Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #14901
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
You think Amazon Prime Day is a coincidence? Sheeple.

Maybe the government will lend Amazon some drones so they can still deliver packages to the FEMA camps.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #14902
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
This is not true of MMA.

Okay. I honestly have never watched, aside from the occasional commercial or maybe something that I came across while flipping through channels. Are contests decided on points or something, like in real wrestling?

Last edited by Kodos : 07-13-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #14903
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Okay. I honestly have never watched, aside from the occasional commercial or maybe something that I saw flipping through. Are contests decided on points or something, like in real wrestling?

They can be on points, like boxing. But he's referring to getting an opponent in a submission hold, and making them quit.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #14904
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ahh. In general, none of the head-to-head fighting sports do anything for me, except in movies. Boxing movies are fun.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #14905
molson
General Manager

I'd say MMA fighters, depending on their strategy, often are trying to knockout their opponent. The difference between MMA and boxing or football is that if an MMA fighter loses consciousness, even for a second, the competition is over (and that doesn't really happen that often - TKOs, submissions, and judge's decisions are far more frequent). In Boxing and football, if you get your bell rung, you get a chance to recover and then you get to get back into the competition for more brain trauma. Which is so much more dangerous.

Edit: Personally, I can stomach watching all three (though I prefer MMA these days). I've glad we know more about the risks so people can make their own informed decisions (both participants and viewers). But I think the UFC was ahead of the NFL in terms of taking this stuff seriously. And even today, you have a good chunk of the NFL fanbase, including a bunch of posters here, mock the newer rules intended to promote player safety.

Last edited by molson : 07-13-2015 at 11:06 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #14906
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Chick Fil A by work now has a thing where they have to go behind the counter to get your lemonade (instead of having it out by the drink fountains where they used to).

I assume this is because people kept taking lemonade without paying the lemonade upcharge. People suck. Theft is theft even if you are "just" stealing some lemonade. Now everyone's life is slightly less convenient because of it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #14907
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The Chick Fil A by work now has a thing where they have to go behind the counter to get your lemonade (instead of having it out by the drink fountains where they used to).

I assume this is because people kept taking lemonade without paying the lemonade upcharge. People suck. Theft is theft even if you are "just" stealing some lemonade. Now everyone's life is slightly less convenient because of it.

You are also less likely to get a refill for the road if you have to wait in line for it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #14908
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really didn't need to be tagged in 31 photos yesterday(that I wasn't even in) and on top of that my MIL didn't need to like them all.

I probably should just delete my Facebook
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #14909
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
You are also less likely to get a refill for the road if you have to wait in line for it.

I'm pretty anti refill for the road. No need to introduce more trash to throw away to a car.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #14910
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't understand how two guys kicking the crap out of each other and causing each other brain damage is a sport. But to each his own.

At least arguably one of the oldest sports in existence.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #14911
Butter
Coordinator

All of the Chick Fil A's around here have all drinks behind the counter. So I do not identify with your issues.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #14912
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
All of the Chick Fil A's around here have all drinks behind the counter. So I do not identify with your issues.

There are only two Chick Fil A's in the entire state of Michigan.

I now know the pain of someone who does not live in the first world and hears people complain about First World Problems.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #14913
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Oh, and nice job, Pumpy!

Isn't there a difference between the lanes professional bowlers use and the ones Joe Schmo uses down at the Galaxy Bowl?
Thanks.

Also, yes. The pros bowl on what we would call "sport shots." I can't remember for sure, but I think my high game is around 220 on a sport shot, and I only averaged a little over 160 in the last sport shot league I did. By contrast, on a "house shot" (the ol' Joe Schmo shot), I have a 300, a 289, two 288s, and probably 40 or 50 more games from 275-279.

They're completely different lane conditions, so I'm definitely not ready to go pro or anything. Maybe someday...
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #14914
Kodos
Resident Alien

That would be awesome!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #14915
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thank the Jewish god this fucking rotweiller will be the fuck out of my house today. I'm generally a nice guy, but this asshole dog acts like it's a fucking home invasion if I have to go upstairs to use the bathroom at night. Hey asshole dog, it's my fucking house.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #14916
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The oldest living person in the world was born before the Wright brothers had their first powered flight. Yesterday we got back pics from a probe that was sent to study Pluto. Let that sink in for a minute.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #14917
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The oldest living person in the world was born before the Wright brothers had their first powered flight. Yesterday we got back pics from a probe that was sent to study Pluto. Let that sink in for a minute.

And Pluto was around 30 years from being discovered when that person was born.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #14918
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Even with the internet, I think the world changed more in the first half of that old person's life than the second half. We're slowing down. We couldn't even get hoverboards by 2015.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #14919
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Even with the internet, I think the world changed more in the first half of that old person's life than the second half. We're slowing down. We couldn't even get hoverboards by 2015.

Farthest flight by hoverboard - Guinness World Records - YouTube

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #14920
molson
General Manager

Awesome, that does give me some hope for the future of mankind.

Imagine you're out boating, minding your own business, and you see that. He should have waited until he had about 20 hoverboards He could have gotten a bunch of people to dress up like Mad Max-esque futuristic warriors and then descend on some small town.

Last edited by molson : 07-15-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #14921
nol
Banned

Quote:

The New York Times does not want you to let that sink in:

nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #14922
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
The New York Times does not want you to let that sink in:

That's an interesting comment, but really presumptuous to be so definite. Who knows what kind of advances or discoveries there will be in the next 10, 20, 30, or even 50 years? I think cartman's comment goes to this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #14923
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Changing the labels on various 2 yr / lower-end 4 yr post-secondary schools doesn't appear to have changed the reality of a lot of their graduates.

"University" or "College" or whatever, the label has really been cheapened by those sorts of moves IMO.

**observation stems from dealing with an unusual string of accounting graduates from those types of institutions over the past few months. I'm not sure they could hit triple digit IQ if you added all of them together.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #14924
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

June Foray was a total voice talent badass

June Foray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #14925
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Well today is the big in-laws family reunion. Sadly I could not attend. Tomorrow starts the annual pre reunion bitch fest over next year's event. There will be much bitching, blocking, and fighting all over Facebook. How dare someone wanna host the event in a place that *gasp* charges 8 while dollars for parking.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #14926
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
charges 8 while dollars for parking.

Jesus, how many relatives you got?

(seriously, that's gotta be either a really exclusive spot, a small spot in an unusual location, or a metric shit ton of relatives & you're having a reunion in an arena)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #14927
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's at fort Niagara park, they charge an entrance fee of $8 per car. It's grown ass people getting angry over something that trivial. Plus the park has swimming for a nominal fee and such.

The angry people are typically the poster children for abysmal family planning.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #14928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's at fort Niagara park, they charge an entrance fee of $8 per car. It's grown ass people getting angry over something that trivial. Plus the park has swimming for a nominal fee and such.

K, the disconnect there was that I read your use of the word "parking" entirely literally. I have to admit that I'd never heard of a family reunion (aside from WDW "reunions") that were anywhere with a parking fee.

Now an entry fee, those are common to state parks afaik & I know of several of those that have been used for family reunions over my lifetime.

Funny thing I guess, same amount of money but the former -- just to be honest -- had me scratching my head & possibly flinching too, the latter doesn't seem all that odd to me.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #14929
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
K, the disconnect there was that I read your use of the word "parking" entirely literally. I have to admit that I'd never heard of a family reunion (aside from WDW "reunions") that were anywhere with a parking fee.

Now an entry fee, those are common to state parks afaik & I know of several of those that have been used for family reunions over my lifetime.

Funny thing I guess, same amount of money but the former -- just to be honest -- had me scratching my head & possibly flinching too, the latter doesn't seem all that odd to me.

oh, yeah, Sorry, didn't mean to be obtuse. Her mom paid like 90-ish for the pavilion, bought a lot of the food. And people get angry over parking. Also several of them have literally 5+ kids so I'm sure they're just raking in the foodstamps but they actually are the garbage type of people that would sell them to buy drugs.

Last edited by stevew : 07-18-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #14930
QuikSand
lolzcat

I love how a modestly funny thing can somehow just top over and generate hilarity.

Mrs Q and I were driving, she mentioned a tweet from some "news of the weird" feed about a bear breaking into a bakery. Apparently it cleaned the place out completely save a half dozen pies - the strawberry rhubarb, which happens to be my very favorite.

Anyway, this spins into a little riff of how I could team up with the bear amd take down the whole place. Soon enough, we've got a half baked SNL sketch cooked up where the bear and I are fist bumping and working through blueprints and such, as we prepare to pull off a bank heist style caper involving some unsuspecting bakery. So, kinda funny, I guess, mostly how absurd it is in contrast to my rather mild-mannered and non-gansta persona.

Anyhow, we end up nearly having to pull the car over, we are both laughing so hard over this stupid schtick. Like painful laughing. Really weird.

Anyway, specifics aside...it's a funny thing when it happens.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #14931
britrock88
Pro Starter

britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #14932
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I love how a modestly funny thing can somehow just top over and generate hilarity.

Mrs Q and I were driving, she mentioned a tweet from some "news of the weird" feed about a bear breaking into a bakery. Apparently it cleaned the place out completely save a half dozen pies - the strawberry rhubarb, which happens to be my very favorite.

Anyway, this spins into a little riff of how I could team up with the bear amd take down the whole place. Soon enough, we've got a half baked SNL sketch cooked up where the bear and I are fist bumping and working through blueprints and such, as we prepare to pull off a bank heist style caper involving some unsuspecting bakery. So, kinda funny, I guess, mostly how absurd it is in contrast to my rather mild-mannered and non-gansta persona.

Anyhow, we end up nearly having to pull the car over, we are both laughing so hard over this stupid schtick. Like painful laughing. Really weird.

Anyway, specifics aside...it's a funny thing when it happens.

There's gotta be a minute long sequence where you attempt to set up a fantasy style draft with the bear of the different types of pies in the bakery with an elaborate sticker board. The bear doesn't get the concept of a snake draft and keeps selecting until there is only one pie left for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #14933
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Soon enough, we've got a half baked SNL sketch cooked up

Leaving the comedic merits of your exchange out of this, I bet this is how some awful sketches get on SNL. A couple of writers come up with something that when they are riffing they think is hilarious, then it goes over like a lead balloon because it really isn't funny to anybody else.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #14934
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Sandler Theory
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #14935
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Blog is updated, as I try (and largely fail) to come up with some coherent commentary on the murder of a local police officer this week. First Athens officer killed in the line of duty since 1936.

Last Call | Jon's Three Cents

More than four years after the attack, admitted cop-killer Jamie Hood is convicted today for the murder of Athens-Clarke County Police Office Buddy Christian, the attempted murder of Officer Tony Howard and the malice murder of Omari Wray (cousin of the cocaine dealer Hood worked for).

He was acquitted on virtually all kidnapping & other charges related to the alleged "hostages" that were part of his made-for-TV negotiated surrender drama.

Death penalty/sentencing phase of the trial will now begin.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-20-2015 at 04:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #14936
Schmidty
Coordinator

Has this thread killed FOFC? I think so.

People are derided for creating random, inquisitory, social posts that were usually responded to and noticed, but now that this thread is here, no one bothers.

When we had a lot more traffic, I suppose this thread was relevant, but it just seems like the Jupiter of FOFC: It sucks in all of the discussions that friends talk about.

I am starting to hate this thread.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #14937
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Has this thread killed FOFC? I think so.

People are derided for creating random, inquisitory, social posts that were usually responded to and noticed, but now that this thread is here, no one bothers.

When we had a lot more traffic, I suppose this thread was relevant, but it just seems like the Jupiter of FOFC: It sucks in all of the discussions that friends talk about.

I am starting to hate this thread.

Well in MY case this is where my original post on the subject first appeared four years ago (yeah, I had to search to find it). The follow-up, therefore, fits I believe.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #14938
Schmidty
Coordinator

Yep. This place is dead. Fuck it.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #14939
Dutch
"Dutch"

Shark survives attack by Australian surfer
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #14940
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Why not make it a new thread?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #14941
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. This place is dead. Fuck it.

No, this place is a Mecca, man.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #14942
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

The guy was completely unhurt, surely if the shark attacked him it would have got a bite in first when it was behind him. As it was it swam close to him and he punched it.

Headline should really be "Australian Surfer Attacks Fish".
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #14943
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Australian Rules Football is just an organized version of Kill the Man With the Ball. Incredibly fun to watch.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #14944
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dunno about Australia with all the snakes, spiders, sharks and Iggy Azalea
Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #14945
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Why not make it a new thread?

Unlike Jon, I don't plan to revisit this in 4 years.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #14946
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dunno about Australia with all the snakes, spiders, sharks and Iggy Azalea

Despite Australia's relative size and deadliness, I was fascinated to see it pointed out that the kangaroo is the largest indigenous mammal. Probably a good thing, as an Australian version of something like the hippo would've likely destroyed humanity eons ago.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #14947
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Despite Australia's relative size and deadliness, I was fascinated to see it pointed out that the kangaroo is the largest indigenous mammal. Probably a good thing, as an Australian version of something like the hippo would've likely destroyed humanity eons ago.

Australian Grizzly Bear=poop pants.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #14948
Schmidty
Coordinator

Can we just delete this stupid thread and all of it's stupid comments? Cockless cowards.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #14949
Autumn
Head Coach

Mods, could we have each post in this thread put in its own thread, please?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #14950
Butter
Coordinator

I would prefer some kind of arbitration about which posts deserve their own threads and which ones don't.

Kind of like Death Panels, but for posts.