came from Northern provinces so the South didn't have much of a military at the start of the war. With the manpower advantage and some help from my allies (it was kind of funny to see units from Brazil, Venezuela, and the United States of Central America fighting the Confederacy) I was able to occupy the South in about a year and end the war.

Since then I've just been trying to develop the economy (it's a lot less hands-on than the first game, you try to influence things but can't split POPs or manually promote), encourage political and social reforms, and increase/maintain my influence over the countries of Central and South America. I'm not sure if I want to try colonizing Africa or invading British Canada on my first game. Maybe Cuba.

If anyone is on the fence due to the state of previous PI games right after the release date, give it a shot.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #1434
bhlloy
Coordinator

Never played Victoria 1 - from the screenshots this looks like HOI set in the 19th century with more social/economic control over your country. Is that a fair assessment?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #1435
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah that sums it up pretty well. The game starts in 1836 and ends in 1936. It is less deterministic like HOI3 and EU3 as opposed to EU2 and HOI2.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #1436
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Victoria 2 is by far the most stable and polished Paradox Interactive game on its release date that I've played. I'm really enjoying it, what a difference from HOI3 (which I still haven't put much time into, now I'm waiting for the expansion pack to go on sale).

I'm playing as the US and doing pretty well I think. I have every province of the Lower 48 under my control except for Northern Maine which starts British (and there is no event for the boundary adjustment unlike Victoria 1). I've fought two wars with Mexico, the first to protect Texas was a stalemate and the second one was to take what the real life USA did in the Mexican-American War and the Gadsden Purchase.

Sandwiched in between those two wars was an early (1850) Civil War, I had a decent military and most of the soldiers came from Northern provinces so the South didn't have much of a military at the start of the war. With the manpower advantage and some help from my allies (it was kind of funny to see units from Brazil, Venezuela, and the United States of Central America fighting the Confederacy) I was able to occupy the South in about a year and end the war.

Since then I've just been trying to develop the economy (it's a lot less hands-on than the first game, you try to influence things but can't split POPs or manually promote), encourage political and social reforms, and increase/maintain my influence over the countries of Central and South America. I'm not sure if I want to try colonizing Africa or invading British Canada on my first game. Maybe Cuba.

If anyone is on the fence due to the state of previous PI games right after the release date, give it a shot.
that sounds really fun!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #1437
Groundhog
Coordinator

Anyone played the Paradox title Knights of Honor, from back in 2004? I picked it up off Steam last night for (IIRC) $16 after having it on my wishlist for a few months, and man, it's a pretty awesome little title.

It's sort of a lighter version of CK's family dynasty engine mixed in with a Total War-esque combat engine and fairly deep diplomacy screen.

One of the neat features is the ability to have 9 knights, each of whom can specialise in military/trade/religion/building/etc. Definitely recommend it for the price it's going for on Steam, I can see myself getting good usage out of it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #1438
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I was thinking of getting that game myself to tide me over until Civ 5 comes out,
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #1439
TroyF
Coordinator

With all the traveling I've been doing, I've been played a ton of my favorite PSP game, WipeOut Pure. I never did get the PS3 WipeOut, is it worth the dough?

I started playing the PC version of Arkhane Asylum. How in the hell did I miss this one? Terrific game.

The 360 had a ridiculous month of sales in July. Over 443,000 units sold.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #1440
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I never did get the PS3 WipeOut, is it worth the dough?

WipeoutHD is awesome, just for the graphical "rush" alone (but the gameplay is tons of fun as well). If you can get it cheap somewhere this is kind of a no-brainer if you like the concept/series, imo
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #1441
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

I'll never learn.

V2 isn't unplayable like HOI3, but there are a lot of problems. Just a few things I noticed while playing a single USA game.

Never did the AI retreat an army before it was wiped out completely.

By 1860 it was running as slow as molasses

Getting huge spheres of influence is way to easy especially when you don't even need to have good relations with the country in question

But, it's also way to easy to completely remove a great power from a country through diplomacy

The game starts with a factory in New England that would never attract workers and continued to go bankrupt

By 1860 the top two population groups in Mexico were British and German

There's an endless series of the same events. I saw the same event over fifty times

All that's without really keeping track. I'm going to head over to the Paradox boards and see what others have found.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #1442
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'll never learn.

V2 isn't unplayable like HOI3, but there are a lot of problems. Just a few things I noticed while playing a single USA game.

Never did the AI retreat an army before it was wiped out completely.

By 1860 it was running as slow as molasses

Getting huge spheres of influence is way to easy especially when you don't even need to have good relations with the country in question

But, it's also way to easy to completely remove a great power from a country through diplomacy

The game starts with a factory in New England that would never attract workers and continued to go bankrupt

By 1860 the top two population groups in Mexico were British and German

There's an endless series of the same events. I saw the same event over fifty times

All that's without really keeping track. I'm going to head over to the Paradox boards and see what others have found.

For some reason PI added a rule where an army cannot retreat until the battle has been going on for at least 12 days. When armies get wiped out completely it happens quickly in my experience.

Which event did you see that many times? I had a few repeating ones (the national tragedy, a few having to do with anti-slavery pamphlets and pro-slavery groups in the led up to the Civil War) but nothing nearly that bad.

After playing another two decades I've seen it is too easy to get countries into your SoI (within a few years I was able to add Japan and China starting from scratch, great for my economy but none of the Euro Great Powers tried to stop me). And I think the SoIs are too powerful which would really annoy me if I were not playing as a Great Power.

I find what you posted about Mexico and the predominant nationalities there interesting. Most people seem to think that cultural assimilation happens far too quickly (Ireland being mostly British, Algeria mostly French, Finland mostly Russian, etc. within a few decades from the start of the game). Mexico must be getting a ton of British and German immigrants in your game. Or do you mean those two countries took a large chuck of Mexican territory?

In typical PI style there are a lot of things to be ironed out for sure but I'm still enjoying it more than their previous games right after the release. I've also added some mods on the forums (to slow assimilation, to reduce the amount of rebels, and reduce craftsman and capitalist goods demands) to fix things a little until the next patch comes out.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #1443
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I didn't know about the twelve day rule. Seems really stupid IMO, as battles didn't last that long in that era. We don't talk about what happened on day 12 of Gettysburg.

The anti-slavery and slavery group formation was excessive as was the southern belle event. After the Civil War (1848) I got the regional trade fair almost every year.

I think the whole SOI is a great idea implemented poorly. It really fucks up he game afaic.

British and Germans were immigrants. No way they should overtake the native/Spanish population in less than thirty years playing time.

It's definitely better than HOI3 at release, but I should know to wait for a few months before purchasing from PI.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #1444
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FIFA 11 will feature a new Goalkeeper mode, and will allow for full 11 v. 11 online play!

Gaming - News - 'FIFA' to feature new goalkeeper mode - Digital Spy
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #1445
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I like that FIFA 11 will a little slower than previous games.

I'm not happy that there will be the same number of national teams as in FIFA 10. Guess I'll sell FIFA 10 but keep the World Cup game.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #1446
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Online 11v11??

That's pretty damn sweet.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #1447
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Online 11v11??

That's pretty damn sweet.

It sounds exciting but I think it might be very difficult to play that way.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #1448
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It sounds exciting but I think it might be very difficult to play that way.

true
Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #1449
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Should work so long as you have the ability to drop in-and-out.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #1450
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, who's getting this on XBL?

Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote