Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #1401
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Actually, I think the first thing they refer to makes a lot of sense. The second one, not so much.

Except that yesterday the reporter tweeted an apology and Spicer tweeted back that he accepted the apology.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #1402
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Man, Trump is really obsessed with that inauguration attendance number. What's the over/under on how many inauguration attendance jokes SNL does tonight?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #1403
cuervo72
Head Coach

Spicer is going to die of an aneurysm up there at some point.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #1404
Easy Mac

If the Press Corps had any balls, they would have just walked out during Spicer's rant.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #1405
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Except that yesterday the reporter tweeted an apology and Spicer tweeted back that he accepted the apology.

Not to be a nitpicker here - but even so - to post that on your twitter feed as a reporter is irresponsible, isn't it? Don't we expect more from the media? I don't care if you apologize afterwards, you've fed the masses exactly what they are expecting to see, truth be damned.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #1406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
For me, I'd put more stock in the numbers of people that showed up today versus yesterday than I would likes on a comment.

Those folks have to come back to reality soon ... although frankly a lot us are hoping they'll just stay in DC.

We'll tolerate one weekend of idiotic foolishness, we've had a lot of practice at that unfortunately ... I'm simply not sure how much longer that's going to be true.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #1407
Easy Mac

Quote:
Not to be a nitpicker here - but even so - to post that on your twitter feed as a reporter is irresponsible, isn't it? Don't we expect more from the media? I don't care if you apologize afterwards, you've fed the masses exactly what they are expecting to see, truth be damned.

Maybe its because I'm old, but i don't assume that anything posted on twitter is true, or is an official source of news.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #1408
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Man, Trump is really obsessed with that inauguration attendance number. What's the over/under on how many inauguration attendance jokes SNL does tonight?

Outside chance at a Baghdad Bob reference as well.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #1409
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A simple correction and a message to double check would have been appropriate. The rant delivered by Spicer was ridiculous. They're going to go crazy if they think this is a proper response to every error reported.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #1410
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
A simple correction and a message to double check would have been appropriate. The rant delivered by Spicer was ridiculous. They're going to go crazy if they think this is a proper response to every error reported.

Trump and the Media - YouTube

(Jon will love this)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #1411
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

They're this unhinged on day 2?

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #1412
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I don't get the last one - are you saying the Bush years had or did not have personal and salacious scandal?

Also - to #1, Obama was anti-gay marriage upon being elected. I think we ALL grew up as a country in the past 8 years, though I'm not sure Obama can take credit for that one.

Poor writing, but we've had 16 years without a personal scandal at the Presidential level. I disagreed with a lot of Bush policy, and some Obama policy, but I believe they're both fundamentally decent people with the best interest of the country in the forefront of their thoughts.

On your second point, I wasn't really trying to give Obama credit, but it did happen on his watch with his support, though he was admittedly late to the game.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #1413
RainMaker
General Manager

I didn't expect him to get that butthurt over turnout. Why does he care so much?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #1414
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think he does. It's sound and fury, signifying nothing. I think the point is to be constantly inventing small issues for people to laugh at and be sidetracked by. To an extent, it works. Whether it keeps working as well remains to be seen, but I think it's a mostly intentional distraction technique.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #1415
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I didn't expect him to get that butthurt over turnout. Why does he care so much?

Continued attacks on the media. Everything is fake news.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-21-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #1416
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Continued attacks on the media. Everything is fake news.

+1
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #1417
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Everything is fake news.

Sadly this will have the biggest and longest impact on America well after Trump is gone.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #1418
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What's funny is that most of the people saying he cares about the turnout numbers actually care just as much as he does... just pull out your cocks and measure them already so we can move on...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #1419
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd advise those determined to "make a stand" to choose wisely where they do so, otherwise they may just find themselves run over.

I'd advise those attempting to run me over, you better be sure you can get me the first time... Because I'm not going down easily, and what may look like an easy target from behind is actually a brick fucking wall from up close.

Enjoy the four years your going to get now. Because once they're over, as miserable as you thought you were before? You ain't seen nothin yet.

I'm talking interracial gay couples smoking pot, stealing music, and fucking on your front lawn while they're serving the warrant to take away your guns. Oh yeah. It's gonna happen.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:40 PM   #1420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I'd advise those attempting to run me over, you better be sure you can get me the first time

Yawn. Easy, difficult, really not an issue. When a job needs doing, Trump supporters are the sort of people that will get it done. I actually appreciate the easiest nails to spot, they get hammered first.

We've looked the death of a nation squarely in the eye and none too soon pulled back from the brink. Now it's time to regain ground, begin to rebuild ... and leave no enemy standing.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #1421
cuervo72
Head Coach

So they can get a job done, they just can't find one?
Old 01-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #1422
cuervo72
Head Coach

I also, again, find it rich that folks will say others need to come back to reality after a weekend while still flying a flag representing a fake country from 150 years ago.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #1423
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yawn. Easy, difficult, really not an issue. When a job needs doing, Trump supporters are the sort of people that will get it done. I actually appreciate the easiest nails to spot, they get hammered first.

We've looked the death of a nation squarely in the eye and none too soon pulled back from the brink. Now it's time to regain ground, begin to rebuild ... and leave no enemy standing.

Yawn. You bloviate all the fucking time. The importance of your particular views, in this case, the non-specific threatening (again?) of an entire population of Americans (your real enemy), are pretty weak. When Trump talks about America first, you get excited thinking he means who's up first for the firing squads.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:23 AM   #1424
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So they can get a job done, they just can't find one?

Ok this was good.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #1425
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Early nominee for "Most Shade Thrown In A Non-Deadspin Headline"

White House press secretary attacks media for accurately reporting inauguration crowds - Jan. 21, 2017
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #1426
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yawn. You bloviate all the fucking time. The importance of your particular views, in this case, the non-specific threatening (again?) of an entire population of Americans (your real enemy), are pretty weak. When Trump talks about America first, you get excited thinking he means who's up first for the firing squads.

I don't know man, I mean he got 100 likes on a blog post. 100 LIKES!!!!

That alone should tell you how serious this is.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #1427
PilotMan
Head Coach

This might be the most important takeaway from the inauguration:

Donald Trump’s Inauguration Cake Was Plagiarized, Too

Quote:
MacIsaac also told the Post she was surprised her “cake” ended up getting so much attention because it was made almost entirely of styrofoam (only the bottom three inches of it were edible). Goldman’s cake, in contrast, was composed of nine differently-flavored layers of cake, because it was an actual cake.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #1428
QuikSand
lolzcat

What a dummy, agreed. Spending time talking about how many people attended the inauguration...and cakes...and busts. Totally agreed there's no point at all to discussing these things so much. They are obviously a bunch of fools.

(pause)

Cabinet nominees? Conflicts of interest? Grizzly bears? Mortgage insurance?

Hmmm... haven't heard about any of that lately, nope.

Coincidence, I'm sure.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #1429
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
School would have been so much easier if I would have known I could use "alternative facts".
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-22-2017 at 11:02 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #1430
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Also - to #1, Obama was anti-gay marriage upon being elected. I think we ALL grew up as a country in the past 8 years, though I'm not sure Obama can take credit for that one.

We didn't ALL grow up, though. In fact, Obama's opponent in that election is still anti-gay marriage and anti-gays in the military. It's still included in the Republican party platform. I think Obama deserves some credit because: 1) He pushed for the passage of and signed the bill that repealed DADT. 2) His justice department participated in the cases that that overturned DOMA and overturned gay marriage bans. 3) He nominated two of the justices who were in the majority of those 5-4 decisions.

He played politics in 2008 because he didn't think the public was ready to accept a pro-gay marriage candidate. We could argue about whether that was the right thing to do, but he does deserve credit for the actions he did take, all of which he did despite significant opposition.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #1431
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Love these gigapixel photos. So cool how you can zoom in with so much detail despite things being so far away.

Gigapixel: The inauguration of Donald Trump
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #1432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I didn't say anything about firing squads.

My initial reference was that, at some point, I believe that in the absence of adequate action by law enforcement or the military, we the people are finally going to put an end to animals rioting in the streets. And most likely the end to morons blocking traffic and lunatics screaming unintelligibly. In short, I believe all the overdone tolerance of the intolerable is about to end.

And, yes, that will be a beautiful beautiful thing.

Fuck a firing squad, I'm saying that the sane voters that put in the new administration are feeling more empowered, having actually HOPE for the first time in a long time. Things never should have been allowed to reach the point they have, but I believe a significant and long overdue course correction is coming.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #1433
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Love these gigapixel photos. So cool how you can zoom in with so much detail despite things being so far away.

Gigapixel: The inauguration of Donald Trump

This is pretty cool. How much do these cameras cost?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #1434
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
This is pretty cool. How much do these cameras cost?

They use normal DSLRs, but take many photos and stitch them together.

How to Shoot an Ultrahigh Resolution 7-Gigapixel Photo ---- Tutorial | Chase Jarvis Photography
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #1435
digamma
Torchbearer

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #1436
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

McCain and Graham both say they will vote for Tillerson.

But I'm sure they're concerned.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #1437
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Looking from the outside, it's quite scary to hear the president of the USA talk about journalism like that. Because it basically means the media in the USA is collectively downright lying to the public, or the three days in function president is. Even if it's just about attendance figures.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #1438
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Because it basically means the media in the USA is collectively downright lying to the public

Wait (and I'm being serious in asking this) ... you mean that isn't something that's widely realized elsewhere?

While the American public is still pretty gullible, I'm not sure that there are many people here that wouldn't say that at least some subset of the media (be it FoxNews or the leftwing consortium of other networks) is routinely spinning things to the point of lying on a regular basis. And that's on top of the percentage that would say all of them are lying routinely.

In other words, I imagine most Americans think at least some of the media are frequent liars.

Not sure I ever thought much about the issue of whether people elsewhere realized that situation, but your comment raised an interesting point that I'd never really considered.

So, I'll ask: are the leading Dutch news outlet(s) considered believable/trustworthy, or are they viewed at home the same way we view ours here?
Old 01-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #1439
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Wait (and I'm being serious in asking this) ... you mean that isn't something that's widely realized elsewhere?

While the American public is still pretty gullible, I'm not sure that there are many people here that wouldn't say that at least some subset of the media (be it FoxNews or the leftwing consortium of other networks) is routinely spinning things to the point of lying on a regular basis. And that's on top of the percentage that would say all of them are lying routinely.

In other words, I imagine most Americans think at least some of the media are frequent liars.

Not sure I ever thought much about the issue of whether people elsewhere realized that situation, but your comment raised an interesting point that I'd never really considered.

So, I'll ask: are the leading Dutch news outlet(s) considered believable/trustworthy, or are they viewed at home the same way we view ours here?

There's no doubt media, in general, spins things and some outlets blatantly lie. The Trump administration attacking minor things, including things the media has correct, is what's worrisome.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #1440
Easy Mac

psshh, these things are useless anyway. The UN couldn't even protect us from Ebola.

Bill introduced to remove US from United Nations
Old 01-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #1441
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Just waiting for any world leader to drop the "Yo mama so fat" joke that starts world war III.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #1442
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know why it has to be one or the other. The media is slanted and has been poorly reporting news or sensationalizing it for decades now. Trump is also a pathological liar with a personality disorder.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #1444
RainMaker
General Manager

I am happy to see that TPP will not be going through. The whole trade agreement seemed sketchy from the start.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #1445
Easy Mac

At least they admit that performance art from Friday wasn't an actual briefing.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #1446
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know why it has to be one or the other. The media is slanted and has been poorly reporting news or sensationalizing it for decades now. Trump is also a pathological liar with a personality disorder.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #1447
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
There's no doubt media, in general, spins things and some outlets blatantly lie. The Trump administration attacking minor things, including things the media has correct, is what's worrisome.

Why? Are you incapable of posting you're thoughts here AND doing your job? Is this consuming you? I seriously doubt it. Trump is just advertising and he can speak his mind and do his job. It's not one or the other. A lot of people have been waiting for the press to do a better job and I hope this helps.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #1448
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Why? Are you incapable of posting you're thoughts here AND doing your job? Is this consuming you? I seriously doubt it. Trump is just advertising and he can speak his mind and do his job. It's not one or the other. A lot of people have been waiting for the press to do a better job and I hope this helps.

You're missing the point. It's not about the size of the inauguration crowds or anything else like that. It's the fact that they appear to be serious about their attacks on the media and possibly limiting the access of certain news organizations.

Its not the government's job to keep the media in check nor should it be. Every administration should be subject to criticism from the media and its people. Trump and his administration seem to think they shouldn't be.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #1449
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
A lot of people have been waiting for the press to do a better job and I hope this helps.

I think that's probably overly optimistic.

It'll take more than something this minor to snap CNN back into reality.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #1450
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
psshh, these things are useless anyway. The UN couldn't even protect us from Ebola.

Bill introduced to remove US from United Nations

Is the U.S. Pulling Out of the United Nations? : snopes.com